GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (thebarber), 167 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,426
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,830
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,507
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,305
Posts1,058,289
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: War with Iran? [Re: klydon1] #637488
02/29/12 02:20 PM
02/29/12 02:20 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: klydon1
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
Quote:
Israeli officials say they won't warn the U.S. if they decide to launch a pre-emptive strike against Iranian nuclear facilities, according to one U.S. intelligence official familiar with the discussions. The pronouncement, delivered in a series of private, top-level conversations, sets a tense tone ahead of meetings in the coming days at the White House and Capitol Hill.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/27/ap-source-israel-wont-warn-us-before-iran-strike/#ixzz1nn1NmK3L

That's one dance we'd be well advised to sit out.

It's really scary. We visited the Holy Land when my children were little. I'd really like to go back some day and take it all in without the pressure of entertaining the kids, but you couldn't get me to feel safe enough right now.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #637493
02/29/12 02:30 PM
02/29/12 02:30 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
First of all, I can't imagine the strategic plan Israel would employ against Iran. I posted elsewhere that a typical squadron contains about 20-25 planes. Israel would have to fly several squadrons to hit Iran's nuclear facilities (which are scattered across Iran) and that would be about all the combat aircraft that Israel could assign to the attack. Israeli aircraft would have to traverse the airspace of at least two hostile countries. Once over Iran they could encounter Iranian aircraft and flack which is bound to down a few of them. Then there is the problem of refueling since it's a 2,000 mile roundtrip.

Last edited by olivant; 02/29/12 02:35 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: War with Iran? [Re: olivant] #637503
02/29/12 03:05 PM
02/29/12 03:05 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline OP
ronnierocketAGO  Offline OP
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: olivant
First of all, I can't imagine the strategic plan Israel would employ against Iran.

Not just that, but what plan is there for afterwards?

If the strikes happen, what is the follow-up military/diplomatic response to keep nukes out of Iran?
What if the strikes fail to stop a nuclear Iran?
Response to last question, do you then commence more strikes or invasion?
What if Israel goes it alone with America's knowledge or consent?
If that happens, how will they help the Americans that become targets of terrorism for something they're not even in league with?

There's more, but I'm too depressed to consider them.

If they really do this without our support, Obama should grow a apair and do in response as Eisenhower told Israel/UK/France over the Suez Canal: No Thank You. It might cost him the election, but god dammit you're the Commander-in-Chief of the American Armed Forces. You don't take your orders from a foreign government, much less pander to their little games.

The whole idea of a nation the size of New Jersey bullying a big nation like America into war is just fucked up. Even with our "stupid" wars, America went into them willingly by initiative or response.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #637505
02/29/12 03:15 PM
02/29/12 03:15 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I don't think Israel will attack for the reasons you expressed. Also, there's no guarantee that the attack would succeed.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: olivant] #637508
02/29/12 03:38 PM
02/29/12 03:38 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
I don't think Israel will attack for the reasons you expressed.

I'm not that optimistic. Why wouldn't Netanyahu think he's got the administration by the balls on this issue?

Or put it another way: Netanyahu is Chris Brown, America is Rihanna. Where logic is trumped by nonsense.

Also, there's no guarantee that the attack would succeed.

If you mean "succeed" as in actually destroying the program, I'm not sure how it can? The Iranian government may be run by sociopathic evil people (necessary component for dictatorships), but they're not stupid. Not all of their nuclear materials are stored at the locations, spots on the map that's passed around the Internet lately. Or even at targets on our confidental maps.

For all we know, they've quietly smuggled them into the basement of the local McDonalds. Or better yet: A hospital! A Mosque!

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #637569
02/29/12 09:39 PM
02/29/12 09:39 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
Netanyahu lobbying U.S. Senators against Obama

Quote:
Netanyahu and his advisers briefed a group of senators and senior congressmen during the past two weeks on the Iranian issue, and asked them to pressure Obama on the matter. Last week, Netanyahu met a group of five senior senators over lunch, headed by Sen. John McCain, who ran four years ago against Obama for president. Netanyahu reportedly told the senators he was not interfering in U.S. politics and expected U.S. officials not to interfere in Israeli politics either.

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/netanyahu-will-ask-obama-to-threaten-iran-strike-1.415428

McCain later says:

Quote:
"There should be no daylight between America and Israel in our assessment of the [Iranian] threat. Unfortunately there clearly is some."

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #637570
02/29/12 09:47 PM
02/29/12 09:47 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
Low support in Israel for Threatened Strikes

Quote:
A new poll of Israeli public opinion found surprisingly low levels of support for a military strike against Iran -- and especially if Israel has to go it alone. Just 19 percent of Israelis believe that Israel should strike Iran's nuclear facilities if it must do so without American support. A significantly higher number -- 42 percent -- support a military strike if Israel has American support. Thirty-four percent do not support a military strike at all.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/29/iran-israel-solo-attack_n_1310765.html?ref=world

Obama, read this. Use it to make some brass balls for yourself.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #637571
02/29/12 09:54 PM
02/29/12 09:54 PM
Frosty Offline
BANNED
Frosty  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
Low support in Israel for Threatened Strikes

Quote:
A new poll of Israeli public opinion found surprisingly low levels of support for a military strike against Iran -- and especially if Israel has to go it alone. Just 19 percent of Israelis believe that Israel should strike Iran's nuclear facilities if it must do so without American support. A significantly higher number -- 42 percent -- support a military strike if Israel has American support. Thirty-four percent do not support a military strike at all.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/29/iran-israel-solo-attack_n_1310765.html?ref=world

Obama, read this. Use it to make some brass balls for yourself.
Good Ronnie, first he has to get some fricken balls ! Let alone Brass, they are to good for him !

Re: War with Iran? [Re: Frosty] #637572
02/29/12 10:01 PM
02/29/12 10:01 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: Frosty
Good Ronnie, first he has to get some fricken balls ! Let alone Brass, they are to good for him !

Michelle has his balls in her purse.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #637575
02/29/12 10:17 PM
02/29/12 10:17 PM
Frosty Offline
BANNED
Frosty  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
smile What a pair ! Not only talking about what is in M's purse the queen LMAO ! But the pair together ! YUK ! Gag me with a spoon and then give me !!! Lady Gag, Gag, doesn't even come close !!!!!!

Hope that I have got my point across ! With the Obama gang ! YUK !

I would vote for fricken Mickey @ Minnie Mouse over most of this shit ! You can take that to the bank !

Just Sayen, From the Heart ! And also what most of the USA feels !

Frosty with old but big Balls !!!!!

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #637583
02/29/12 11:03 PM
02/29/12 11:03 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Still waiting for an answer to my question: What would Iran have to do, if there's anything at all, that would make some folks here believe that military action was the only solution left?

The fact that those folks have not been able to answer this question tells me they've already taken military action off the table, if it was ever there to begin with. Which, in turn, kills their credibility on this issue all together.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: IvyLeague] #637586
02/29/12 11:49 PM
02/29/12 11:49 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Still waiting for an answer to my question: What would Iran have to do, if there's anything at all, that would make some folks here believe that military action was the only solution left?

How about a legit nuke stockpile? I mean for real, not speculation or nightmares or whatever. I don't mean maybe their making it, they could but for real they wipe their ass with the NPT and publicly trump their regime security trump card by marching warheads down Tehran boulevard. Not to be cynical, but remember Iraq? All that hot air, used by a dictatorship as a deterrent against invasion.

I mean Cuba 1962, when the folks at the Pentagon looked at those photos and SHIT THEIR PANTS. That's what I want. That's when war is acceptable. In one possible scenario. I won't play your game of destructive simplicity.

What next, we strike Beijing because they could potentially invade Tawain next year? Strike Moscow because they could potentially molest Georgia again? Invade Egypt because they could go religiously insane? Hell if we're going on that logic train, let's attack Pakistan because they have nukes and they clearly don't like us. (You know, a REAL stockpile of nukes.)

There's something to be said about letting the bad guys DO SOMETHING and then go N.W.A. on their asses. Usually they won't "do something" because of our overwhelming military deterence. But when they do, BAM! That's the point.

Better question, why aren't most Israelis (if that poll is accurate and not a fluke) apparently not having a boner for this potential war? Let me guess, you'll dismiss them as naive cowards too? Will you paint them as waving a peace paper in the air just after an airflight? Can you explain that?

(OK I'll play your game sorta. Remove the nuclear issue all together, if Iran tried to legit close the Strait of Hormuz...that would be absolutely unacceptable. We would send a badass Navy fleet down their throat to piss on their bullshit blockade. If they do fire first, give'em hell. And Lead.)

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #637590
03/01/12 12:07 AM
03/01/12 12:07 AM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
There was another part of that Israeli poll I posted earlier:

Quote:
For starters, the poll shows that when it comes to the coming presidential election itself Jewish Israelis prefer President Obama to all four of the remaining Republican candidates. Mitt Romney gets closest — Obama 32%, Romney 29%. Santorum does the worst — Obama 34%, Santorum 21%.

Ironically (or perhaps not ironically — who knows?), when the poll was opened up to all Israelis (i.e., Israeli Jews and Israeli Arabs), Mitt ties Obama.

http://www.jpost.com/IranianThreat/News/Article.aspx?id=259889

~Tomorrow's talking point on Fox News: How liberal and irresponsible is the Jerusalem Post?

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #637609
03/01/12 01:47 AM
03/01/12 01:47 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

How about a legit nuke stockpile? I mean for real, not speculation or nightmares or whatever. I don't mean maybe their making it, they could but for real they wipe their ass with the NPT and publicly trump their regime security trump card by marching warheads down Tehran boulevard. Not to be cynical, but remember Iraq? All that hot air, used by a dictatorship as a deterrent against invasion.

I mean Cuba 1962, when the folks at the Pentagon looked at those photos and SHIT THEIR PANTS. That's what I want. That's when war is acceptable. In one possible scenario. I won't play your game of destructive simplicity.

What next, we strike Beijing because they could potentially invade Tawain next year? Strike Moscow because they could potentially molest Georgia again? Invade Egypt because they could go religiously insane? Hell if we're going on that logic train, let's attack Pakistan because they have nukes and they clearly don't like us. (You know, a REAL stockpile of nukes.)

There's something to be said about letting the bad guys DO SOMETHING and then go N.W.A. on their asses. Usually they won't "do something" because of our overwhelming military deterence. But when they do, BAM! That's the point.

Better question, why aren't most Israelis (if that poll is accurate and not a fluke) apparently not having a boner for this potential war? Let me guess, you'll dismiss them as naive cowards too? Will you paint them as waving a peace paper in the air just after an airflight? Can you explain that?

(OK I'll play your game sorta. Remove the nuclear issue all together, if Iran tried to legit close the Strait of Hormuz...that would be absolutely unacceptable. We would send a badass Navy fleet down their throat to piss on their bullshit blockade. If they do fire first, give'em hell. And Lead.)

We're agreed on the Strait of Hormuz. But it seems you're asking for an almost impossible level of proof before doing anything to Iran. What if their style isn't to parade missiles in front of everybody but slip a nuclear weapon to one of their terrorist clients? And when it comes to letting them "do something," it doesn't take a lot if that "something" is nuclear. It's not a game of destructive simplicity. I just want to make sure I'm talking to people who would, at least theoretically, be willing to go the military route. And that includes not narrowing the goal posts so much as to make military action virtually impossible because you're of the belief that Israel or the U.S. wants it to come to that. Because, if it does, it will be Iran who pushes it to that point.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: IvyLeague] #637613
03/01/12 06:18 AM
03/01/12 06:18 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI

The fact that those folks have not been able to answer this question tells me they've already taken military action off the table, if it was ever there to begin with. Which, in turn, kills their credibility on this issue all together.

Sorry but that makes no sense.
According to the best intelligence estimates, 2007, 2010 and currrent , Iran does not have a nuclear weapons program. All the people calling for war seem to elide this fact. Talk about credibility. They have none. The people calling for war seem to be living in a fact free world when it comes to this. They want war. Period.

The same people who lied us into war into Iraq are trying to do so into Iran. Once again, into the breach!!

If Iran attacks the United States, the United States will destroy Iran. Everyone knows that. It's unquestioned. The question is why are some people so eager to attack a country which has not attacked us? It's like we're living in a surreal world where this quote never existed.

"War is essentially an evil thing. Its consequences are not confined to the belligerent states alone, but affect the whole world. To initiate a war of aggression, therefore, is not only an international crime; it is the supreme international crime differing only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole."

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #637638
03/01/12 11:38 AM
03/01/12 11:38 AM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
Quote:
American officials who have assessed the likely Iranian responses to any attack by Israel on its nuclear program believe that Iran would retaliate by launching missiles on Israel and terrorist-style attacks on United States civilian and military personnel overseas.

Quote:
The Iranian targets, General Cartwright and other American analysts believe, would include petroleum infrastructure in the Persian Gulf, and American troops in Afghanistan, where Iran has been accused of shipping explosives to local insurgent forces.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/29/world/...e&ref=world

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #637834
03/02/12 10:42 AM
03/02/12 10:42 AM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
The sanctions clearly failing.

Report: India Cancels Iran Oil Shipment Due To Sanctions

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/02/us-shipping-iran-india-idUSTRE8210I820120302

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #637871
03/02/12 02:01 PM
03/02/12 02:01 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
The Atlantic's Jeffrey Goldberg interviews President Obama over Iran.

Quote:
It means a political component that involves isolating Iran; it means an economic component that involves unprecedented and crippling sanctions; it means a diplomatic component in which we have been able to strengthen the coalition that presents Iran with various options through the P-5 plus 1 and ensures that the IAEA [International Atomic Energy Agency] is robust in evaluating Iran's military program; and it includes a military component. And I think people understand that. I think that the Israeli government recognizes that, as president of the United States, I don't bluff.

And he actually gives an argument for why Iran going nuclear armed would be a disaster. I'll admit, it's eloquent and logical. You can poke holes in it, but this is much more to the point and realistic than the doomsday scare-mongering we've heard in the GOP debates.

Quote:
If Iran gets a nuclear weapon, this would run completely contrary to my policies of nonproliferation. The risks of an Iranian nuclear weapon falling into the hands of terrorist organizations are profound. It is almost certain that other players in the region would feel it necessary to get their own nuclear weapons. So now you have the prospect of a nuclear arms race in the most volatile region in the world, one that is rife with unstable governments and sectarian tensions. And it would also provide Iran the additional capability to sponsor and protect its proxies in carrying out terrorist attacks, because they are less fearful of retaliation ... [Even taking Israel out of the equation], it would ... be a profound national-security interest of the United States to prevent Iran from getting a nuclear weapon.

Notice how this coincidentally comes out before Netanyahu makes his war-now! pitch next week. Makes me very hopeful that he will have Frosty's brass balls and tell him to calm the fuck down and don't bully our government into a war prematurely.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international...t-bluff/253875/

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #637883
03/02/12 02:13 PM
03/02/12 02:13 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
For the record, I really hope this war doesn't happen. But I'm honestly starting to believe that it's inevitable ohwell.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: Lilo] #637903
03/02/12 04:41 PM
03/02/12 04:41 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Lilo

According to the best intelligence estimates, 2007, 2010 and currrent , Iran does not have a nuclear weapons program. All the people calling for war seem to elide this fact. Talk about credibility. They have none. The people calling for war seem to be living in a fact free world when it comes to this. They want war. Period.

The same people who lied us into war into Iraq are trying to do so into Iran. Once again, into the breach!!

If Iran attacks the United States, the United States will destroy Iran. Everyone knows that. It's unquestioned. The question is why are some people so eager to attack a country which has not attacked us? It's like we're living in a surreal world where this quote never existed.

"War is essentially an evil thing. Its consequences are not confined to the belligerent states alone, but affect the whole world. To initiate a war of aggression, therefore, is not only an international crime; it is the supreme international crime differing only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole."

I don't think we're ever going to come to an agreement on this because of the following reasons:

1. Iran not having a nuclear weapons program at this moment does not mean it isn't working on it and could have nuclear weapons capability in only a few years. It's sitting on a sea of oil and it needs nuclear energy?

2. I do not believe those people you call "war hawks" actually want war. Only a madman wants war. I believe the fundamental difference between them and you is that war is simply one of several options they're willing to consider, while you seem to have taken that off the table a long time ago (if it was ever there at all) and wouldn't consider it no matter what Iran does.

3. Yes, war is an evil thing, but sometimes it's a necessary evil. To say that it's never warranted is simplistic, pie-in-the-sky nonsense.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: IvyLeague] #637913
03/02/12 05:59 PM
03/02/12 05:59 PM
Scotland UK
gemini_killer Offline
Capo
gemini_killer  Offline
Capo
Scotland UK
"Every man, woman and child lives under a nuclear sword of Damocles, hanging by the slenderest of threads, capable of being cut at any moment by accident, or miscalculation, or by madness. The weapons of war must be abolished before they abolish us" JFK

Iran wants nothing more than Nuclear weapons and even though I myself consider Ahmadinejad a joke and the Supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei an old evil motherfucker we must not underestimate the fact that they are moving in directions which are actually quite frightening and the situation must be dealt with carefully...

From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn. -Frank White

You say your 72, if they come back and tell me to give you a message - and if you want to defy it ... I assure you that you will never reach 73 - Joey "the clown" Lombardo
Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #637958
03/03/12 09:44 AM
03/03/12 09:44 AM
Wellington, New Zealand
veneratio Offline
Sicilian Paisan
veneratio  Offline
Sicilian Paisan
Capo
Wellington, New Zealand
I live in one of the most remote countries in the world here in New Zealand but this war, or potential war I should say, worries me. I respect the States for stepping up on a military front in some cases when no-one else would... But, I just wish that the States would leave it for once. I don't know. I can't think of a time when America hasn't been in some form of combat, I'm not trying to bring down America's efforts for world peace and while I read the news etc, I don't consider myself educated on world politics so I don't know. Just sick of getting de-sensitised to violence etc from war on the news!

"Just when I thought I was out.. They pull me back in"
Re: War with Iran? [Re: IvyLeague] #637964
03/03/12 10:44 AM
03/03/12 10:44 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI

I don't think we're ever going to come to an agreement on this because of the following reasons:

1. Iran not having a nuclear weapons program at this moment does not mean it isn't working on it and could have nuclear weapons capability in only a few years. It's sitting on a sea of oil and it needs nuclear energy?

2. I do not believe those people you call "war hawks" actually want war. Only a madman wants war. I believe the fundamental difference between them and you is that war is simply one of several options they're willing to consider, while you seem to have taken that off the table a long time ago (if it was ever there at all) and wouldn't consider it no matter what Iran does.

3. Yes, war is an evil thing, but sometimes it's a necessary evil. To say that it's never warranted is simplistic, pie-in-the-sky nonsense.

1) It is not a crime to have a nuclear program. And it's not worth going to war over. And going to war because you think someone might have a capacity at some time in the future to start a nuclear weapons program is an extremely bad and immoral idea. You don't kill people because of what they might do.

2) Cheney, Rumsfeld, Kristol and others most certainly did want war. Post 9-11 the first thing they were trying to do is bend the US outrage towards an attack on Iraq. They created their own intelligence office to feed the President and others what they wanted to hear. Factual. You write as if Iran is blockading US ports or murdering US scientists and I am counseling no response. I have been clear that I believe the only justification for war and any other killing is self-defense. I am not willing to countenance the deaths of between another 100,000 to one million humans just so some neo-colonialists can play tough guy with other people's lives. That is the fundamental difference between me and people of that ilk.

3) Again, I don't think I or for that matter anyone else here wrote that war is never warranted. The quote references the initiation of aggressive war as a crime, which it is. Attacking a country which has not attacked you is criminal. Iran can't even protect its scientists from being murdered or its ships from being hijacked by a bunch of ragtag Somalis and some people are speaking of Iran as if it's the Third Reich. Ridiculous.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #638012
03/03/12 02:52 PM
03/03/12 02:52 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
Lilo - You can't argue with someone who trusts another foreign government (acting in their own self-interests) over their own and would gladly commit to charity war for them.

Netanyahu Won't Attack Iran (Probably)

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/03/02/netanyahu_won_t_attack_iran?page=0,0

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 03/03/12 02:54 PM.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #638014
03/03/12 02:59 PM
03/03/12 02:59 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
"Probably"? If someone could explain Israel's strategic attack plan,I might believe that an attack is more probable than not. However, as I posted elsewhere. I don't see how Israel can carry out such an attack without unacceptable losses.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: olivant] #638016
03/03/12 03:12 PM
03/03/12 03:12 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
"Probably"? If someone could explain Israel's strategic attack plan,I might believe that an attack is more probable than not. However, as I posted elsewhere. I don't see how Israel can carry out such an attack without unacceptable losses.

Unless of course they're fully expecting somebody else to do the job for them.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #638021
03/03/12 03:39 PM
03/03/12 03:39 PM
Chicago Underworld
Frank_Nitti Offline
"The Enforcer"
Frank_Nitti  Offline
"The Enforcer"
Underboss
Chicago Underworld
Well, Saudi Arabia for one is a valued U.S. ally and Iran's biggest rival in the region. (The semitic Arabians and indo-european Iranians do not share bonds of kin or blood as far as I know.)

There's still 80,000 U.S troops in Iraq. Were Saddam Hussein still in power there could be problems but he's not.

Plus, Iran is also surrounded by hundreds of U.S. military bases in Afghansitan, Pakistan, Turkmenistan, Qatar, Azerbaijan, Saudi, Iraq, etc..

If the U.S. even remotely dangles its toes in this conflict I don't forsee Israel having many problems on their end as far as running a few bombing missions goes.

Last edited by Frank_Nitti; 03/03/12 03:40 PM.
Re: War with Iran? [Re: Lilo] #638051
03/03/12 07:02 PM
03/03/12 07:02 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

1) It is not a crime to have a nuclear program. And it's not worth going to war over. And going to war because you think someone might have a capacity at some time in the future to start a nuclear weapons program is an extremely bad and immoral idea. You don't kill people because of what they might do.

2) Cheney, Rumsfeld, Kristol and others most certainly did want war. Post 9-11 the first thing they were trying to do is bend the US outrage towards an attack on Iraq. They created their own intelligence office to feed the President and others what they wanted to hear. Factual. You write as if Iran is blockading US ports or murdering US scientists and I am counseling no response. I have been clear that I believe the only justification for war and any other killing is self-defense. I am not willing to countenance the deaths of between another 100,000 to one million humans just so some neo-colonialists can play tough guy with other people's lives. That is the fundamental difference between me and people of that ilk.

3) Again, I don't think I or for that matter anyone else here wrote that war is never warranted. The quote references the initiation of aggressive war as a crime, which it is. Attacking a country which has not attacked you is criminal. Iran can't even protect its scientists from being murdered or its ships from being hijacked by a bunch of ragtag Somalis and some people are speaking of Iran as if it's the Third Reich. Ridiculous.

Two things...

First, I think your comment that they are "neo-colonialists playing tough guy with people's lives" is based more on emotion than on reality.

Second, I'm not saying war is the answer right now. And I don't think anyone else is. I'm all for seeing if the sanctions, etc. does the job. But it's becoming more and more clear to me that you and some others here would only resort to military action against Iran once they had nuclear weapons AND used them. In other words, nothing short of a mushroom cloud over Tel Aviv or a terrorist detonating a bomb in some U.S. or European city could happen before you'd finally say, "Well, OK, maybe we should deal with this."

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #638057
03/03/12 07:43 PM
03/03/12 07:43 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
My modest proposal in the event that an Iranian program for developing nuclear weapons continues:

1. Calculate (as best as possible) the financial cost of a war with Iran, including cost of occupation, rebuilding, etc.

2. Double it- in fact- triple it- because the cost of human lives of all sides never seems to make the cost/benefit analysis.

3. Gather your allies and instruct it's time to ante up. Everyone has something at stake, especially the US and Israel, who will contribute the lion's share.

4. Approach Iran and put the cards on the table by saying, "Listen. We can tighten sanctions, life can get more miserable and dangerous each day, but if you agree to abandon your quest, we have a reservoir of cash, payable over 20 years. The funds must be applied to peaceful ends (food, public works, education, the arts, etc.).

5. Moreover, we will maintain regular UN inspections.

6. Payment will increase according to democratic reform that takes place within the country over 20 years. If these reforms occur on a scheduled basis, you'll get the whole pot, pluswe will further commit to reducing our nuclear arsenal (along with the other nuclear nations). If not, you will get a negotiated percentage.

7. As an added condition of the annuity, oil production and exports must continue at a level deemed fair and appropriate.

Yes, this wouldn't be popular, but it's pretty much how we're dealing with North Korea. It's buying a measure of security, stability and peace, the price of which is determined by the extent of the threat. While the present Iranian regime would certainly not agree to democratic reform, the possibility is real that another cry for freedom will come from the Iranian people in the coming years. Can the Arab Spring be in its infancy?

Also, this would not likely be a popular solution here either with people complaining why we're investing in an oppressive regime when we're having financial shortages domestically. Yet they'd have no problem fighting another long war on a credit card.

Finally, under the scenario it is imperative that we use the 20 years to build a bond, foster friendships, and commit to peace and justice in the region.

Re: War with Iran? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #638061
03/03/12 08:20 PM
03/03/12 08:20 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Anyone else find it a little annoying that we've come to the point where we basically have to pay certain countries to behave? It's like they're extorting us. And how much benefit to do the people of North Korea get from our aid?

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull