GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 71 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,164
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,387
Posts1,059,816
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 44 of 47 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 47
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: Lilo] #597895
03/19/11 10:39 AM
03/19/11 10:39 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Lilo
The Town
Despite using virtually every known cliche of heist flicks/Irish gangster movies/action movies and running maybe 20 minutes longer than needed, "The Town" was a relatively entertaining film.

I finally saw it last night on DVD and I agree with this synopsis.

Lilo, if you thought the theatrical version was too long, you should know that Affleck's original cut was almost 4 hours, and an almost 3 hour "Director's Cut" is available on the DVD.

I was a bit disapponted in the ending, though. I made sure I read the book first ("Prince of Thieves," by Chuck Hogan), and would have been happier with Hogan's grittier, more realistic denouement. By the way, I recommend the book wholeheartedly. Back in 2005, Stephen King called it one of the top ten books of the year, while writing for "Entertainment Weekly." I'm not sure if I agree it was one of the year's ten best, but it was definitely up there.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: pizzaboy] #597911
03/19/11 04:35 PM
03/19/11 04:35 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: Lilo
The Town
Despite using virtually every known cliche of heist flicks/Irish gangster movies/action movies and running maybe 20 minutes longer than needed, "The Town" was a relatively entertaining film.

I finally saw it last night on DVD and I agree with this synopsis.

Lilo, if you thought the theatrical version was too long, you should know that Affleck's original cut was almost 4 hours, and an almost 3 hour "Director's Cut" is available on the DVD.

I was a bit disapponted in the ending, though. I made sure I read the book first ("Prince of Thieves," by Chuck Hogan), and would have been happier with Hogan's grittier, more realistic denouement. By the way, I recommend the book wholeheartedly. Back in 2005, Stephen King called it one of the top ten books of the year, while writing for "Entertainment Weekly." I'm not sure if I agree it was one of the year's ten best, but it was definitely up there.

I'll check for the book, PB.
4 HOURS?
I'm lucky Affleck didn't have final cut option on the movie or if he did he came to his senses.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: Lilo] #597912
03/19/11 04:37 PM
03/19/11 04:37 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
The Town was one of the newer movies that did sound good to me. I hope to check it out too. smile

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #597915
03/19/11 05:07 PM
03/19/11 05:07 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Has anyone seen Hawthorne with Will Smith? I have a question about it

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: olivant] #597975
03/20/11 01:23 PM
03/20/11 01:23 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: olivant
Has anyone seen Hawthorne with Will Smith? I have a question about it

He's not in the show, Oli. "Hawthorne" stars his wife, Jada Pinkett. Will Smith is co-producer, and a colossal pain in the ass, if you can believe the folks at TNT.

I also just read that he's holding up "Men in Black 3" because he's currently under the impression that he's a more gifted screenwriter than the professionals. Tommy Lee Jones has threatened to quit. And Tommy Lee's resume speaks for itself. He certainly doesn't need Will Smith telling him what to do.

I always liked Smith. A lot. So I'm kind of disappointed that in middle-age he's become a bit of a bully.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #598010
03/20/11 04:38 PM
03/20/11 04:38 PM
V
VinnyGorgeous Offline
BANNED
VinnyGorgeous  Offline
BANNED
V
Underboss
Will Smith left Philly and never looked back. So fuck Will Smith.

"What is given, can be taken away. Everyone lies. Everyone dies." - Casey Anthony, in a poem, July 7, 2008
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #598579
03/26/11 05:53 AM
03/26/11 05:53 AM
Liberty City
ToniCipriani Offline
Associate
ToniCipriani  Offline
Associate
Liberty City
Since this is my first post I want to say hello and thanks for having me here at these forums, I wasn't sure wether it was appropriate for a new member to post in this thread or not but I thought I'd share my thoughts on a movie I saw recently.

Once Upon a Time in America (1984)

This is the first time I've seen this film, I've seen just about all the other big names in the genre but this film is one I never got around to seeing. I can't say this film is quite up there with The Godfather Trilogy or Goodfellas but it was a good enough film. Robert De Niro and James Woods were great in their roles as well as a small part with Danny Aiello, it's also nice to see Richard Bright in other films beside The Godfather and The Getaway, the one major flaw I can find is that while even though the cut of the film was the longest availible, it seemed like it was a film meant to be much longer than the four hours and something this version was, still it's definitely not a bad film and it was nice to see what Sergio Leone can do in the gangster genre.

In ranking I'd give the film 3 stars out of 4, although if they ever released a longer cut it would probably rank higher.

Last edited by ToniCipriani; 03/26/11 05:54 AM.

"Experience has taught me a man like you can be very loyal for the right price, but groups of men get greedy." - Donald Love, Grand Theft Auto III
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: ToniCipriani] #603223
05/17/11 11:37 AM
05/17/11 11:37 AM
California

California
Ok, so this past weekend was a layback one for me. I watched two movies that I doubt I would have watched if I wasn't kind of bored BUT both ended up NOT being too bad, although both extremely odd. I never heard of either.

1. Roadkill lol (Chill channel)- Yea, I know. I though ok, one of these common themes on that channel were kids get stuck in some West Virgina backwoods and fight off cannibals. No, not quite. 5 kids in Ireland accidentally run over a witch who then curses them in the form of a huge bird that chases them down this deserted Irish road. LMAO. Yea, kind of dumb but not quite as bad as one might think.

2. Stuck (SciFI channel) Again, never heard of it. The guy from "The Crying Game" (Stephen Rea) was in it. This one is really really weird. In brief, a nurse hits this guy with her car. He's stuck in her windshield and she keeps him there without helping him for a few days, kind of denying it happened. The bulk of the movie she has the car parked in the garage with his body half in her windshield. lol Very creepy creepy movie.

Both odd films, but I finished watching both. I must have been bored. I kind of found both amusing in an odd way

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 05/17/11 11:37 AM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #603228
05/17/11 12:03 PM
05/17/11 12:03 PM
V
VinnyGorgeous Offline
BANNED
VinnyGorgeous  Offline
BANNED
V
Underboss
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

2. Stuck (SciFI channel) Again, never heard of it. The guy from "The Crying Game" (Stephen Rea) was in it. This one is really really weird. In brief, a nurse hits this guy with her car. He's stuck in her windshield and she keeps him there without helping him for a few days, kind of denying it happened. The bulk of the movie she has the car parked in the garage with his body half in her windshield.

lol lol lol I'VE GOTTA SEE THIS!

"What is given, can be taken away. Everyone lies. Everyone dies." - Casey Anthony, in a poem, July 7, 2008
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: VinnyGorgeous] #603229
05/17/11 12:07 PM
05/17/11 12:07 PM
California

California
Vinny,

All the laughing icons is exactly how I saw this, although I followed the story, I kept chuckling and thinking to myself, "how weird is this." lol

This won't give anything away, but the movies starts with this guy getting kicked out of his apartment because he couldn't pay the rent; he had a job interview the same day and waited 3 or 4 hours and then they told him that his name wasn't in the computer and he had to redo the paperwork and come back. He had a grocery cart for the few things he grabbed from his apartment when he got kicked out and THAT'S when this woman hit him. Talk about a horrible day. lol

I'd like to know who thought up the storyline.

TIS

Ok, I found the trailer and it appears it's based on a true story??? WTF?? lol

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 05/17/11 12:11 PM.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #603233
05/17/11 12:37 PM
05/17/11 12:37 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Re-watched "Plein Soleil" ("Purple Noon"), the original French version from 1960. Based on "The Talented Mr. Ripley," with Alain Delon playing Ripley. Georgeously photographed in Rome and southern Italy. Delon, impossibly pretty at 27, turns in a creditable performance. Good film, though Delon was better in "Rocco e Sui Fratelli."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu ĆÆĀæĀ½ sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #603236
05/17/11 01:09 PM
05/17/11 01:09 PM
V
VinnyGorgeous Offline
BANNED
VinnyGorgeous  Offline
BANNED
V
Underboss
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Vinny,

All the laughing icons is exactly how I saw this, although I followed the story, I kept chuckling and thinking to myself, "how weird is this." lol

This won't give anything away, but the movies starts with this guy getting kicked out of his apartment because he couldn't pay the rent; he had a job interview the same day and waited 3 or 4 hours and then they told him that his name wasn't in the computer and he had to redo the paperwork and come back. He had a grocery cart for the few things he grabbed from his apartment when he got kicked out and THAT'S when this woman hit him. Talk about a horrible day. lol

I'd like to know who thought up the storyline.

TIS

Ok, I found the trailer and it appears it's based on a true story??? WTF?? lol

lol lol lol When he begs to go to the hospital she tells him to go to sleep lol. I'd hate to be run over by Mena Suvari..or Mean Suvari.

How the hell could she drive with him stuck in there? Was she that shocked? This is wrong on so many levels lol lol.

Re: Movies/TV Random Post Whoring [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #603791
05/23/11 12:34 AM
05/23/11 12:34 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA

With all this Rapture talk lately, I was reminded about a movie I watched a couple weeks ago (the first part of a trilogy), and saw the last two tonight:

Left Behind (2001)
Left Behind II: Tribulation Force (2002)
Left Behind: World at War (2005)

These are Christian-centric movies, but yet, they're made as mainstream features. If you want to get what the Rapture is (can be) all about in modern times, then take a look. I'm Christian (Catholic), so didn't take any offense at the scripture embedded within. These aren't the best movies ever made (nor the worst), but the subject matter is interesting, timely, and a bit inspirational. Sadly, Part III ended on a cliff-hanger, and IV has yet to be made as far as I know....

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Movies/TV Random Post Whoring [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #603822
05/23/11 11:39 AM
05/23/11 11:39 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Watched "Easy A" last night. Although premise of the movie was a bit silly, it had very witty dialogue and some excellent actors. Some very funny scenes.

It's about a girl who lies about losing her virginity and soon finds herself labeled the school slut. To mirror the book she's reading in English class, she starts to wear a red A on her clothes. She finds out how hard it is to stop the rumor mill once it gets started.

Stanley Tucci, one of my favorite actors, played the dad and Thomas Hayden Church is the girl's English teacher. The movie was light and entertaining, sort of perfect for sitting around the family room on a Sunday night after a gloomy day.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #603961
05/24/11 04:10 AM
05/24/11 04:10 AM
F
FastDebrid Offline
Banned Spammer
FastDebrid  Offline
Banned Spammer
F
Associate
.Removed Spam - SC

Last edited by SC; 05/24/11 05:26 AM. Reason: Removed Spam
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: FastDebrid] #604225
05/26/11 04:52 PM
05/26/11 04:52 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
just watched 'black swan', and wow that was a great movie. very entertaining, and messed up at the same time. the character's were good, even though i couldn't stand the mother.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #605429
06/13/11 07:43 PM
06/13/11 07:43 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I've spent the last few days watching "Benny Hill: The Complete Megaset 1969-1989".

Sometimes things you get a glimpse of as kids don't really hold your attention as adults. Thankfully this was not the case with Benny Hill. Although his show did include a lot of stockings and cleavage smile it was also more than that. There was quite a lot of wordplay, puns, satire and so on. Hill also had a huge debt to silent film and to Charlie Chaplin.

I liked the early years best. In the later years he just got sort of lazy and turned over huge swaths of the show to the Hills Angels dancers. Even so Hill and his team did a great job with humorous adaptations of "Carmen" and "Cabaret". Good stuff.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #605452
06/14/11 01:22 AM
06/14/11 01:22 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA

I watched Benny Hill in like 7th/8th grade, and thought it was hilarious. Now, when I flip channels and see him on, I watch for a few minutes, then keep going -- I just don't find it that funny any more. But I agree he was a true talent (especially for English humor, which is often lost on me ;))

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #606454
06/28/11 12:37 AM
06/28/11 12:37 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA

I kinda wanted to see, but wasn't really thrilled about actually getting, 1776 (1972) in the mail from Netflix. For once in a week I had a night to myself so plopped it in -- all 142 minutes of it, assuming it'd be some corny, gay (merry) musical adapted from Broadway.

Originally Posted By: Dave Heston via IMDB
The film version of the Broadway musical comedy of the same name. In the days leading up to July 4, 1776, Continental Congressmen John Adams and Benjamin Franklin coerce Thomas Jefferson into writing the Declaration of Independence as a delaying tactic as they try to persuade the American colonies to support a resolution on independence. As George Washington sends depressing messages describing one military disaster after another, the businessmen, landowners and slave holders in Congress all stand in the way of the Declaration, and a single "nay" vote will forever end the question of independence. Large portions of spoken and sung dialog are taken directly from the letters and memoirs of the actual participants.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind musicals -- Grease is one of my favorite movies -- but I underestimated this. I quite enjoyed it, actually! William Daniels (Knight Rider's KITT, Boy Meets World's Mr. Feeny (I was waiting for him to say "Mr Matthews" lol)) as John Adams and Howard Da Silva as Ben Franklin were terrific. And on top if it, I learned quite a bit -- those other signatures besides Adams', Franklin's and John Hancock's really came to life. Highly recommended!

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #607446
07/11/11 02:15 PM
07/11/11 02:15 PM
California

California
One of the cable stations is always running "A Time To Kill" (1996)and it seems like it's always late in the evening that I end up watching part of it and falling asleep. Yesterday I caught it in the afternoon and I really thought it was a good movie. It stars Matthew McConaughey and Samuel L. Jackson and co-stars Donald Sutherland, Kevin Spacey and Sandra Bullock.

It's based on a John Grisham novel by the same name and is about A young lawyer defends a black man accused of murdering two men who raped his 10-year-old daughter, sparking a rebirth of the KKK. I was impressed with McConaughey's performance. I can't say I have seen many of his films but he always struck me as an party boy actor who took oddball roles. He was very good in this movie and the story was very good as well. I would recommend it for those who have not seen it.

smile

TIS

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117913/

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #607475
07/11/11 08:42 PM
07/11/11 08:42 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
TIS, read the book if you haven't. IMO, it's Grisham's best. The movie was decent, especially Sutherland. But then, when isn't he??

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: Sicilian Babe] #607484
07/11/11 09:11 PM
07/11/11 09:11 PM
California

California
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
TIS, read the book if you haven't. IMO, it's Grisham's best. The movie was decent, especially Sutherland. But then, when isn't he??

Hi SB,

Yea, I might just do that. From what I know of his books that were made to movies, I like his stories. There was another film (the name escapes me right now) with Susan Sarandon who was a lawyer defending a young boy who witnessed a murder???? I liked that one too. smile

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 07/11/11 09:12 PM.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #607485
07/11/11 09:16 PM
07/11/11 09:16 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
That was The Client. It's a good one, too. I believe the actor that played the boy died a couple of years ago. One of my favorite actors plays the bad guy in that one - Anthony LaPaglia. He's so young and thin that you almost can't recognize him! lol

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: Sicilian Babe] #607523
07/12/11 10:54 AM
07/12/11 10:54 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Good film that babe.

Finally got round to watching THE BOY IN STRIPED PAJAMAS.

Very profound and very, very sad.......

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #607535
07/12/11 12:33 PM
07/12/11 12:33 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
That movie KILLED me, Yogi. I cried my eyes out. It's a well-known fact that I'm easily manipulated to tears by movies and TV shows, but that one was just too, too much.

The mother was very, very good. She was also in "Up in the
Air" with George Clooney, quite a different role. I almost didn't recognize her!

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: Sicilian Babe] #607538
07/12/11 01:33 PM
07/12/11 01:33 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
There may have been a bit leakage in my eye as well but i think i had something in it or something...... whistle

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #607540
07/12/11 02:17 PM
07/12/11 02:17 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
A speck of dust or something, I'm sure.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #607567
07/12/11 08:27 PM
07/12/11 08:27 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Me & Mrs. Mark just watched "The King's Speech". Great movie - very funny as well. I enjoyed the parts when he would launch into an almost tourettes like cursing verbal exercise! Very funny.

Last edited by Mark; 07/12/11 08:28 PM.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: Mark] #607680
07/13/11 06:22 PM
07/13/11 06:22 PM
California

California
I couldn't sleep last night and turned on the tv to an old Joan Crawford (aka Mommie Dearest) movie called "Queen Bee." I loved the description of the film:

"Joan Crawford practically patented this role, where she plays a domineering woman who will stop at nothing to get what she wants." lol

I wish I could have stayed awake to watch the entire film which also starred Fay Wray (from the original King Kong)

Anyone remember Mommie Dearest? And, what ever happened to Christina Crawford?

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 07/13/11 06:23 PM.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #607999
07/15/11 11:27 PM
07/15/11 11:27 PM
California

California
FX is showing "The Taking Of Pelham 1 2 3 remake with Denzel Washington & John Travolta. So far it's pretty good. Anyone else see it? I've never seen the original so can't compare.

smile
TIS

Page 44 of 47 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 47

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull