GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 374 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,858
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,509
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,313
Posts1,058,424
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Scarface Blue Ray edition #604733
06/04/11 01:31 AM
06/04/11 01:31 AM
Miami, FL
babysinister Offline OP
Button
babysinister  Offline OP
Button
Miami, FL
A Blue Ray edition of Scarface is coming in September, according to Amazon.com. Being such an old film, however, it may turn out to be more Blur-ry than Blue Ray. That is, unless Universal stepped out of character (unlikely) and funded a hihh-end transfer job. A lot of the extras to be included are the same from the older dvd editions.

Sanitashun? Ah tole joo to tell dem joo was in a sanatorium. Not sanitashun.
Re: Scarface Blue Ray edition [Re: babysinister] #605238
06/11/11 01:53 AM
06/11/11 01:53 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

I usually don't jump on Blu-Ray titles of older films -- I just don't see it being worth it, especially if I already own it on DVD. The quality can't be improved much. I probably have 3-4 different versions of SF on DVD, and don't really need another...

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Scarface Blue Ray edition [Re: J Geoff] #605347
06/12/11 05:29 PM
06/12/11 05:29 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: J Geoff
The quality can't be improved much.

I think you aren't that aware of the latest techniques as even older movies often look superior on blu-ray.

Some great examples that I know of (as I have them) are Patton, Apocalypse Now, Gandhi, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and the Alien films. Especially the first two Alien films and Apocalypse Now, who look on blu-ray as if they were made a couple of years ago. And I'm not joking.

Even The Godfather films are superiour on blu-ray, although less impressive than others I must admit. But that had to do with the horrible state of the original roll films.

If you're a movielover, blu-ray is definitely an improvement, although for most people a DVD will be good enough.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Scarface Blue Ray edition [Re: babysinister] #605357
06/12/11 06:34 PM
06/12/11 06:34 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

You're probably right -- I think I have 4 Blu-Ray discs so far. I pretty much stopped buying "just anything" on disc and take advantage of Netflix. I haven't really tried any restored older films to compare, so I'll take your word for it. I'm sure the techniques these days are tremendous, if not tedious. wink

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

Re: Scarface Blue Ray edition [Re: babysinister] #605369
06/12/11 08:51 PM
06/12/11 08:51 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
What's also important if you want to fully enjoy the benefits of high-definition is to have a good TV. But those things are costly, so it's understandable why most people aren't that hasty to change their DVD's. smile

Most of my collection are still DVD's and most of it will stay that way. DVD's are still decent. Only the very best films are worthy of rebuying on blu-ray...

Re: Scarface Blue Ray edition [Re: Sonny_Black] #605381
06/13/11 01:37 AM
06/13/11 01:37 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
What's also important if you want to fully enjoy the benefits of high-definition is to have a good TV.

Feb '10 I bought my first (well, and still only) HDTV -- 46" LED LCD that STILL blows me away. THIS I recommend 100%, and I did a lot of research first (as always)... but $250 shipping????! It was free shipping when I got it (tho it cost $100 more then)

Re: Scarface Blue Ray edition [Re: J Geoff] #605402
06/13/11 12:24 PM
06/13/11 12:24 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: J Geoff
What's also important if you want to fully enjoy the benefits of high-definition is to have a good TV.

Feb '10 I bought my first (well, and still only) HDTV -- 46" LED LCD that STILL blows me away. THIS I recommend 100%, and I did a lot of research first (as always)... but $250 shipping????! It was free shipping when I got it (tho it cost $100 more then)

Looks like a decent TV. LED TV's are the best when it comes to color and contrast, but they often have clouding or bleeding problems. Especially Samsung (I speak from experience).

Re: Scarface Blue Ray edition [Re: babysinister] #605433
06/13/11 09:06 PM
06/13/11 09:06 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I have a few Blu-Rays, not all of them are better than the original. The ones that did--GF Trilogy, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Last Waltz, Blade Runner--did so because the original DVD's were only so-so.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Scarface Blue Ray edition [Re: Turnbull] #605453
06/14/11 01:43 AM
06/14/11 01:43 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
LED TV's are the best when it comes to color and contrast, but they often have clouding or bleeding problems. Especially Samsung (I speak from experience).

Not this Sharp... the ONLY gripe I can think of is that it takes like 10-15 seconds to actually turn on, but I've gotten used to that.

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
I have a few Blu-Rays, not all of them are better than the original. The ones that did--GF Trilogy, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Last Waltz, Blade Runner--did so because the original DVD's were only so-so.

I haven't gotten GF or BR on Blu-ray yet... I was a bit disappointed in the "restoration" of GF and figured the BRD would just be more of the same. As for Blade Runner, I bought the Four-Disc Collector's Edition (DVD) (already had the original DVD) but have yet to watch all 4 versions... and now the 5-disc Blu-ray set it out... sheesh! lol

Re: Scarface Blue Ray edition [Re: babysinister] #605460
06/14/11 08:42 AM
06/14/11 08:42 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
I've seen Blade Runner at my cousin and I can tell that this is probably one of the most impressive blu-rays to date.

It also gets very high scores in the reviews just as the last DVD, which is the same restoration. They only transfered it to full-hd on blu-ray just as the latest Godfather restoration so it will always be an improvement due to the much higher resolution.

Btw, I thought The Coppola restoration was actually very good. You must consider the horrible shape the original tapes were in and based on that they really did the best they can.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull