GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (CNote, 1 invisible), 243 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday Tommasino Neri.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,438
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,845
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,508
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,308
Posts1,058,350
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 22 of 80 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 79 80
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Lilo] #597006
03/10/11 09:18 PM
03/10/11 09:18 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
"Mobbed Up" was a very good book, Lilo. It also spawned a pretty good HBO movie starring Brian Dennehy as Presser back in the early '90s. If I'm not mistaken, it was HBO's first mob film. I know it came out a few years before "Gotti," starring Armand Assante.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: pizzaboy] #597008
03/10/11 09:22 PM
03/10/11 09:22 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I remember that movie. Brian Dennehey is always good.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: pizzaboy] #597009
03/10/11 09:23 PM
03/10/11 09:23 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I'll have to find that movie. It rings a bell but I don't think I ever saw it.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Lilo] #597013
03/10/11 09:26 PM
03/10/11 09:26 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Blockbuster still has it, Lilo. Check it out. Like TB said, Dennehy is always good.

http://www.blockbuster.com/browse/catalog/movieDetails/34452

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: pizzaboy] #597016
03/10/11 09:38 PM
03/10/11 09:38 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Blockbuster still has it, Lilo. Check it out. Like TB said, Dennehy is always good.

http://www.blockbuster.com/browse/catalog/movieDetails/34452

Thx.
Eli Wallach as Bill Presser?
Hmm

Does he get any lines like

There are two kinds of gangsters in this world, my friend; 'those who come by the door: and those who come by the window"

tongue

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Lilo] #597436
03/15/11 02:44 PM
03/15/11 02:44 PM
3l3m3ntal Offline
Wiseguy
3l3m3ntal  Offline
Wiseguy
Originally Posted By: Lilo
Originally Posted By: 3l3m3ntal

Awesome, what about books on the Cleveland, Tampa, and New Jersey families? Once again thanks in advance.

As far as NJ, there is Made Men which was already discussed.
There is also The Boys from New Jersey which was really about the seemingly virtually independent Accetturo-Tacetta New Jersey faction of the NY Lucchese Family. There is some historical reference made to the DeCavalante, Genovese and Gambino Families in NJ.

As far as Tampa, the books The Silent Don and Cigar City Mafia are both worthwhile.

On Cleveland, I think some minor references to that group might be found in I heard you paint houses but most of my historical information about the Cleveland Mob (Italian or Jewish or Irish) comes from the book Mobbed Up by James Neff. This is centered about labor leader, mob stooge and FBI informant Jackie Presser, but much like Boardwalk Jungle it really is a fascinating tale of how the Italian element of OC is often just a part of a larger whole.

This book details the Danny Greene war and the links between and among various Midwest criminal groups and the larger Chicago/NY organizations. It explains in exhaustive detail various union pension funds scams, white collar frauds,FBI double dealing, internal union or mob rivalries and how mobsters (made or not) from various families do favors for one another-or try to rip each other off.

Once it came out that Presser was an informant of course some of the mobsters closer to him were upset/worried. Fat Tony Salerno was picked up on wiretap telling soldiers "I think these f****** Chicago guys are gonna knock my brains in".

I think it's one of the better books around on the mob.

Noted and jotted, thanks once again for the fine recs. I have a tendency to be a concentrated and organized reader. I'll take a subject or subjects and pursue away. grin

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Lilo] #597638
03/16/11 09:06 PM
03/16/11 09:06 PM
G
GerryLang Offline
Underboss
GerryLang  Offline
G
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Lilo
Originally Posted By: 3l3m3ntal

Awesome, what about books on the Cleveland, Tampa, and New Jersey families? Once again thanks in advance.

As far as NJ, there is Made Men which was already discussed.
There is also The Boys from New Jersey which was really about the seemingly virtually independent Accetturo-Tacetta New Jersey faction of the NY Lucchese Family. There is some historical reference made to the DeCavalante, Genovese and Gambino Families in NJ.

As far as Tampa, the books The Silent Don and Cigar City Mafia are both worthwhile.

On Cleveland, I think some minor references to that group might be found in I heard you paint houses but most of my historical information about the Cleveland Mob (Italian or Jewish or Irish) comes from the book Mobbed Up by James Neff. This is centered about labor leader, mob stooge and FBI informant Jackie Presser, but much like Boardwalk Jungle it really is a fascinating tale of how the Italian element of OC is often just a part of a larger whole.

This book details the Danny Greene war and the links between and among various Midwest criminal groups and the larger Chicago/NY organizations. It explains in exhaustive detail various union pension funds scams, white collar frauds,FBI double dealing, internal union or mob rivalries and how mobsters (made or not) from various families do favors for one another-or try to rip each other off.

Once it came out that Presser was an informant of course some of the mobsters closer to him were upset/worried. Fat Tony Salerno was picked up on wiretap telling soldiers "I think these f****** Chicago guys are gonna knock my brains in".

I think it's one of the better books around on the mob.

I was thinking about picking up "The Boys from Jersey," but the reviews I read have said the book deals with mostly the trial (longest in American history at the time), and very little to do with the actual crimes and activities of Acceturo crew. There was a movie made about one of the crew and his antics during the trial, Jackie Dinorscio, he represented himself. The movie is "Find Me Guilty," it bombed at the box office, and I've never seen it.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #598786
03/29/11 07:56 AM
03/29/11 07:56 AM
J
Jay123 Offline
Wiseguy
Jay123  Offline
J
Wiseguy
Just ordered "surviving the mob" by dennis griffin. I wil leave a review as to when ive read it leaving feedback

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Jay123] #602122
05/05/11 06:21 AM
05/05/11 06:21 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Originally Posted By: Jay123
Just ordered "surviving the mob" by dennis griffin. I wil leave a review as to when ive read it leaving feedback

Funny, i have just ordered this off Amazon also. Looks good!

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #602430
05/08/11 02:31 PM
05/08/11 02:31 PM
J
Jay123 Offline
Wiseguy
Jay123  Offline
J
Wiseguy
Its a good read mate, have you started it?

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Jay123] #602504
05/09/11 12:47 PM
05/09/11 12:47 PM
G
GerryLang Offline
Underboss
GerryLang  Offline
G
Underboss
I picked up two books last week at a used book store, "Mafia Wife" and "GoodGuys." Mafia Wife was a pretty uneventful read, basically a pity party by Louie Milito's wife. She is another woman who no longer loves the life because she is no longer benefiting from it since her husband is dead, it does give a different perspective of the life. GoodGuys has been a slow read so far, I'm only sixty pages deep though. The book comes off as a typical cop book, the cops are all hard working, and moral tought guys, and everyone else is a piece of shit.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: pizzaboy] #603525
05/20/11 06:37 AM
05/20/11 06:37 AM
The Windy City
MadSam Offline
Wiseguy
MadSam  Offline
Wiseguy
The Windy City
"The Jackie Presser Story", he was a struntz for Cosa Nostra in NY, the Genovese's, "Fat Tony" and "TonyPro" Provenzano, not to forget the Chicago Outfit and Allen Dorfman who also wanted a piece of "the Teamsters Pension Fund Pie"! Anyways, Bill Presser, his father, played by Eli Wallach was a true racket-teer, who took a pinch, kept his mouth shut and did his time like a man...a real stand up guy. He was the real power, Jackie was a joke to the others on the board, but not infront of old man Presser!! The clown of the Teamsters, Jackie got his job through nepotism, the way that always seems to be the easiest, yet ends up costing not only the person given the leadership, but his troops. The book will give you a better idea of how things worked, Presser, the father was a real stand up guy, who made money for everyone, the bosses to the factory workers, amazing man!

Re: Mafia Books [Re: MadSam] #603855
05/23/11 02:02 PM
05/23/11 02:02 PM
G
GerryLang Offline
Underboss
GerryLang  Offline
G
Underboss
In "GoodGuys" Joe Massino is called Joe Messina, and this isn't the only book that has done this. Was this guy so under the radar people didn't know his real name? Or just a case of lazy writers/editors?

Re: Mafia Books [Re: GerryLang] #603860
05/23/11 02:33 PM
05/23/11 02:33 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: GerryLang
In "GoodGuys" Joe Massino is called Joe Messina, and this isn't the only book that has done this. Was this guy so under the radar people didn't know his real name? Or just a case of lazy writers/editors?

No, it's because they played too much GTA IV.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #603894
05/23/11 06:31 PM
05/23/11 06:31 PM
M
Most_Wanted Offline
Associate
Most_Wanted  Offline
M
Associate
can anyone recommend some really good book the list I have so far is:

Family Secrets
Underboss
Cosa Nostra: A history of the sicilia Mafia
Gaspipe
Blood of honor
Brotherhood

I just don't know which one is a really good book to start off with.

Last edited by Most_Wanted; 05/23/11 06:31 PM.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Most_Wanted] #603930
05/23/11 10:27 PM
05/23/11 10:27 PM
pittsburgh pa
P
phatmatress Offline
Underboss
phatmatress  Offline
P
Underboss
pittsburgh pa
Originally Posted By: Most_Wanted
can anyone recommend some really good book the list I have so far is:

Family Secrets
Underboss
Cosa Nostra: A history of the sicilia Mafia
Gaspipe
Blood of honor
Brotherhood

wiseguy, the 5 families, murder machine, blood and honor, the last godfather, the gotti tapes are all personal favs of mine

I just don't know which one is a really good book to start off with.

I hate Dicknoses!!!!!!
Re: Mafia Books [Re: phatmatress] #603934
05/23/11 11:07 PM
05/23/11 11:07 PM
M
Most_Wanted Offline
Associate
Most_Wanted  Offline
M
Associate
Thank you

I have read five families and love it

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #603986
05/24/11 01:29 PM
05/24/11 01:29 PM
Northumberland England
GaryH Offline
Underboss
GaryH  Offline
Underboss
Northumberland England
Gravano's book is good.
Murder Machine is top notch.
Donnie Brasco is well written

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #603992
05/24/11 01:55 PM
05/24/11 01:55 PM
M
Most_Wanted Offline
Associate
Most_Wanted  Offline
M
Associate
Thank you....I order Murder Machine...lol...Guess it is a great book

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #604123
05/25/11 03:25 PM
05/25/11 03:25 PM
Northumberland England
GaryH Offline
Underboss
GaryH  Offline
Underboss
Northumberland England
It is a great book.
I just wish Henry Borelli or one of the Gemini Twins would talk - they would have some intriguing stories to tell.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #604656
06/02/11 08:01 PM
06/02/11 08:01 PM
Australia
M
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica Offline
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica  Offline
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
I've just picked up two books, which are "Honor Thy Father" by Gay Talese with Bill Bonanno, and "Mafia Princess" by Marisa Merico. I realise there is another book by this title, but written by Sam Giancana's daughter Antoinette. This is not it.

The first is one Ive never been particularly keen to read, knowing as I do the habits of Joe & his son Bill to rewrite their own roles as common gangsters into noble exceptions; however, I am finding myself enjoying it, especially the early parts of the book that describe the Banana Wars, Bonanno's falling out with the Commission & early Bonanno/Maranzano/Castellamarese mafia family history.

Actually, I am far more impressed by this work so far then "A Man Of Honor", which I always thought had been written first. I have since realised that this came first, & also that Joe was apparrantly unhappy with the book, stating to Talese that his son Bill had been "too sincere" with him. Even with the benefit of knowing more now then was then available (for example, the description of Bonanno's attendance at the Hotel de Palmes mafia summit of October '57 as a "visit to childhood friends") i am finding it to be quite good.

The second book, "Mafia Princess" relates the story of an Anglo-Italian womans whose father & other relatives are Calabrian Ndrina, specifically the Di Giovine & Serraino clans which were involved in the series of skirmishes that became known as the Second Ndrangheta War. She is related to a well known female boss, a position much more common in the Caabrian mafia then any other.
So far, meh. Nothing realy interesting. Its picks up a bit when her fugitive father Emilio Di Giovine spends time in America, spedifically New York, where she claims he fell in the Cherry Hill Gambino's (incorrectly describing John Gambino as Carlo's son)as a drug supplier & links him to John Gotti. Its not that the idea of a Calabrian connection to the Cherry Hill crew is so unbelievable, more the idea that an Italian illegal previously unheard of in New York mafia history got so close to Gotti himself, who supposedly "protected" Di Giovine.
Hopefully it picks up soon, because I do find the Calabrian model to be very interesting.

I picked up both these books for a buck each at an op-shop. Cheering eh? Especially since Mafia Princess was only published last year.

Also I picked up & absolutlely demolished "Westies: Inside Hells Kitchen's Irish Mob", TJ English's definitive account of the Westies duing the reign of Jimmy Coonan & Mickey Featherstone. Ive never been too interested in Coonan & co, apart from his dealings with Roy DeMeo, but this was actually one of the best book on OC Ive ever read.

(cough.)
Re: Mafia Books [Re: GerryLang] #604657
06/02/11 08:13 PM
06/02/11 08:13 PM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
I picked up two books last week at a used book store, "Mafia Wife" and "GoodGuys." Mafia Wife was a pretty uneventful read, basically a pity party by Louie Milito's wife. She is another woman who no longer loves the life because she is no longer benefiting from it since her husband is dead, it does give a different perspective of the life.

Whole-heartedly agree. If things had gone a bit different for Milito we never would have heard of Linda Milito, since she'd still be a happy mob wife. Nonetheless, her recounting of a mob associates daily-grind is interestng, like makin the rounds on parking meters to cut of the tops & get at the coins. Almost funny.

Last edited by Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica; 06/02/11 08:13 PM.

(cough.)
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #604765
06/04/11 02:44 PM
06/04/11 02:44 PM
G
GerryLang Offline
Underboss
GerryLang  Offline
G
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica
I picked up two books last week at a used book store, "Mafia Wife" and "GoodGuys." Mafia Wife was a pretty uneventful read, basically a pity party by Louie Milito's wife. She is another woman who no longer loves the life because she is no longer benefiting from it since her husband is dead, it does give a different perspective of the life.

Whole-heartedly agree. If things had gone a bit different for Milito we never would have heard of Linda Milito, since she'd still be a happy mob wife. Nonetheless, her recounting of a mob associates daily-grind is interestng, like makin the rounds on parking meters to cut of the tops & get at the coins. Almost funny.

Yeah, the day to day stuff was pretty interesting, I was surprised that Louie left so little money when he died, him and his wife seemed to have made a good bit of money both legally and illegally, but it seems they spent it just as fast, and Linda had no problems spending it. She talks about her mental illness sparingly in the book, but by the end you can see the woman is really screwed up in the head.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #607564
07/12/11 08:12 PM
07/12/11 08:12 PM
B
bostonmob Offline
Wiseguy
bostonmob  Offline
B
Wiseguy
Check out this new book about life inside the Boston Mafia
http://www.authonomy.com/books/34687/dir...-the-hard-way-/

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #609312
07/29/11 08:15 AM
07/29/11 08:15 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
That actually looks pretty good bostonmob.

I recently picked up "Made Men" by Greg B. Smith. Pretty compact little read, and actually not bad. It basically offers a crashcourse on Sam "The Plumber" DeCavalcante and the DeCavalcante Family, while chronicling the exploits of former rising mob star Ralph Guarino by way of main narrative. Starting with his independant schemes and leading to his eventual reporting to Vinny Ocean, all the while wired for sound.

I realised very early on, like most of us,, that the vast majority of mob-lit was centred around New York, so when I come across books dedicated to any Family other then the Five, I snap it. I know the DeCavalcante's are not really all that removed geographically from NY, but the book is still distincly focused on NJ. Cool if thats what you're after.

One of the more interesting characters detailed in the book IMO was low level DeCavalcante associate Joseph "Joey O" Masella. In hock to something like three out of the Five Families, including his own, and forever running around on either mob errands or his own schemes, this guy was the epitome of the mob gopher, the guy always on to this or that, rich one day off a rare win, but always pretty much broke. The guy left behind twenty years after all the guys he grew up with were either made or moved away. His pathetic claims that "They offered to make me, I just didnt want it" just dont hold water with me. What other reason has this guy been hanging round for decades if not vying for a place in that secret boys club, La Cosa Nostra...?

Anyway, also some great info on guys like Vinny Ocean, Tin Ear Sclafani, Anthony Capo, Anthony Rotondo and other guys around them at the time. It even details the sad-but-true occasion when a car full of DeCavalcante wiseguys were recorded wondering aloud if that new television show The Soprano's wasn't just based on them and guys they knew in the neighbourhood.

Incidentally, this may or may not have been entirely true. And though it wasn't mentioned in the book, I believe these recordings were later used against said wiseguys in court, by way of "What do you mean they're not gangters from New Jersey? We have them on tape comparing themselves to gangters from New Jersey!"

All in all, well worth the Twelve Bucks I paid for it. smile

Last edited by Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica; 07/29/11 08:19 AM.

(cough.)
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #609330
07/29/11 01:31 PM
07/29/11 01:31 PM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss
I Read Valachi Papers. It was certainly interesting, but Valachi seemed to be lacking in depth. At times this was a good thing. Because Valachi will tell the story as he saw it, from a literal perspective, but the reader realizes x character went crazy, y character was scheming even when Valachi doesn't. I'm in the middle of Blood and Honor. Caramandi is a better narrator, but once again, he fails to show remorse when we'd like to see it. I guess that's the price of quoting a gangster. Even if Gravano might have feigned it in Underboss, it's still believable.

I was recommended a book called I Heard You Paint Houses about Frank Sheeran. I wasn't interested at first, but now I realize it might shed some light on the Bufalinos. Is it as good as they say? Is he reliable?

Last edited by BarrettM; 07/29/11 02:02 PM.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: BarrettM] #609331
07/29/11 02:10 PM
07/29/11 02:10 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Valachi told what he knew, but in reality, he was too low down in the organization to know a lot. But the FBI ate it all up because they had almost nothing on the inner workings of the Mafia--Hoover simply ignored the Mob until that time.

"Underboss" was an interesting read. Exposed the mind of a psychopathic killer.

"I Hear You Paint Houses" is interesting about how Sheeran got involved with Hoffa, and does shed some light on Russell Bufalino. But it promises to expose Hoffa's killing, and comes up just short. Keep in mind that it was published after Sheeran died.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #609342
07/29/11 05:50 PM
07/29/11 05:50 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Reading Valachi's story I get the impression his fellow mobsters only woke him up for the REALLY important meetings.. lol whistle

Winter is Coming

Re: Mafia Books [Re: pizzaboy] #609388
07/30/11 06:22 PM
07/30/11 06:22 PM
Slapout, Alabama
R
ronnie_little Offline
Made Member
ronnie_little  Offline
R
Made Member
Slapout, Alabama
Do you know who the author was of the book "Mobbed Up" ??

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #609489
08/01/11 07:27 AM
08/01/11 07:27 AM
Mukremin Offline
Underboss
Mukremin  Offline
Underboss
Woohoo i just received Mob Killer and Surviving the Mob, i bought them from ebay smile

Up to date mafia charts --> https://cosanostracharts.wordpress.com/
Page 22 of 80 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 79 80

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull