GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Irishman12, CNote, 2 invisible), 361 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,446
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,850
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,509
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,312
Posts1,058,411
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 21 of 80 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 79 80
Re: Mafia Books [Re: MrAdams] #592421
01/27/11 03:49 AM
01/27/11 03:49 AM
Mooney Offline
Capo
Mooney  Offline
Capo
Originally Posted By: MrAdams
I enjoyed The Brotherhoods, got through it pretty quick whilst on my last holiday.

Has anyone read "Making Jack Faclone" about the guy who went undercover in the Gambino's? Its been recomended to me but i dont really trust the source!

Making Jack Falcone is a decent read, definitely worth reading.

"Thank God for the American Jury System" - Nicky Scarfo
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Mooney] #592481
01/27/11 06:06 PM
01/27/11 06:06 PM
G
GerryLang Offline
Underboss
GerryLang  Offline
G
Underboss
I just finished The Brotherhoods, and I loved it. It's a long book, but there are no dry or boring spells, I had a hard time putting it down to be honest. There are loads of interesting characters in the book, like Burt Kaplan. He was a Jewish associate of the Luchese and close friend of Casso, and the go between for the "mafia cops" and Casso. Kaplan had legit business dealings, but was also involved in loads of illegal activities across the world! I was surprised the cops were able to get away with the stuff they did while on the force for so long. Eppolito especially, the guy is about as delusional as a person can be. The NYPD must have been really be crooked during that era. One thing I do find odd is the fact that the "mafia cops" were never caught on surveillance meeting with Kaplan, because he was under surveillance for years.

I've read the "Making of Jack Falcone." I thought it was a good read, but an average book on the mafia. Garcia only dealt with one made member really, Greg DePalma. Other then that he had no other knowledge of or history with the mafia. He also had that huge ego that is often found amongst FBI agents who are succesful going undercover, ala Pistone.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #592844
02/01/11 02:00 PM
02/01/11 02:00 PM
Mooney Offline
Capo
Mooney  Offline
Capo
UPS just dropped off "Surviving the Mob" Can't wait to read it! It has a lot of glossy pictures in the middle of associates, soldiers and capos which is always nice. I just hope the hard cover comes out soon. I hate soft covers.

Will keep everyone updated as to how i liked it...should only take me a week. LOL

"Thank God for the American Jury System" - Nicky Scarfo
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #592853
02/01/11 02:48 PM
02/01/11 02:48 PM
Mukremin Offline
Underboss
Mukremin  Offline
Underboss
Mooney, please give a review after you read a part grin cant wait the buy it.

Up to date mafia charts --> https://cosanostracharts.wordpress.com/
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Mukremin] #594053
02/12/11 05:18 PM
02/12/11 05:18 PM
3l3m3ntal Offline
Wiseguy
3l3m3ntal  Offline
Wiseguy
THE TRIADS by Martin Booth
THE DRAGON SYNDICATES by Martin Booth

Two excellent books on the Triads international organized crime. They both cover alot of the same ground though I believe THE TRIADS concentrates more of the earlier history whileas THE DRAGON SYNDICATES covers more of the later 19th and 20th history. They bookend each other quite nicely, but if given a choice between the two, I would choose Booth's second book, THE DRAGON SYNDICATES. Of course after Booth wrote them, he had to go under hiding.

DRUG LORD by Terrence E Poppa

From the Library Journal

Pablo Acosta was a living legend in his Mexican border town of Ojinaga. He smuggled tremendous amounts of drugs into the United States; he survived numerous attempts on his power--and his life--by rivals; and he blessed the town with charity and civic improvements. He was finally slain in 1987, during a raid by Mexican officials with the cooperation of U.S. law enforcement. Poppa, a news reporter and Pulitzer Prize finalist for his work on this story, has turned out a detailed and exciting book, covering in depth Acosta's life; the other drug factions that battled with him; the village of Ojinaga; and the logistics of the drug operation. The result is a nonfiction account with enough greed, treachery, shoot-outs, and government corruption to fascinate true crime and crime fiction readers alike. Highly recommended.

CITIZEN SOMERVILLE by Bobby Martini, Elayne Keratsis

Review
Underworld dramas in Boston have made headlines for decades but we've never heard from the supporting cast, the women and children. In Citizen Somerville their tales make for an eye-opening, fascinating read. Laura Raposa --The Boston Herald

An instant classic by a true insider, it will have you turning pages late into the night. Dripping with authenticity, and the rough-and-tumble characters within are alternately harrowing and hilarious. A great read! --Writer/Director Bobby Farrelly

A truly magnificent work. A gripping account of the Winter Hill Gang and other remarkable events that occurred in and around Boston over decades. One of the best books I've read in a long time. Get it! --Ed Begley, Jr.
Product Description
In the early 1960's a bloody civil war broke out between the two powerful Irish Mob families in the Somerville Massachusetts neighborhood known as Winter Hill. Over sixty men were murdered, including the leader of the Winter Hill Gang, James "Buddy" McLean. The leadership of one of the most influential non-Italian crime organizations in the United States was inherited by his childhood friend, Howard T. "Howie" Winter. In CITIZEN SOMERVILLE the events during his tenure offer a true picture of an era in Boston's pre-Whitey Bulger history when the streets were protected by a close-knit group of Irish-Italian "businessmen." The son of one of Winter's closest friends, BOBBY MARTINI has laid his own history bare to depict a life of survival in the rough streets of Somerville, stopping just short of entering the Mob life. The death of Martini's two brothers as well as the murders and suicides of scores of others reveal the darker personal side of a small New England town. CITIZEN SOMERVILLE slices a layer deeper than a crime memoir by allowing a usually ostracized faction to speak - the women. After decades of silence, three strong and very different females lift the Mob veil and voice their own struggle to survive in Somerville's criminal circle. Often painfully poignant and yet frequently hilarious, CITIZEN SOMERVILLE is a microscopic view of a generation struggling to walk the moral tightrope between societal decency and the loyalty of criminality. THE BOSTON HERALD'S Laura Raposa writes..."Stories of Howie Winter and his lieutenants are legendary in Boston, but 'Citizen Somerville' brings them back to life with a bonus: the stories behind the stories. The underworld dramas in the Boston burg have made headlines for decades, but we've never heard from the supporting cast, namely the women and children. Their tales make for an eye-opening, fascinating read."

NOTE: 31 5-STAR AMAZON.COM REVIEWS AND COUNTING!

I am currently reading Robert Saviano's GOMORRAH, nearly half way through and find it less than satisfying. Saviano is all over the place covering a whole lotta ... nothing ... just spouting facts rather than solid on-the-scene cutting edge journalism.

BTW, aren't there 6 Southern Italy crime organizations? Basilischi based in Basilicata, Camorra in Naples, Cosa Nostra in Sicily, La Stidda in Sicily, Ndrangheta in Calabria, Sacra Corona Unita in Puglia. And 1 Northern Italy crime organization? Mala Del Brenta in Veneto. Sans foreign emigrating COs. I am seeking to increase my knowledge of international crime organizations.

Hey, I found this forum through searching for mob book recommendations and have collected plenty from this thread, thanks!

Last edited by 3l3m3ntal; 02/12/11 05:26 PM.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #595428
02/24/11 04:33 PM
02/24/11 04:33 PM
New York City
E
EVL Offline
Wiseguy
EVL  Offline
E
Wiseguy
New York City
I have to say -- all of Jerry Capeci's books are great: two are focused primarily on John Gotti (Mobstar, which was written while Gotti was still Gambino boss and uses a lot of fascinating wiretapped conversations, and Gotti: Rise and Fall, which tells the whole story), but I actually like Murder Machine the best, which is about the Roy DeMeo crew of psychotic murdering car thieves and the DeMeo/Gambino capo Nino Gaggi partnership.

Selwyn Raabs's Five Families is, to me, the bible of organized crime, tracing it from its roots to the present. You can't not read it if you are a fan of this genre. Sure, it's long, but it is so compellingly written I went right through it.

I just started reading the First Family by Mike Dash which is unique in that it focuses on the Morello Family, the first crime family in America, and focuses on the American mafia in the pre-1930 period, before the Masseria and Maranzano war which Luck Luciano stepped in and ended, then organized the mob into the Five Families we still now today (although Profaci was renamed Colombo for causing problems for other bosses).

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #595439
02/24/11 06:45 PM
02/24/11 06:45 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Which one of these two books about the Chicago Outfit are better and why?

http://www.amazon.com/Outfit-Gus-Russo/d...3393&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chicago-Outfit-A...3411&sr=8-3

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Sonny_Black] #595752
02/27/11 04:38 PM
02/27/11 04:38 PM
G
GerryLang Offline
Underboss
GerryLang  Offline
G
Underboss
I picked up " Made Men" yesterday, it's about the DeCavalcantes. So far it is not an overly interesting book, but it is readable.

I wasn't a big fan of Gomorrah. The author comes off as an FBI agent if he was American, and not a regular citizen with his sensational claims and use of bogus financial numbers. From Savino's claims the Camorra control the global arms, drug, human trafficking, and counterfitting trades amongst others. There is no doubt they are a powerful organization, but I don't think they are nearly as powerful as he claims.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: GerryLang] #595928
02/28/11 03:37 PM
02/28/11 03:37 PM
3l3m3ntal Offline
Wiseguy
3l3m3ntal  Offline
Wiseguy
Originally Posted By: GerryLang

I wasn't a big fan of Gomorrah. The author comes off as an FBI agent if he was American, and not a regular citizen with his sensational claims and use of bogus financial numbers. From Savino's claims the Camorra control the global arms, drug, human trafficking, and counterfitting trades amongst others. There is no doubt they are a powerful organization, but I don't think they are nearly as powerful as he claims.

Agreed. And it is a pretty dry read too. International organized crime is definitely a multi-culti agenda, not one organization monopolizes but rather it is networked through organizations co-operating with one another internationally.

I thought I was gonna be delivered a first-hand account, meet the personalities on both sides of the law. I was anticipating an entrepid journalist's penetration into perhaps even the inner-sanctum of the Camorra. But rather it did come across a sensational piece better suited for primetime television than material for a book.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #595996
03/01/11 12:30 PM
03/01/11 12:30 PM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline
Underboss
Netherlands
I've just bought Vito Ciancimino: Mafia mayor. I'm really interested in this one, did anyone read it already?

Re: Mafia Books [Re: 3l3m3ntal] #596018
03/01/11 06:17 PM
03/01/11 06:17 PM
G
GerryLang Offline
Underboss
GerryLang  Offline
G
Underboss
Originally Posted By: 3l3m3ntal
[quote=GerryLang]

Agreed. And it is a pretty dry read too. International organized crime is definitely a multi-culti agenda, not one organization monopolizes but rather it is networked through organizations co-operating with one another internationally.

I thought I was gonna be delivered a first-hand account, meet the personalities on both sides of the law. I was anticipating an entrepid journalist's penetration into perhaps even the inner-sanctum of the Camorra. But rather it did come across a sensational piece better suited for primetime television than material for a book.

Yes, it just like countries in the age of globalism, none is self sufficient, they have to trade with other countries. It is the same with criminal groups, they have to work with each other, not one group controls all the rackets. Savino tried to make it out like the Cammora had its tentacles wrapped around the globe, and control just about every racket under the sun. It is like how he claims the Cammora controls the drug trade, but they ain't growing cocaine or heroin in Naples, the Cammora have to get those drugs from someone.

Last edited by GerryLang; 03/06/11 07:51 PM.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: GerryLang] #596433
03/06/11 07:59 PM
03/06/11 07:59 PM
G
GerryLang Offline
Underboss
GerryLang  Offline
G
Underboss
I finished "Made Men" a few days ago, it was one of the most disappointing mafia books I've read. It wasn't nearly as bad as the "Double Cross" by Chuck Giancana though, which I thought was unreadable. "Made Men" spends most of its time focusing on a low level wannabe who became an informant after he was caught in connection of a bank heist at the WTC in 1998. I learned more about the Soprano's from reading the book then I did about the DeCavalcante family and their doings.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: GerryLang] #596503
03/07/11 12:28 PM
03/07/11 12:28 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
In the past, I've described "Made Men" as readable, but not very informative smile.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Mooney] #596505
03/07/11 02:18 PM
03/07/11 02:18 PM
J
jvanley Offline
Made Member
jvanley  Offline
J
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Mooney
I enjoyed The Brotherhoods, got through it pretty quick whilst on my last holiday.

Has anyone read "Making Jack Faclone" about the guy who went undercover in the Gambino's? Its been recomended to me but i dont really trust the source!

Everyone has their own opinions of course but I thought it was the worst book in my collection by far. Not alot of insight to the Mob, It was more of a "boasting book" about Jack Garcia more than the mob. I did this, I did that, look at me, etc

FatGirl:Your cute
Me:Ok
FatGirl:So you wanna buy me a drink?
Me:No
FatGirl:Why not?
Me:Well Its tricky pumpkin,If I buy u a drink, every fat girl in here would think I liked fat girls & ask me to buy them a drink also. See ,I dont like fat girls unless im wasted and given Im only one drink deep so far, so you better buy me the drink honey, cause this 20 bucks aint covering the booze and drive thru ill need to take you home tonight

08/13/2009-jvanley Spanky Bar, 3rd stool from the left
Re: Mafia Books [Re: EVL] #596507
03/07/11 02:21 PM
03/07/11 02:21 PM
J
jvanley Offline
Made Member
jvanley  Offline
J
Made Member
Originally Posted By: EVL
I have to say -- all of Jerry Capeci's books are great: two are focused primarily on John Gotti (Mobstar, which was written while Gotti was still Gambino boss and uses a lot of fascinating wiretapped conversations, and Gotti: Rise and Fall, which tells the whole story), but I actually like Murder Machine the best, which is about the Roy DeMeo crew of psychotic murdering car thieves and the DeMeo/Gambino capo Nino Gaggi partnership.

Selwyn Raabs's Five Families is, to me, the bible of organized crime, tracing it from its roots to the present. You can't not read it if you are a fan of this genre. Sure, it's long, but it is so compellingly written I went right through it.

I just started reading the First Family by Mike Dash which is unique in that it focuses on the Morello Family, the first crime family in America, and focuses on the American mafia in the pre-1930 period, before the Masseria and Maranzano war which Luck Luciano stepped in and ended, then organized the mob into the Five Families we still now today (although Profaci was renamed Colombo for causing problems for other bosses).

Someone who has no idea what the Mafia is could read that book and then speak on teh conversation as though they are a journalist covering the Mob. EXCELLENT informative read. It has funny stories, loads of information, true accounts ,everything a true crime book should have. It is the best book I have ever read by far. Covers from the begginging of LCN up to current times of the Sopranos.

Me:Well Its tricky pumpkin,If I buy u a drink, every fat girl in here would think I liked fat girls & ask me to buy them a drink also. See ,I dont like fat girls unless im wasted and given Im only one drink deep so far, so you better buy me the drink honey, cause this 20 bucks aint covering the booze and drive thru ill need to take you home tonight

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Sonny_Black] #596517
03/07/11 03:32 PM
03/07/11 03:32 PM
J
jvanley Offline
Made Member
jvanley  Offline
J
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

Neither, if you want a good book on the outfit, go pick up "family Secrets"

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Sonny_Black] #596519
03/07/11 03:44 PM
03/07/11 03:44 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI

I have not read the second book. I have read the Russo book. I think it, as much as anything else I've read is a pretty definitive history of the Chicago Outfit from the immediate post-Capone era right up through the late sixties/early seventies.

Russo pretty much sticks to facts. Everything is meticulously documented. There's very little of Roemer's "I heard this from someone I can't identify" flights of fancy.

It lays out the business relationships and internal rivalries which characterized the Outfit. And it really gives the definitive history of Murray Humprhries, who more than any other gangster, really was a real life Tom Hagen. (albeit a more violent one)

The book shows how everything fits together-from shaking down Hollywood film studios to arranging trucking monopolies to moving in on numbers operators. The whole organization is reviewed and just as importantly its links to business leaders and politicians and front men (Sidney Korshak).

It's only at the end of the book that Russo allows himself a little revisionist babble "compared to politicians-some of these guys weren't so bad". Aside from that I can't recommend it strongly enough.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Aristotle] #596520
03/07/11 04:13 PM
03/07/11 04:13 PM
J
jvanley Offline
Made Member
jvanley  Offline
J
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Aristotle
i would like to find a book about the mafia. and how it all started. any ideas?

I will tell you this, the first 3 books I chose to read on the Mafia got me hooked and and I mean, Hook, Line and Sinker. I was a casual fan now I consider myself pretty intelligent on the subject. Anyway, my first 3 reads were:

1. Underboss: Sammy Gravano's account of his life as the Gambino Underboss and then turning Government informant.

2. Gaspipe: Anthony "gaspipe" Casso's tale of basically sasme thing, his rise and fall and into the WP

3. Mob Cops: Louis Eppilito and Steven Carracappa's story of moonlighting as Mafia Hitmen while being NYPD major crime detectives.

I picked these books at random, I knew very little about the Mafia and I was hooked after the first page

Re: Mafia Books [Re: jvanley] #596525
03/07/11 05:48 PM
03/07/11 05:48 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: jvanley

And could you explain why both books aren't good? I suppose you read both...

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Sonny_Black] #596528
03/07/11 06:05 PM
03/07/11 06:05 PM
J
jvanley Offline
Made Member
jvanley  Offline
J
Made Member

And could you explain why both books aren't good? I suppose you read both...

Never did I say those books were not good. Look,if I HAD to pick one, id pick Gus Russo's. If I wanted to learn or read about the Chicago Outfit I would read "Family Affair" (I said it wrong in first post)That is just my personal opinion. The guys asked a question and I gave him my opinion. If I were spending my money to learn or read about the Outfit, I would choose "family affair" over those two books.

Again, just my personal opinion

Last edited by jvanley; 03/07/11 06:07 PM.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: pizzaboy] #596534
03/07/11 06:56 PM
03/07/11 06:56 PM
G
GerryLang Offline
Underboss
GerryLang  Offline
G
Underboss
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
In the past, I've described "Made Men" as readable, but not very informative smile.

I agree, that is the best way to describe it. One of the big events in the book was the murder of Joey Massella, but they never went into who actually killed him. Another big even was the flipping of Vinny Ocean, but they just mention it, never going indepth.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: jvanley] #596536
03/07/11 07:03 PM
03/07/11 07:03 PM
G
GerryLang Offline
Underboss
GerryLang  Offline
G
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Mooney

Everyone has their own opinions of course but I thought it was the worst book in my collection by far. Not alot of insight to the Mob, It was more of a "boasting book" about Jack Garcia more than the mob. I did this, I did that, look at me, etc

I was thumbing through the "Making Jack Falcone" recently, and Garcia is a blowhard. The only guy he was able to fool was a desperate old man, Greg DePalma. I'm actually surprised DePalma wasn't put on the shelf when he was released. There were people wary of DePalma and his big mouth from the 70's, Nino Gaggi thought about whacking him back then. DePalma then was one of the major reasons behind the jailing of Gotti Jr, DePalma was all over FBI bugs talking about shaking down Scores.

The only book I've read about the Chicago Oufit is "Double Cross" by Chuck Giancana, and I didn't finish half of it because it is so terrible. I think the next book I will pick up is the family secrets book. I've read most of "Mafia son" about the Scarpa's, and the book on Tommy Karate while killing time at Barnes and Nobles.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: GerryLang] #596541
03/07/11 07:14 PM
03/07/11 07:14 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: GerryLang
The only guy he was able to fool was a desperate old man, Greg DePalma. I'm actually surprised DePalma wasn't put on the shelf when he was released. There were people wary of DePalma and his big mouth from the 70's, Nino Gaggi thought about whacking him back then. DePalma then was one of the major reasons behind the jailing of Gotti Jr, DePalma was all over FBI bugs talking about shaking down Scores.

Sums Greg up perfectly. He was a careless, desperate, impetuous man, even when he was younger. And although the end of his life reads almost like Greek tragedy (his son Craig's suicide attempt, subsequent coma and eventual death, his wife and other son turning their backs on him, and his dying in prison), he was a pretty lucky guy. Because by rights he should have been put out to pasture years ago. And no one would have scolded the Gambino higher-ups if they had whacked him.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: jvanley] #596551
03/07/11 08:01 PM
03/07/11 08:01 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Never did I say those books were not good. Look,if I HAD to pick one, id pick Gus Russo's. If I wanted to learn or read about the Chicago Outfit I would read "Family Affair" (I said it wrong in first post)That is just my personal opinion. The guys asked a question and I gave him my opinion. If I were spending my money to learn or read about the Outfit, I would choose "family affair" over those two books.

And you're oppinion is appreciated. smile But imo you should have read each of those books first before you can say which one you prefer.

However, at this great blog about the Chicago Outfit they don't recommend Russo's book and they explain why...

http://ganglandchicago.blogspot.com/2010/02/gangland-chicago-book-store.html

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Sonny_Black] #596560
03/07/11 08:30 PM
03/07/11 08:30 PM
J
jvanley Offline
Made Member
jvanley  Offline
J
Made Member

And you're oppinion is appreciated. smile But imo you should have read each of those books first before you can say which one you prefer.

However, at this great blog about the Chicago Outfit they don't recommend Russo's book and they explain why...

I have, thats why I said "neither" and would read "family affair" rather than those 2.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Sonny_Black] #596726
03/08/11 05:04 PM
03/08/11 05:04 PM
3l3m3ntal Offline
Wiseguy
3l3m3ntal  Offline
Wiseguy

Thanks! I know this is a book to avoid.

The Patriarca family is spoken of in Bobby Martini's memoir of Somerville and the Winter Hill Gang in Citizen Somerville, however is there any definitive or worthwhile books written on the Patriarca family?

Likewise, the Philly Bruno/Scarfo family? Blood And Honour the only one? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 3l3m3ntal; 03/08/11 05:04 PM.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: 3l3m3ntal] #596742
03/08/11 08:00 PM
03/08/11 08:00 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI

Likewise, the Philly Bruno/Scarfo family? Blood And Honour the only one? Thanks in advance!

There are a lot of books on the Philly Mob.

The Boardwalk Jungle covers the 70's and 80's mob families in Atlantic City (Philly/NJ/NY) as well as political and business corruption of that time that was both related to/independent of the mob.

The Goodfella Tapes covers Stanfa's era as boss.
The Last Gangster is centered on Ron Previte and the Stanfa/Merlino era.
The Plumber is centered around the Scarfo era.
Blood Oath also details the Scarfo era and transition.
To a varying degree I think these are all worthwhile. They all have slightly different perspectives of course.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Lilo] #596989
03/10/11 06:37 PM
03/10/11 06:37 PM
3l3m3ntal Offline
Wiseguy
3l3m3ntal  Offline
Wiseguy
Originally Posted By: Lilo

There are a lot of books on the Philly Mob.

The Boardwalk Jungle covers the 70's and 80's mob families in Atlantic City (Philly/NJ/NY) as well as political and business corruption of that time that was both related to/independent of the mob.

The Goodfella Tapes covers Stanfa's era as boss.
The Last Gangster is centered on Ron Previte and the Stanfa/Merlino era.
The Plumber is centered around the Scarfo era.
Blood Oath also details the Scarfo era and transition.
To a varying degree I think these are all worthwhile. They all have slightly different perspectives of course.

Awesome, what about books on the Cleveland, Tampa, and New Jersey families? Once again thanks in advance.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Sonny_Black] #596997
03/10/11 07:42 PM
03/10/11 07:42 PM
H
ht2 Offline
Capo
ht2  Offline
H
Capo

I disagree with the conclusions on that website regarding Chicago Outfit by Russo. The book's bibliography is 10 pages long! They cherry picked a couple of sources they personally don't like and slammed the entire book. Perhaps he cross-referenced with other sources. The book does paint Joseph Kennedy in a bad light and some people find this controversial.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: 3l3m3ntal] #597004
03/10/11 09:14 PM
03/10/11 09:14 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI

Awesome, what about books on the Cleveland, Tampa, and New Jersey families? Once again thanks in advance.

As far as NJ, there is Made Men which was already discussed.
There is also The Boys from New Jersey which was really about the seemingly virtually independent Accetturo-Tacetta New Jersey faction of the NY Lucchese Family. There is some historical reference made to the DeCavalante, Genovese and Gambino Families in NJ.

As far as Tampa, the books The Silent Don and Cigar City Mafia are both worthwhile.

On Cleveland, I think some minor references to that group might be found in I heard you paint houses but most of my historical information about the Cleveland Mob (Italian or Jewish or Irish) comes from the book Mobbed Up by James Neff. This is centered about labor leader, mob stooge and FBI informant Jackie Presser, but much like Boardwalk Jungle it really is a fascinating tale of how the Italian element of OC is often just a part of a larger whole.

This book details the Danny Greene war and the links between and among various Midwest criminal groups and the larger Chicago/NY organizations. It explains in exhaustive detail various union pension funds scams, white collar frauds,FBI double dealing, internal union or mob rivalries and how mobsters (made or not) from various families do favors for one another-or try to rip each other off.

Once it came out that Presser was an informant of course some of the mobsters closer to him were upset/worried. Fat Tony Salerno was picked up on wiretap telling soldiers "I think these f****** Chicago guys are gonna knock my brains in".

I think it's one of the better books around on the mob.

Winter is Coming

Page 21 of 80 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 79 80

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull