GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (U talkin' da me ??, Malavita, Big_Tuna93), 577 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,081
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,372
Posts1,059,535
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The -N- Word [Re: J Geoff] #592065
01/24/11 07:54 PM
01/24/11 07:54 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: J Geoff
But we're not having this conversation again.... it's off-topic. wink
My bad; didn't know we'd had one.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: The -N- Word [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #592067
01/24/11 08:00 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
Was I just told not to write on censorship?

Regarding this board's censored features ..... YES (in a word).

You've been here long enough and we've been through this too many times.

You wanna fight censorship in newspapers, movies, etc..... knock yourself out (with my blessing). Just leave this board's very few censored words alone.

Fair enough?

Re: The -N- Word [Re: Fame] #592068
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
I also think occurences of a certain word, phrase or cultural outlook can draw our attention to artistic limits.

Imagine if for instance my DVD of Griffith's Birth of a Nation (1915) had had its sequence of hooded KKK members heroically chasing black people to Wagner's 'Flight of the Valkiries' deleted? It's a politically abhorred film and shouldn't be diluted as such. Griffith is hailed as an innovative cinematic storyteller, but we shouldn't aid author festishism, or distort history, by fine-tuning it to our own wishes.

Re: The -N- Word [Re: SC] #592069
01/24/11 08:03 PM
01/24/11 08:03 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: SC

You wanna fight censorship in newspapers, movies, etc..... knock yourself out (with my blessing). Just leave this board's very few censored words alone.

Fair enough?
Yeah.

If we've been through those things, I've genuinely forgotten.

My post in question also used this board's censored words as an example; the wider point applied to censorship in general.

But yeah, fair enough.

Re: The -N- Word [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #592122
01/25/11 07:28 AM
01/25/11 07:28 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
Originally Posted By: fathersson
It is only a word.
Nothing more and nothing less.

Definition of the word ni**er :

usually offensive; Used as a disparaging term for a Black person; Used as a disparaging term for a member of any dark-skinned people; a member of any dark-skinned race; a member of a socially disadvantaged class of persons; to refer to individuals with dark skin, especially those of indigenous African descent who previously were racially classified;

Barack Obama is a fraudulent ni**er.

Another Definition of the word ni**er : Used as a disparaging term for a member of any socially, economically, or politically deprived group of people; a member of a socially disadvantaged class of persons <it's time for somebody to lead all of America's ni**ers … all the people who feel left out of the political process;

Is that your intent in referencing my President, The President of my country, in using the word ni**er in the context that you did? confused Please help me to understand and see where you may be coming from.

Oh relax; I hoped it would be clear it's obviously just an irrelevant joke.

ni**er is often a term with which black people have identified themselves, just as 'gay' has been successfully adopted by homosexuals.

Obama prides himself on being 'down with it', not in the street sense or black sense but in the political sense. And he's not.

If ni**er is a hip term, then your president, the president of your country, is a fraudulent hipster.

But I'm not talking politics. It's a joke. Feel free to respond to my serious posts, though.

FWIW, I can't remember the last time I said or typed the N word.

This analogy fails Capo. No (sane) black American person identifies himself or herself as a N*****- not even the people who make their money using that word in film or music. If asked they would identify as "Black" or "African-American" or a few other descriptions that are now archaic. I can say with some confidence that's also true of black peoples throughout the diaspora. Whatever they call themselves they don't identify as "n*****"

"Gay" is nowhere near as offensive to people who identify as being attracted to the same sex as "sodomite" or "pervert" or "pederast" or "fa****". "Gay" is in and of itself no longer an insult. More to the point it's what many such people prefer to be called, just as people who used to be known pejoratively as "Gipsies" now seem to want be known as "Roma". It's generally considered polite to refer to people as they wish to be addressed. In fact it's more than polite; it denotes acceptance of their right to define themselves.

Using a racial slur to describe the president of the United States, however ironically, because you disagree with his politics or disagree with the Board's banned word policy, makes no sense.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: The -N- Word [Re: Fame] #592123
01/25/11 07:34 AM
01/25/11 07:34 AM
V
VinnyGorgeous Offline
BANNED
VinnyGorgeous  Offline
BANNED
V
Underboss
I got black friends who call me ni**er and I'm white! I just wish everyone could say it. To me it's just a word. I'd love to be able use it in a positive manner and not worry about getting shot in the face. This is what's wrong with this world. I hate racism.

"What is given, can be taken away. Everyone lies. Everyone dies." - Casey Anthony, in a poem, July 7, 2008
Re: The -N- Word [Re: Lilo] #592127
01/25/11 08:22 AM
01/25/11 08:22 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Lilo
Using a racial slur to describe the president of the United States, however ironically, because you disagree with his politics or disagree with the Board's banned word policy, makes no sense.

clap

Re: The -N- Word [Re: Fame] #592131
01/25/11 09:31 AM
01/25/11 09:31 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I can't believe that I'm hearing "It's just a word." It's NOT just a word. Every word has a deeper meaning and a history, and words should always be chosen carefully, not because of censorship, but to express oneself with true distinction and clarity.

The "N Word" reflects a history of fear, of anger, hate and subjugation. It reflects a time when people were considered property, to be bought and sold and used, and considered no more than livestock. It reflects a time when a people were considered lesser than, when they were denied the essential rights of freedom and education and free expression that were guaranteed to OTHER Americans. It reflects a time when people put their lives on the line to eradicate the usage of that word, and to bring those essential freedoms to those denied them.

Perhaps it's the fact that some haven't lived through those times. Perhaps it's pure flippancy. Perhaps it's racism. But a casual attitude towards it, the desire to bandy it about as if it were meaningless, is something I find appalling.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: The -N- Word [Re: Sicilian Babe] #592137
01/25/11 10:16 AM
01/25/11 10:16 AM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Now we have people who feel that we should only have "good" meaning words around?

Please people, I fully understand that you hate what this word now represents to many people, their feelings and fear.

But, calling for removal of words from our everyday use is as bad as putting bans of our rights or removing books from our reach or better yet the book burnings that have taken place years ago.

Removing the use of this word is not going to change what has happened then or what will happen in the in the future.

Reminds me of people who think that nothing happened during the second World War to the Jewish families.

And while we are it, yelling, and using cutting remarks at people who do not feel the same way that you do are almost as bad.

SB, it is not pure flippancy, or racism or a casual attitude towards it, or even the desire to bandy it about as if it were meaningless, it is called a difference of opinion!

and I do hope that you don't find that appalling.

Everyone please remember, just because you say it louder or meaner or put others down doesn't make your statement the winner. Most times it just shuts the other persons mind off to what you are saying.

Happy posting guys and lets keep the threads fun and interesting!

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: The -N- Word [Re: Fame] #592138
01/25/11 10:31 AM
01/25/11 10:31 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I never said the word should be removed. It has a history, and to remove it from our culture would be absurd. How can you learn from history if you try to erase it?

What I did read are some posts that feel it's "just a word". To me, that's wrong. It's not "just a word". No words are. Words have the power to move, to anger, to incite, to educate, to inspire. Words are incredibly powerful, and to dismiss them is, in my opinion, a mistake.

Personally, I think this is one of the most interesting threads we've had in quite some time. The discussion has been reasonable for the most part, and, at times, illuminating. I applaud Fame for posting such topics recently. It's great to have you back, Fame!

Re: The -N- Word [Re: Sicilian Babe] #592143
01/25/11 11:18 AM
01/25/11 11:18 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
...Perhaps it's the fact that some haven't lived through those times. Perhaps it's pure flippancy. Perhaps it's racism. But a casual attitude towards it, the desire to bandy it about as if it were meaningless, is something I find appalling.

I agree. And most white people do NOT have a casual attitude towards it and know not to cross a line by using it in conversation. And most white people tend to cringe on the rare occassion they might hear another white person use it.

(Anybody remember that infamous Saturday Night Live skit between Chevy Chase & Richard Prior?)

The problem today is that alot of black people do have more of a casual attitude toward it, and do feel comfortable using it toward each other both in a friendly and derogatory way. Perhaps SB is correct in saying it's because they did not live through the history of it.

Which is why certain leaders of the Black Community, whatever their political leanings...are correct in discouraging (as opposed to 'banning') its use in any way, so that one day years from now it is never uttered at all and is only remembered for the dark part of U.S. history it represents.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: The -N- Word [Re: AppleOnYa] #592148
01/25/11 12:36 PM
01/25/11 12:36 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: AppleOnYa

The problem today is that alot of black people do have more of a casual attitude toward it, and do feel comfortable using it toward each other both in a friendly and derogatory way. Perhaps SB is correct in saying it's because they did not live through the history of it.

Apple

Both you and SB are absolutely correct. Case in point. Several years ago while coaching my semi-pro football team, there were several African American young men who continually used that word in conversation. Many of the older African Americans, both players and coaches on the team, were offended by it, as was I.

Turns out that one day several of the young African American players came to me and asked why I was so turned off whenever I heard them use that word (I had implemented a rule where if the word was used by ANYONE, that person or player would have to do 100 push ups and 2 laps around the field)

I sat down with them and explained the background, meaning and what that word represented and you know what? When I was finished many of them told me that they were not aware of it's real meaning and what it represented and thanked me for educating them about it! They told me that they had been brought up thinking that it was a word that was used to show affection towards their peers!

From that day forward, if someone on the team used that word, I no longer had to say "2 Laps and 100 push ups!" Instead the young African Americans who now understood what a hateful and disgusting word it was would hand out the punishment!

As far as I am concerned ANYONE who uses that word outside of using it for the purpose of a discussion such as this, or to educate someone as to it's true meaning, is either mean, hateful or just plain ignorant!

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: The -N- Word [Re: Don Cardi] #592152
01/25/11 01:02 PM
01/25/11 01:02 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
DC,

Your post reminds me of when I was working (middle school)and the couple occasions where the "N" word was used between African American kids (not in a mean manner, they were friends). Of course the school would NOT tolerate that word as you might imagine, but these kids likely didn't know the full impact of the meaning of that word either I suppose??? I don't know, but it seems surely their parents must have discussed it at some point in their lives, no? confused

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: The -N- Word [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #592159
01/25/11 02:00 PM
01/25/11 02:00 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
DC,

Your post reminds me of when I was working (middle school)and the couple occasions where the "N" word was used between African American kids (not in a mean manner, they were friends). Of course the school would NOT tolerate that word as you might imagine, but these kids likely didn't know the full impact of the meaning of that word either I suppose??? I don't know, but it seems surely their parents must have discussed it at some point in their lives, no? confused

TIS

Who knows TIS. Speaking from my own experience with the young football players, as they told me, no one ever took the time to explain to them what the word really represented. So this could very well have been the case with your students.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: The -N- Word [Re: AppleOnYa] #592164
01/25/11 02:33 PM
01/25/11 02:33 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
are correct in discouraging (as opposed to 'banning') its use in any way, so that one day years from now it is never uttered at all and is only remembered for the dark part of U.S. history it represents.

Apple

There you go! clap
Perfect way to put it, without the drama!
Thank-You

"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Re: The -N- Word [Re: Fame] #592165
01/25/11 02:37 PM
01/25/11 02:37 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Just a theory mind you...but I think alot of this casual attitude toward the word itself began with the late great Richard Pryor. His stand up comedy was full of that word and (unless I've got the wrong guy) even the title of one of his one man shows was: 'That (N) is Crazy!

He was absolutely hilarious, no doubt about it and an inspiration for many who came after him, including the equally hilarious Chris Rock.

But I think Pryor was one of the first if not THE first to throw that word around like it was nothing and on top of that use it to be funny. He may have contributed to making it 'acceptable' at least to his own people.

Apple

Last edited by AppleOnYa; 01/25/11 02:57 PM.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: The -N- Word [Re: fathersson] #592166
01/25/11 02:39 PM
01/25/11 02:39 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally Posted By: fathersson
...Perfect way to put it, without the drama!
Thank-You

You are quite welcome and so, do I have brains now?
(Still pissed off about that..but let's get back on topic.)

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: The -N- Word [Re: AppleOnYa] #592167
01/25/11 02:45 PM
01/25/11 02:45 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
But I think Prior was one of the first if not THE first to throw that word around like it was nothing and on top of that use it to be funny.

I think Redd Foxx used it in his nightclub act before Pryor did. I still have a couple of Foxx's old albums (real vinyl lol). I'd have to look at the copyright dates on them. But it's really neither here nor there. Pryor got the most attention with it because of the name of his standup act, and the famous album that followed it.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: The -N- Word [Re: Fame] #592168
01/25/11 02:53 PM
01/25/11 02:53 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
THANKS, pizzaboy...you're right about Redd Foxx.

I guess the difference is that he wasn't really nationally known until 'Sanford & Son' and of course he had to tone down ALOT for 1970's television. Very few really knew of his raunchy nightclub career (including me) until biographies started popping up after be became a star.

Pryor had the benefit of having his act filmed and distributed as a major motion picture release. I remember seeing it and don't think I stopped laughing throughout the entire thing. (Side note: There was a bit he did about how men cannot fathom how a woman can stop & start peeing at will that I still smile about to this day...!) Many more people were exposed to Richard Pryor than had been to the 'pre-television' Redd Foxx.

Apple

Last edited by AppleOnYa; 01/25/11 02:58 PM.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: The -N- Word [Re: SC] #592169
01/25/11 02:57 PM
01/25/11 02:57 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: SC

Fair enough?

This has to remind you of Geroge Carlins famous "play on" the seven dirty words you can't say on TV. lol
The way he said them and defend them, it just made you laugh.

Last edited by fathersson; 01/25/11 03:57 PM.

Re: The -N- Word [Re: fathersson] #592170
01/25/11 03:10 PM
01/25/11 03:10 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
As I mentioned in an earlier post here, Richard Pryor stopped using it after a trip to Africa. As he said, it was a word that described wretchedness, and he vowed to stop using it.

Re: The -N- Word [Re: Fame] #592171
01/25/11 03:22 PM
01/25/11 03:22 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Yes, I remember your post SB. It is to Pryor's credit that he made that decision.

Unfortunately for a few generations, more people became accustomed to his using it in comedy than heard about his revelation as to its true effect.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: The -N- Word [Re: Don Cardi] #592204
01/25/11 06:33 PM
01/25/11 06:33 PM
V
VinnyGorgeous Offline
BANNED
VinnyGorgeous  Offline
BANNED
V
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

As far as I am concerned ANYONE who uses that word outside of using it for the purpose of a discussion such as this, or to educate someone as to it's true meaning, is either mean, hateful or just plain ignorant!

I will bet you a million dollars that all of these kids on your team knew exactly why this word was so controversial. You did not need to tell them. Everybody knows about the slave owners and especially black people. But this word wasn't always seen as a negative. It simply denoted "black skinned". Nineteenth-century English (language) literature features usages of the N word without racist connotation, e.g. the Joseph Conrad novella The ni**er of the 'Narcissus' (1897). The main character is a West Indian black sailor and in no way was he seen as a poor representation of black people. Words can have many meanings and whose to say what the true meaning is or better yet, the right meaning! In no way do I favor racism, but I don't believe in the power of words that are nothing more than some letters scrambled together. What I do believe in, is the power of the thought that is behind the word. You can walk up to me and tell me how bad I am when you're actually complimenting me and telling me how good I am. Yeah! and what about the word motherfucker. When you break that word down, it refers to people who fuck their mothers, but is that really what you think of when you hear it? Most of the time I hear it, it's not even a negative word. It's always like "What's up motherfucker" or "I love this motherfucker". People say it with affection now. I got many black friends and I never looked at them like they were different from any of my white friends. No, I don't use that word. Not because I think it's a bad word, but because of how other people perceive it.

Last edited by VinnyGorgeous; 01/25/11 06:34 PM.

"What is given, can be taken away. Everyone lies. Everyone dies." - Casey Anthony, in a poem, July 7, 2008
Re: The -N- Word [Re: Sicilian Babe] #592216
01/25/11 07:34 PM
01/25/11 07:34 PM
Top o' the World
Fame Offline OP
Underboss
Fame  Offline OP
Underboss
Top o' the World
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Personally, I think this is one of the most interesting threads we've had in quite some time. The discussion has been reasonable for the most part, and, at times, illuminating. I applaud Fame for posting such topics recently. It's great to have you back, Fame!

Yeah, there are some brilliant minds in this forum, and the level of discussion is really high sometimes. Some of the threads in the GF section are truly amazing, for example.

Thanx a lot for the kind words! smile

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)
Re: The -N- Word [Re: Fame] #592223
01/25/11 08:13 PM
01/25/11 08:13 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
To what extent does censoring a word censor history itself?
To what extent does retaining a word's original meaning despite its wide usage in different social contexts (because in different historical contexts) distort the development of language itself?

Lilo, point taken re my failed analogy. If ni**er isn't an official identification, it's still widely used in a lot of different contexts, none of which or most of which are not in any way consciously negative.

I don't agree 'it's just a word', but I don't think words have a fixed meaning removed or isolated from the context in which they occur.

Words have never offended me more than the intention behind them.

For instance, if someone called my mother a [BadWord], I'd be much more offended by the implication that that sort of thing would goad me into a reaction than the 'insult' itself.

Re: The -N- Word [Re: Fame] #592226
01/25/11 08:15 PM
01/25/11 08:15 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
BTW, I recommend the Serengeti & Polyphonic song "My Negativity", which says "My nega-nega-nega" in such a way so as to evoke the N word. Very clever response to the kind of rap music that embraces the word. I can't find a video of it.

Re: The -N- Word [Re: Fame] #592228
01/25/11 08:19 PM
01/25/11 08:19 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
The word might in another generation's time not be a racial slur, by the way.

The times in which its occurence in contemporary society is intended as consciously negative are, in fact, archaic - that is, its usage is archaic, not the word itself - by people consciously retaining its historical use, which is becoming daily diluted due to the development of language through history; by people, that is, behind the times.

Re: The -N- Word [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #592232
01/25/11 08:36 PM
01/25/11 08:36 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
...Words have never offended me more than the intention behind them.

For instance, if someone called my mother a [BadWord], I'd be much more offended by the implication that that sort of thing would goad me into a reaction than the 'insult' itself.

Last summer, I had a minor altercation with another female driver, who appeared to be about 20 years my senior...right on my block where I live. Leaving out the details, the whole thing ended with her yelling the following at me, before driving away:

"I hope you drop dead, you c**t!!!'

Because this was another woman, and an old lady besides...I found and still find this quite hilarious. But if it were a man, no matter what age, I think I would've been pretty upset.

I doubt she expected or even wanted a reaction, her intent was to let off some serious steam.

Words DO have meaning, and in what context and by whom they are said can either magnify or diminish that meaning. But once they are said they cannot be 'un-said'.

Any wannabe intellectual can proclaim what they would do or how they would react IF such & such were said to them, but I really don't feel that life works that way.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: The -N- Word [Re: Fame] #592233
01/25/11 08:43 PM
01/25/11 08:43 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
No, I'm saying from experience that insults have never offended me more than the intentions behind them. And as such, I've no reason to believe it'll be any different for me in the future.

That isn't to say that somebody else won't break down into tears if they're called something they'd rather not be called.

Wannabe intelLOL!

Re: The -N- Word [Re: Fame] #592273
01/26/11 07:35 AM
01/26/11 07:35 AM
Top o' the World
Fame Offline OP
Underboss
Fame  Offline OP
Underboss
Top o' the World
I think the key point in all this discussion, is not whether you have the right to spell out any word you like, or spell out any "collection of letters" -- I think the key point is whether you choose to do so knowing that it will offend afro-americans out there, and mostly the elder generation.

Of course, you can argue that "they choose to be offended" and that you didn't mean to offend anyone, but the fact is that it does offend them regardless of your innocent intentions, because the word triggers bad memories and bad emotions they want to forget.

So if by not saying a certain word I can prevent that from happening, then fine I'm willing to make that "sacrifice".

I do think freedom of speech is important, but I can live with not saying a few words that I don't have to use.

And no, I dont think we ought to "police" ppl about it - I think every individual should think for himself whether to use that word.

And I'd like to add another angle to our discussion:

I ask you all: how do you feel about the Swastika?

Is it just a "collection of lines", just another shape?

Will you tell a Holocaust survivor, that this shape is meaningless, and it could be drawn feely if there's no mal intention involved?

If you happen to like this certain shape, do you think it's perfectly fine to print it on your T-shirt and walk the streets with it?

(nowadays, I think the symbol is mostly used by neo-nazis who spray it on synagogues and jewish graves)

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull