GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 78 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,164
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,388
Posts1,059,830
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: SC] #591185
01/17/11 11:37 PM
01/17/11 11:37 PM
Stewartstown, PA
V
VitoC Offline
Capo
VitoC  Offline
V
Capo
Stewartstown, PA
Originally Posted By: SC
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Originally Posted By: VitoC
And I don't see anything inappropriate about my Michael/Truman analogy. If the shoe fits... I remember Turnbull, in a different context, making an analogy between the two men.

I don't remember that, Vito. If you find it, please post it.

I was curious about this, too. I think this is the reference below (the linked post and some following it):

CLICK HERE

You're absolutely right, SC. This is what I was referring to. Thanks for posting it.

Let me tell ya somethin my kraut mick friend!
Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Don Cardi] #591207
01/18/11 11:37 AM
01/18/11 11:37 AM
Stewartstown, PA
V
VitoC Offline
Capo
VitoC  Offline
V
Capo
Stewartstown, PA
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

I stand by what I said, Don Cardi. If you reject it, that's up to you. But don't give me this condescension--the whole purpose of this board is for people to exchange their opinions.

I have not spoken to you in a condescending way by any means. Not my intention at all. Yes, the whole purpose of this board is for people to exchange opinions, interpretations and ideas. No doubt about it. And there are appropriate threads that have been set up for all of us to do so with those exchanges and debates being posted according to topic that the thread was specifically created for. This is a thread created for discussions and debates regarding the Godfather Trilogy Movies. While I understand that you were trying to make analogies between fictional characters and real life, you need to understand that all I was trying to prevent was having this debate about the movie and it's characters turn into an all out real life political debate. That's all.

One of the definitions you provide is purely subjective on its face--"deliberately violating accepted principles of right and wrong"? Really? Up until the last few decades a white person who dated/married an African-American was "immoral" by that standard. Furthermore, one could view a person as doing a number of things that are immoral, even seriously so, but not label the person as immoral on the whole. This could be true for any number of reasons--including believing that the immoral actions are partially mitigated by context, and/or believing that other aspects of the person's behavior are good and praiseworthy.

Lyndon Johnson's political career included, among other shady things, blatant election fraud in Texas. But I don't consider Johnson an immoral person either, because 1) the Texas political culture was such that one had to be willing to do things like that to survive at that time, and 2) Johnson had numerous redeeming features, particularly his support of civil rights, that I believe outweighed his dark side.

And I don't see anything inappropriate about my Michael/Truman analogy. If the shoe fits...

....But by the post that you made above it is quite obvious that you were not able to realize that all I was doing was trying to prevent this from turning into a real life political debate.

And I don't see anything inappropriate about my Michael/Truman analogy. If the shoe fits... I remember Turnbull, in a different context, making an analogy between the two men.

Can you please find that post? I, like TB, would love to see it!

I wasn't trying to open a political debate either concerning Truman and/or LBJ. I was just using those examples to help illustrate my thought process. I don't think the valid desire to avoid political debates on this forum should mean that members have to avoid any references to political figures in their comments.

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: VitoC] #591211
01/18/11 12:48 PM
01/18/11 12:48 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Vito, we understand by your analogies that you feel that Michael may have been just in the acts that he committed, and that Michael himself probably felt that he could justify his actions. Your reasoning is not in question based on the analogies that you keep providing.

But tell me something ; did Michael ever deliberately violate accepted principles of right and wrong? Was Michael honest or dishonest? Did he use unethical practices to get what he wanted? Did he deal with corrupt people of authority and / or partake in corrupt practices with them to get what he felt that he needed?

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: VitoC] #591212
01/18/11 12:52 PM
01/18/11 12:52 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: Turnbull

I don't remember that, Vito. If you find it, please post it.

I was curious about this, too. I think this is the reference below (the linked post and some following it):

CLICK HERE

You're absolutely right, SC. This is what I was referring to. Thanks for posting it.

Thanks, SC! And thanks, Vito, for remembering it.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Don Cardi] #591214
01/18/11 01:43 PM
01/18/11 01:43 PM
Stewartstown, PA
V
VitoC Offline
Capo
VitoC  Offline
V
Capo
Stewartstown, PA
Vito, we understand by your analogies that you feel that Michael may have been just in the acts that he committed, and that Michael himself probably felt that he could justify his actions. Your reasoning is not in question based on the analogies that you keep providing.

But tell me something ; did Michael ever deliberately violate accepted principles of right and wrong? Was Michael honest or dishonest? Did he use unethical practices to get what he wanted? Did he deal with corrupt people of authority and / or partake in corrupt practices with them to get what he felt that he needed?

Michael was a Mafia don. Obviously, organized crime includes activities that are severely morally questionable at best--for example, union racketeering, forcing shopowners to pay protection money, etc. (I am less convinced when people talk about lives being ruined by gambling and prostitution, it seems to me that the people who provide these services are not necessarily any more responsible for destroying the lives of those who partake of them than liquor store owners are responsible for lives being destroyed by alcoholism). But there are reasons why me and many others had a problem with Michael being labeled a villain on the AFI list of movie villains. Even if one considers organized crime itself immoral, most of Michael's actions in the movies seem justified given the context he is operating in. One could argue that killing other gangsters is not something immoral on its face, given that the people you're killing, such as Moe Greene, Barzini, or Hyman Roth, have themselves chosen to live by the same code of behavior you are. There are exceptions--Michael may well have been able to avoid submitting to Geary's humiliating treatment without killing that prostitute (although Michael himself may not have ordered this). But still, giving the context he is operating in, Michael appears to be someone who, while involved in numerous immoral things, does not seem to be a person one can simply label "immoral" and leave it at that.

I think me and others are also hesistant to label Michael immoral or a villain because of why he came to be a Mafia don in the first place. While he certainly may have gotten greedy and consumed with power, he appears to have come to be a Mafia leader at least partially out of a sense of responsiblity to his family, to take up the mantle when his father was sick and died. There is also the issue of admiration, although this is more an issue when assessing Vito than Michael. It's difficult not to admire how Vito came to the U.S. from nothing, under horrible circumstances, and became someone hugely successful and powerful, creating a dynasty of sorts for his family, even if that ascent involved shady practices. There is something very noble and admirable about creating one's own destiny (as Vito put it, refusing "to be a fool dancing on the strings held by all of those big shots"), even if doing so involves means that aren't so noble. I think this is perhaps the most important factor in being reluctant to consider either Vito or Michael a villain in the sense that one would consider, say, Charles Manson or John Wayne Gacy or Hitler to be one.

And I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but if you're simply going to condemn Michael based on the questions you asked about him and leave it at that, then you have to do the same with many famous pezzanovante as well. I won't name names this time, but all the questions you posed about Michael could also be answered in the affirmative regarding numerous famous politicians, including many that are highly regarded (at least on the whole) by the public and historians. One might argue that there's a difference in that, unlike organized crime, politics isn't inherently about any immoral activities, but nevertheless, the comparison is valid in that it shows how someone can meet all of your criteria for being an "immoral person" and still not be seen as such by many people.

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: VitoC] #591216
01/18/11 01:57 PM
01/18/11 01:57 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Obviously, organized crime includes activities that are severely morally questionable at best--for example, union racketeering, forcing shopowners to pay protection money, etc. (I am less convinced when people talk about lives being ruined by gambling and prostitution, it seems to me that the people who provide these services are not necessarily any more responsible for destroying the lives of those who partake of them than liquor store owners are responsible for lives being destroyed by alcoholism).

I've stayed out of this, Vito, but I'd just like to point out one thing.

You are from a very small town in Pennsylvania, where a guy like Don Cardi is from Brooklyn and has known many wiseguys throughout his lifetime. Same goes for me, being Italian-American and having grown up up in the Belmont section of the Bronx. I know these assholes all my life, and I'm almost 52 years old. Chances are, you never met with or had dealings with any mob types. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm just assuming that a non-Italian composer from rural Pennsylvania never had cause to meet with any of these guys. If that's the case, lucky you. I was a union delegate and then a business agent with the Teamsters in Queens for over twenty years, just so you don't think I'm one of these Internet pseudo mob "experts."

Do you think you might think differently about these guys if you had grown up around them and/or maybe lost a loved one to either mob violence or a penal institution?

I enjoy your posts very much, so I'm not trying to provoke an argument. I'm just asking.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: pizzaboy] #591218
01/18/11 02:13 PM
01/18/11 02:13 PM
Stewartstown, PA
V
VitoC Offline
Capo
VitoC  Offline
V
Capo
Stewartstown, PA
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Obviously, organized crime includes activities that are severely morally questionable at best--for example, union racketeering, forcing shopowners to pay protection money, etc. (I am less convinced when people talk about lives being ruined by gambling and prostitution, it seems to me that the people who provide these services are not necessarily any more responsible for destroying the lives of those who partake of them than liquor store owners are responsible for lives being destroyed by alcoholism).

You are from a very small town in Pennsylvania, where a guy like Don Cardi is from Brooklyn and has known many wiseguys throughout his lifetime. Same goes for me, being Italian-American and having grown up up in the Belmont section of the Bronx. I know these assholes all my life, and I'm almost 52 years old. Chances are, you never met with or had dealings with any mob types. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm just assuming that a non-Italian composer from rural Pennsylvania never had cause to meet with any of these guys. If that's the case, lucky you. I was a union delegate and then a business agent with the Teamsters in Queens for over twenty years, just so you don't think I'm one of these Internet pseudo mob "experts."

Do you think you might think differently about these guys if you had grown up around them and/or maybe lost a loved one to either mob violence or a penal institution?

I enjoy your posts very much, so I'm not trying to provoke an argument. I'm just asking.

Your point is well taken, PB. It's true, I haven't had dealings with anyone from the mob. But I think I should point out that the subject of my posts above was Michael and Vito. I wasn't talking about anyone from real life. I hope no one concludes that I consider the Mafia as a whole to be some wonderfully noble institution. I agree that the Godfather movies certainly do romanticize organized crime (or at least don't show all of it). I certainly wouldn't have a problem with, say, Jimmy or Tommy in Goodfellas, or Ralphie or Phil Leotardo from the Sopranos, being labeled immoral or an asshole.

Last edited by VitoC; 01/18/11 02:18 PM.

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Danito] #591219
01/18/11 02:22 PM
01/18/11 02:22 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Not to "pile on" or try to equate to what Pizzaboy has experienced but I have a lot of family in Chicago/Berwyn/Cicero. A couple of my cousins wanted to open a LEGITIMATE bar/restaurant/night club thing back in the 70's only to be met with a TON of headaches. First of all, we are Italian so having a vowel at the end of the last name came with an automatic stigma. Long story short, they had to make some "concessions" to "people" just to open the doors and they lost their asses in the process. Eventually, they got out from "under" and had to leave Illinois altogether. One of my cousins actually had to sneak back into Chicago unannounced just to be able to attend his father's funeral. He came for 2 hours and flew out that afternoon under the radar. These "men of honor" or "wiseguys" or whatever you want to call them are scum. ANYTHING for a buck - including ruining someone's life and/or taking it.

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: VitoC] #591220
01/18/11 02:23 PM
01/18/11 02:23 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI

Your point is well taken, PB. It's true, I haven't had dealings with anyone from the mob. But I think I should point out that the subject of my posts above was Michael and Vito. I wasn't talking about anyone from real life. I hope no one concludes that I consider the Mafia as a whole to be some wonderfully noble institution. I agree that the Godfather movies certainly do romanticize organized crime (or at least don't show all of it). I certainly wouldn't have a problem with, say, Jimmy or Tommy in Goodfellas, or Ralphie or Phil Leotardo from the Sopranos, being labeled immoral or an asshole.

Then we are agreed. The Godfather movies certainly do romanticize organized crime as Vito assents and real life mobsters are much worse than anyone shown as protagonists in the films as PB and DC would likely concur. And there will be the peace on the board...

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Danito] #591221
01/18/11 02:25 PM
01/18/11 02:25 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
clap clap clap

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Mark] #591222
01/18/11 02:27 PM
01/18/11 02:27 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Mark
These "men of honor" or "wiseguys" or whatever you want to call them are scum. ANYTHING for a buck - including ruining someone's life and/or taking it.

Absolutely.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Danito] #591228
01/18/11 03:18 PM
01/18/11 03:18 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Lilo
Then we are agreed. The Godfather movies certainly do romanticize organized crime as Vito assents and real life mobsters are much worse than anyone shown as protagonists in the films as PB and DC would likely concur. And there will be the peace on the board...

But I must have strict assurance from VitoC -- as time goes by and his position becomes stronger, will he attempt any individual vendetta?

Actually, Don Cardi should have said this, but nevermind. wink

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Sonny_Black] #591229
01/18/11 03:24 PM
01/18/11 03:24 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

But I must have strict assurance from VitoC -- as time goes by and his position becomes stronger, will he attempt any individual vendetta?

Look, Sonny. We are all reasonable people here. We don't have to give each other assurances as if we were pre-teens. After all....this isn't Myspace.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Lilo] #591231
01/18/11 03:42 PM
01/18/11 03:42 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Lilo, When I meet with the VitoC's people, should I insist that all his analogies are legitimate analogies?

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Danito] #591233
01/18/11 03:47 PM
01/18/11 03:47 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
You talk about vengeance. Is vengeance going to "friend" you on Facebook? Or vote a "like this" for me or Pizzaboy? If anyone else on this forum is "unfriended", I'm going to start blaming some of the posters in this thread... wink

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Don Cardi] #591234
01/18/11 03:49 PM
01/18/11 03:49 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Lilo, When I meet with the VitoC's people, should I insist that all his analogies are legitimate analogies?

Mention it Don Cardi, don't insist. lol

Winter is Coming

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Mark] #591239
01/18/11 05:22 PM
01/18/11 05:22 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
You talk about vengeance. Is vengeance going to "friend" you on Facebook? Or vote a "like this" for me or Pizzaboy? If anyone else on this forum is "unfriended", I'm going to start blaming some of the posters in this thread... wink

And that I don't forgive. But, that aside, let me say that I swear on the souls of my fellow Board members that I will not be the one to use false analogies.

Last edited by olivant; 01/18/11 05:23 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Mark] #591240
01/18/11 05:24 PM
01/18/11 05:24 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York

I knew it.... it was pizzaboy all along.

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: SC] #591244
01/18/11 05:46 PM
01/18/11 05:46 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

He's small potatoes.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Lilo] #591250
01/18/11 06:38 PM
01/18/11 06:38 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

Look, Sonny. We are all reasonable people here. We don't have to give each other assurances as if we were pre-teens. After all....this isn't Myspace.

smile

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Don Cardi] #591254
01/18/11 07:27 PM
01/18/11 07:27 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

He's small potatoes.

Last time I stick up for you tongue.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: pizzaboy] #591266
01/18/11 10:18 PM
01/18/11 10:18 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

He's small potatoes.

Last time I stick up for you tongue.

And what is the interest for Mark's Family?

Will you take care of Mark outta your share?

Don Cardi cool

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Don Cardi] #591334
01/19/11 01:46 PM
01/19/11 01:46 PM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline OP
Underboss
Danito  Offline OP
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: Don Cardi

And what is the interest for Mark's Family?

Will you take care of Mark outta your share?

My compliments.

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Danito] #591343
01/19/11 03:15 PM
01/19/11 03:15 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Pizzaboy came to my home and he asked my permission to get rid of Cardi. When I refused he tried to have me killed. He was stupid, I was lucky. I'll visit him son. The important thing is that nothing interferes with our plans for the future. Yours and mine.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: dontomasso] #591358
01/19/11 05:47 PM
01/19/11 05:47 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Pizzaboy came to my home and he asked my permission to get rid of Cardi. When I refused he tried to have me killed. He was stupid, I was lucky. I'll visit him son. The important thing is that nothing interferes with our lans for the future. Yours and mine.

Nothing is more important.

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: SC] #591366
01/19/11 06:30 PM
01/19/11 06:30 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

Settle these troubles with the pizzaboy / Mark brothers.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Don Cardi] #591368
01/19/11 06:44 PM
01/19/11 06:44 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York

Settle these troubles with the pizzaboy / Mark brothers.

If I kill one, I kill them all. shhh

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Danito] #591370
01/19/11 06:58 PM
01/19/11 06:58 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Pizzaboy, do you know how they will come after you?

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Mark] #591469
01/20/11 04:03 PM
01/20/11 04:03 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

Mark, can you arrange security for pizzaboy, on your turf, where he'll be safe?

Don Cardi cool

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Don Cardi] #591471
01/20/11 04:08 PM
01/20/11 04:08 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss

Mark, can you arrange security for pizzaboy, on your turf, where he'll be safe?

As long as we don't take separate cars - that will screw up all my arrangements.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull