GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, 1 invisible), 69 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,166
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,388
Posts1,059,830
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Why "Godfather"? #589745
01/03/11 06:58 AM
01/03/11 06:58 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline OP
Underboss
Danito  Offline OP
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
This may sound naive, but why do they call Vito "Godfather"?
He's definitely Johnny's Godfather, perhaps Godfather of Nazorine's daughter. Tessio and Clemenza also call him Godfather.
But even Moe Greene calls him Godfather.
Why?
He insists being called Godfather by Bonasera, obviously for reasons of submission.

Tom is pointing out that the godson/godfather realtionship is very religious, sacred, close.
But we must believe that it's more kind of a title, derived from the patronage system in Sicily.

Did Puzo invent this for the book or has this term been used before?

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Danito] #589757
01/03/11 11:21 AM
01/03/11 11:21 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
No, the term is just as Tom explained it to Woltz. While normally a religious affiliation, there were many who came to love and respect Vito for his help (like Nazorine the baker), so they called him "Godfather" for those reasons.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #589807
01/03/11 08:33 PM
01/03/11 08:33 PM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline OP
Underboss
Danito  Offline OP
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: Sicilian Babe
, so they called him "Godfather" for those reasons.

For which reasons?

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Danito] #589810
01/03/11 09:10 PM
01/03/11 09:10 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: Danito
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
, so they called him "Godfather" for those reasons.

For which reasons?

It's a criminal perversion of what should be a sacred/familial relationship but it's also a recognition of the fact that Vito Corleone did help a lot of people. This was obviously mostly out of self-interest and he got something out of the deal but he was (as depicted in the book and movie) a sort of patriarch for not only his criminal followers but to a lesser extent to the larger community.

You need protection from shakedown artists? Talk to Vito.
You want advice on whether you should open up a new grocery store? Talk to Vito.
You just arrived from overseas and need employment? Talk to Vito.
You need someone to mediate a political dispute? Talk to Vito.
You can't decide who to vote for? Talk to Vito.
You need for the city/state licensing board to stop bothering your business? Talk to Vito.
You want to have Vito as a friend? Ask him to be godfather to your children.

All this and more meant that (as described in book and movie) that Vito was the most powerful Mafia leader in the US with political connections that were deep and wide.

So being called -Godfather/Padrone/Padrino etc.. would have been a recognition of this status by his friends and enemies, by people in his line of work and people that were completely law-abiding, that Vito Corleone stood at the very top of a huge system of patronage and corruption that could work for you, if you were his friend.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Lilo] #589812
01/03/11 09:15 PM
01/03/11 09:15 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Lilo
You want advice on whether you should open up a new grocery store? Talk to Vito.
You need for the city/state licensing board to stop bothering your business? Talk to Vito.

Fuck you. Pay me.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #589818
01/03/11 11:02 PM
01/03/11 11:02 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
While normally a religious affiliation, there were many who came to love and respect Vito for his help (like Nazorine the baker), so they called him "Godfather" for those reasons.

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: pizzaboy] #589848
01/04/11 12:45 PM
01/04/11 12:45 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: Lilo

Fuck you. Pay me.

EXACTLY... lol

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Lilo] #589857
01/04/11 02:25 PM
01/04/11 02:25 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
The scene with Bonasera shows a certain conceit on Vito's part. Bonasera wasn't ready to accept the type of "godfather" relationship that his other petitioners had with him. Bonasera wanted to treat him as a hired gun. Obviously Vito wasn't going to let Bonasera use him that way. But, IMO, he reinforced his terms by demanding that Bonasera call him "godfather" ("you don't even think to call me Godfather...").

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Turnbull] #589862
01/04/11 03:47 PM
01/04/11 03:47 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
The scene with Bonasera shows a certain conceit on Vito's part. Bonasera wasn't ready to accept the type of "godfather" relationship that his other petitioners had with him. Bonasera wanted to treat him as a hired gun. Obviously Vito wasn't going to let Bonasera use him that way. But, IMO, he reinforced his terms by demanding that Bonasera call him "godfather" ("you don't even think to call me Godfather...").

I agree TB with your perspective on Bonasera. However, I think it reveals alot about Vito. The main thing it reveals is that Vito was willing to to do anything necessary (even humiliating a longtime friend) to achieve whatever objective he had in mind (murder, of coure). Alot of Board members give Vito a pass, but I don't. He was a lowlife despite outward appearances.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: olivant] #589875
01/04/11 04:48 PM
01/04/11 04:48 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: olivant
Alot of Board members give Vito a pass, but I don't. He was a lowlife despite outward appearances.

So I guess you're more a fan of Michael then, or even Vincent. wink

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: olivant] #589879
01/04/11 05:32 PM
01/04/11 05:32 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

Alot of Board members give Vito a pass, but I don't. He was a lowlife despite outward appearances.

I agree ollie.

And I think (not making excuses, just an observation)that many give Vito a pass because of the way the writers cleverly portray Vito compared to the others.

We see Vito commit cold blooded murder when he gets revenge on Don Ciccio and co. And many accept and forgive his act of murder because, after all, Don Ciccio wiped out his whole family. But bottom line is that murder is murder. Sin is sin.

How many hard working families did Vito's "businesses" and actions destroy? We are never shown that! Instead we are shown a quiet, soft spoken man who rose from the streets helping poor widows, providing services and "justice" to those who were unfairly treated by the laws of the land.

Many are blinded by the fact that Vito was a cold blooded murderer, a leach, because they are instead shown a man who refuses to get into drugs, scolds his son for fooling around with another woman because a man who doesn't spend time with his family could never be a real man! Hey, this guy has morals! Won't get into the drug business or cheat on his wife, but at the same time he'll order the murder of another human being or destroy a hard working man's life and family with just the wave of his hand.

I know it is just a movie, but I must agree olivant. He is a lowlife criminal just like the rest of them.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Don Cardi] #589885
01/04/11 05:58 PM
01/04/11 05:58 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Vito is what you might call Affably Evil which is why the films work so well.

Winter is Coming

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Lilo] #589887
01/04/11 06:05 PM
01/04/11 06:05 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Let's fact it, Vito was romanticized. This is a man who ordered the beheading of an extremely valuable race horse because he didn't get his way. And, yet, who wasn't a little bit happy that Woltz was bested?? Not only is Vito portrayed as this kindly man doing favors for his friends, but his enemies were always arrogant buffoons (Woltz, Tattaglia, Fanucci).

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #589889
01/04/11 07:01 PM
01/04/11 07:01 PM
North America
Mr. Blonde Offline
Capo
Mr. Blonde  Offline
Capo
North America
Let's fact it, Vito was romanticized. This is a man who ordered the beheading of an extremely valuable race horse because he didn't get his way. And, yet, who wasn't a little bit happy that Woltz was bested?? Not only is Vito portrayed as this kindly man doing favors for his friends, but his enemies were always arrogant buffoons (Woltz, Tattaglia, Fanucci).

That is why the movies work with The Corelones as protaganists, conceptually awkward as it is. Not because the Corleones are noblemen, but because they are more noble than their enemies. Is a mouse smart? No. Is a mouse smarter than a snail? Yes. Spend two hours watching mice outsmart snails and you come away with the impression that mice are smart.

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Mr. Blonde] #589890
01/04/11 07:59 PM
01/04/11 07:59 PM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline OP
Underboss
Danito  Offline OP
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
So, who invented the term "Godfather" for this special kind of relationship?

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Don Cardi] #590307
01/09/11 08:02 PM
01/09/11 08:02 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

I agree ollie.

And I think (not making excuses, just an observation)that many give Vito a pass because of the way the writers cleverly portray Vito compared to the others.

We see Vito commit cold blooded murder when he gets revenge on Don Ciccio and co. And many accept and forgive his act of murder because, after all, Don Ciccio wiped out his whole family. But bottom line is that murder is murder. Sin is sin.

How many hard working families did Vito's "businesses" and actions destroy? We are never shown that! Instead we are shown a quiet, soft spoken man who rose from the streets helping poor widows, providing services and "justice" to those who were unfairly treated by the laws of the land.

Many are blinded by the fact that Vito was a cold blooded murderer, a leach, because they are instead shown a man who refuses to get into drugs, scolds his son for fooling around with another woman because a man who doesn't spend time with his family could never be a real man! Hey, this guy has morals! Won't get into the drug business or cheat on his wife, but at the same time he'll order the murder of another human being or destroy a hard working man's life and family with just the wave of his hand.

I know it is just a movie, but I must agree olivant. He is a lowlife criminal just like the rest of them.

i agree even though Vito was tame compared to other dons he was still a guy who would kill in order to make money or get something he wanted. Mike was the same way but he was even worse because he got the Macbeth syndrome all that power fucked up his mind and he became a psychopath. But all these guys are romanticized on the outside but on the inside are dark

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Danito] #590320
01/10/11 01:12 AM
01/10/11 01:12 AM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Originally Posted By: Danito
So, who invented the term "Godfather" for this special kind of relationship?

I know little of the real life Mafia, but I think Carlo Gambino was known as The Godfather.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #590345
01/10/11 12:05 PM
01/10/11 12:05 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss

interesting that you use the killing a horse as an example....thought you'd use the bandleader story as an unambiguous example of what Vito was about, but I guess you're an animal lover.

===================

About Bonsera, I think Vito was more upset that the funeral director pledged allegiance to the "system" rather than to Vito.
Vito thought, and was right to an extent, that the pezzo.s who ran the system were no different, and in fact hid behind the veneer of respectability , than the killers, thieves, extortionists who were the pezzos of HIS world.

One of the examples he uses is the "legit" pezzos exploiting the proletariat by sending THEIR children off to war to protect the interests of the pezzos. Several references to the benefits of pledging allegiance to Vito system and the pride he took in being able to employ all of his people during turbulent economic times in America when honest men(who pledged allegiance to the legit system had to take charity)

The Bonsera case....proletariat in the legal system against elite...Vito KNEW that the funeral director would be humiliated.

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: getthesenets] #590362
01/10/11 03:33 PM
01/10/11 03:33 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Lilo, I think that Vito was not upset, but meant to humiliate Bonasera because Vito took pleasure in doing so. Michael inherited some of that characteristic. Michael's getting Carlo to admit to his guilt was a form of what Vito made Bonasera do - call him Godfather.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: getthesenets] #590509
01/11/11 05:24 PM
01/11/11 05:24 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Originally Posted By: getthesenets

interesting that you use the killing a horse as an example....thought you'd use the bandleader story as an unambiguous example of what Vito was about, but I guess you're an animal lover.

Not really, but the band leader was also trying to take advantage of Johnny's fame and get rich while not paying Johnny very much. Plus, he was a human being, who could make his own decisions. Can't say the same for the horse. wink

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #590521
01/11/11 06:16 PM
01/11/11 06:16 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: getthesenets

Not really, but the band leader was also trying to take advantage of Johnny's fame and get rich while not paying Johnny very much. Plus, he was a human being, who could make his own decisions. Can't say the same for the horse. wink

You should have kept your mouth shut, they'd have thought you was a horse and let you out.

...ooops...sorry.....wrong movie.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Don Cardi] #590522
01/11/11 06:26 PM
01/11/11 06:26 PM
Stewartstown, PA
V
VitoC Offline
Capo
VitoC  Offline
V
Capo
Stewartstown, PA

Vito's killing of Don Ciccio was no more cold blooded than the government strapping someone to a chair and injecting a deadly substance into their arm. The latter only isn't "murder" because it's legal. And the prosecutors, judges, and juries who sentence people to death aren't people who were personally affected by the crime like Vito was by what Don Ciccio did. If I were Vito I'd have done the same thing.

Last edited by VitoC; 01/11/11 06:28 PM.

Let me tell ya somethin my kraut mick friend!
Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: VitoC] #590524
01/11/11 06:34 PM
01/11/11 06:34 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: VitoC

Vito's killing of Don Ciccio was no more cold blooded than the government strapping someone to a chair and injecting a deadly substance into their arm. The latter only isn't "murder" because it's legal. And the prosecutors, judges, and juries who sentence people to death aren't people who were personally affected by the crime like Vito was by what Don Ciccio did. If I were Vito I'd have done the same thing.

I think that you missed the point that I was trying to make in how the director and writer are cleverly able to make some in the movie look like outright cold blooded murderers and then make Vito look justified in his acts of murder, when in truth, they are all guilty of committing cold blooded murder.

And where, in my post did I ever justify death sentences by the government or any of the other pezzanovante? Besides,what in the world does that have to do with the topic at hand? confused

Don Cardi cool

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: Don Cardi] #590528
01/11/11 06:38 PM
01/11/11 06:38 PM
Stewartstown, PA
V
VitoC Offline
Capo
VitoC  Offline
V
Capo
Stewartstown, PA

I think that you missed the point that I was trying to make in how the director and writer are cleverly able to make some in the movie look like outright cold blooded murderers and then make Vito look justified in his acts of murder, when in truth, they are all guilty of committing cold blooded murder.

And where, in my post did I ever justify death sentences by the government or any of the other pezzanovante? Besides,what in the world does that have to do with the topic at hand? confused

It has to do with it because, in my experience, people who do a certain behavior who aren't pezzonovante are often condemned for it while those who are (prosecutors, governments, presidents. etc.) and do something similar are often not condemned. I don't believe moral judgments should be made based on whether someone is in a position of authority or not.

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: VitoC] #590529
01/11/11 06:46 PM
01/11/11 06:46 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
[quote=Don Cardi] We see Vito commit cold blooded murder when he gets revenge on Don Ciccio and co. And many accept and forgive his act of murder because, after all, Don Ciccio wiped out his whole family. But bottom line is that murder is murder. Sin is sin.

It has to do with it because, in my experience, people who do a certain behavior who aren't pezzonovante are often condemned for it while those who are (prosecutors, governments, presidents. etc.) and do something similar are often not condemned. I don't believe moral judgments should be made based on whether someone is in a position of authority or not.

Vito, your point is taken. And I am not in total disagreement with some of the things that you say and point out.

But I am speaking within the directing and writing of THE MOVIE itself and how that writers are able to portray characters that are ALL gangsters and murderers....but in different ways so that the popular ones, the ones that the writers and directors want us to root for, are made to be perceived in a different way than the unpopular ones. That's all. It was not meant to be a political debate of any kind.

Just a mere observation about the writing of the characters in THE MOVIE, that's all.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: VitoC] #590565
01/12/11 11:35 AM
01/12/11 11:35 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
[quote=Don Cardi] We see Vito commit cold blooded murder when he gets revenge on Don Ciccio and co. And many accept and forgive his act of murder because, after all, Don Ciccio wiped out his whole family. But bottom line is that murder is murder. Sin is sin.

Quote:

I'm sorry, but I can't let this pass. There is ZERO equivalency between Vito's murders of Don Ciccio and his henchmen and the execution of a convicted murderer by the government.

In the latter situation, our society has laws - created by elected representatives of the populace - designed to ensure the greatest possible good for the most possible people. There is a process in place, with disinterested parties making dispassionate decisions, and an appeals process designed to ensure fairness. I understand that, in practice, there are many problems with the system, but that's the theory behind it. You imply that executions should be carried out by individual members of the pezzenovante openly and with the support of society, despite the fact that this would have none of the admittedly inadequate safeguards of the current system.

Vito's murders in Sicily are pure vengeance. There is no benefit to society on any level. Even if there were, allowing individuals to make those choices with no checks or balances (other than others' individual powers) wil only serve to rend the fabric of society, whereas the legal system (in theory), solidifies it.

Incidentally, I am a strong opponent of capital punishment. But there's a huge difference between acts carried out within a well-established legal framework and vigilante actions. It's way too facile to say one is OK because it's "legal."

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: The Last Woltz] #590566
01/12/11 12:11 PM
01/12/11 12:11 PM
Stewartstown, PA
V
VitoC Offline
Capo
VitoC  Offline
V
Capo
Stewartstown, PA

Originally Posted By: The Last Woltz
I'm sorry, but I can't let this pass. There is ZERO equivalency between Vito's murders of Don Ciccio and his henchmen and the execution of a convicted murderer by the government.

In the latter situation, our society has laws - created by elected representatives of the populace - designed to ensure the greatest possible good for the most possible people. There is a process in place, with disinterested parties making dispassionate decisions, and an appeals process designed to ensure fairness. I understand that, in practice, there are many problems with the system, but that's the theory behind it. You imply that executions should be carried out by individual members of the pezzenovante openly and with the support of society, despite the fact that this would have none of the admittedly inadequate safeguards of the current system.

Vito's murders in Sicily are pure vengeance. There is no benefit to society on any level. Even if there were, allowing individuals to make those choices with no checks or balances (other than others' individual powers) wil only serve to rend the fabric of society, whereas the legal system (in theory), solidifies it.

Incidentally, I am a strong opponent of capital punishment. But there's a huge difference between acts carried out within a well-established legal framework and vigilante actions. It's way too facile to say one is OK because it's "legal."

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because I completely disagree with what you've said here. Yes, the killing of Don Ciccio was vengeance, but it was very arguably justified vengeance. How would you have liked having your entire family be murdered? And it's very hard to argue that capital punishment isn't just as vengeful, or that "society" derives any more benefit from the government executing people than it did (or would have, given that the Godfather movies weren't real life) from Vito killing Ciccio. As the example of Charles Manson shows, it is perfectly possible to remove a threat to society by keeping that person in prison for the rest of their life. Furthermore, it's difficult to sustain your argument that there's zero equivalency when law enforcement officials themselves state that one of the aims of the criminal justice system is "to punish" (this is what a professor of mine, who himself was a prosecutor and is now a judge, said in an introductory paralegal course)--not simply to protect society. I guess the difference between "punishment" and "vengeance" is similar to that between "freedom fighter" and "terrorist"--in either case, if one approves of the action, the first word is used to describe it, while if one doesn't, the second is used.

Last edited by VitoC; 01/12/11 12:19 PM.

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: VitoC] #590569
01/12/11 12:50 PM
01/12/11 12:50 PM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline OP
Underboss
Danito  Offline OP
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
VitoC, that's what we call the process of civilisation. People agree about the process of law and refrain from their ancient right of vengeance.
And maybe that's exactly the reason why we can see some justification in some of Vito Corleone's crimes. When he comes to New York, there's no reason for him to rely on law, police or judges. To him the rules of Little Italy were the same rules as as in Sicily: The strongest survive. He didn't intend to become a robber and a murderer. But when the law seems to be made for the rich only, what else can you do?
That's what we learn from the novel, and that's in a way what Vito says to Bonasera in the first scene: "There were courts of law. You didn't need a friend like me."
In the beginning of the 20th century the legal system was corrupt. Things changed a little in the 40s: "my father's way of doing things is over."

Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: VitoC] #590570
01/12/11 12:53 PM
01/12/11 12:53 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because I completely disagree with what you've said here. Yes, the killing of Don Ciccio was vengeance, but it was very arguably justified vengeance. How would you have liked having your entire family be murdered? And it's very hard to argue that capital punishment isn't just as vengeful, or that "society" derives any more benefit from the government executing people than it did (or would have, given that the Godfather movies weren't real life) from Vito killing Ciccio. As the example of Charles Manson shows, it is perfectly possible to remove a threat to society by keeping that person in prison for the rest of their life. Furthermore, it's difficult to sustain your argument that there's zero equivalency when law enforcement officials themselves state that one of the aims of the criminal justice system is "to punish" (this is what a professor of mine, who himself was a prosecutor and is now a judge, said in an introductory paralegal course)--not simply to protect society. I guess the difference between "punishment" and "vengeance" is similar to that between "freedom fighter" and "terrorist"--in either case, if one approves of the action, the first word is used to describe it, while if one doesn't, the second is used.

Fair enough.

Just to clarify, I am not saying that one is punishment and another is not. The distinction I am drawing is between an act carried out by an individual based on his own notions of justice compared to one carried out by within a system developed over centuries with the support of society.

I understand why Vito killed those men. I also understand why people support captal punishment. I approve of neither, but that doesn't mean they're morally equivalent. That lets Vito and the rest of the Mafia off far too easily.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Why "Godfather"? [Re: The Last Woltz] #590576
01/12/11 02:19 PM
01/12/11 02:19 PM
Stewartstown, PA
V
VitoC Offline
Capo
VitoC  Offline
V
Capo
Stewartstown, PA
Originally Posted By: The Last Woltz
Quote:

Fair enough.

Just to clarify, I am not saying that one is punishment and another is not. The distinction I am drawing is between an act carried out by an individual based on his own notions of justice compared to one carried out by within a system developed over centuries with the support of society.

I understand why Vito killed those men. I also understand why people support captal punishment. I approve of neither, but that doesn't mean they're morally equivalent. That lets Vito and the rest of the Mafia off far too easily.

I understand your reasoning, but I'm just not convinced that something of this sort done on the initiative of an individual is automatically morally worse than if it's done within a larger social system. After all, slavery was also "a system developed over centuries with the support of society."

And as I said before, if you believe capital punishment and a vigilante killing like what Vito did are both wrong, you could argue that the former is actually morally worse , not better, since it was done by people who weren't influenced by the emotional trauma of the crime, like the individual avenging his/her family was.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull