GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Mafia101, Malavita, Jimmy_Two_Times), 562 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,081
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,373
Posts1,059,537
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 43 of 47 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 46 47
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #591110
01/17/11 08:01 AM
01/17/11 08:01 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
Originally Posted By: Lilo
The Killer Inside Me

This is based on a Jim Thompson novel (aside- which I couldn't find at my local Borders mad and then they wonder why more people are just ordering books online) and is set in early fifties Texas. It was directed by Michael Winterbottom.
I thought it was a pretty repugnant artistically.

I wrote a review on my film blog.

Here are few paragraphs from that post:

The Killer Inside Me has been described as a “character study”, as can often be fashionable with films and stories of this type. Beware: it's fast becoming – if it wasn't already – an industry shorthand for broody, introspective non-commitment.

Writing for Film4, Catherine Bray notes, “Lou is a polite, rather dull man, leading a highly conventional life, and if it weren't for that fact that he commits some atrocious crimes, there would be very little point in making a film about him. If we accept this, then his violence is what legitimises him as a subject.”

This, apparently, is what might have drawn Winterbottom to the character. But Bray is right to go on: “Violence being the thrust of the film, what does The Killer Inside Me have to say about violence? Not as much as you might hope, is the answer.” The film is vacant of any moral or personal complexity. Its despairing tone is a result more of its sheer, stubborn hopelessness than its atmospheric rendering of a period Texas. A Kiss Me Deadly-style conclusion lends the work absurdity, but not a jot of seriousness.

That's why I wanted to read the book to see if the Kiss Me Deadly motif was really in the original story. What's your take on films like "Irreversible", "The Devil's Rejects", etc that seemingly lack a moral center?

Would you agree that part of the whole point of film noir is to have a certain level of hopelessness and ambiguous moral view?

Does a lack of moral complexity always harm a film in your view?

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #591132
01/17/11 03:03 PM
01/17/11 03:03 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Just saw "Salt" with Angelina Jolie. Not a big fan of the pucker-mouthed-matchstick one but I must admit it was a pretty good flick. LOTS of action. It was also left wide open for a sequel.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #591135
01/17/11 03:39 PM
01/17/11 03:39 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I watched In the Heat of the Night again last night. I am still amazed at Rod Steiger's performance. He certainly deserved Best Actor that year.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: Lilo] #591151
01/17/11 05:28 PM
01/17/11 05:28 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
The Killer Inside Me

This is based on a Jim Thompson novel (aside- which I couldn't find at my local Borders mad and then they wonder why more people are just ordering books online) and is set in early fifties Texas. It was directed by Michael Winterbottom.
I thought it was a pretty repugnant artistically.

I wrote a review on my film blog.

Here are few paragraphs from that post:

The Killer Inside Me has been described as a “character study”, as can often be fashionable with films and stories of this type. Beware: it's fast becoming – if it wasn't already – an industry shorthand for broody, introspective non-commitment.

Writing for Film4, Catherine Bray notes, “Lou is a polite, rather dull man, leading a highly conventional life, and if it weren't for that fact that he commits some atrocious crimes, there would be very little point in making a film about him. If we accept this, then his violence is what legitimises him as a subject.”

This, apparently, is what might have drawn Winterbottom to the character. But Bray is right to go on: “Violence being the thrust of the film, what does The Killer Inside Me have to say about violence? Not as much as you might hope, is the answer.” The film is vacant of any moral or personal complexity. Its despairing tone is a result more of its sheer, stubborn hopelessness than its atmospheric rendering of a period Texas. A Kiss Me Deadly-style conclusion lends the work absurdity, but not a jot of seriousness.

That's why I wanted to read the book to see if the Kiss Me Deadly motif was really in the original story. What's your take on films like "Irreversible", "The Devil's Rejects", etc that seemingly lack a moral center?

Would you agree that part of the whole point of film noir is to have a certain level of hopelessness and ambiguous moral view?

Does a lack of moral complexity always harm a film in your view?
I love Irreversible.

From my understanding, Thompson's novel is very much from the point of view of its protagonist, to the point where certain elements, even the violence, is presented in a biased, distorted fashion. That's completely lost in the film; Winterbottom's artistic immaturity can't take the film beyond flat.

I'm not sure if a lack of moral complexity necessarily always harms a film for me. I like serious films - that place themselves in the real world - to be complex insofar that life is complex.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #591152
01/17/11 05:30 PM
01/17/11 05:30 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Here's a few more paragraphs from that review that highlight my particular problems with the film.

No human – even one who kills “without motive” – is removed from material life. Winterbottom's protagonist (though Winterbottom would no doubt prefer us to say Thompson's protagonist) is confusingly portrayed, not because he kills apparently without motive, but because there's no real interest in the world he lives in. The central conflict between his public persona and hidden, internal persona is superficial, mannerist.

Casey Affleck utilises the same physical movements and facial expressions as he did so effectively in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, but in that film there was a careful examination of and investment in character. Here, Lou Ford remains a deliberate enigma – brief flashbacks to his childhood border on the ridiculous, banal; more often they are simply odd and distracting, as ultimately gratuitous as the shot of Jessica Alba's obliterated face.

In her Sight & Sound piece, Hannah McGill sparks up an interesting political element in the film. “The clash between Ford's public and private selves,” she writes, “could be read as a metaphor – say, for a nation state that smiles while covertly committing atrocities... Winterbottom acknowledges that if it had come together earlier, its sociopathic faux-bumpkin might have been read as a George W. Bush avatar.” That the film is set, however unwittingly (though that doesn't matter), at a time in history and a part of the world in which the former US president grew up enhances this reading.

But if Winterbottom acknowledges this interpretation, he ultimately denies it. For him, the “book and the film are about how fucked up people are everywhere and how people mess up and destroy their lives.” What a fine assessment of life! That he has no interest in accounting for Lou Ford's atrocious acts of violence is telling of this artist's preoccupations. Also, of his severe limits.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #591160
01/17/11 06:54 PM
01/17/11 06:54 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Hmm. I would have to read the book to know whether McGill's POV on that makes sense or not. People always adapt art to their own time and sensibilities. I would tend to think that the emptiness of Lou Ford is part of the whole point. Ford has no interest in the world he lives in short of seeking to fulfill his own "sick" "evil" needs. That's it. He can put on emotions the way other people put on clothes but they're never part of him.

I found the film similar to Devil's Rejects but different in that the director did not try to manipulate the audience into having any sympathy for the protagonists. There was another movie like that which comes to mind "Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer" which was also pretty empty at the core. I thought that was deliberate as well.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #591354
01/19/11 04:53 PM
01/19/11 04:53 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I watched Hancock last night. Hmmm. The premise was kind of goofy - an alcoholic superhero?. Then it got confusing. I still don't know how an invulnerable superhero devolved into a vulnerable, less than super hero. Then, a female superhero that he just happens to make a connection with. Coincidence? In any case, I'll watch it again tonight and maybe it'll make more sense.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #591916
01/24/11 01:23 AM
01/24/11 01:23 AM
Stewartstown, PA
V
VitoC Offline
Capo
VitoC  Offline
V
Capo
Stewartstown, PA
Just finished watching the premiere of "Mean Girls 2." At best, it's a pale shadow of its predecessor. It has none of the zip, none of the addictive, exuberant, alive feeling and great writing of the first one. On IMDB, I gave "Mean Girls" a 9 (out of 10) but "Mean Girls 2" only gets a 5.

Last edited by VitoC; 01/24/11 12:58 PM.

Let me tell ya somethin my kraut mick friend!
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: VitoC] #592681
01/30/11 03:06 PM
01/30/11 03:06 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I just watched "Training Day" for the first time yesterday on tv with Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke. Man, what a bad ass SOB Denzel was. eek I have not seen many of his movies, but like the ones I have seen. I've never seen him in this kind of role. He really made you hate his character that's for sure. I can see why he won his Oscar.

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 01/30/11 03:07 PM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #592706
01/30/11 09:45 PM
01/30/11 09:45 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Denzel was amazing in that role. I am a huge Denzel fan, and I not only hated him in that role, but found him terrifying. Ethan Hawke was very good, too. Although I believe Denzel's best acting was in "Glory", I think "Training Day" is the role that he will be remembered for.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: Sicilian Babe] #592873
02/01/11 05:07 PM
02/01/11 05:07 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
I watched 60 films last month, 53 of which were for the first time. 5 were at the cinema. If you want any thoughts on these, let me know...

The Man on the Train *****
Patrice Leconte 2002 France / UK / Germany / Japan DVD

Johnny Handsome *****
Walter Hill 1989 USA DVD

White Heaven in Hell *****
Yoshiyuki Kuroda 1974 Japan DVD

A Serious Man *****
Ethan & Joel Coen 2009 USA DVD

I Wouldn't Like to Be a Man *****
Ernst Lubitsch 1918 Germany DVD

Oliver Twist *****
David Lean 1948 UK TV REC.

127 Hours *****
Danny Boyle 2010 USA / UK CINEMA

Touching the Void *****
Kevin Macdonald 2003 UK TV REC.

The Quiet American *****
Phillip Noyce 2002 Germany / USA / UK / Australia / France TV REC.

FILM OF THE MONTH
The Red Shoes *****
Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger 1948 UK TV REC.

Katzelmacher *****
Rainer Werner Fassbinder 1969 West Germany DVD.

Love is Colder Than Death *****
Rainer Werner Fassbinder 1969 West Germany DVD

Rio das Mortes *****
Rainer Werner Fassbinder 1971 West Germany DVD

The Doll *****
Ernst Lubitsch 1919 Germany DVD

The Bourne Identity *****
Doug Liman 2002 USA / Germany / Czech Republic DVD REWATCH

The Sweet Hereafter *****
Atom Egoyan 1997 Canada DVD

The Oyster Princess *****
Ernst Lubitch 1919 Germany DVD

The Bourne Supremacy *****
Paul Greengrass 2004 USA / Germany DVD REWATCH

One Good Turn *****
James W. Horne 1931 USA DVD

Thicker Than Water *****
James W. Horne 1935 USA DVD

The Postman Always Rings Twice *****
Tay Garnett 1946 USA TV REC.

The King's Speech *****
Tom Hooper 2010 UK / Australia CINEMA

Passport to Pimlico *****
Henry Cornelius 1949 UK TV REC.

Sumurun *****
Ernst Lubitsch 1920 Germany DVD

The Bourne Ultimatum *****
Paul Greengrass 2007 USA / Germany DVD REWATCH

Beau Hunks *****

Tell No One *****
Guillaume Canet 2006 France DVD

I Can't Sleep *****
Guillaume Canet 2000 France DVD

Blue Valentine *****
Derek Cianfrance 2010 USA CINEMA

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid *****
George Roy Hill 1969 USA TV REC.

Love On the Dole *****
John Baxter 1941 UK TV REC.

The Asphalt Jungle *****
John Huston 1950 USA TV REC.

Catch Me If You Can *****
Steven Spielberg 2002 USA TV REC.

Our Wife *****

Helpmates *****
James Parrott 1931 USA DVD

Sweet Sixteen *****
Ken Loach 2002 UK TV REC.

Me and My Pal *****
Charley Rogers and Lloyd French 1933 USA DVD REWATCH

Brats *****
James Parrott 1930 USA DVD

Twice Two *****
James Parrott 1933 USA USA

The Laurel-Hardy Murder Case *****

Berth Marks *****
Lewis R. Foster 1929 USA DVD

Noche De Duendes *****

Oliver the Eighth *****[/sub][/size]
Lloyd French 1934 USA DVD

Black Swan *****
Darren Aronofsky 2010 USA CINEMA

As Unaccustomed As We Are *****
Lewis R. Foster & Hal Roach 1929 USA DVD

With Love and Hisses *****
Fred Guiol 1927 USA DVD

Duel in the Sun *****
King Vidor 1946 USA TV REC.

Chickens Come Home *****
James W. Horne 1933 USA DVD REWATCH

Come Clean *****

Spartacus *****
Stanley Kubrick 1960 USA TV REC.

The Lady Eve *****
Preston Sturges 1941 USA DVD

The Lavender Hill Mob *****
Charles Crichton 1951 UK TV REC.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit *****
Robert Zemeckis 1988 USA TV REC. REWATCH

The Philadelphia Story *****
George Cukor 1940 USA TV REC.

Biutiful *****
Alejandro González Iñárritu 2010 Spain / Mexico CINEMA

They Live By Night *****
Nicholas Ray 1949 USA TV REC.

Should Married Men Go Home? *****
Leo McCarey & James Parrott 1928 USA DVD

Love 'Em and Weep *****
Fred Guiol & F. Richard Jones 1927 USA DVD

Early to Bed *****
Emmett J. Flynn 1928 USA DVD

Carlito's Way *****
Brian De Palma 1993 USA DVD

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #592881
02/01/11 08:03 PM
02/01/11 08:03 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
[quote=Capo de La Cosa Nostra]I watched 60 films last month, 53 of which were for the first time. 5 were at the cinema. If you want any thoughts on these, let me know...[quote]

MammaMia (not the film) Average 2 a day. I don't even watch 2 a month. What was the most in one day? Did you miss any days? Has this done any damage to your cortex or, are you more vibrant, cogent, and lucid than before. Quite a feat Capo clap

The other night I watched one of my favorites "Jeremiah Johnson", (1972) starring Robert Redford, directed by Sydney Pollack. If you've never seen it, I recommend it for it's simplicity and cinematic beauty. Redford plays the part of a "mountain man". Someone who wants to leave the past and world behind by striking out into the American western wilderness and living a life close to nature. But the Indians and "white man" provide conflict for his serene, simple life-style.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #592902
02/02/11 06:00 AM
02/02/11 06:00 AM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
I began watching films on the 3rd Jan and didn't watch any on the 20th, 21st or 31st. I watched four films on the 29th, but three of those were Laurel and Hardy two-reelers; I watched three features - Lavender Hill Mob, Roger Rabbit and The Philadelphia Story - on the 27th.

I feel pretty articulate; the more films I see the more I want to see. It's contagious.

I guess I can think of worse ways of spending one's time. smile

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #592908
02/02/11 09:06 AM
02/02/11 09:06 AM
V
VinnyGorgeous Offline
BANNED
VinnyGorgeous  Offline
BANNED
V
Underboss
I watched 60 films last month, 53 of which were for the first time.

Do you work?

"What is given, can be taken away. Everyone lies. Everyone dies." - Casey Anthony, in a poem, July 7, 2008
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: VinnyGorgeous] #592923
02/02/11 12:02 PM
02/02/11 12:02 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: VinnyGorgeous
I watched 60 films last month, 53 of which were for the first time.

Do you work?

lol

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #592925
02/02/11 12:08 PM
02/02/11 12:08 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Yeah, I work.

Two films a day isn't much really, considering the amount of time people will waste flicking the channels on the TV; or browsing the Internet, and so on.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #592933
02/02/11 02:34 PM
02/02/11 02:34 PM
California

California
That's quite a list Capo. Many of those films I have not seen. Some classics (ie Butch Cassidy & The Postman Always Rings Twice). HBO has aired "A Serious Man" a number of times, but for some reason it's never interested me enough to watch it.

I see, however, you saw all three Bourne movies and rated them all the same. I assume you enjoyed them. I love that series. smile

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #592947
02/02/11 03:43 PM
02/02/11 03:43 PM
V
VinnyGorgeous Offline
BANNED
VinnyGorgeous  Offline
BANNED
V
Underboss
I did see The Postman Always Rings Twice. Nicholson really knows how to give it to a woman. Fantastic movie.

"What is given, can be taken away. Everyone lies. Everyone dies." - Casey Anthony, in a poem, July 7, 2008
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: VinnyGorgeous] #592959
02/02/11 04:59 PM
02/02/11 04:59 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
I did see The Postman Always Rings Twice. Nicholson really knows how to give it to a woman. Fantastic movie.
I didn't see that version, I saw the 1946 adaptation with John Garfield and Lana Turner.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #592960
02/02/11 05:01 PM
02/02/11 05:01 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
That's quite a list Capo. Many of those films I have not seen. Some classics (ie Butch Cassidy & The Postman Always Rings Twice). HBO has aired "A Serious Man" a number of times, but for some reason it's never interested me enough to watch it.

I see, however, you saw all three Bourne movies and rated them all the same. I assume you enjoyed them. I love that series. smile

TIS
Yeah, they're all great. The first one is the best, I think.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #592993
02/03/11 01:29 AM
02/03/11 01:29 AM
V
VinnyGorgeous Offline
BANNED
VinnyGorgeous  Offline
BANNED
V
Underboss
I really loved A Serious Man. A lot of people complain how slow it is and how very little happen, but imo, those people just didn't get the movie. To me it was absolutely brilliant. We all want to know the answers to everything, think everything happens for a reason, when in reality things don't happen for a reason.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #595089
02/21/11 11:03 PM
02/21/11 11:03 PM
V
VinnyGorgeous Offline
BANNED
VinnyGorgeous  Offline
BANNED
V
Underboss
Just watched Black Swan and I was impressed. Brilliant film making. It should win for cinematography and direction. Portman is also fantastic.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: VinnyGorgeous] #595544
02/25/11 04:17 PM
02/25/11 04:17 PM
California

California
I just finished watching "The Social Network" on "On Demand." The only Oscar nominated film I've seen. ohwell

It was interesting, the cast (all of whom I never heard of except Justin Timberlake) were all very good as well.

Not being a regular user of FB, I've heard bits pieces of Zuckerberg's story, like issue with the Winklevoss twins, so that and other gaps were filled in. Whether it's true in reality or not, I had read that Zuckerberg's character was not very likable and the film certainly portrayed him that way. In the very first scene Mark's girlfriend is breaking up with him telling him, "Dating you is like dating a stair master." lol

This movie is probably the "first" of it's kind depicting the landmark "Technology" boom that we are experiencing today. In that regard I think it will be historic.

Oh, and nice touch playing "Baby You're A Rich Man" during the ending credits as well. smile

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 02/25/11 04:19 PM.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #595548
02/25/11 05:07 PM
02/25/11 05:07 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I just finished watching "The Social Network" on "On Demand." The only Oscar nominated film I've seen. ohwell
TIS

Check out Winter's Bone

Winter is Coming

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #595558
02/25/11 07:45 PM
02/25/11 07:45 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
We saw "Toy Story 3". As my daughter predicted, I cried like a little girl. Loved it.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: VinnyGorgeous] #595720
02/27/11 02:07 PM
02/27/11 02:07 PM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
I really loved A Serious Man. A lot of people complain how slow it is and how very little happen, but imo, those people just didn't get the movie. To me it was absolutely brilliant. We all want to know the answers to everything, think everything happens for a reason, when in reality things don't happen for a reason.

I just watched it last night and it was the first Coen Brothers movie I've ever watched and not loved right away. I was kinda stoned and almost falling asleep in the beginning though, had to get up and turn the lights on but the movie didn't keep me all that up. it is slow, but that's not necesarialy a problem. I'll definitely watch it again and all odds are that I'll love it once I really get into it. I just know I didn't get it, like you say... I absolutely loved "Burn After Reading" which is somewhat similar to this one: "small" movie with a lot of thing happening for no reason.

SIDE NOTE: watched "Inglourious Basterds" again on friday, and I have to repeat what I first posted in these boards when I first watched it: if you at least don't get somewhat amused with this film, you have a serious problem, my friend. even my ex-girlfriend who's a "Twilight" series die-hard fan liked it when we watched in the movies.

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #595878
02/28/11 09:19 AM
02/28/11 09:19 AM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Haha, I would think Twilight fans would be natural lovers of Inglorious Basterds. tongue

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #595967
02/28/11 09:02 PM
02/28/11 09:02 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
My film watching last month...

FEBRUARY
31 films | 27 first viewings | 5 at the cinema

Intolerable Cruelty *****
Ethan & Joel Coen 2003 USA DVD

The Trial of the Incredible Hulk *****
Bill Bixby 1989 USA DVD REWATCH

Brighton Rock *****
Rowan Joffe 2010 UK CINEMA

20 Fingers *****
Mania Akbari 2004 Iran TV REC.

The Circle *****
Jafar Panahi 2000 Iran TV REC.

Gods of the Plague *****
Rainer Werner Fassbinder 1970 West Germany DVD

Rabbit Hole *****
John Cameron Mitchell 2010 USA CINEMA

True Grit *****
Ethan & Joel Coen 2010 USA CINEMA

28 Days Later... *****
Danny Boyle 2002 UK DVD

The Fighter *****
David O. Russell 2010 USA CINEMA

Sunshine *****
Danny Boyle 2007 UK / USA DVD

FILM OF THE MONTH
Don *****
Abolfazl Jalili 1998 Iran TV REC.

An American in Paris *****
Vincente Minnelli 1951 USA TV REC.

In Which We Serve *****
David Lean & Noel Coward 1942 USA TV REC.

Sugar Daddies *****
Fred R. Guiol & Leo McCarey 1927 USA DVD

Politiquerias *****

On the Loose *****
Hal Roach 1931 USA DVD

That's My Wife *****
Lloyd French 1929 USA DVD

Along Came Auntie *****
Fred R. Guiol & Richard Wallace 1926 USA DVD

Flowers and Trees *****
Burton Gillett 1932 USA STREAM

Brave New World *****
Leslie Libman & Larry Williams 1998 USA TV REC.

Laughing Gravy [2-REEL] *****
James W. Horne 1931 USA DVD REWATCH

Slipping Wives *****
Fred R. Guiol 1927 USA DVD

The Fixer Uppers *****
Charley Rogers 1935 USA DVD

Les Carottiers *****
James W. Horne & James Parrott 1931 USA DVD

Laughing Gravy [3-REEL] *****

My Favorite Wife *****
Garson Kanin 1940 USA TV REC.

Witness *****
Peter Weir 1985 USA TV REC. REWATCH

Animal Kingdom *****
David Michôd 2010 Australia CINEMA

Never Let Me Go *****
Mark Romanek 2010 UK / USA DOWNLOAD

Inception *****
Christopher Nolan 2010 USA / UK DVD REWATCH

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #596350
03/05/11 01:04 PM
03/05/11 01:04 PM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
Haha, I would think Twilight fans would be natural lovers of Inglorious Basterds. tongue

lol

mostly, if a person is able to enjoy "Twilight", that means she is absolutely unable of appreciating other pieces of art that have something good to it.

also I just re-read your thoughts on "Basterds" and it seems you have much more of them than I do. I couldn't come up with that many flaws even if I'd took Roger Ebert's diss class. also I think someone's feelings towards this kind of movie reflect something about this one's guy approach to life. I just like to sit and watch that nonsense and I don't care what the fuck Tarantino stands for. it just amuses the hell out of me.

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part II [Re: J Geoff] #597888
03/19/11 09:38 AM
03/19/11 09:38 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
I finally went to see 'The King's Speech' yesterday.

Great movie and Colin Firth completely earned his Best Actor Oscar.

It was also quite amazing to come home & play King George VI's actual 1939 speech to the British people, after having seen Firth's re-enactment in the movie.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Page 43 of 47 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull