GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (RushStreet, 1 invisible), 268 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,886
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,325
Posts1,058,642
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . #579889
08/26/10 12:41 PM
08/26/10 12:41 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Do you think Tony would have killed him anyway?

I see no upside to the murder.

Ralphie, scumbag that he was, was a tremendous earner, and never showed the slightest inclination towards becoming a rat. And with Carmela constantly nagging Tony about money, I think he would have kept Ralphie around for awhile.

So if Ralphie just stood there and denied doing an the insurance job on Pie-O-My, and didn't raise his hands to Tony, do you think Tony would have killed him anyway?

Did he go over there with Ralphie's fate sealed, or was it truly spur-of-the-moment?

Anyone?

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . [Re: pizzaboy] #579893
08/26/10 12:54 PM
08/26/10 12:54 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I think Ralphie's fate was sealed from the moment he killed the stripper and Tony was just looking for an excuse. I think at that moment anything Ralphie did or said would have just been seized upon as justification. Even if he had done the human equivalent of a dog rolling on its back and baring its neck in submission, he was done.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . [Re: Lilo] #579895
08/26/10 01:12 PM
08/26/10 01:12 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
I think that Tony was at least going to give Ralphie a stern confontation - maybe shove him around a little and provoke a minor altercation. With Ralphie all but admitting to setting the fire and constant insubordination, Tony was then going to give him a beating. When Ralphie fought back aggressively and sprayed the bug spay in Tony's eyes - that was it. Tony completey lost it and that sealed Ralphie's fate.

Re: If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . [Re: Mark] #579915
08/26/10 03:42 PM
08/26/10 03:42 PM
R'lyeh
Lovecraft Offline
Made Member
Lovecraft  Offline
Made Member
R'lyeh
Originally Posted By: Lilo
I think Ralphie's fate was sealed from the moment he killed the stripper and Tony was just looking for an excuse. I think at that moment anything Ralphie did or said would have just been seized upon as justification. Even if he had done the human equivalent of a dog rolling on its back and baring its neck in submission, he was done.

I agree. Tony was just itching to put Ralph down. After the confrontation between the two after the discovery of the strippers body behind the bing, Ralph was living on borrowed time.

Originally Posted By: Mark
With Ralphie all but admitting to setting the fire

Alot of folks, including my girlfriend, feel as if Ralph did admit to setting the fire, but I never bought it. It could have been Ralph, but the way that Joe Pantoliano delivers he line "but so what if I did?" (or something along those lines) in reference to whether or not he set the fire was always interpreted by me not as an admitance of guilt but as an act of defiance. Ralphs rationality being that even if he did set the fire (which for arguements sake lets say he didn't) he couldnt be touched for doing so because Pie-o-My's death earned them both money, something Ralph was very good at doing.

Re: If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . [Re: Lovecraft] #580033
08/28/10 02:58 PM
08/28/10 02:58 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
In "University", when Tony hits Ralphie behind the Bing!, it's not because he's killed Tracee but because he casually shrugs it off as just another by-product of This Thing Of Ours: "It's my fault she's a klutz?" In "Whoever Did This", the moment at which Tony hits Ralphie is after the latter questions Tony's emotional investment in an animal, referring to the fact he eats "beef and sausage by the fucking car load".

Both times, Tony lashes out in response to being faced with his own moral contradictions and having them exposed. That the first of these scenes happens in front of others and that the second scene is private shows that it's not about 'saving face' for Tony, it's something much more simple and childlike. When forced to face his own emotional immaturity, he turns to violence. We see him do it time and time again with Melfi whenever she approaches anything resembling 'progress' in Tony's therapy.

Ralphie is a hoodlum in extremis; worse than merely a loose cannon, he's rational with it. He's very clever, and it's a great, intelligent performance by Joe Pantoliano.

Tony is a highly dysfunctional, self-destructive character; he kills Christopher too without much calculation. In the Season 6B episode "Remember When", he also tries to force Paulie into admitting to something he already knows but doesn't care about (the Ginny Sack joke), so that he can justify killing Paulie for becoming too porous under pressure - an increasing worry with the FBI chasing would-be informants - but when Tony sees the scenario through and has to finally deal with his own irrationality, he settles for a babyish compromise: he violently throws a bottle at Paulie for him to catch - you can liken that sort of reaction to when he punches the wall in "Whitecaps" when Carmela tells him of her fantasising over Furio.

I don't think Ralphie was 'living on borrowed time' anymore than anybody else living on Tony's periphery, and I don't think the reason for this 'borrowed time' is anything to do with Tony's moral logic. The ambiguity as to who Tony is referring to when choking Ralphie to death and saying, "She was a beautiful little creature, what did she ever do to you? You fucking killed her," is telling: Tracee or Pie-O-My? Does it even matter when the reasoning is so irrational anyway?

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #580086
08/29/10 05:46 PM
08/29/10 05:46 PM
T
Tyler_Durden Offline
Made Member
Tyler_Durden  Offline
T
Made Member
Great insight Capo de La Cosa Nostra.

I feel that,given Tony's downward spiral in the second part of season 2,if the show had continued,it was only a matter of time before "getting clipped for wearing the wrong shoes" as Albert Barese put it would have become a strong possibility.

Re: If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #580178
08/31/10 04:05 PM
08/31/10 04:05 PM
R'lyeh
Lovecraft Offline
Made Member
Lovecraft  Offline
Made Member
R'lyeh
Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

I don't think Ralphie was 'living on borrowed time' anymore than anybody else living on Tony's periphery, and I don't think the reason for this 'borrowed time' is anything to do with Tony's moral logic.

Though I agree with most of what you say here, you have to remember that Tony hated Ralphie, and therefor was in more danger of getting whacked than anyone else.

Re: If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . [Re: Lovecraft] #580180
08/31/10 04:18 PM
08/31/10 04:18 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
I actually don't think he hated him any more than he did anybody else at any point in the show. And by the point of "Whoever Did This", the "University" thing is dead and buried, mostly due to Ralphie progressing to Tony's highest earner. Money speaks.

Re: If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #580200
09/01/10 12:38 PM
09/01/10 12:38 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I agree with Mick.

I think that Tony---due to his childlike temper---was capable of killing anyone in his criminal life on the spur of the moment. I think that Ralphie was at the point where, due to his son's condtion at the time, wasn't going to lay down to one of Tony's tantrums. And if he didn't have Justin weighing on his mind, he probably wouldn't have even argued the point with Tony. But he was full of remorse over his son and just didn't give a shit anymore. And it cost him his life.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . [Re: pizzaboy] #580449
09/06/10 10:44 AM
09/06/10 10:44 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
I agree with Lilo. Once he had killed the stripper Ralphies' days were numbered!

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #580459
09/06/10 01:30 PM
09/06/10 01:30 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
If you re-watch the final two episodes of Season Three, even by that point the whole Tracee thing is water under the bridge. Ralphie tells Jackie Jr. that years back he was part of the quartet that included Tony, Silvio and Jackie Aprile, Sr. Though he's new on the scene as a character in Season Three, Ralphie and Tony have a history. I doubt that would all go to waste over a girl who was quite expendable to both of them.

Tracee's murder is only the catalyst by which Tony finally lashes out at Ralphie after the latter has been pushing buttons with his generally irritating behaviour. For Tony, it's more of a legal worry than a moral issue - a dead body on Bada Bing! grounds ("You disrespect this place") is a major inconvenience to him. That's how these guys think.

Tony never hates Ralphie for killing Tracee; in the same episode in which Tracee is killed, Tony's own indifference to her existence is quite obvious. Tony's disdain for Ralphie in the episodes following "University" is much more childish: it's because he doesn't want to lose face after having hit Ralphie, a made guy, in front of others; it's because he doesn't want to concede that he was wrong to do so; finally, it's simply because Ralphie refused a drink Tony offered him in symbolic apology.

Tony's 'disdain' for Ralphie is just plain stubbornness - it's often what makes him a respected, feared leader, but it's also what makes him an asshole.

By the end of Season Three, Tony is favouring Ralphie over Paulie in sit-downs. The whole shock of Ralphie's murder in "Whoever Did This" comes from the very notion that Ralphie's days were not numbered.

Re: If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #580494
09/07/10 10:07 AM
09/07/10 10:07 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Good points Mick but the real reason Tony killed Ralphie was because it was in the script.....so he had to do it blush

Last edited by Yogi Barrabbas; 09/07/10 10:09 AM.

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #580544
09/07/10 04:50 PM
09/07/10 04:50 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Haha, yes, I suppose so.

Re: If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #580659
09/08/10 03:36 PM
09/08/10 03:36 PM
R'lyeh
Lovecraft Offline
Made Member
Lovecraft  Offline
Made Member
R'lyeh
Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
Good points Mick but the real reason Tony killed Ralphie was because it was in the script.....so he had to do it blush

crazy

Re: If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . [Re: Lovecraft] #580664
09/08/10 04:48 PM
09/08/10 04:48 PM
Chicago Underworld
Frank_Nitti Offline
"The Enforcer"
Frank_Nitti  Offline
"The Enforcer"
Underboss
Chicago Underworld
Tony was obviously close to Pie-o-My. (I love that scene in the barn where Tony just sits with the horse and a couple of the farm animals as Dean Martin's "My Rifle My Pony And Me" plays in the background.) But I think Capo's right: ultimately, Tony's reasons for killing Ralphie were simply an extension of his erratic, irrational sociopathic personality.

Last edited by Frank_Nitti; 09/08/10 04:49 PM.
Re: If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . [Re: Frank_Nitti] #583390
10/17/10 05:48 PM
10/17/10 05:48 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
I watched this episode again earlier today. When Christopher arrives at Ralphie's place, Tony immediately denies killing Ralphie himself and - knowing fine well the transparency of his argument - tries to preach to Christopher, not rationally, about how much of an asshole Ralphie was.

He knows it's an absolute irrational act on his part and that Christopher rightfully sees it that way.

Re: If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #583425
10/18/10 10:07 AM
10/18/10 10:07 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
When Christopher arrives at Ralphie's place, Tony immediately denies killing Ralphie himself and - knowing fine well the transparency of his argument - tries to preach to Christopher, not rationally, about how much of an asshole Ralphie was.

I've always felt that scene mirrored the scene in "The Knight in White Satin Armor," where Christopher helps dispose of Richie's body.

Re: If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . [Re: pizzaboy] #583552
10/19/10 03:17 PM
10/19/10 03:17 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
"Whoever Did This" is a great episode, and it - like many of his scenes in general - belongs to Joe Pantoliano. He's dead for the episode's second half of course - though even posthumously the wig gag is a hoot - but before then we get to see the full range of his acting. Calling Paulie's mother, the desperation of his face as he runs to call 911 for Justin (that tracking shot is brilliant!), his reconciliation with Rosalie, and his final scene... He's one of my favourite characters in the show.

Narratively, it's a somewhat contrived set-up having Ralphie prank-call Nucci then have his son hospitalised then having Tony tell him of Valentina then having him accused of something (I'm convinced) he didn't even do and then of course, killed. It's contrived because it's obviously meant to create both a moral ambivalence in the viewer toward Ralphie, and also with the emphasis on Justin's accident nobody expects him to be murdered by Tony.

Saying that, it's strengths lie in the editing, directing and acting, as ever. Two seemingly insignificant shots forewarn us early on of two major scenes later in the same episode. The first of these sees Ralphie lying in the bath when the maid frantically tells him of Justin's accident - his impatience with her suggests he'd much rather bathe in peace than be disturbed by her, regardless of the immediacy in her voice; as it turns out, absurd irony sees Ralphie's corpse chopped up in that very bath. The second scene is when Tony physically restrains Ralph in the hospital after the latter tussles briefly with his Justin's mother and her husband; Tony is both the literal and physical voice of reason here - later, in Ralphie's kitchen, he's the absolute loose cannon that takes a life without much thought or regret.

Re: If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #583572
10/19/10 08:45 PM
10/19/10 08:45 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

then having him accused of something (I'm convinced) he didn't even do

You don't think Ralphie was responsible for torching the barn, Mick?

Re: If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . [Re: pizzaboy] #584063
10/25/10 01:45 AM
10/25/10 01:45 AM
Wellington, New Zealand
veneratio Offline
Sicilian Paisan
veneratio  Offline
Sicilian Paisan
Capo
Wellington, New Zealand
I don't know if Tony would have killed Ralphie purely due to the Tracee scenario. I think without doubt Tony was disgusted by the act and wouldn't have cared too much if Ralph were to pass naturally...
I genuinely think it was Tony's love for animals (and in particular Pie-o-my) and Tony's manic depressive rage that killed Ralphie.
It was clear Tony disliked Ralphie but I think if almost anyone had killed Pie-o-my (hurt an animal for money) for insurance money and also caught Tony in a manic depressive/rage state/mood, they more than likely would have faced the same fate. How many times did we see Georgie the barkeep copp it for little annoyances?
Tony's bad moods = danger for anyone in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"Just when I thought I was out.. They pull me back in"
Re: If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . [Re: veneratio] #584714
11/01/10 09:49 PM
11/01/10 09:49 PM

J
Jk987
Unregistered
Jk987
J
Unregistered

I think he would have been killed anyway. His fate was sealed as soon as Tony went to go see him. I dont think Tony initially had that intention. But deep down, he knew he was going to kill Ralphie.

Re: If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . [Re: ] #584735
11/02/10 08:10 AM
11/02/10 08:10 AM
Comprende Offline
Associate
Comprende  Offline
Associate
I seriously think it was a "heat of the moment" thing. Obviously Tony hated Ralphie, But I doubt he had plans on taking him out. Ralphies smart mouth sealed his fate.

Re: If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . [Re: Comprende] #584736
11/02/10 08:42 AM
11/02/10 08:42 AM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
I think that is right on. Plus Tony's compassion for animals throughout the series is well noted. Melfi even points out that Tony has shed tears for animals but not for humans.

Re: If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . [Re: Mark] #584767
11/02/10 12:42 PM
11/02/10 12:42 PM

J
Jk987
Unregistered
Jk987
J
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Mark
I think that is right on. Plus Tony's compassion for animals throughout the series is well noted. Melfi even points out that Tony has shed tears for animals but not for humans.
Exactly. And that plays a significant role throughout the series. And this specific event just proves that.

Re: If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . [Re: ] #584812
11/03/10 12:35 AM
11/03/10 12:35 AM
Wellington, New Zealand
veneratio Offline
Sicilian Paisan
veneratio  Offline
Sicilian Paisan
Capo
Wellington, New Zealand
I 100% agree.

"Just when I thought I was out.. They pull me back in"
Re: If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . [Re: pizzaboy] #591923
01/24/11 04:50 AM
01/24/11 04:50 AM
V
VinnyGorgeous Offline
BANNED
VinnyGorgeous  Offline
BANNED
V
Underboss
I always felt it was a spur of the moment thing. Tony wasn't sure, but then Ralphie grew tired of the inquiries and started taunting him. Next thing you knew they were fighting and that was it. But this murder bothered me more than any of the other killings in that show. Not because of the brutality or anything like that, but because of losing this character. Ralph Cifaretto was to me, the most interesting guy on that show.

"What is given, can be taken away. Everyone lies. Everyone dies." - Casey Anthony, in a poem, July 7, 2008
Re: If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . [Re: VinnyGorgeous] #591980
01/24/11 02:36 PM
01/24/11 02:36 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: VinnyGorgeous
Ralph Cifaretto was to me, the most interesting guy on that show.

I agree. You may have detested the character, but you definitely missed him after he was gone.

Re: If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . [Re: pizzaboy] #592029
01/24/11 05:17 PM
01/24/11 05:17 PM
V
VinnyGorgeous Offline
BANNED
VinnyGorgeous  Offline
BANNED
V
Underboss
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

I agree. You may have detested the character, but you definitely missed him after he was gone.

Ralphie: Mrs. Marianucci Gualtieiri?
Nucci: Yes?
Ralphie: Hi, this is Detective Mike Hunt, Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania police department. Do you have a son Peter Paul?
Nucci: Oh, my God! What happened?
Ralphie: He's all right, ma'am, but I'm afraid he's in a little trouble. We found him in a public men's room in Lafayette Park. Ahhh ma'am, I don't know how to put this delicately...he was sucking on a cub scout's dick!
Nucci: What? No, it's a mistake.
Ralphie: Ma'am, I wish that was all, but, uh, we also had to have emergency surgery performed upon arrival at headquarters, after discovery of a small rodent in the rectal passage.
Nucci: OH, MY GOD!

Thinking about that scene makes me miss him too damn much. Shame on the producers for killing him.

Last edited by VinnyGorgeous; 01/24/11 05:19 PM.

"What is given, can be taken away. Everyone lies. Everyone dies." - Casey Anthony, in a poem, July 7, 2008
Re: If Ralphie Didn't Fight Back . . . . [Re: VinnyGorgeous] #592112
01/25/11 03:59 AM
01/25/11 03:59 AM
T
Tyler_Durden Offline
Made Member
Tyler_Durden  Offline
T
Made Member
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Ralphie: Mrs. Marianucci Gualtieiri?
Nucci: Yes?
Ralphie: Hi, this is Detective Mike Hunt, Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania police department. Do you have a son Peter Paul?
Nucci: Oh, my God! What happened?
Ralphie: He's all right, ma'am, but I'm afraid he's in a little trouble. We found him in a public men's room in Lafayette Park. Ahhh ma'am, I don't know how to put this delicately...he was sucking on a cub scout's dick!
Nucci: What? No, it's a mistake.
Ralphie: Ma'am, I wish that was all, but, uh, we also had to have emergency surgery performed upon arrival at headquarters, after discovery of a small rodent in the rectal passage.
Nucci: OH, MY GOD!

A gerbil ma'am...
lol

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull