GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 81 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,657
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,183
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,389
Posts1,059,897
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 #572137
04/18/10 04:17 AM
04/18/10 04:17 AM
Australia
M
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica Offline OP
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica  Offline OP
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
So this is a definite Opinion Piece. Many wont agree with my interpretation of the storylines. Many will refuse my opinions. What ever. It is though, long & a little rambly. Consider yourself warned.

IN DEFENSE OF AN OVERLOOKED CLASSIC

"The price you pay for the life you choose"

"From this day on, call yourself Vincent Corleone"

Foxtel has just finished showing the Godfather Part III, the culmination of a three week
advertising spiel that saw the classic films being shown every Saturday night for three
weeks in a row. Incidentally, these last three Saturday nights in a row have seen me stay
home. And once more after watching the final installment, I have something to say to all.
I love GF3. Love it. Seroiusly, if im drunk enough, certain scenes can make me cry.
Reckon 3 is a piece 'a shit, eh? Bugger you sideways. GF3 is awesome.

We can expound all we want on how overblown the script was, how elementary the plot,
and as always, bash on poor Sophia Coppola. The thing is though, 3 cops the most of its
shit by being held up against 1 & 2. No doubt it's the weakest of the three by far, but
the first two are literal materpieces of the genre! Shit, of the film medium!

Now this is 26 years after them; things change. It cant be the same. It's the epilogue to
the Corleone Family saga, and sadly, things dont always end they way the we'd like.
That being said, its still better than 90% of films ever made. The acting chops are
well present & abundant, Pacino, Shire, Garcia & so many other unsung masters. Great
cinematography, & locations, a true work of art. There's a reason it was nominated for a
bunch of Oscars. But because it has to cap off what was such an enticing story until
then, & does it on such a definite downer, shoving the consequences of Michaels life of
crime in our faces, people say, "thats shit". Well, they're shit. GF3 rules.

Sure number 3 has its faults & sure they're many compared to 1 & 2, but is it not the
natural progression? Why cant it be a little over the top & pretentious? Why cant
Michael Corleone conduct shady business with the Vatican & international conglomerates?
Why not a helicopter hit on the entire Comission at the same time?

He's not dealing with the likes of Pentangeli & the Rosato brothers anymore, no more
Hyman Roth & Johhny Ola's, no Vincent "The Turk' Sollozzo.
These are millionare's with a Gotti attitude gangsters.
I think that Joe Mantegna did a great job of the celebrity gangster, the foppish, cocksure
, sleazy mobster with a ruthless streak, & infact prefer a "new" face like Joey ZaZa's
as opposed to Willie Cicci or some other old hand portraying the new threat.
Also, it's a movie (quite the movie); Michaels business is on a much higher level these
days; consequently, so are his threats. Duh. Let it be over the top. GF3 rules.

What do i mean about it being the natural progression? Part I saw the twilight of the
great Don Vito, the tragic events that led to Michael being forced to step up as the
Godfather, he has to, ofcourse, to "protect his family".

2 saw Don Michael, now firmly confident in his birthright, moving up onto bigger &
better things, but still being dogged by the family history. But Michael, ever his
fathers son, manage's to again settle all accounts & tie of all loose ends, consolidating his
power & influence to make that leap into another kind of respectablity. But still, his
underworld success does not translate into his personal life, which suffers accordingly
& costs him dearly in so many ways; the loss of his wife, his brotherly guilt. Still,
his power at this stage is (almost) absolute.

And by 3, Don Michael Corleone, now approaching his own twilight, is nearly there,
finally within reach of where he's always been trying to get. But of course, "Just when
he thought he was out, they pull him back in". And Michael is now far removed from the
regular gangsters his enemies once were, stakes are much higher these days, with the
Palermo Families & the Vatican itself entwined in the intrigues.
Luckily of course, Michael is not without his friends & his own power; a staunchly loyal
nephew & inner circle. Good old Al Neri is still there, right alongside Michael, his
most reliable soldier, his own Luca Brasi. His sister Connie, grown into her brothers most
dedicated supporter, the family "glue", who work's in shadows towards Family interests.

After so much betrayal & shifting loyalties Michael prevails, again settling all accounts in
one deft stroke, a crescendo set against the stirring performance of "Cavaleria Rusticania",
some riveting scenes in any case.
But despite it all, despite the victories, a final bullet meant for him hits his
daughter, & from the way the Dons face tranforms during his tortured howl,
the cadaverous, partly insane, finally beaten expression, we learn, along with everyone
else, exactly what was most important in his life.

And finally, we witness the great Don Corleone, now elderly & infirmed, reflecting on it
all; he dies alone, a dog sniffing around his corpse. Was it worth it? Was the life
he chose worth the price? Regardless of how you feel about it, what better way to end the
saga of Michael Corleone & his family? His father died surrounded by loved ones, but
similar choices made by Michael have in the end brought him nothing but pain & loss.
Times had changed, & his birthright became his burden. Arrgh, GF3 frickin' rules.

And though Michael is the primary character, do not the others also fit the progression?
Connie, far removed from a jet-setting party girl, even further from the "spoiled ginny
brat", deciding on her place within the family; beside her brother, off a little to the
behind, of course. She orchestrates Vincent's ascension, the true heir of Sonny,
to the top of the Family. The newest Don Corleone, the one she will have a direct line
with, she knows the Family's reputation will be in good hands. Now that she's a part of
such things, she can hold her head high in the neighbourhood.
Poisoned cannoli? What about it? She's not gonna walk up & stab the guy for chrissakes!
She's a lady... that's what lady's do. Them being a lady is what makes it all right for
them to use poison. Lucrezia Borgia, y'know? She still did her part, & did what she had
to.

And Kay...
Decades after marrying into a Sicilian family, after raising Sicilian-American children,
after so many years of eating the food, hearing the language & the loving memories of
the "old country: Miss Kay Adams, after all the bullshit, she's finally there in Sicily,
right alongside Michael. Finally they can make their "peace", brought together by their
children, but then, of course, tragically destroyed by the death of one.
From the look on her face, we can tell how she feels during that magnificent scene;
Michael's pathetic howls, his hysteric tears, they tell her much more then he himself
would ever verbalise to her.

Still... you have to assume the death of their daughter,
by a mafia assasin's bullet no less, that would have been the final straw, the donkey
crippling one. Do we really expect Kay to stick around? After that? Is it any wonder he
die's alone? Kay left him long ago, his son estranged, Vincent & Connie far away in New York
& all his old friends dead...

Where else does Michael have to go in his life story? The son of his father, he reaped
what he sowed. A tragic Anti-Hero, one of modern films most compelling. The Godfather,
Part III, is an unsung classic, a frickin awesome movie.

In My Own Humble Opinion,
Mickey_MeatBalls.

So ive had few. Sue me. GF rules!!

(cough.)
Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #572141
04/18/10 08:59 AM
04/18/10 08:59 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I don't know. I can see some of your points, MMD, but I thought that GF2 completed the storyline. Michael had lost his family and consigned himself to hell in this world and the next. So I thought that GF3 was just unnecessary. The story was finished.

As far as specifics go I didn't buy Connie getting involved as she did or Vincent coming out of nowhere to lead the family.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: Lilo] #572149
04/18/10 01:46 PM
04/18/10 01:46 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
What time do the bars in Australia open? tongue lol

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: Lilo] #572153
04/18/10 02:17 PM
04/18/10 02:17 PM
Stewartstown, PA
V
VitoC Offline
Capo
VitoC  Offline
V
Capo
Stewartstown, PA
Originally Posted By: Lilo
I don't know. I can see some of your points, MMD, but I thought that GF2 completed the storyline. Michael had lost his family and consigned himself to hell in this world and the next. So I thought that GF3 was just unnecessary. The story was finished.

As far as specifics go I didn't buy Connie getting involved as she did or Vincent coming out of nowhere to lead the family.

Although I agree that GF2 is a great movie (although, IMHO, not as great as its predecessor), if I were Coppola I wouldn't have made it, I'd have stopped after the first one. After having made such a great movie I wouldn't have wanted to risk a sequel tarnishing it, since sequels are almost always inferior to the original. And "The Godfather" tells a complete, self-contained story by itself, it doesn't need a sequel. Coppola was really lucky the second one turned out as well as it did (obviously, his luck ran out with the third).

Let me tell ya somethin my kraut mick friend!
Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: pizzaboy] #572167
04/18/10 07:17 PM
04/18/10 07:17 PM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
They dont close is the thing. lol

(cough.)
Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #572231
04/19/10 01:15 PM
04/19/10 01:15 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica

...We can expound all we want on how overblown the script was, how elementary the plot...

Sure number 3 has its faults & sure they're many compared to 1 & 2...

Compelling case. However, 2 minor corrections, based upon your own words, above.

1. GF3 is NOT 'unrecognized'.
2. GF3 is NOT 'a classic'.

Even without being compared to GF and GFII, it is at best a very good movie. (Not in my opinion, but that of others on the BB).

Other than that, you're certainly entitled to you humble opinion, with or without a few drinks under your belt.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: VitoC] #572247
04/19/10 02:09 PM
04/19/10 02:09 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: VitoC

Although I agree that GF2 is a great movie (although, IMHO, not as great as its predecessor), if I were Coppola I wouldn't have made it, I'd have stopped after the first one. After having made such a great movie I wouldn't have wanted to risk a sequel tarnishing it, since sequels are almost always inferior to the original. And "The Godfather" tells a complete, self-contained story by itself, it doesn't need a sequel. Coppola was really lucky the second one turned out as well as it did (obviously, his luck ran out with the third).

Well as I'm sure you know FFC was a bit miffed that GF1 wound up (in some circles) being interpreted or understood as a love letter to or romantification of the Mafia and wanted to tell a story that made it virtually impossible for anyone to miss the point that these were bad people. He was also quite interested in showing the bad side of capitalism and used the Mafia as a metaphor. I don't know if he still feels that way now but those were his feelings in the early seventies.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: AppleOnYa] #572287
04/19/10 05:52 PM
04/19/10 05:52 PM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Aha, good sir, thats where you are wrong.

1 - GF3 IS a classic
2 - It IS unrecognized as such.

Hence "unrecognized classic"
Disagree?
Watch the movie again.
Still disagree?
Have some drinks. Watch it again.
Still disagree?
Repeat.

(cough.)
Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #572290
04/19/10 06:44 PM
04/19/10 06:44 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Aha, good sir, thats where you are wrong.

Apple's not a sir, and she certanly ain't any good tongue lol.

Still disagree?
Still disagree?
Repeat.

Well, if we keep drinking, even "Going Ape!" becomes a classic lol.

Man, they really gotta start thinking of prohibition in Australia tongue lol.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: pizzaboy] #572295
04/19/10 07:55 PM
04/19/10 07:55 PM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Sorry about that AppleOnYa. I put to much stock in the avatars. I think Turnbull looks like a young Marlon Brando.

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Well, if we keep drinking, even "Going Ape!" becomes a classic lol.

Man, they really gotta start thinking of prohibition in Australia tongue lol.

Im sure id agree. Erm, if i knew "Going Ape" I gather it's a film of some sort?lol
Y'know prohibition might work. But then two-bit drug dealers & standover men would make millions selling to a thirsty Australian populace that no longer see's them as "gangsters" but rather colourful characters who flout a ridiculous law, therefore giving them a base of legitimacy with the huge profits that they'd...

sorry. i'll stop now.

(cough.)
Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #572296
04/19/10 08:15 PM
04/19/10 08:15 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Im sure id agree. Erm, if i knew "Going Ape" I gather it's a film of some sort?lol

Oh, it's a classic 1981 film starring Danny DeVito, Tony Danza and an orangutan.

I think it cost 30 dollars and a large pizza to film lol.

Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #572298
04/19/10 08:25 PM
04/19/10 08:25 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Watch the movie again.

Again? I've tried watching it about 4 times; can never get past the unrelieved boredom of the first 40 minutes (one time, I actually made it to an hour).

Still disagree?

I had to have a few drinks to make it through that 40 minutes.

Then I had a few more and managed to watch the last 40 minutes. Death of Mary admittedly a stunner, extremely well depicted, and even a fitting, tragic conclusion to the life of Michael Corleone.

Still though, no 'classic' in there. Not even an inkling of one.

Oh, and pay no attention to pizzaboy. I'm only 'not good' here on the BB.

You make a compelling case though, and it's nice to see someone have such enthusiasm for a movie...even if I do not agree.

Best,
AppleOnYa

Last edited by AppleOnYa; 04/19/10 08:28 PM.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: AppleOnYa] #572300
04/19/10 08:32 PM
04/19/10 08:32 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: AppleOnYa
Oh, and pay no attention to pizzaboy. I'm only 'not good' here on the BB.

Be nice to me, Apple. I'm the most conservative of all the liberals on this site tongue lol.

Plus, I was just kidding smile.

Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: AppleOnYa] #572317
04/19/10 10:06 PM
04/19/10 10:06 PM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Again? I've tried watching it about 4 times; can never get past the unrelieved boredom of the first 40 minutes (one time, I actually made it to an hour).

I had to have a few drinks to make it through that 40 minutes.

Then I had a few more and managed to watch the last 40 minutes. Death of Mary admittedly a stunner, extremely well depicted, and even a fitting, tragic conclusion to the life of Michael Corleone.

Still though, no 'classic' in there. Not even an inkling of one.

You make a compelling case though, and it's nice to see someone have such enthusiasm for a movie...even if I do not agree.

Best,
AppleOnYa

Hmm. Did you try drinking? Oh wait...

Seriously though, thanks for the input. While i know that my "classic" is not neccesarily everybody else's, i appreciate you respecting my opinion, as i respect yours. smile

In any case...
GF rules! By which I mean all three! GF3 4eva!!!11@!!11!!woot!1!
(runs to hills proclaiming love for a movie universally considered mediocre. with a portable dvd player under one arm, GF BoxSet under the other. cords dragging. oh crap i forgot batteries.)

(cough.)
Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: pizzaboy] #572329
04/19/10 10:55 PM
04/19/10 10:55 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
... I'm the most conservative of all the liberals on this site ...

A 'conservative' liberal. How does that work exactly?? Nevermind, don't bother explaining it. I'll just enjoy the concept.

Dear Mickey Meatballs:

The Godfather, as we all know, is a 'Classic'.

What makes The Godfather, Part II a 'Classic', is that even while complementing and advancing the GF story, it still stands on its own as a great film whether compared to GF or not. In some aspects it even surpasses The Godfather. Almost unprecedented for a sequel.

GFIII, while possibly a 'good' movie to many (and a joke to many others), does not hold its own when compared to either GF or GFIII. Otherwise, people wouldn't be compelled to say, 'It's pretty good if you 'DON'T' hold it up to the first two'. And...why shouldn't it be compared to them? Even Coppola has admitted that had he been given more time, it would have been a better film.

But again...wonderful that you are an avid fan of all 3 Godfather films. Just wait until you see 'The GF Saga', complete with deleted scenes...if you haven't already.

Apple

Last edited by AppleOnYa; 04/19/10 10:57 PM.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: AppleOnYa] #572331
04/19/10 11:06 PM
04/19/10 11:06 PM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
You know, ive seen the deleted scenes all disembodied & disconnected like, but not with them actually rolled into the films. Holy hell, that'll be awesome. I bought one of the first boxsets, i think i may need to update.

(cough.)
Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #572333
04/19/10 11:17 PM
04/19/10 11:17 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
I don't think it's available in DVD. You would have to wait until it's shown again on television. And it's been several years since that has happened.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: AppleOnYa] #572360
04/20/10 07:27 AM
04/20/10 07:27 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Wow. That really sucks. If you're still waiting there, i dont think i stand a chance in Australia.

Oh man. Now that really blows.

& i got all worked up and everything. i'll have to go lay down & "imaginate" the deleted scenes.

(cough.)
Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: AppleOnYa] #572415
04/20/10 08:38 PM
04/20/10 08:38 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

A 'conservative' liberal. How does that work exactly?? Nevermind, don't bother explaining it. I'll just enjoy the concept.

Uhm, that was a poor choice of words lol. Conseravtive Democrat is what I meant grin.

Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: pizzaboy] #572424
04/20/10 09:25 PM
04/20/10 09:25 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

Uhm, that was a poor choice of words lol. Conseravtive Democrat is what I meant grin.

No, it wasn't a poor choice of words. Political ideology (or one's adherence to it)can be measured on a continuum (just like almost anything can). It's a normative description of where you see yourself fitting on that continuum.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: olivant] #572430
04/20/10 10:05 PM
04/20/10 10:05 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

The progression from the "olive oil business" to the casino business to international Immobiliare seemed logical over the three shows. But I think Part 3 suffered from the fact it was done too long after the first two.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: IvyLeague] #572434
04/20/10 10:38 PM
04/20/10 10:38 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
...I think Part 3 suffered from the fact it was done too long after the first two.

I disagree. It was highly anticipated and a dream come true for GF fans who wondered what might have become of Michael in the years after that haunting final closeup of GFII.

What hurt it were the choices that were made in writing it. And...the absence of Robert Duvall.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: AppleOnYa] #572441
04/21/10 06:10 AM
04/21/10 06:10 AM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
And Sophia's acting.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: AppleOnYa] #572444
04/21/10 09:44 AM
04/21/10 09:44 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
And...the absence of Robert Duvall.

Duvall's absence did more to hurt the film than anything else, including Sophia's acting. I mean, Sophia Coppola was a spoiled 19 year old Italian American girl, playing a spoiled 20 something Italian American girl. Not much of a stretch.

Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: pizzaboy] #572451
04/21/10 10:34 AM
04/21/10 10:34 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
True, but listening to hours of her incessant whining in that nasally voice was still grating. And I didn't even mention her dull expression.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: Sicilian Babe] #572452
04/21/10 10:37 AM
04/21/10 10:37 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
True, but listening to hours of her incessant whining in that nasally voice was still grating. And I didn't even mention her dull expression.

Yeah, you'd think Mary grew up on the East Coast (although this is never really verified), so where did the valley girl accent come from? lol

Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: pizzaboy] #572520
04/22/10 07:27 AM
04/22/10 07:27 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
There's no single character we really care about.
Michael has become a manager of a big company ("We need more lawyers.") We know already that he has destroyed his life and hopes. Who cares about the Immobiliare deals or whether or not he can fix his broken relationship to his kids and exwife?
Vincent is too simple minded to be a protagonist. He's a supporting character, but even Sonny's shoes are too big for him.
Sophia - even more naive than Fredo or young Kay.
Anthony - good singer, so what!

No hero, no real protagonist. Just a gangster movie.

Anyway, thank you Mickey for your thoughts and for stirring up the conversation about GF3.

Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: Danito] #572555
04/22/10 04:15 PM
04/22/10 04:15 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
The real difference between III and the first two is
that all the characters in III are two dimensional. In the others you look at Vito, Sonny, Barzini, CLemenza, Sol,
Tom, Michael even bit players like Woltz....and they are all larger than life.

Same thing in II. Geary, Pentangeli, Roth, ..Tom and Michael again.. and bit players like Cicci and Ola....great actors you can feel them.

In III everyone is either a parody of himself or herself, or two dimensional. A has been Fontaine brings nothing. Hagen's priest son?? Why is he even in it? Terrible reprise for Enzo the baker....Altobello's performance will forever be a stain on Wallach's career. I could go on but what for?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: dontomasso] #572573
04/22/10 08:55 PM
04/22/10 08:55 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
In a perverse way GFIII was perfect. It reflected the world of the 80s and projected the way the characters might have become. GF was very romanticized, and GFII was a slap-in-the-face reality check. GFIII was a very real, reality check. Think of Sopranos and you have GFIII; pyschological dissection, self-centered gratification, the "me" generation with money and egos to burn. It wasn't a fun movie. It showed us how f'd up the Corleones had become.......like the Gotti's had become.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: In Defense of an Unrecognized Classic: I <3 GF3 [Re: MaryCas] #572597
04/23/10 01:23 AM
04/23/10 01:23 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: MaryCas
In a perverse way GFIII was perfect. It reflected the world of the 80s and projected the way the characters might have become. GF was very romanticized, and GFII was a slap-in-the-face reality check. GFIII was a very real, reality check. Think of Sopranos and you have GFIII; pyschological dissection, self-centered gratification, the "me" generation with money and egos to burn. It wasn't a fun movie. It showed us how f'd up the Corleones had become.......like the Gotti's had become.

That's interesting because I think Godfather III and The Sopranos couldn't be more different. In Godfather III you had Michael Corleone paying out $600 million like it was nothing to the Vatican Bank to take majority control of an international real estate company. You had intrigue that reached all the way up to the Pope, a helicopter attack that wiped out the whole Commission, etc. In The Sopranos you have a mob family in North Jersey involved in local rackets like bookmaking, card games, loansharking, extortion, stock fraud, truck hijacking, and construction kickbacks. Godfather III was much like the first two as far as being very romanticized and larger than life. The Sopranos was more like Goodfellas, down and dirty and more realistic.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 04/23/10 01:24 AM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull