GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 196 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,426
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,830
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,505
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,304
Posts1,058,282
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #627171
12/31/11 03:25 AM
12/31/11 03:25 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica
I scored the companion book The Wire: Truth Be Told for Xmas, and just started hacking into it. Its great. Beyond the sypnosis for every episode and a season overview, its got a bunch of articles on different facets of the show and interviews with the creators and actors.

FWIW, I agree with Celebel (great post BTW) Sure Soprano's is/was awesome. Sure it covers the "Italian American Experience", as it may be. But The Wire tells a story far more typical of most big cities. Sure its "Bal'more", but its far more relevant to inner city life anywhere than Soprano's was. It paints a more universal picture.

The Sopranos was set more in the suburbs anyway.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: The Wire [Re: IvyLeague] #627177
12/31/11 07:04 AM
12/31/11 07:04 AM
S
Scorsese Offline
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline
S
Underboss
has anyone seen the short films they made with the characters when they were younger such as prop joe, omar mcnulty

Re: The Wire [Re: IvyLeague] #627254
12/31/11 08:14 PM
12/31/11 08:14 PM
Australia
M
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica Offline OP
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica  Offline OP
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
I scored the companion book The Wire: Truth Be Told for Xmas, and just started hacking into it. Its great. Beyond the sypnosis for every episode and a season overview, its got a bunch of articles on different facets of the show and interviews with the creators and actors.

FWIW, I agree with Celebel (great post BTW) Sure Soprano's is/was awesome. Sure it covers the "Italian American Experience", as it may be. But The Wire tells a story far more typical of most big cities. Sure its "Bal'more", but its far more relevant to inner city life anywhere than Soprano's was. It paints a more universal picture.

The Sopranos was set more in the suburbs anyway.

Meh. I know better than to try to argue the merits of The Wire over The Sopranos with you...

...but Im gonna do it anyway grin grin
Sure Sopranos captured the suburban zeitgeist, even managing to make an otherwise boring as shit notion into a compelling series. As Chase himself has said (and Im paraphrasing here) the mafia element in the show was a vehicle to explore latter day suburban life. Truth be told, its a bit of a one trick pony.

The Wire in comparison explores so much more. Beyond the obvious themes of each season (the scourge of drugs, shady politics and corruption, failing institutions and the degredation of modern journalsim), Season Two in particular (and the others to a differing extent) touched on white flight, urban decay, gentrification and, however briefly, life in the suburbs. Unlike The Sopranos though, it doesn't need to make it a major theme to get the points across.

Advantage: The Wire. Every time.

(cough.)
Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #627391
01/01/12 07:59 PM
01/01/12 07:59 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Advantage: The Wire. Every time.

Get back to me in another 10 years or so and see which one stands the test of time better.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #627406
01/01/12 11:46 PM
01/01/12 11:46 PM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Deal. I'll meet you back here on 2/1/2022.

(cough.)
Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #627663
01/03/12 01:52 PM
01/03/12 01:52 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Deal. I'll meet you back here on 2/1/2022.

We will all be long dead in 2022. We will all be dead before the end of this year, trust me. The Aztecs have foreseen it. wink

Anyway, I've seen a shitload of series since Boardwalk Empire started last year; the Borgias, Shogun, the Sopranos, Rome, Game of Thrones, The Pillars of the Earth, the Wire. But the one that stands out the most is the Sopranos, followed closely by Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire. The Wire is an extremely authentic serie, but it isn't near as entertaining as the Sopranos.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #627697
01/03/12 04:28 PM
01/03/12 04:28 PM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
I wholeheartedly disagree. For me, The Wire was ever more entertaining in the long run.

(cough.)
Re: The Wire [Re: Sonny_Black] #627786
01/04/12 03:40 AM
01/04/12 03:40 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

We will all be long dead in 2022. We will all be dead before the end of this year, trust me. The Aztecs have foreseen it. wink

I thought it was the Mayans? Anyway, you're right about The Sopranos being at the top. And give Mickey some time. He'll come around eventually.

Re: The Wire [Re: IvyLeague] #627852
01/04/12 02:49 PM
01/04/12 02:49 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss

I thought it was the Mayans?

You're right, my mistake. But grant me that you could easily confuse the two. These empires were practically neighbors. wink

Oh and Mickey, I want to arrange a meeting with you to talk things over. Come see me at the basement of that Montreal house, you know which one I mean. You will feel safe there, I guarantee it. I'm sure we will straighten things out. smile

Re: The Wire [Re: Sonny_Black] #627878
01/04/12 05:02 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York

I thought it was the Mayans?

You're right, my mistake. But grant me that you could easily confuse the two. These empires were practically neighbors. wink

Oh and Mickey, I want to arrange a meeting with you to talk things over. Come see me at the basement of that Montreal house, you know which one I mean. You will feel safe there, I guarantee it. I'm sure we will straighten things out. smile

im sure thats prob what they told Sal Montagna as well and look what happened to him... just saying lol

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: The Wire [Re: Sonny_Black] #627879
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia

Im uh...no thanks. Im busy that day. On all of the days.

(cough.)
Re: The Wire [Re: Dapper_Don] #627882
01/04/12 05:08 PM
01/04/12 05:08 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don
im sure thats prob what they told Sal Montagna as well and look what happened to him... just saying lol

That was just a misunderstanding. I would never touch a hair on Mickey's head, he's my best friend.

Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #628565
01/09/12 11:27 PM
01/09/12 11:27 PM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Your bestest friend? Oh hell, I guess Ill come to the meeting! Its the one close to that river right? Ill tell my driver to stay in the car! I probably wont need to bring my gun right? That Sal Montagna sized hole in the window doesn't worry me a bit, Im sure its just coincidence! Ill see you there, friend!

*Meatballs comes to meeting. Gets shot. Dives through Montagna sized hole in window, jumps across snowy banks of river and dies in the muck screaming "THE WIRE 4 EVA!!!11!!". Surete' finds him and shakes their heads, though forced to concede that yes, The Wire is actually the better show.

(cough.)
Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #628831
01/11/12 09:08 AM
01/11/12 09:08 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
SB fucks up, gets arrested and the GangsterBB family put a contract on his head.

Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #628933
01/11/12 06:15 PM
01/11/12 06:15 PM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Poor Sicilian Babe! What did SB do? She just hangs out in the Off Topic houses, being all cool and chilled and stuff. How did she ever get mixed up in this nonsense? Oh, and she's a she, not a he. And why would the Commish put one out on her?

*single tear. She coulda been a contender.

...wait, what are we talking about again?

(cough.)
Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #629102
01/12/12 03:01 PM
01/12/12 03:01 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
We were talking about a sit-down Ivyleague proposed and I would organize. I'm sure we can come to an agreement about The Wire and The Sopranos. After this meeting, there will be no more minunderstandings. wink

Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #629209
01/12/12 11:57 PM
01/12/12 11:57 PM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
If you read the new Rolling Stones with The Black Keys on the cover, there is a good article about "snoop" in there. Steve King said she was the scariest female villain in a TV series.

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #629228
01/13/12 01:48 AM
01/13/12 01:48 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Ive always liked that quote, especially coming from a guy like King. Felicia "Snoop" Pearson's an interesting figure for sure; born a crack-baby, identifying as a lesbian from a young age, convicted of murder as a teen and 'discovered' by Michael K. Williams in a Baltimore bar, introduced to David Simon and put on the show.

(cough.)
Re: The Wire [Re: Sonny_Black] #629245
01/13/12 05:02 AM
01/13/12 05:02 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
We were talking about a sit-down Ivyleague proposed and I would organize. I'm sure we can come to an agreement about The Wire and The Sopranos. After this meeting, there will be no more minunderstandings. wink

facepalm

Right. Im busy that day. On all the days.

(cough.)
Re: The Wire [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #629303
01/13/12 01:59 PM
01/13/12 01:59 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti
If you read the new Rolling Stones with The Black Keys on the cover, there is a good article about "snoop" in there. Steve King said she was the scariest female villain in a TV series.

Y'heard?

Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #632965
02/03/12 06:55 PM
02/03/12 06:55 PM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Browsing Reddit the other day I came across an AMA by author and Wire writer George Pelecanos.

In response to a question about a supposed sixth series of The Wire, Pelecanos responded with the following (I thought was quite interesting and decided to share.

We had five stories to tell, and to their credit HBO kept us on the air to do it. In truth, the ratings did not justify keeping us further, but the aftermarket sales in video, domestic and international, made the show hugely profitable for HBO. We would have liked to look at the Latino culture in Baltimore, and tackle immigration, but we ran out of time. It's funny, Ed Burns wanted to do a season about horse racing, the track, and organized crime. It's all connected in Maryland, but again, no time. Now, David Milch has done it with Luck on HBO. I watched the first ep, and I think it's fantastic.

(cough.)
Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #634057
02/10/12 04:24 AM
02/10/12 04:24 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Was gonna start a new thread but remember it got some talk on here. just watched 5/6ths of The Corner. OMFG. How good.

As a few other guys have mentioned, its a spin out seeing guys from The Wire in almost completely different roles. And goddamn: Gary McCullogh; the Bubbles prototype.

Im watching the last ep. tonight, and all the reviews say that this one is the most full-on. Some deaths, some "falls", etc. Really glad I finally watched it, I left it way too long.

(cough.)
Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #634901
02/14/12 05:24 PM
02/14/12 05:24 PM
S
Scorsese Offline
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline
S
Underboss
two of my favourite scenes.

Re: The Wire [Re: Scorsese] #636124
02/22/12 05:39 PM
02/22/12 05:39 PM
S
Scorsese Offline
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline
S
Underboss
This is the guy marlo stansfield was based on.

In the mid-1980s, Timmirror Stanfield was a major Baltimore drug trafficker. In 1986 Stanfield was 25 and ran a gang which included over fifty members. The Stanfield gang controlled South Baltimore's Westport area and West Baltimore's Murphy Homes housing project.[26] The gang committed multiple murders, and drew the attention of authorities, who were able to persuade fifteen witnesses to testify. The core of the gang was convicted.[27] This real life criminal forms the basis of the character's origins while emphasizing the rise in brutality from the American heroin trade of the 1970s to the crack cocaine trade of the 1980s.

The gang was responsible for several murders, and the investigation focused on four of the murders that occurred at the 725 George Street highrise. Former Maryland State Attorney Kurt Schmoke authorized Assistant State Attorney Howard Gersh to use a special grand jury to investigate the gang. Approximately 40 gang members and other neighborhood witnesses testified before the panel. Within 5 months, the four cases were prepared for trial, with 15 gang members ready to testify against Stanfield. Three of the cases were presented for prosecution, and convictions were secured against the nucleus of the gang.

Boardley Investigation

With certain modifications and on a larger scale, the investigative process developed in the Stanfield case was used in the Boardley investigation with equally impressive results. Warren Boardley, Nadir Abdullah, and Christopher Burrows controlled a vast drug distribution network centered in the Lexington Terrace/Poe Homes housing project and spreading throughout the West Baltimore and Cherry Hill areas of the city. The gang employed four full-time gunmen and used eight others, all hired by contract.

The scope of this investigation was broader than the Stanfield investigation in that it sought to employ the federal Racketeer Influenced Corrupt Organizations Act statute, which used murder, narcotics trafficking, and money laundering as the predicated crimes. The results were similarly impressive. Several members turned against the gang nucleus, even though the core group was not incarcerated while the grand jury was sitting.

The investigative process employed in the Boardley investigation works because of the way in which each gang member is bonded to the gang. In areas where gangs flourish, gang membership to achieve status and money is an accepted norm, like pursuing an education, a job, or sports. Consequently, youth with minimal or no criminal tendencies are drawn to gangs and fall under the tutelage of gang leaders. Most members do not comprehend the scope of the gang's lawlessness and are not prepared for the types of crime assigned to them. The degree of adaptation or corruption depends on the individual's proclivity for crime. The assignment to commit a criminal act occurs before the subject is able to make an intelligent choice. Therefore, the subject becomes committed to the gang despite strong reservations that may linger.

The Stanfield investigation was developed and prosecuted by the state. The Boardley investigation was a joint effort by state and federal authorities. Both investigations were successful, and both approaches have their merits. A joint investigation takes advantage of the strengths of each. A major weakness, highlighted in the Boardley investigation, is the lack of clearly established lines of responsibility among the federal and local participants.

Investigations' Conclusions

From the evidence gathered in the Stanfield and Boardley investigations, it appears that only a few members adopted the violent mentality of the core group. The majority of gang members appear to be trapped between their essentially good upbringing and their fear of the gang's violence. Those members who are uncertain and confused are the ones who the investigators target. The process proposes to resolve a subject's conflicts by offering a safe alternative to the gang—cooperation with government officials.

The investigative strategy achieves its primary goals. This process disempowers the leader, disrupts the integrity of the gang, and generates new evidence that leads to successful prosecutions of the gang's nucleus. The investigative process has a significant impact on both those who cooperate and those who are prosecuted. Based on 1998 data, the Murphy Homes area—formerly known as the Murder Homes—has not experienced new gang or gang-related murders. Drug dealing still exists in the neighborhood, but not with the degree of organization or violence imposed by the former gang.

Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #636517
02/25/12 09:43 AM
02/25/12 09:43 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
I think, Omar's killing was one of the most intelligent scenes in The Wire. They tried to get at him in million ways, which made him to be careful in some special way, which led to a certain blindness. "The game" as they call it here ("business" in The Godfather) is a like a Russian roulette. No-one's safe. No-one. You can't predict anybody's fate. Who would have thought that Poot will be the one who survives from the old crew. You just can't "keep the devil way down in the hole". If you believe you're smart, you have lost already.

Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #636525
02/25/12 11:12 AM
02/25/12 11:12 AM
Amsterdam
C
Chopper2012 Offline
Capo
Chopper2012  Offline
C
Capo
Amsterdam
Liked season one, two and three, hated season four (fast forwarded multiple epsiodes),

but then...season five: loved it! One of the best things i have ever seen on screen in my live. The problem is, you have to watch the first four seasons to get it.

Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #652940
06/24/12 06:59 AM
06/24/12 06:59 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI

Quote:
Ten years ago this month, The Wire premiered on HBO and… almost nobody cared. The Baltimore saga of cops and dealers, junkies and politicians, poverty and hope, polarized critics, was ignored by the Emmys, constantly struggled for ratings and faced cancellation more than once. But it also inspired a future President, created a bona fide American folk hero, and helped launch the current “Golden Age” of television. Now for the first time ever, the creators, writers, cast and crew recall the making of an American classic.

In the mid-1980s David Simon, a police reporter for the Baltimore Sun, met Ed Burns, a homicide detective in the midst of a major case involving local drug kingpin and folk hero Melvin Williams. Key evidence in the case was gathered using wiretap surveillance.

Cast, Creators, Crew Interviews from The Wire

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #654154
07/02/12 04:08 AM
07/02/12 04:08 AM
Netherlands
B
B_A_ Offline
Button
B_A_  Offline
B
Button
Netherlands
It's the best show I've ever watched. It's less easy to watch as for instance the Sopranos but so much more rewarding imho.
And now the new musical really completes the whole experience:
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/414fa4b226/the-wire-the-musical-with-michael-kenneth-williams

Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #655982
07/18/12 08:17 PM
07/18/12 08:17 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #658119
08/01/12 10:37 AM
08/01/12 10:37 AM
TheKillingJoke Offline
Underboss
TheKillingJoke  Offline
Underboss
I've seen the first two seasons. I liked it, especially season 2. Full of great characters and the mystery surrounding 'The Greeks' is really clever ( my guess is that they're part of Russian OC and that the leader and Vondas are Pontians ).

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull