GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 150 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday Tommasino Neri.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,428
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,840
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,507
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,306
Posts1,058,306
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: The Wire [Re: getthesenets] #592970
02/02/11 07:40 PM
02/02/11 07:40 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
Originally Posted By: getthesenets
I don't have HBO and my cousin was telling me for YEARS about the show. I never like to feel as though I'm caught up in the "hype" about something.

Didn't watch it until there was discs of all the seasons at my local library...each weekend I took them out..and of course, was blown away.

I applaud the writers for not watering down the dialogue slang for mainstream audience. In fact, almost on cue...the "critics" seemed to take offense to not having things tailored to them. I read a NY times article/review of the show and the writer ACTUALLY wrote something to the effect of..." the street dialogue is self consciously accurate".f the critics.

maybe they'd be more comfortable if the characters were talking "blaxploitation jive" or what-not.

yeah i waited till all the seasons were out and on sale then bought all of them and it was a great time, i was sad it ended just as when the sopranos did

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #592987
02/02/11 11:30 PM
02/02/11 11:30 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Great show.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: The Wire [Re: IvyLeague] #592991
02/03/11 12:06 AM
02/03/11 12:06 AM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
an unintentional effect of the Wire was that it ended the "crime hood movie" genre.

After Boyz N the Hood and then again recently in direct to dvd format, there were tons of "urban""crime" films made with widely varying degrees of skill.

Neo blaxploitation, really.

The Wire raised the bar so high, that NOBODY can stomach crude poorly produced one note films which cover the urban streets.

In fact, many have re-examined some of the well produced Black "crime" films of the past and many now come up short

Last edited by getthesenets; 02/03/11 12:06 AM.
Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #592996
02/03/11 01:59 AM
02/03/11 01:59 AM
V
VinnyGorgeous Offline
BANNED
VinnyGorgeous  Offline
BANNED
V
Underboss
Just got done with the first episode. Looks promising. A lot of F bombs being dropped, MF bombs, but everything done with class. I like it.

"What is given, can be taken away. Everyone lies. Everyone dies." - Casey Anthony, in a poem, July 7, 2008
Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #592997
02/03/11 02:39 AM
02/03/11 02:39 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

Having seen the entire run, I really cannot easily decide if The Sopranos was better or not -- that's how good The Wire is!

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: The Wire [Re: J Geoff] #592998
02/03/11 02:44 AM
02/03/11 02:44 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: J Geoff
Having seen the entire run, I really cannot easily decide if The Sopranos was better or not -- that's how good The Wire is!

This from someone who thinks New Jersey pizza is the best in the world.

Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #592999
02/03/11 02:56 AM
02/03/11 02:56 AM
V
VinnyGorgeous Offline
BANNED
VinnyGorgeous  Offline
BANNED
V
Underboss
I will say this..after having seen the first episode. The first episode is shit compared to any of The Sopranos shows. That's how good The Sopranos was.

"What is given, can be taken away. Everyone lies. Everyone dies." - Casey Anthony, in a poem, July 7, 2008
Re: The Wire [Re: VinnyGorgeous] #593001
02/03/11 03:56 AM
02/03/11 03:56 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted By: SC
Originally Posted By: J Geoff

This from someone who thinks New Jersey pizza is the best in the world.

Never said best in the WORLD! Just best outside of Naples wink

Originally Posted By: VinnyGorgeous
I will say this..after having seen the first episode. The first episode is shit compared to any of The Sopranos shows. That's how good The Sopranos was.

Needless to say, you can't judge an entire series on the pilot episode! tongue

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #593005
02/03/11 10:03 AM
02/03/11 10:03 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

I've had this argument with more than a few people. The Wire was a great series. I watched it when it on HBO and then rented the series again on DVD.

The difference is, I own The Sopranos, which was the greatest TV drama of all time.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #593060
02/03/11 07:54 PM
02/03/11 07:54 PM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

In a van down by the river!
The Wire can't be judged until you've seen about 5-6 episodes.

The Wire might be the best TV show ever, but it is not my favorite. The Shield is, Arrested Development is up there, and of course Sopranos, but The Wire might be in my top 5.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #596918
03/10/11 12:14 PM
03/10/11 12:14 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

"The Wire" actress busted in drug ring.

More than 30 people, including the actress known as "Snoop" from the Baltimore-based HBO series "The Wire," were arrested Thursday morning across the city and its surrounding counties in connection with a large-scale heroin and marijuana operation.

Raids were carried out in the pre-dawn hours by agents from the Drug Enforcement Administration, Baltimore police and a slew of other federal and state law enforcement agencies.

Felicia "Snoop" Pearson, known for her drug-assassin character on "The Wire," was taken into custody at a downtown apartment on a state warrant, officials said.

The actress has a troubled past, having been convicted at age 14 of second-degree murder. More recently, she refused to testify as a witness at a murder trial and was arrested at her then-Northeast Baltimore home.

The arrests are part of a five-month drug investigation, officials said.

Last edited by Beth E; 03/10/11 12:16 PM.

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #606211
06/25/11 08:38 AM
06/25/11 08:38 AM
Australia
M
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica Offline OP
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica  Offline OP
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
K. Ive got a confession. When I made this thread, I was a "tourist" to "The Wire". I had watched burnt copies of about 60% of each season up to the fifth. Now Im re-watching it with a vengeance & realising that I was fucking wrong.
"THE WIRE" SHITS ALL OVER "THE SOPRANO'S", THAT IS, "THE SOPRANO'S", BEST FUCKIN' TELEVISION SHOW IN HE HISTORY OF FUCKING TELEVISION. "THE WIRE" IS BETTER THEN THE BEST TELEVISION SHOW IN HISTORY.
Ahem.
Really, though, Ive been rewatching the series in HighDef from the start, & a little way into the Second Series Im dumbfounded over what I was missing. I cant believe I didnt realise it before. "The Wire" is, in fact, so much, much deeper then "Soprano's" or "Oz" or whatever-the-fuck. So much more sprawling, so much more all encompassing.
Lets face it, "Soprano's" is classic. For me, at least, it redefined good t.v. What could be done with the medium. "Oz" showed me one could still push the envelope, Tony Soprano & his crew showed me how far you could take it into that id realm of WWYD? (Y for YOU mofo's!)

For example, I refer you to the murder of young 'jects kid Wallace in Series the First, the "testimony" of gay stick up man Omar Little in Series the Second & the continuing saga of Bubbles [Reginald?], the most convincing depiction of the drug struggle Ive yet to witness. Andre Royo's turn in this series is just phenomenal. This casting is amongst the most inspired & effective to be put together.

Anthony Soprano, in his most tortured, existentialist angst-ridden states; his "me, me, me"-ism's...he's compelling in his position, a juxtaposition between the Old World & the New, a reflection of the darker sides of ourselves, but through the eyes of this one guy, some asshole out for himself (like us all, really), a virulent racist, a crooked, violent, mean asshole, a guy we realise way too late that we shouldn't really be rooting for, until the night his ass gets splattered in a diner in front of his wife & kids; then we realise how far & much Tony's sneering, shrugging & fucking got him.
The Wire trancends Tony Soprano and his bull shit. Its got infinitely more to say on us all.

Anyway, I got's to lay up on the italic. I aint no 'jects brother up in here. Y'feel me babby?
Ahem. Excuse me.

(cough.)
Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #609325
07/29/11 12:19 PM
07/29/11 12:19 PM
New Orleans, LA
YukonCorneleone Offline
Wiseguy
YukonCorneleone  Offline
Wiseguy
New Orleans, LA
Jeez Mickey, tell us how you really feel! LOL

I own The Wire box set as well as The Sopranos. I love both of them
equally. I think they are both great series, just different.
Kind of like your kids I guess. Haha
A friend of mine is the DA here and he loves The Wire as well.
He says it's the truest depiction of how local politics work, especially
the season where Carcetti runs for mayor and all the bullshit you
have to put up with

And honestly, who wouldn't want to be McNulty? Or as Bubbles calls
him, "McNutty" That guy gets more ass than a toilet seat. I love the
scene where he's banging that chic on the hood of the car outside
the bar and a patrol car pulls up and flashes him with the lights
McNulty reaches down to his pants and pulls out his badge.
The cops leave and he starts back slamming that babe!
Fricking hilarious! He's da Man! LOL

"You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the
streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it."
----Mean Streets---

"Business bad? Fuck you, pay me. Oh, you had a fire? Fuck you
pay me. Place got hit by lightning huh? Fuck you, pay me. It was
beautiful!". ---Henry Hill in "Goodfellas"
Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #610334
08/09/11 08:06 PM
08/09/11 08:06 PM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Snoop pleads out...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/marylan...0,4750766.story

She looks ridiculous in the video. Was she taking the piss or is that how she actually dresses for court? She looks like Brother Mouzzone.

(cough.)
Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #610343
08/10/11 04:14 AM
08/10/11 04:14 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica
K. Ive got a confession. When I made this thread, I was a "tourist" to "The Wire". I had watched burnt copies of about 60% of each season up to the fifth. Now Im re-watching it with a vengeance & realising that I was fucking wrong.
"THE WIRE" SHITS ALL OVER "THE SOPRANO'S", THAT IS, "THE SOPRANO'S", BEST FUCKIN' TELEVISION SHOW IN HE HISTORY OF FUCKING TELEVISION. "THE WIRE" IS BETTER THEN THE BEST TELEVISION SHOW IN HISTORY.
Ahem.
Really, though, Ive been rewatching the series in HighDef from the start, & a little way into the Second Series Im dumbfounded over what I was missing. I cant believe I didnt realise it before. "The Wire" is, in fact, so much, much deeper then "Soprano's" or "Oz" or whatever-the-fuck. So much more sprawling, so much more all encompassing.
Lets face it, "Soprano's" is classic. For me, at least, it redefined good t.v. What could be done with the medium. "Oz" showed me one could still push the envelope, Tony Soprano & his crew showed me how far you could take it into that id realm of WWYD? (Y for YOU mofo's!)

For example, I refer you to the murder of young 'jects kid Wallace in Series the First, the "testimony" of gay stick up man Omar Little in Series the Second & the continuing saga of Bubbles [Reginald?], the most convincing depiction of the drug struggle Ive yet to witness. Andre Royo's turn in this series is just phenomenal. This casting is amongst the most inspired & effective to be put together.

Anthony Soprano, in his most tortured, existentialist angst-ridden states; his "me, me, me"-ism's...he's compelling in his position, a juxtaposition between the Old World & the New, a reflection of the darker sides of ourselves, but through the eyes of this one guy, some asshole out for himself (like us all, really), a virulent racist, a crooked, violent, mean asshole, a guy we realise way too late that we shouldn't really be rooting for, until the night his ass gets splattered in a diner in front of his wife & kids; then we realise how far & much Tony's sneering, shrugging & fucking got him.
The Wire trancends Tony Soprano and his bull shit. Its got infinitely more to say on us all.

Anyway, I got's to lay up on the italic. I aint no 'jects brother up in here. Y'feel me babby?
Ahem. Excuse me.

Please.

You're not the first guy to suddenly announce, "You know what, The Wire is even better than The Sopranos!" But more often than not, after the novelty wears off, they come to their senses and recant that blasphemy.

Don't get me wrong, The Wire is a great show. But better than The Sopranos? That's like saying Menace II Society is better than Goodfellas.

Re: The Wire [Re: IvyLeague] #610345
08/10/11 04:37 AM
08/10/11 04:37 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
NickyScarfo Offline
Underboss
NickyScarfo  Offline
Underboss
Queenstown, New Zealand
Sometimes though a lot of us guys on here, our judgement is clouded because we are all interested in the Mafia. I agree that the wire is a far more sprawling, and deeper show compared to the Sopranos, but personally I prefer the Sopranos.

Re: The Wire [Re: NickyScarfo] #610347
08/10/11 04:55 AM
08/10/11 04:55 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: NickyScarfo
Sometimes though a lot of us guys on here, our judgement is clouded because we are all interested in the Mafia. I agree that the wire is a far more sprawling, and deeper show compared to the Sopranos, but personally I prefer the Sopranos.

A guy who I was debating the two shows with over on the Real Deal years ago accused me of this very thing - Mafia bias. But what made The Sopranos so good (and popular with many besides us OC buffs) went far beyond the typical mob stuff. The Sopranos really put HBO on the map in a lot of ways. Without the success of The Sopranos, shows like The Wire may never have even happened.

Re: The Wire [Re: IvyLeague] #610348
08/10/11 05:18 AM
08/10/11 05:18 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
NickyScarfo Offline
Underboss
NickyScarfo  Offline
Underboss
Queenstown, New Zealand
yeah Sopranos did do a lot for Drama series, I think the show "Oz" preceded both and broke a lot of barriers, the show wasn't as good as the other two but still a good show.

Re: The Wire [Re: IvyLeague] #610357
08/10/11 07:56 AM
08/10/11 07:56 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Ahem.

Ahem. Excuse me.

Please.

You're not the first guy to suddenly announce, "You know what, The Wire is even better than The Sopranos!" But more often than not, after the novelty wears off, they come to their senses and recant that blasphemy.

Don't get me wrong, The Wire is a great show. But better than The Sopranos? That's like saying Menace II Society is better than Goodfellas.

*Ahem* Please

You're also not the first guy to say what you just said. Sure they went far beyond the usual mob stuff, but as much as we want to say that Soprano's was an allegory for suburbun life and the "end of the American Dream" (WhateverTF that means) take the mob out of Soprano's and you got some chubby asshole from NJ. Tony's a complete and utter dick. Compelling in many ways but still a dick.

The Wire transcends. The Wire is The City. How do you take away the City from the background?

Dont get me wrong. I LOVE The Soprano's. Ive never watched so many hours of tv in a row.
I do agree that without one the other might not have come to fruition. Who woulda thunk Soprano's would be so awesome? Things like Oz and Deadwood paved the way for it, and it led to the standard of programming today (SoA, Breaking Bad, Brotherhood, Rome, SixFeetUnder etc.. I know not all of these are HBO productionz, my point is that a bar was raised post Soprano's. And thats pretty cool.

(cough.)
Re: The Wire [Re: NickyScarfo] #610507
08/11/11 01:47 PM
08/11/11 01:47 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

yeah Sopranos did do a lot for Drama series, I think the show "Oz" preceded both and broke a lot of barriers, the show wasn't as good as the other two but still a good show.

Yes, Oz came before The Sopranos but it was only a cult favorite. The Sopranos was a national phenomenon widely regarded as the best TV drama ever.

Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #610508
08/11/11 01:49 PM
08/11/11 01:49 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Dont get me wrong. I LOVE The Soprano's. Ive never watched so many hours of tv in a row.
I do agree that without one the other might not have come to fruition. Who woulda thunk Soprano's would be so awesome? Things like Oz and Deadwood paved the way for it, and it led to the standard of programming today (SoA, Breaking Bad, Brotherhood, Rome, SixFeetUnder etc.. I know not all of these are HBO productionz, my point is that a bar was raised post Soprano's. And thats pretty cool.

Here's the difference...

I watched The Wire when it was on TV and then rented it again on DVD.

But I own The Sopranos.

Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #610531
08/11/11 05:14 PM
08/11/11 05:14 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
The Wire transcends. The Wire is The City. How do you take away the City from the background?

The Wire is only Baltimore. And you can't compare Baltimore with New Jersey or even New York. They just said in the last episode I watched that Baltimore is 65% black. New York is 10 times bigger and a lot more diversed. Different mentality on the streets.

I've recently started to watch the Wire because everyone says it's a great serie. And it is a good serie. But it's also slow paced, especially the first season. It's not near as good as The Sopranos, but I'm only in the third season and I've read that the fourth season is the best..

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #610547
08/11/11 07:55 PM
08/11/11 07:55 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
It's sort of like arguing over who is the most beautiful woman in the world. whistle
Once you get past a certain point it's all subjective.
I give a slight nod to The Wire especially for the writing but that's just me. tongue The Wire also showed blacks in dramatic roles which was (is) incredibly rare on TV or in movies. I appreciated that.

I enjoyed The Sopranos immensely but if I had to choose I'm picking The Wire.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: The Wire [Re: Lilo] #610591
08/12/11 03:22 AM
08/12/11 03:22 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
[quote=Lilo]It's sort of like arguing over who is the most beautiful woman in the world. whistle
[quote]

Great analogy Lilo. They are both such great works it can be very much subjective. And hasn't The Wire won recognition for its predominantly African American cast? Especially being so multi dimensional.

But for the one guy in Siberia who hasn't heard me yet...I also have to choose The Wire.

(cough.)
Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #610592
08/12/11 03:26 AM
08/12/11 03:26 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
NickyScarfo Offline
Underboss
NickyScarfo  Offline
Underboss
Queenstown, New Zealand
When is the next great HBO crime drama coming out!!! Im getting withdrawal symptoms!

Re: The Wire [Re: NickyScarfo] #610627
08/12/11 10:18 AM
08/12/11 10:18 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
When is the next great HBO crime drama coming out!!! Im getting withdrawal symptoms!

Check Boardwalk Empire. They already broadcasted the first season and the second one is in the making.

Re: The Wire [Re: Sonny_Black] #610629
08/12/11 10:25 AM
08/12/11 10:25 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
NickyScarfo Offline
Underboss
NickyScarfo  Offline
Underboss
Queenstown, New Zealand
Yeah I will do man, though I heard it doesn't quite match up to the sopranos and the Wire?

Re: The Wire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #610638
08/12/11 11:12 AM
08/12/11 11:12 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
It's difficult to compare one season of Boardwalk Empire to six seasons of the Sopranos. One season is better than the other. But Boardwalk Empire is definitely one of the best series I've seen. I like it more than the Wire, but the Sopranos is still the king.

Re: The Wire [Re: Sonny_Black] #610790
08/13/11 11:54 AM
08/13/11 11:54 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
NickyScarfo Offline
Underboss
NickyScarfo  Offline
Underboss
Queenstown, New Zealand
well that would be hard to beat! Do you have any idea how many seasons they have planned for it?

Re: The Wire [Re: NickyScarfo] #610808
08/13/11 01:04 PM
08/13/11 01:04 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
well that would be hard to beat! Do you have any idea how many seasons they have planned for it?

That all depends on the viewer ratings. Remember, even a serie is all about making money.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull