GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 374 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,858
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,509
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,313
Posts1,058,424
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 80 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 79 80
Re: Mafia Books [Re: pizzaboy] #565446
01/19/10 12:02 PM
01/19/10 12:02 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
I'll put that on the list PB. I have read another by Anastasia called THE GOODFELLA TAPES. All about Philly in the 90's,post Scarfo,when Stanfa and Skinny Joe Merlino were in conflict.

Another good read that!

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #565448
01/19/10 12:19 PM
01/19/10 12:19 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Yogi, I did a mini-review of "Last Gangster" in this section (page 11). I agree with PB about its similarity to "Blood and Honor".

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Lilo] #565449
01/19/10 12:23 PM
01/19/10 12:23 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Thanks Lilo. i will check that out!

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #565484
01/19/10 02:24 PM
01/19/10 02:24 PM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline
Underboss
Netherlands
I'm reading Iceman at the moment. You know the stupid part of it? Towards the end I still hope the man doesn't get arrested, while he has done horrible things to people! Somehow I feel empathy with him....

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Don Cardi] #566081
01/26/10 11:50 AM
01/26/10 11:50 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Read THE MAD ONES last night at work. I know it got poor reviews on here a while back and i have to agree a little. It is like the author is going out of his way to be uber-exciting and hip in his writing style. I cannot comment on any discrepancies in the geographical references, being 5,000 miles away, but i take the boys in here at their word and presume he was pumping out a load of crap in places.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #566083
01/26/10 12:41 PM
01/26/10 12:41 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Has anyone heard of/read the book "Unto the daughters" by Karen Tintori?
She's a Detroit area Sicilian-American who discovered that close to 60-70 years ago her great-aunt was murdered by her own brothers because she did not wish to marry a local mafia bigshot (this was not done at the request of the mafia). I saw it in a bookstore recently...

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #566464
02/02/10 11:05 AM
02/02/10 11:05 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
To go back to THE MAD ONES there is a bit that made me chuckle. Folsom talks about the old Dons having battles of wit with riddles and songs. He uses Joe Profaci as an example. I believe it goes something along the lines of "If i die in Brookulino bury me with me my mandolino"

Wow. I bet that one won him the riddle game rolleyes

My youngest boy could come up with that one tongue

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #566511
02/02/10 09:38 PM
02/02/10 09:38 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Yogi, the story about the rhyming contests was lifted from Joe Bonanno's autobiography, "A Man of Honor" (sic). All autobios are self-serving, as is Bonanno's. But he has plenty of interesting stories in it--whether or not they're true. He gives the most detailed account of the famous Castellemmarese War, and also describes the workings of the Commission.

As you may be aware, Rudy Giuliani, when he was the top Federal prosecutor for New York (before he became mayor), "got hit by the thunderbolt": he realized from Bonanno's description that the Commission fit the pattern for a "racketeer influenced corrupt organization" under the recently passed RICO law. He brought the famous "Commission Case" and sent several NYC Dons away for 100-plus years. "I ran the Mafia out of New York," he boasted. It was an exaggeration, but he did deal them a body blow from which they've never recovered.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #566517
02/02/10 11:36 PM
02/02/10 11:36 PM
Australia
M
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica Offline
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica  Offline
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
"If i die in Brookulino bury me with me my mandolino"

Holy Hell i laughed so hard at this when i read that book, just the mental picture of it all.

Good review of The Butcher, Lilo, spot on. i should have spent my money on "I Heard You Paint Houses" with Frank Sheehan & Charles Brandt.

Thats not true. i actually have a stange compulsion to shop-lift true-crime books. Actually thats not true. Or is it?

(cough.)
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #566528
02/03/10 12:04 PM
02/03/10 12:04 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
MMD, I don't know if someone already did a review of "I heard you paint houses" or not but I liked the book. It seemed to have a bit more substance and validity. Of course like any true crime book there was a bit of "I speak without fear of contradiction !" (because everyone else is dead) included within. It's been a while since I read it so I can't remember now if some of Mr. Sheeran's most outlandish claims were conclusively debunked. Either way though it's entertaining..

Winter is Coming

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Lilo] #566563
02/04/10 01:22 AM
02/04/10 01:22 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
True, true, there always seems a bit of that. I have a tendancy to leaf through 90%
of the books in the true-crime section of a book-shop before actually settling on the
one or two im going to buy.

"I Heard You Paint Houses", i think that's what ill be picking up next, mainly because
i dont have any books dealing mainly with the Bufalino crime family.
One of the things that looked interesting was a list of mobsters purporting to be the
"Mafia Commission". It includes Frank Sheehan and a Jewish dude (i cant remember exactly, is it Rockman?)
Some pretty cool pictures too, of Bufalino and some other well known dudes.

Of course, i can only expect it to have Sheehan's own take on the last 50-odd years of
mob history, which in all likelihood will conflict with the recollections of many other
such mobster "testimonials".
Even books by journalists like Capeci, Anastasia, Raab, Humphries & Lamonth include
there own relevant "truth's" and explanation of events, which can often be at odds with
the claims of other authors, which i find particularly intersesting, trying to deduce
the likliest course of events through the information on hand.
Such, of course, is the nature of the "True" crime "Mob-Lit".

Anyway, i sound like a douch-bag. This is obvious information.
Even so, i love it. After gathering up a trove of books on the NY Families and the
Sicilians, im really after books about the other families now. I read "Last Mafioso"
recently, The Weasel's biography, and self-serving as it was at times, i was enthralled
by all the information on the Outfit and West Coast Families. And of course you cant
go past George Anastasia for books on the Philly Mob, likewise Scott Deitch for the
Florida Family. If anybody can suggest any other "authorities" as such, please
let me know.

Has any-one read "Smaldone" or "Blackhand Strawman" about the Denver and Kansas City
Families respectively? These look pretty interesting. I might have to ebay for them
or some shit; it seems unlikely my local bookstores will stock it for me.

Long post -0 -pardon me.

(cough.)
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #566576
02/04/10 10:33 AM
02/04/10 10:33 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I can't recommend strongly enough Gus Russo's book "The Outfit" which concerns the Chicago Outfit and associated organizations in the Midwest and California. He also wrote a book "Supermob" which was primarily about Sidney Korshak and other Jewish/Anglo powerbrokers that got their start being backed by the Outfit but branched out to mostly legal concerns. I haven't finished "Supermob" yet. Both books are quite dense, lengthy and extensively sourced.

The interesting thing about "...paint houses" is that you get to see some of the interplay between and among various criminal organizations, politicians, labor and businesses. Someone's formal title may be virtually meaningless as to the actual power they hold and there were some guys that were formal members of one family but did much of their business/socializing with members of another family. Everything was interrelated. There are multiple seats of power. It was a quicker read than "The Outfit" but still quite good. I don't have the book in front of me now and wouldn't want to spoil it but Sheeran's voice really is like listening to what I imagine Al Neri's memoirs would have sounded like. Sheeran evidently wasn't quite a lunatic psycho but he just lacked ANYTHING approaching empathy. Killing didn't bother him. At all.

Winter is Coming

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Lilo] #566596
02/04/10 01:27 PM
02/04/10 01:27 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Notice that Sheeran said he was with Hoffa at the end, but he never actually came right out and said he killed him. Also interesting that the book was published after Sheeran died.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turnbull] #566604
02/04/10 02:09 PM
02/04/10 02:09 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Notice that Sheeran said he was with Hoffa at the end, but he never actually came right out and said he killed him. Also interesting that the book was published after Sheeran died.

I don't have the book in front of me now but I'm pretty sure that Sheeran claimed to have put two bullets in Hoffa's head. Previously he had only claimed to have helped drive the car away after the deed was done.

Winter is Coming

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Lilo] #566652
02/05/10 12:09 AM
02/05/10 12:09 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
I have contrived to obtain myself a copy of "I Heard You Paint Houses". I have just started it this very morning.

Totally drawn into it from the start, i at first *groaned* when the inevitable story of his own life started in Chapter 3.
I was pleasantly surprised to find it was not so boring after all. A few things cracked me up, like his views on masturbation and his earliest sexual experiences.
Or how his father would bet other men money that Frank could beat up their sons, so he could drink the winnings.
And how he see's "Tuxedo Junction" as his "theme-song".

I was, though, shocked by the allegations of attrocities committed by American soldiers under Patton in Sicily, the murder of busloads of prisoners and other awful shit. Call me naive, but not only did i have no knowledge of such, but would not have suspected. I know fucked-up things happen during war but i never would have expected they happened at that particular time & place. I guess i had thought Patton and his troop's to be ...shit, i dont know. More honourable maybe? My naievity (spl?)

And 411 days of combat? He'd seen some shit. Your right, Lilo, you can almost feel the cold indifference of his words when he descibes death & killing. Its a little creepy.

Anyway, im up to Chapter 8, Russel Bufalino, and am digging this book.

- Nothing for nothing, but i was a bit annoyed with the boxing kangaroo anecdote. Call me a bleeding heart, but the guy was punching the shit out of a kangaroo for chrissakes! Probably an old enfeebled one with its foot-claw clipped, brutally trained to "box" and do as commanded. Aahhhrrgghh... sorry, but this got to me a bit. Even though he presents it as a light-hearted story, my modern sensibilities couldnt reconcile such archaic entertainment. Sorry, maybe because im an Aussie, but even if it was a dog or whatever. I was happy that the kangaroo hurt his head at least. Ha.

Still a good book, of course. Russel Bufalino is an interesting man.

Last edited by Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica; 02/05/10 01:16 AM.

(cough.)
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #566657
02/05/10 07:22 AM
02/05/10 07:22 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica
I have contrived to obtain myself a copy of "I Heard You Paint Houses". I have just started it this very morning.

I was, though, shocked by the allegations of attrocities committed by American soldiers under Patton in Sicily, the murder of busloads of prisoners and other awful shit. Call me naive, but not only did i have no knowledge of such, but would not have suspected. I know fucked-up things happen during war but i never would have expected they happened at that particular time & place. I guess i had thought Patton and his troop's to be ...shit, i dont know. More honourable maybe? My naievity (spl?)

And 411 days of combat? He'd seen some shit. Your right, Lilo, you can almost feel the cold indifference of his words when he descibes death & killing. Its a little creepy.

Anyway, im up to Chapter 8, Russel Bufalino, and am digging this book.

Still a good book, of course. Russel Bufalino is an interesting man.

Glad you like the book so far, MMD. smile

Yeah the war time stuff was a little unsettling but the historian Stephen Ambrose talks about similar stuff in his books. For example, after news of the SS led massacre at Malmedy got out, some Allied units didn't take prisoners for a week or so. That extra motivation aside, an officer that's been given an objective to reach by a set time, doesn't want to slow his advance down by taking large numbers of prisoners. And then there's just the basic human element of turning off the kill switch. Someone who just killed your best buddy in the squad runs out of ammo, throws his rifle down and NOW wants to surrender?

panic

But Patton was a strange one..

Winter is Coming

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Lilo] #567000
02/10/10 10:58 AM
02/10/10 10:58 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Aha. Great book. Definitly earns its place in my mob-lit canon. Some interesting stuff, and has added to my understanding of the Teamsters greatly. Heaps of info.

I get the kangaroo thing now, Sheeran using it as a metaphor for being oblivious to certain things that could be harmful
(not realizing that the thumps on the back of his head were from the kangaroo's tail) Still, its a kangaroo for chrissakes.

I thought Sheerans belief in his role in Joe Biden becoming a senator was fascinating.

Its clever the way he describes things, too. He never says "I shot him twice in the back of the head", but uses ambiguous wording, just "he was shot twice in the head". Of course, he had already stated he was there and holding a gun. He did the same thing in his version of the Joey Gallo hit.

Im now onto "Mafia's Greatest Hits" by David H. Jacobs. Nowhere near as good though. I already know all this stuff.

(cough.)
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #567044
02/11/10 10:28 AM
02/11/10 10:28 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
The thing that intrigued me about that book is that Sheeran spent most of his adult life working for men who cheated, stole and robbed folks and used the union to do it. He committed beatings or murders on command to help these people attain their private profits. And yet seemingly without irony he supported unions as being important for the working guy.

Winter is Coming

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Lilo] #567494
02/17/10 06:48 AM
02/17/10 06:48 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
True, with utmost conviction. Sheeran was definitly a character, with some decidedly cold
-blooded traits. He is very reverant of both Rosario Bufalino and James R. Hoffa. And
though at first i thought it sounded dubious, after reading the book i have also shifted
to the belief that it was indeed Sheeran who not only killed Hoffa, but Joey Gallo as
well. Not Persico, not Joe Luparelli's "suspects", nor any of the countless theories ive
read in countless mob books. As Mr. Capeci says in "Idiots Guide..", it has that
"ring of truth".

Ive scared up a new book; though as its entirely in relation to Australian O.C
(specifically this country's drug trade and the various syndicates that
have been involved in it over the years) i know its not for everybody; but
for those who might be interested, it definitly make's for a good read.

"SMACK EXPRESS:How Organised Crime Got Hooked On Drugs" by Clive Small and Tom Gilling
(a former policeman & journalist respectively) published 2009, relates the rise and
history of the modern drug trade in Australia. It covers the myriad syndicates involved
over the decades in high-level drug importation, and how they interplayed as force's &
strength's waned and fluctuated.
From the earliest coke & smack-barons of the Sydney and Melbourne brothel's, to the
Anglo-Australian East Coast Criminal Milieu.

It chronicles the Calabrian Mafia's immersion in Australia's marijuana industry
& the later Calabrian connection's to massive ecstasy and cocaine hauls.
The rise of Vietnamese gangs in the Nineties, which saw savage gangs of youth's slashing
& stabbing their way to control of the lucrative heroin rings, the drug's imported
directly from South-East Asia and of a quality that hadn't been seen before on the
East Coast of Australia. The Vietnamese "triads" made the Sydney suburb of Cabramatta
the "Heroin Capital" of Australia, and it was in that suburb that a political
assasination was carried out (the murder of an MP) by Vietnamese criminals, one of very
few in Australia's history.

There is also some interesting information on a woman identified only as "Aunty",
said to be a Colombian woman in her fifties that came to Australia during the '70's
who is also one of Australia's biggest importers of cocaine, claimed to have been
responsible for the importation of approximately a tonne of cocaine about every 18 months
for roughly two decades.

And a ton more information on many more criminals, some more obscure then others.
Australia has definitly became a major drug market in recent years, and this well
researched book offers a breakdown of the industry's Australian end.

(cough.)
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #567496
02/17/10 07:41 AM
02/17/10 07:41 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
There was an assassination of a legislator?
When did this happen?
Were the people responsible caught? Does Australia have the death penalty or life imprisonment?

Winter is Coming

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Lilo] #567565
02/18/10 08:23 AM
02/18/10 08:23 AM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline
Underboss
Netherlands
Did anyone read McMaffia from Mischa Glenny? Interesting book about Maffia's from East Europe. Russian/Oekrain (or how you spell it)/Romania/Albania etc. It explains the origins very well. The economic situations, the transformation to capitalism etc.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Lilo] #567649
02/19/10 05:36 AM
02/19/10 05:36 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Holy Shit, somebody actually read my post. Awesome.
Thank you, Lilo - conversation!

In September of '94, NSW Member of Parliament & Member for the seat of Cabramatta
(sort of similar to senators in the US) John Newman was murdered outside his home.
It was seven years after his death that chief suspect Phuong Ngo was found guilty
of setting up the murder. Ngo, a Vietnamese-Australian political rival to Newman
for the seat of Cabramatta, was found to have links to several local criminals
and criminal groups of Asian extraction, and to have orchestrated the murder in an attempt to ensure
his own chances of political success, and to solidify the allegiences of the drug
gangs who were threatened by Newman and his hardline policies.

Cabramatta is well known for its large Vietnamese community, and at the time of Newman's death,
Vietnamese criminals were playing a large role in Australia's heroin trade; & so by proxy Cabramatta
became the epicentre of the nations heroin culture, due largely in part to a locally formed "Triad" of
Vietnamese youth's that, along with a few offshoot factions, fought tooth & nail for control of distribution networks.
Once the back of these groups was broken by the late 90', times changed & things moved on.

Some info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Newman_(Australian_politician)

One in Four Australians are born overseas. We truly are a migrant country, and Australia's
prosperity is based in a large part on the sweat of the men & women who came to this
country to build a life. Unfortunately, we all know we dont just get the honest,
hardworking migrants, but the dodgy ones as well; as a result, the Anglo-Australian
criminal elements have had to deal with numerous criminal cells even more determined
& dangerous as themselves. Vietnamese were/are but one of many.

The last bloke to be hanged in Australia, if my memory is correct, was one Jason
(or Joseph? I may be wrong) Ryan, sentenced to hang for murder in 1957.
The Death Penalty was abolished in 1973, and despite heated opinions has remained
so. More Australian's have been executed for drug smuggling through South-East Asia
in recent years.

An interesting side note: one Gabe Watson, an Alabama man sentanced to four and a half
years in prison for "unlawfully killing" his recently married wife Christina in 2003,
(long story short - she drowned when the boat they were passengers on left them
scuba-diving in deep-waters off the Australian East Coast - huge news in Australia)
was recently the subject of an extradition request by his State's government to face
trial for her murder in his home country (Americans were said to be furious with the
decisions of the Australian Courts that saw Watson serve only 12 months)
Unless there is a guarantee given that he will not recieve the death penalty if
convicted, the Queensland Government will not comply with the request, keeping with
Australia's opposition to Capital Punishment and refusal to force individuals into
that circumstance.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensla...90609-c17c.html

sorry sorry sorry long post.
i could go on for days, thankfully i wont, eh?

Poor guy, you prolly regret even showing mild interest.

I came this close to picking up McMafia recently M.M.
It actually sounds very cool.

Last edited by Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica; 02/19/10 05:42 AM.

(cough.)
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #567745
02/20/10 06:43 AM
02/20/10 06:43 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Hmm. In the US if a Senator were murdered-especially by an "immigrant" crime syndicate, there would be calls for a serious crackdown and imposition of the death penalty. Other than the conviction of Ngo were there any other consequences to the particular group that okayed Newman's removal?

Winter is Coming

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Lilo] #567832
02/21/10 05:21 AM
02/21/10 05:21 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Funny thing that. Despite the arrest first of two men for the murder, the charges were thrown out when the judge ruled misconduct on the part of prosecuters. Later, one of these men flipped after cutting a deal with the NSW Crime Commission and named a shooter. There were two trials; the first ended with a hung jury, the second saw Ngo convicted with the other two (the alleged shooter and the man from the first arrests) acquitted. Pretty controversial at the time. Ngo was later sentanced to life in prison, which he is still serving today.

A few years into his sentance though, he was transfered to a "SuperMax" prison, under 24 hour surveillance, and was labelled an influental person within the prison population. Some went on to claim that Ngo actually continued to play a part in politics, though this proved to be untrue.

Some have claimed that he was himself a boss, and despite some heavy allegations regarding his criminal links (some proven) hard evidence suggest's that Ngo was a mid-to-low level criminal and used young Asian gang-members as "hired muscle".
He was heavily involved in illegal casino's and gambling rings and extortion of the Vietnamese community.
As such, the street gangs were able to distance themselves from Ngo's activities, and he bore the brunt of responsiblity.
By the late Nineties, however, increased police attention saw the phenomenon of the Vietnamese street gangs fading out, and trends changed (Lebanese gangs were the next big news story) There are still, of course, Vietnamese criminals, but the vicious street gang heroin rings are much a thing of the past. They are now mainly drug importers, brothel operators and bookmaker/loansharks, operating much more low-key.

Theres some great reports on this subject, if i can just find them ill post links. A really great book to, but i dont own it and (erm..) cant quite remember the title or author...hm.

Last edited by Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica; 02/21/10 06:10 PM.

(cough.)
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #567943
02/23/10 06:48 AM
02/23/10 06:48 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
You know, ive just finished reading "The Sixth Family" by Adrien Humpries and Lee Lamonth. What a great book, the best so far on the subject of the Rizzuto Family & the Canadian Cosa Nostra & other Mafia clans, at least in my opinion. Right up there with "Five Families" by Selwyn Raab, the best tome so far on the subject of the New York Cosa Nostra. These two books, man, how good are they?

Im am going to search out a copy of "The Outfit" by Gus Russo on reccomendation. Hopefully i find a copy as quick as i did "I Heard You Paint Houses".

(cough.)
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #567967
02/23/10 05:32 PM
02/23/10 05:32 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Hope you like "The Outfit" when you find it. Be interested in your review.

Winter is Coming

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Lilo] #568032
02/24/10 05:07 PM
02/24/10 05:07 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

You'll like "The Outfit" for me this is one of my fav Mafia books.

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Mafia Books [Re: DE NIRO] #568244
03/01/10 02:24 PM
03/01/10 02:24 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

The rise of the Mafia-Martin Short

Just started to read the above book.
This is the first mafia book ive brought in a few months.

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

Re: Mafia Books [Re: DE NIRO] #568297
03/02/10 11:48 AM
03/02/10 11:48 AM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline
Underboss
Netherlands
Is that book way different from Martin Shorts 'Crime Inc.'?

Re: Mafia Books [Re: M.M. Floors] #568316
03/02/10 07:26 PM
03/02/10 07:26 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Not read "Crime Inc" so cant comment on it im afraid.

Page 17 of 80 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 79 80

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull