GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (GaryH, Malavita), 386 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,982
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,354
Posts1,059,105
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: fathersson] #710538
04/14/13 04:54 PM
04/14/13 04:54 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Originally Posted By: fathersson
Seems like it took two to tangle and maybe you weren't so innocent!

Please, sir...do explain.

Was it the purported tone? That didn't come until after EHI responded to my post. He asked a question, I answered, and he apparently couldn't handle the answer. So he lashed out the only way he could: by accusing me of stating opinion as fact, and accusing me of trying to "spread" my message. It was clearly MY opinion, but just to be "fair", I clarified that it was my opinion, and not a statement of fact, with a bit of sarcasm thrown in for good measure. You're probably the most sarcastic poster on these boards, so I don't know what your deal is.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: SC] #710559
04/14/13 08:49 PM
04/14/13 08:49 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: SC
Seems like it took two to tangle and maybe you weren't so innocent! rolleyes

and the addition of: Good riddance! shows it. You both are to blame as I see it.

This from the shit-stirrer of all shit-stirrers. ohwell

Calling them as I read them! and I guess the truth hurts those who finally hear it.

Or is this against the rules? confused truth telling that is.

Gee SC, And I thought I was one of your favorites! lol

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Danito] #710571
04/15/13 12:51 AM
04/15/13 12:51 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
The board has very capable moderators. I'm not sure why some constantly feel the need to jump in the middle of every two members' argument and call it, like some kind of wannabe moderators.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: XDCX] #710583
04/15/13 03:14 AM
04/15/13 03:14 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: XDCX
There are countless reasons, but I'll name a few.

The problem of evil. There are a few examples, but I will focus on Draper's evidential problem of gratuitous evil.

1. Gratuitous evils exist.
2. The hypothesis of indifference, i.e., that if there are supernatural beings they are indifferent to gratuitous evils, is a better explanation for (1) than theism.
3. Therefore, evidence prefers that no god, as commonly understood by theists, exists.

Now, free will dictates we can do what we want, and some people do some pretty horrific things. I understand that. But the problem is with gratuitous evil. Take the Holocaust, for example. I understand that some bad things must happen in order for us to truly understand and appreciate what is good. But when is enough enough? What can we possibly learn from the extermination of 6 million Jews that couldn't have been learned by the extermination of a small percent of that? You don't think an omnibenevolent God could have intervened at some point and stopped it? What it tells me is that if there is a God, He either has the power to stop these things and chooses not to, or he is an omnibenevolent God, but doesn't have the power to stop it. The more likely scenario, however, is God doesn't exist.

Ah, the old atheist argument of "God either doesn't care or He's too powerless to do anything about it." Of course, they come to this conclusion because they start off all wrong.

God is neither uncaring or powerless. But we all knew, as did He, that suffering, including atrocities such as the Holocaust, would be a part of our mortal lives in this fallen world. He knew that some would use their free agency for good and others for evil. This life is both a learning experience and a testing ground.

Ultimately it's up to Him when "enough is enough." And the fact that His Son's suffering exceeded the combined suffering of all human beings, on this earth and all earths created by His power, gives Him the moral right to say this a good plan.

Quote:
Some may argue that God is a "hidden God" and therefore can't make any sort of overt contact with his followers, because faith is believing without knowing. You have the choice to believe, and God showing Himself to His followers takes that option away. But a hidden God isn't possible either. There are countless examples in the Bible itself that prove that God isn't averse to showing Himself. Exodus, Chapter 14, the parting of the Red Sea, for example.

Want an example from the New Testament? Matthew, Chapter 17:

After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light. Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus.

Peter said to Jesus, "Lord, it is good for us to be here. If you wish, I will put up three shelters--one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah."

While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!"

Clearly, God doesn't want to hide. So why is God hiding today? Simple, the Bible is a collection of stories created by MAN, and God probably doesn't exist.

God has certainly shown Himself to select people at given times throughout history. However, while the ancient Israelites witnessed manifestations of His power (the parting of the Red Sea, the water from the rock, manna, etc.), only Moses and some others actually saw God.

Of course, the earthly advent of the Son of God was a unique event. But don't assume He hasn't shown Himself since then.

You're essentially like Thomas, the doubting apostle, who said that he would never believe Christ had risen from the grave and appeared to man unless he could see Him for himself, feel the prints of the nails in his hands and feet, and thrust his hand into His side. Jesus, of course, did appear to Thomas shortly thereafter; to which Thomas said, "My Lord and my God." Christ's response was, "Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed."

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: IvyLeague] #710584
04/15/13 04:17 AM
04/15/13 04:17 AM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
One person "discussion" seems to be another persons "debate" which seem to be anothers persons "argument" I guess. cool

Tuff time to figure which one you are in sometimes.

and just like "God" "Allah" or "Buda" things are always in the eye of the believer/ non-believer/ or poster sometimes... cool

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Danito] #710587
04/15/13 06:10 AM
04/15/13 06:10 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline OP
Underboss
Danito  Offline OP
Underboss
Berlin, Germany

1) Theological question: Why is it that Christians assume that the God they believe in is omnibenevolent?
Is there any hint in the New Testament?

2) (this question is, I guess, less theological, more personal) Would it diminish the belief if God was not omnibenevolent but just a creator and looks at what happens to his creation?

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Danito] #710594
04/15/13 07:48 AM
04/15/13 07:48 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Discussing religion and politics always causes hassle and bother. That's why i generally stay away from such topics. If somebody has a belief in religion, they are not going to stop just because somebody else tells them they are wrong??

Live and let live, everybody has different opinions and beliefs don't they?

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Danito] #710602
04/15/13 09:08 AM
04/15/13 09:08 AM
Massachusetts
southend Offline
Underboss
southend  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts
The ban wasn't neccessary.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: southend] #710608
04/15/13 09:58 AM
04/15/13 09:58 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Well now he's dead and nothing can bring him back. So you gotta talk to FS. You gotta talk to the other caporegimes. Its good business.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #710611
04/15/13 10:04 AM
04/15/13 10:04 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
Discussing religion and politics always causes hassle and bother. That's why i generally stay away from such topics. If somebody has a belief in religion, they are not going to stop just because somebody else tells them they are wrong??

Live and let live, everybody has different opinions and beliefs don't they?

Differences are differences, especially when it comes to religion and politics. The distinction between the person who got banned and others who do not is that what happens on these boards is business, its not personal. When you get personal, eventually you get banned.

I strongly disagree with almost everything Mignon says about politics, but I have nothing but respect for Mignon. Same for Fatherson. Even if I make a wisecrack it is not about them personally, and they treat me the same way. I am sure my views infuriate them, but to my knowledge neither of them has ever come after me personally. These disagreements never get in the way of wishing one another a happy birthday, or giving kudos for some number of posts attained, and the like any more than it interferes with personal contact with more like minded people like Oli or PB.

The individual in question got a number of warning but would not quit.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: dontomasso] #710612
04/15/13 10:05 AM
04/15/13 10:05 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

and the addition of: Good riddance! shows it. You both are to blame as I see it.

Aw, give FS a break, SC. He just misses his guns is all tongue grin.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: pizzaboy] #710621
04/15/13 10:54 AM
04/15/13 10:54 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Aw, give FS a break, SC. He just misses his guns is all tongue grin.

And now the US Supreme Court has agreed not to touch the changes New York made with gun laws. Maybe there IS a God!

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: dontomasso] #710624
04/15/13 11:52 AM
04/15/13 11:52 AM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
At the end of the day, I respect everyone's right to believe whatever they wanna believe. For me, however, blind faith simply isn't enough. In my mind, the God that Christians worship cannot exist given the way things are. Again, that is just how I see things.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: XDCX] #710658
04/15/13 01:32 PM
04/15/13 01:32 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
At the end of the day, I respect everyone's right to believe whatever they wanna believe. For me, however, blind faith simply isn't enough. In my mind, the God that Christians worship cannot exist given the way things are. Again, that is just how I see things.

That's fair enough, but why are you singling out the "God that Christians worship"?

What about the Jews (possibly a bad example because I FIRMLY believe that Jews and Christians worship the same God), or the Muslims, or the Hindus, or the Moonies, or whoever?

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: pizzaboy] #710727
04/15/13 04:44 PM
04/15/13 04:44 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
That's fair enough, but why are you singling out the "God that Christians worship"?

What about the Jews (possibly a bad example because I FIRMLY believe that Jews and Christians worship the same God), or the Muslims, or the Hindus, or the Moonies, or whoever?

That is a fair question, and it is probably unfair that I have singled out Christianity in most of my posts and examples. I suppose it's because I am more familiar with Christianity than Islam, Judaism, or any other faith. But my reasoning extends to other faiths as well.

One thing I will reiterate is that I am agnostic, not atheist, which means I am open to the idea that God may indeed exist. But at this point in my life, there are too many things I can't accept in order to believe.

Hopefully that cleared up any confusion! smile

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: XDCX] #710731
04/15/13 04:50 PM
04/15/13 04:50 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

That is a fair question, and it is probably unfair that I have singled out Christianity in most of my posts and examples. I suppose it's because I am more familiar with Christianity than Islam, Judaism, or any other faith. But my reasoning extends to other faiths as well.

That's something that is almost never stated. We Americans are hughly more familiar with Christianity than any other religion even Judaism. Thus, we are able to legitimately discuss and comment on what we know.

That brings to mind a recent accusation by Sean Hannity that SNL was not fair and balanced because its skit about Jesus was not mirrored with a skit about Mohammed.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: dontomasso] #710738
04/15/13 05:06 PM
04/15/13 05:06 PM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline OP
Underboss
Danito  Offline OP
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: dontomasso

Differences are differences, especially when it comes to religion and politics. The distinction between the person who got banned and others who do not is that what happens on these boards is business, its not personal. When you get personal, eventually you get banned.

I strongly disagree with almost everything Mignon says about politics, but I have nothing but respect for Mignon. Same for Fatherson. Even if I make a wisecrack it is not about them personally, and they treat me the same way. I am sure my views infuriate them, but to my knowledge neither of them has ever come after me personally. These disagreements never get in the way of wishing one another a happy birthday, or giving kudos for some number of posts attained, and the like any more than it interferes with personal contact with more like minded people like Oli or PB.

Wisely spoken.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Danito] #710854
04/15/13 10:34 PM
04/15/13 10:34 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Danito
1) Theological question: Why is it that Christians assume that the God they believe in is omnibenevolent?
Is there any hint in the New Testament?

Well, for starters, you know all those signs you see at football games and other public events? The John 3:16 ones. wink

Quote:
2) (this question is, I guess, less theological, more personal) Would it diminish the belief if God was not omnibenevolent but just a creator and looks at what happens to his creation?

It certainly would for me. In LDS theology, God isn't just our creator. And He isn't just our "Father" in a some kind of symbolic sense. He is literally the Father of our spirits. And we lived with Him for ages before we came to this earth. And Jesus (known as Jehovah) was the first born of these spirit children of God. So, we see God caring for mankind on this earth as a father would care for his children.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: dontomasso] #710868
04/15/13 11:52 PM
04/15/13 11:52 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Originally Posted By: dontomasso

DT, that is very kind of you to say. That is the difference between posters being able to disagree and still show RESPECT for one another and posters not doing that. Some people post at an adult level and show maturity others post at a childish level.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Danito] #710869
04/16/13 12:17 AM
04/16/13 12:17 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I think that many people confuse God and religion. You can believe in God, but have doubts about a religion. The two don't necessarily go hand-in-hand, although to many they do.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Danito] #710883
04/16/13 03:35 AM
04/16/13 03:35 AM
Latvia
ThePolakVet Offline
Capo
ThePolakVet  Offline
Capo
Latvia
I more or less think that religion and god's were created by people to control other people and put order in everything back then. Such as if people were afraid of not getting into heaven, they wouldn't chop each other's heads off.

I could believe in God, but not religion. Religion is kind of the thing I don't accept at all. Starting from the things that they force people to do things and ending with pedophile priests and other priests covering them up.

If religion wants to attract people it should be modernized and fair to everyone.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: ThePolakVet] #710884
04/16/13 04:33 AM
04/16/13 04:33 AM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
Originally Posted By: ThePolakVet
Religion is kind of the thing I don't accept at all. Starting from the things that they force people to do things and ending with pedophile priests and other priests covering them up.

It's not like they "force" you. If you try to be religious and then decide you don't agree with its principles, you can walk out and nobody will stop you. It's not like the mafia where you can leave only when you die. I always got it that, according to Christianity, if you are a good person but are not a follower of God, it's not like you automatically end up in hell just because you don't believe. What matters is being a good person. This view is shared by all other Christians I personally know.
And why always this talk about pedophile priests, as if pedophilia was monopolized by the church? I mean, there are scumbags in any social group, if you find a pedophile football player, does this mean all football players are bad?

Last edited by Dwalin2011; 04/16/13 04:41 AM.

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: ThePolakVet] #710951
04/16/13 01:38 PM
04/16/13 01:38 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: ThePolakVet
I more or less think that religion and god's were created by people to control other people and put order in everything back then. Such as if people were afraid of not getting into heaven, they wouldn't chop each other's heads off.

I could believe in God, but not religion. Religion is kind of the thing I don't accept at all. Starting from the things that they force people to do things and ending with pedophile priests and other priests covering them up.

If religion wants to attract people it should be modernized and fair to everyone.

Well said. There is a huge difference between believing in God and following a religion.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #710952
04/16/13 01:42 PM
04/16/13 01:42 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I think that many people confuse God and religion. You can believe in God, but have doubts about a religion. The two don't necessarily go hand-in-hand, although to many they do.

Here's how you tell the difference: People who are interested in the subject of God will have philosophical discussions. People who run religions are always making you feel guilty and asking you for money.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: dontomasso] #710954
04/16/13 02:00 PM
04/16/13 02:00 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
People who run religions are always making you feel guilty and asking you for money.

Well, if you watch TBN and a few other networks, the money part of your statement seems to be true.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Danito] #711046
04/16/13 10:35 PM
04/16/13 10:35 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Monsignor always used to joke that Palm Sunday was the most well-attended day because people feel that they're getting something for nothing.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Danito] #711255
04/18/13 07:47 AM
04/18/13 07:47 AM
Massachusetts
southend Offline
Underboss
southend  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts
I'm not sure

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: southend] #711324
04/18/13 12:45 PM
04/18/13 12:45 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

think I will start believing in hundreds of gods... like the Hindus.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #711325
04/18/13 12:46 PM
04/18/13 12:46 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Monsignor always used to joke that Palm Sunday was the most well-attended day because people feel that they're getting something for nothing.

Hey nowadays you can get a light brunch every week..,usic,.a piece of bread, a sip of wine....all for a dollar in the collection plate.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Danito] #711386
04/18/13 03:17 PM
04/18/13 03:17 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Thew question shouldn't be whether we believe in God, but whether God believes in us.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull