GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 324 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,679
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,204
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,519
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,390
Posts1,059,998
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 70 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 69 70
Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: olivant] #565730
01/22/10 06:30 AM
01/22/10 06:30 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: olivant
NBC News and news services updated 2 hours, 30 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - In a landmark ruling, the U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday struck down laws that banned corporations from using their own money to support or oppose candidates for public office.

By 5-4 vote, the court overturned federal laws, in effect for decades, that prevented corporations from using their profits to buy political campaign ads. The decision, which almost certainly will also allow labor unions to participate more freely in campaigns, threatens similar limits imposed by 24 states.

It leaves in place a ban prohibiting corporations and unions from directly contributing funds to candidates for any use.

I saw that. I didn't have time yesterday to look into the reasoning in detail but it sounds to me like a very bad decision.

Here's a reaction

The Problem isn't the law but the Court

I'm not sure if there is any legislative fix to this the way there was to Ledbetter. It doesn't sound like it. So either people will need to change the Constitution or change the Court. Of course there is nothing that says that society couldn't increase taxes on corporations or require equal access to media during elections for everyone-imperfect solutions though. Ultimately this all goes back to decisions granting corporations "personhood" imo.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: Lilo] #565763
01/22/10 01:27 PM
01/22/10 01:27 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
China says US criticism over internet controls is unjustified and "information imperialism".
China Responds

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: Lilo] #565774
01/22/10 02:21 PM
01/22/10 02:21 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Originally Posted By: Lilo
NBC News and news services updated 2 hours, 30 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - In a landmark ruling, the U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday struck down laws that banned corporations from using their own money to support or oppose candidates for public office.

By 5-4 vote, the court overturned federal laws, in effect for decades, that prevented corporations from using their profits to buy political campaign ads. The decision, which almost certainly will also allow labor unions to participate more freely in campaigns, threatens similar limits imposed by 24 states.

It leaves in place a ban prohibiting corporations and unions from directly contributing funds to candidates for any use.

I saw that. I didn't have time yesterday to look into the reasoning in detail but it sounds to me like a very bad decision.

Here's a reaction

The Problem isn't the law but the Court

I'm not sure if there is any legislative fix to this the way there was to Ledbetter. It doesn't sound like it. So either people will need to change the Constitution or change the Court. Of course there is nothing that says that society couldn't increase taxes on corporations or require equal access to media during elections for everyone-imperfect solutions though. Ultimately this all goes back to decisions granting corporations "personhood" imo.

This is how I understand this. Anyone weigh in if I'm wrong. confused

Right now there are limits on how much a corporation can contribute to any one political party. This "reversal" will allow all major corporations to pay millions/billions to whomever they want to support politically correct? Most of big business are usually "Republican" right? So you get a candidate who has nowhere near that kind of money, the other side will obviously get way more exposure giving that candidate a real edge. So any "little" guy (so to speak) won't stand a chance. The election can be bought?????? eek

Also, this law has been in affect for years and years and was voted for change with a strictly partisan vote from a Supreme Court where the majority are Righties.

Weigh in and enlighten me. Tell me how it's fair. Oh, and DT or Kly, if you know, are there any legal options for those who oppose? I doubt it, but thought I'd ask.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #565781
01/22/10 03:27 PM
01/22/10 03:27 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
"This "reversal" will allow all major corporations to pay millions/billions to whomever they want to support politically correct?"

No TIS, it won't. The ruling does not invalidate that part of the law which prohibits corporate contributions directly to candidates.

In any case, I support the ruling since it is consistent with the First amendment of the US Constitution which was, if anything, drafted and ratified to safeguard political speech.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: olivant] #565785
01/22/10 03:40 PM
01/22/10 03:40 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I think that in life, at some point most people will have had cause to be upset over a romantic setback or rejection.

But this goes WAY beyond what most people would be willing to do in response...
Oracle President on Billboard

Winter is Coming

Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: Lilo] #565786
01/22/10 03:43 PM
01/22/10 03:43 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
That ain't right. But Hell hath no fury, huh?

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: pizzaboy] #565787
01/22/10 03:47 PM
01/22/10 03:47 PM
California

California
Ha ha ha!! I saw that this morning, but had no idea who these people were. confused

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #565792
01/22/10 04:28 PM
01/22/10 04:28 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
In any case, I support the ruling since it is consistent with the First amendment of the US Constitution which was, if anything, drafted and ratified to safeguard political speech.

I agree, Oli. Here's a very sound article from today's Wall Street Journal (which is widely considered to be the most liberal of the 20 top selling newspapers in the country). My point being, there's no "right wing conspiracy" at work here. And if even the far left Wall Street Journal can see this for what it is (a free speech issue), then we, as Democrats, have to do the same.

A Free Speech Landmark

Campaign-finance reform meets the Constitution

The Wall Street Journal

Freedom has had its best week in many years. On Tuesday, Massachusetts put a Senate check on a reckless Congress, and yesterday the Supreme Court issued a landmark decision supporting free political speech by overturning some of Congress's more intrusive limits on election spending.

In a season of marauding government, the Constitution rides to the rescue one more time.

Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote yesterday's 5-4 majority opinion in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission, which considered whether the government could ban a 90-minute documentary called "Hillary: the Movie" that was set to run on cable channels during the 2008 Presidential campaign. Because it was funded by an incorporated group and was less than complimentary of then-Senator Hillary Clinton, the film became a target of campaign-finance limits.

The 2002 Bipartisan Campaign Finance Act, aka McCain-Feingold, banned corporations and unions from "electioneering communications" within 30 days of a primary or 60 days of a general election. Yesterday, the Justices rejected that limit on corporate spending as unconstitutional. Corporations are entitled to the same right that individuals have to spend money on political speech for or against a candidate.

Justice Kennedy emphasized that laws designed to control money in politics often bleed into censorship, and that this violates core First Amendment principles. "Because speech is an essential mechanism of democracy—it is the means to hold officials accountable to the people—political speech must prevail against laws that would suppress it by design or inadvertence," he wrote. The ban on corporate expenditures had a "substantial, nationwide chilling effect" on political speech, he added.

In last year's oral argument for Citizen's United, the Court got a preview of how far a ban on corporate-funded speech could reach. Deputy Solicitor General Malcolm Stewart explained that, under McCain-Feingold, the government had the authority to "prohibit the publication" of corporate-funded books that called for the election or defeat of a candidate.

That was a shock and awe moment at the Court, as it also should have been to a Washington press corps that has too often been a cheerleader for campaign-spending limits. Mr. Stewart was telling a truth already familiar to campaign-finance lawyers and the speech police at the Federal Election Commission. Former FEC Commissioner Hans von Spakovsky recalled yesterday that in 2004 the agency investigated whether a book written by George Soros critical of George W. Bush violated campaign laws. Liberals as much as conservatives should worry about laws that allow such investigations.

The Court's opinion is especially effective in dismantling McCain-Feingold's arbitrary exemption for media corporations. Thus a corporation that owns a newspaper—News Corp. or the New York Times—retains its First Amendment right to speak freely. "At the same time, some other corporation, with an identical business interest but no media outlet in its ownership structure, would be forbidden to speak or inform the public about the same issue," wrote Justice Kennedy. "This differential treatment cannot be squared with the First Amendment."

For instruction and sheer entertainment, we also recommend Justice Antonin Scalia's concurring opinion that demolishes Justice John Paul Stevens's argument in dissent that corporations lack free speech rights because the Founding Fathers disliked them. "If so, how came there to be so many of them?" Mr. Scalia writes, in one of his gentler lines.

The landmark decision—which overturned two Supreme Court precedents—has already sent the censoring political class into orbit. President Obama was especially un-Presidential yesterday, putting on his new populist facade to call it "a major victory for big oil, Wall Street banks, health insurance companies" and other "special interests." Mr. Obama didn't mention his union friends as one of those interests, but their political spending will also be protected by the logic of this ruling. The reality is that free speech is no one's special interest.

New York Senator Chuck Schumer vowed to hold hearings, and the Naderite Public Citizen lobby is already calling for a constitutional amendment that bans free speech for "for-profit corporations." Liberalism's bullying tendencies are never more on display than when its denizens are at war with the speech rights of its opponents.

Perhaps one day the Court will go even further and overturn Buckley v. Valeo, the 1976 decision that was its original sin in tolerating limits on campaign spending. The Court did yesterday uphold disclosure rules, so a sensible step now would be for Congress to remove all campaign-finance limits subject only to immediate disclosure on the Internet. Citizens United is in any event a bracing declaration that Congress's long and misbegotten campaign-finance crusade has reached a Constitutional dead end.

Printed in The Wall Street Journal, page A18

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: pizzaboy] #565793
01/22/10 05:18 PM
01/22/10 05:18 PM
California

California
Ok, so I'm trying to understand how this is good. So it's not true then that the company/persons who has more money to pour into an election will NOT have an unfair advantage over whomever the other party is????? Or, to put it another way then, you all are saying that the right to spend money on an election trumps any idea of fair play to.

Btw, I'm not saying I am against this, but I am saying I don't understand it which is why I bought it up.
confused

TIS

Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #565802
01/22/10 06:34 PM
01/22/10 06:34 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
It's not a right to spend money. There is no such right embodied in the US Constitution's Bill of Rights. However, there is a right to speech embodied therein and when composing and ratifying the First amendment it was political speech that was foremost in mind.

Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: pizzaboy] #565804
01/22/10 06:50 PM
01/22/10 06:50 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

But it was right for him to f**k this woman for 8 1/2 years while he was married?? confused

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: Sicilian Babe] #565809
01/22/10 08:15 PM
01/22/10 08:15 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I believe in full unfettered political speech for people. I don't think that corporations are people or that money is speech.

Winter is Coming

Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: Lilo] #565831
01/23/10 02:54 PM
01/23/10 02:54 PM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

In a van down by the river!
Originally Posted By: Lilo
I believe in full unfettered political speech for people. I don't think that corporations are people or that money is speech.

I agree.

And Geoff, not taking pain meds because you wanna drink? Uhhh.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: Longneck] #565834
01/23/10 03:48 PM
01/23/10 03:48 PM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
Geoff, sorry to hear about all of your pain and trouble with the dentist, but I hope you're doing better.

Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: olivant] #565837
01/23/10 04:13 PM
01/23/10 04:13 PM
Graveyard
The Iceman Offline
Official BB Hitman
The Iceman  Offline
Official BB Hitman
Underboss
Graveyard
[quote=olivant
In any case, I support the ruling since it is consistent with the First amendment of the US Constitution which was, if anything, drafted and ratified to safeguard political speech. [/quote]

I support this ruling as well, before the SCOTUS rendered it's decision first amendment rights were being violated. And people saw nothing wrong with that. confused

Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: The Iceman] #565839
01/23/10 04:39 PM
01/23/10 04:39 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Court documents in Alaska show Bristol Palin, daughter of former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, is seeking child support from her ex-boyfriend Levi Johnston. CNN said Friday that Bristol Palin, 19, is seeking child support payments from Johnston in the amount of $1,750 a month for the care of their 1-year-old son Tripp.

Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: olivant] #565843
01/23/10 06:34 PM
01/23/10 06:34 PM
Graveyard
The Iceman Offline
Official BB Hitman
The Iceman  Offline
Official BB Hitman
Underboss
Graveyard
Court documents in Alaska show Bristol Palin, daughter of former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, is seeking child support from her ex-boyfriend Levi Johnston. CNN said Friday that Bristol Palin, 19, is seeking child support payments from Johnston in the amount of $1,750 a month for the care of their 1-year-old son Tripp.

He should've already been paying child support after all it's his kid as well. But going by what olivant posted it would seem to me that he's a dead beat dad.

But then again I do not know all the details.

Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: ginaitaliangirl] #565848
01/23/10 07:59 PM
01/23/10 07:59 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted By: Longneck
Geoff, not taking pain meds because you wanna drink? Uhhh.
Alcohol is a pain med tongue wink

Originally Posted By: ginaitaliangirl
Geoff, sorry to hear about all of your pain and trouble with the dentist, but I hope you're doing better.

Thanks, GG!

I haven't needed any meds the past couple days, thankfully. It doesn't really hurt any more, but I still cannot chew on it.

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: J Geoff] #565859
01/24/10 02:07 PM
01/24/10 02:07 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Iceman, it seems that this child has become a bargaining chip between Levi and the Palins. They say he's an irresponsible dad that won't pay for the child's support. He says that he won't pay because they won't allow him to see his son. This is very much turning into a "he said/she said" kind of thing.

Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: Sicilian Babe] #565861
01/24/10 02:15 PM
01/24/10 02:15 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

But it was right for him to f**k this woman for 8 1/2 years while he was married?? confused

Oh no, he's a piece of shit for sure. I just think it's healthier to let go and move on when you're in such a toxic relationship. Revenge doesn't benefit anyone in a case like this.

Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: pizzaboy] #565864
01/24/10 02:18 PM
01/24/10 02:18 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I don't know. It might make me feel a teensy bit better. lol

Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: Sicilian Babe] #565868
01/24/10 02:23 PM
01/24/10 02:23 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I don't know. It might make me feel a teensy bit better. lol

Okay, just a little lol.

Ooh, top of the page for Miss Babe.

Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: pizzaboy] #565910
01/24/10 05:35 PM
01/24/10 05:35 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Wal-Mart cutting 11,200 jobs at Sam’s Club. Amount is about ten percent of the staff at warehouse club retailer

NEW YORK - Wal-Mart Stores Inc. said Sunday it is cutting about 11,200 jobs at its Sam's Club warehouse division as it outsources in-store product sampling to marketing company Shopper Events in an effort to win more customers and boost lagging sales.

The terminations represent about 10 percent of the warehouse club operator's 110,000 staffers across its 600 stores. About 10,000 members of the demonstration department, most part-time workers, were let go. The company also cut its new business membership representative positions, affecting about 2 staffers per store, or about 1,200 staffers in total.

Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: olivant] #565933
01/24/10 11:13 PM
01/24/10 11:13 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY

I wonder how she came at that dollar amount?

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: Mignon] #565935
01/24/10 11:27 PM
01/24/10 11:27 PM
California

California
I don't know how it works in Alaska, but here in CA there's a formula they use taking into account both parties wages, children and the length of the marriage. Of course Levi and Bristol were never married, but for sure he'll still owe child support.

He was on Entertainment tonight or one of those shows just last week, and claims he's paid her about 40,000 all together so far. I don't know if it's true or not, but that's what he said. ohwell I do know he made something like 100,000 for posing in playboy. I'm sure he'll have to share profit.

TIS

Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #565940
01/25/10 01:24 AM
01/25/10 01:24 AM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
If anyone wants to seem me in a bra, which I'm sure none of you do except maybe J Geoff, there will be pictures of me on Facebook for one week after the Super Bowl IF the Saints lose. I have a bet with my stepdaughters boyfriend. It will be entertaining for family and friends no matter who wins. I just hope the Saints win lol

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: Blibbleblabble] #565945
01/25/10 02:14 AM
01/25/10 02:14 AM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
If anyone wants to seem me in a bra, which I'm sure none of you do except maybe J Geoff, there will be pictures of me on Facebook for one week after the Super Bowl IF the Saints lose. I have a bet with my stepdaughters boyfriend. It will be entertaining for family and friends no matter who wins. I just hope the Saints win lol
Yeah, you've got someone completely out of the loop with football willing to root for the Colts now. (Me.) tongue

And I'm sure Geoff will be, too. lol

Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: ginaitaliangirl] #565946
01/25/10 02:18 AM
01/25/10 02:18 AM
California

California
Why limit the photo to Facebook? Post it here o the BB. grin I hear Victoria Secrets is having a great sale on lace bras. lol

TIS

Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: ginaitaliangirl] #565949
01/25/10 03:03 AM
01/25/10 03:03 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted By: ginaitaliangirl
And I'm sure Geoff will be, too. lol

How'd I get this rep?? What, flash a penis around a few times and all of a sudden I wanna see Blib's boobs??? lol

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Random Post Whoring (2010) [Re: J Geoff] #565950
01/25/10 03:18 AM
01/25/10 03:18 AM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
I was just predicting you'd also be going for the Colts...and that, uh, it'd happen to work out you'd get to see BL in a bra?

Yeahh, that sounds good. whistle

Page 12 of 70 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 69 70

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull