GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (ChiTown, BarrettM), 299 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,611
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,098
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,664
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #563234
12/26/09 04:50 PM
12/26/09 04:50 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Kind of on the same subject ~ do any of your women scream out, "Oh, God", at the ultimate moment of togetherness, Mick?

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: SC] #563235
12/26/09 05:25 PM
12/26/09 05:25 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: SC
Kind of on the same subject ~ do any of your women scream out, "Oh, God", at the utimate moment of togetherness, Mick?

lol lol

SC, you sure have a way of lightening things up with your humor! clap

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Don Cardi] #563240
12/26/09 07:22 PM
12/26/09 07:22 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Faith is personal. It's not something to be judged and I certainly don't believe that anyone is going to heaven or hell for their beliefs. I think that we should all be try to be good to those that we share this planet with, despite the fact that some will inevitably get on our nerves.

I think that, believe in Him or not, the way that Jesus lived was pretty cool. He cared for others, he wanted to relieve their pain, he was humble, he was kind, loving and forgiving. Quite a legacy.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #563250
12/26/09 08:10 PM
12/26/09 08:10 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Exactly SB.

Last edited by olivant; 12/26/09 08:10 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: olivant] #563264
12/26/09 10:52 PM
12/26/09 10:52 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
I believe in God and the divinity of Christ. And it's not just a matter of faith. It encompasses faith and reason.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: klydon1] #563269
12/26/09 11:36 PM
12/26/09 11:36 PM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
I believe in spirituality and a creator/beginning. I don't really believe in religion. How can someone blindly follow one religion and then think the billions of other people are wrong with their religion? Like "I'm Christian and going to heaven, But you Catholics are screwed" Doesn't make any sense to me. Also I've seen how religion has blatantly told a bunch of people that their native culture is wrong and the way they've been living is a sin for thousands of years.

I do believe there is a lot more than what we just see around us. I admire the Earths perfect design and do believe it is due to a creator ( A God/infinite spirit etc)
I just really think religion is a massive turn off to people seeking some spiritual guidance. According to religion, I should go to hell cause I've had sex with women when I wasn't married to them. My daughter is a sin etc etc.
Why would this loving God, also condemn you to "hell" to spend eternity in pain and agony all because I didn't read a book that has been changed and chopped and misused for centuries....

I follow my own spirituality.

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: whisper] #563274
12/27/09 01:12 AM
12/27/09 01:12 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: whisper

Why would this loving God, also condemn you to "hell" to spend eternity in pain and agony all because I didn't read a book that has been changed and chopped and misused for centuries....

My answer is he wouldn't. While there are judgmental fundamentalists that believe and vocalize this sentiment, it is not the teaching of my faith that you are condemned. Unfortunately, much of the media outlets would like to discredit religion by taking fringe intolerant viewpoints and portraying it as mainstream.

Keep in mind that we are all sinners. There is nothing we can do to escape this fact, and it does not make us hypocrites for striving for the ideal. Redemption lies not with sin, but upon how we react to sin, our struggles. We are all going to fall along the path, but it's whether we get back up and help others up that will define our spiritual worth.

Your post was thoughtful and heartfelt.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: klydon1] #563277
12/27/09 01:43 AM
12/27/09 01:43 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Just a little side thought to this eternal debate.

To follow a religion and be good at it is like anything else in life - you have to practice and apply. You can't take snippets here and there or ala carte selections. You have to embrace the tenents of whatever faith you are inclined to follow. And to support Kly's explanation, you have to try to be good; try to change; try to be humble. After the Ten Commandments Jesus Christ added another one - love one another. Tough to argue with that one.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: MaryCas] #563289
12/27/09 01:42 PM
12/27/09 01:42 PM
Stewartstown, PA
V
VitoC Offline
Capo
VitoC  Offline
V
Capo
Stewartstown, PA
Originally Posted By: MaryCas
Just a little side thought to this eternal debate.

To follow a religion and be good at it is like anything else in life - you have to practice and apply. You can't take snippets here and there or ala carte selections. You have to embrace the tenents of whatever faith you are inclined to follow.

I don't agree with that. Many if not most Catholics in the U.S. are pro-choice on abortion and most use artificial birth control. Does that mean they're not legitimate Catholics?

And the whole idea that you have to embrace all aspects of a religion is largely a Western/Middle Eastern one. In the Far East, there are many people who combine elements of Shinto, Buddhism, Confucianism, etc.

Let me tell ya somethin my kraut mick friend!
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: MaryCas] #563293
12/27/09 02:26 PM
12/27/09 02:26 PM
Stewartstown, PA
V
VitoC Offline
Capo
VitoC  Offline
V
Capo
Stewartstown, PA
Originally Posted By: MaryCas
After the Ten Commandments Jesus Christ added another one - love one another. Tough to argue with that one.

To be honest, "love one another" seems pretty stupid to me. Love is not an act of will. You either love someone or you don't. You can't choose whether you do or not. I think it makes sense to say that people should respect each other's basic rights and treat each other decently. But a "commandment" to love seems nonsensical to me.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: VitoC] #563294
12/27/09 02:38 PM
12/27/09 02:38 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
VitoC, obviously you have strong beliefs against any god. That's fine. But I don't believe that you need to disparage the beliefs of others. Using words like "nonsensical" only makes you look intolerant.

There is no "11th Commandment". It was an expression. Jesus preached that we should care for one another. He didn't "command" that we love one another. He commanded very little. Jesus led by example.

While there are many tenets of the Catholic Church that I disagree with, I realize that the "Church" was created by men. Men are fallible. They aren't perfect. And the world has changed since its invention, and perhaps the Church doesn't try to keep up quickly enough for some. However, the teachings of Jesus referenced in my earlier post are as relevant now as they were then.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #563295
12/27/09 02:54 PM
12/27/09 02:54 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
VitoC, obviously you have strong beliefs against any god. That's fine. But I don't believe that you need to disparage the beliefs of others. Using words like "nonsensical" only makes you look intolerant.

I think him trying to disparage the beliefs of others is no more insulting that those who try to force their faith on non believers.

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Blibbleblabble] #563297
12/27/09 03:03 PM
12/27/09 03:03 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I agree. That's why I said that faith is personal. However, I have read several posts here that were rather disparaging towards believers, and I don't remember anyone posting anything that could remotely be considered forcing faith on others.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #563298
12/27/09 03:04 PM
12/27/09 03:04 PM
Stewartstown, PA
V
VitoC Offline
Capo
VitoC  Offline
V
Capo
Stewartstown, PA

I didn't mean to sound disparaging of anyone. If you look at what I said, you'll notice that I said that "to me" it sounds nonsensical. I didn't make a factual statement that it's nonsensical.

I'm strongly opposed to hostility or discrimination against anyone based on their religious beliefs. If other people respect mine, I respect theirs. But given that this is a thread where people are specifically talking about whether or not they believe in God and why, I don't think I said anything out of line. Sometimes, to say you believe something is stupid or nonsensical is the only way to honestly express how you feel about it. I didn't mean to imply that I have any hostility toward MaryCas or anyone else who holds those views. I don't.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: VitoC] #563299
12/27/09 03:08 PM
12/27/09 03:08 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Vito, perhaps I misinterpreted what you wrote; however, telling someone that what they believe is "nonsensical" or "stupid" is disparaging to me.

I am glad to hear that you believe in tolerance. There's little enough of it in this world.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #563300
12/27/09 03:27 PM
12/27/09 03:27 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Again, I return to the idea of substituting a belief in God for a belief in fairies at the bottom of the garden.

The latter believer will undoubtedly be judged by most as stupid and nonsensical.

When no more evidence for God exists than for fairies at the bottom of the garden, why shouldn't we hold it up to the same sort of rational scrutiny?

There's tolerance and there's bending-over-backwards liberalism that creates the sort of moderate environment in which fundamentalism and other more dangerous beliefs foster.

At the very least, a belief in a Grand Designer/Inventor/Maker is insidious.

Nobody has reasonably tackled or even tried to tackle some of my arguments in this thread.

Again, might we put this down to the notion that 'faith transcends all arguments on the contrary'?

Seems a bit of an intellectual cop-out to me. A faux pas if ever there was one. The unanswerable trump card. Balls.

That God 'works in mysterious ways' is no less a cop-out.

Why does God only exist to those who believe in him? Is he some sort of stubborn 'well if you don't want to be my friend you can fuck off' sort of moron?

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #563303
12/27/09 03:37 PM
12/27/09 03:37 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Quite frankly, I personally didn't reply to any of your posts or try to tackle anything that you said because what you wrote and the words you chose prove that you wouldn't listen anyway. So, what's the point? You've made up your mind. You obviously think of those that believe as mindless sheep. So, let us baa away.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #563305
12/27/09 03:46 PM
12/27/09 03:46 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Let's make it clear here that I'm against, and am attacking - even being disparaging toward - the notion of a God. By extension, though it's almost a different matter in itself, I'd also attack organised religion.

That doesn't mean I want to burn anybody at the stake, though; I could most probably sit with anyone who's posted in this thread and have an interesting conversation about life. We'd just perhaps have to steer away from religious matters. smile

One of my closest friends with whom I've made films calls himself a Catholic. I've said everything to him that I've written here.

I'm not sure if that amounts to 'I don't have to agree with what you say but I respect your right to say it,' because I don't really know what those sorts of statements mean.

To me, a belief in God is often representative of a wider intellectual crisis. If someone can believe in God, when there's so little if any rational argument in his favour, what else might they believe in matters of urgency?

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #563307
12/27/09 03:53 PM
12/27/09 03:53 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Quite frankly, I personally didn't reply to any of your posts or try to tackle anything that you said because what you wrote and the words you chose prove that you wouldn't listen anyway. So, what's the point? You've made up your mind. You obviously think of those that believe as mindless sheep. So, let us baa away.
I was writing my last post as you posted yours.

I'm not sure about the 'mindless sheep' thing; to a large extent, if pushed, I'd have to question why people would believe in a God without at least admitting to its essential silliness, like people do with other superstitions.

My vehemence is in response to the utter seriousness with which we are meant to treat theisms; why must 'God' endure science when the notion of a flat world and so many other naive beliefs rightly haven't?

That's not to say I don't have some sort of understanding of what might drive people to a belief in God, a belief in some Grand Other (whose image Man tellingly loaned his own) on whom we might project our neuroses and fears for comfort. Historically, it's actually been a clever survival mechanism; I just think it's extremely outdated. (Just as the Industrial Revolution was a vital part of the scientific and intellectual progression of mankind, but how the capitalists ought to be long dead.)

The question of why one might believe in God is not insignificant. Beyond familial indoctrination, that is.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #563310
12/27/09 04:08 PM
12/27/09 04:08 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Why do I believe in God? Because I believe that there are things in this world that are larger than Man. I believe that there are miracles. I felt life grow within me and I believe that only a God could make that happen. I felt both my grandmother and father's life slip away. At that moment, I saw them regain strength that they hadn't had in months and go on with a certain joy. I've spoken to a friend who had a near-fatal heart attack, and she described entering another world, only to be drawn back by her daughter's voice.

There are things that I have seen and have experienced that have convinced me that there is a guiding force to this life.

Is there some mathematical equation that I can provide to "prove" my beliefs? Can I show you photographs? Can I yank God out from behind a curtain? No. But I know what I know. That's MY brand of faith. It may not work for you or for anyone else. But it works for me.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #563312
12/27/09 04:19 PM
12/27/09 04:19 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Wouldn't you be interested in accounting for those recoveries with medical and scientific explanations, though? Does the belief that God saved your parents undermine the tremendous work of the doctors, or the amazing (even 'mysterious') complexity of the human body?

As for 'other world' experiences, they'll have to remain unexplained to everyone - including those who apparently experienced them, since again there's no rational reason to account for them with 'God'. I'd be very interested if anyone's ever had an 'other world' experience without even having had God or an afterlife as part of their social world, their upbringing; in other words, in a Godless world, where God is not a large part of the society the person lives in, would a dying person ever experience an 'other world'?

Or:

Why did I dream of Wine Gums last night after craving for them all day? Would I have dreamed of Wine Gums had I never laid my eyes on them before in my life?

(I too think there are things larger than man's intellectual capacities; but I think accounting for such things with 'God' forever makes them stagnant, non-progressive. Which is why theism essentially and inherently contradicts the scientific endeavour of mankind.)

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #563313
12/27/09 04:51 PM
12/27/09 04:51 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Capo, you definatley right now need a one-hand applause. smile

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #563314
12/27/09 05:05 PM
12/27/09 05:05 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
No, you misunderstood. My father and grandmother DIDN'T recover. They died. And in the moments before death, they experienced a surge of strength and a joy that is inexplicable. I was pregnant when my father died, and I felt terrible that he didn't live to see my second child born. After I gave birth, my father came to see me. Some might say that it was the morphine, but he was there. I know it. I don't know what world he crossed to be there, but he was THERE. And I believe that God sent him.

However, my mother and I are both cancer survivors. Science? Of course. And I believe that God guided those doctors in their endeavors. I also believe the amazing complexities of the human body is further proof of God. We are incredible creatures, and I believe that we had a creator.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #563316
12/27/09 06:03 PM
12/27/09 06:03 PM
Stewartstown, PA
V
VitoC Offline
Capo
VitoC  Offline
V
Capo
Stewartstown, PA
One reason why I don't believe in God is that I don't think there's any need for a God. Many people look at the universe, human beings, and other complex things and think that these couldn't have come into being without a God. But to me, this just substitutes one mystery for another. The question then becomes: where did God come from? Such a powerful creator would itself call for an explanation as to why it exists. Because of this, I end up concluding that not everything has to have a cause--that even complicated things can exist on their own without a creator.

Often, people point to positive things--people with illnesses recovering or improving, people being motivated to be medical researchers or help others in other ways--as being evidence of God's power at work. But if God (at least an all powerful God) is going to be credited with the amazingly good things that take place, wouldn't he ("it" might be a better pronoun) also have to be blamed for the bad things as well--for example, for making Hitler want to do what he did, and for all the horrible diseases that exist?

In addition, even if there is a God, I don't see a clear reason why God would be morally good. As human history makes abundantly clear, power doesn't equal goodness.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: VitoC] #563320
12/27/09 06:45 PM
12/27/09 06:45 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Capo, while I fully understand you think God and organized religion is absurd, can you at least acknowledge that religion can be a good thing for people?

One of the receiving dock workers at a regular delivery stop of mine has his desk covered with religious verses, crosses, a bible, etc... and he always says "God bless" when I leave. I've since talked with him about that over the years and it turns out he got himself into a lot of trouble as a young man with gangs. While in prison he got hooked up with some sort of program that brought him to Christianity and it's what drives him now. It changed his life and he now uses it to speak with other young men in gangs in an attempt to save their lives before they end up dead or in prison.

I know you can make the argument that non believers can also change people's lives for the good. You can also argue that religious people can blindly follow their faith and use it to make themselves feel better than others. There are good and bad people in any walk of life and religion is no different.

I'm saying alot to basically make the point that the idea of a higher power is comforting for a lot of people and it helps them cope with daily life. It can even help them do good in the world for others. And if it's a positive thing then why knock it? If I meet someone who is doing charity work dressed like a fairy I might think it's odd, but will commend them for helping others.

Okay, I'm ready for your response to make me look stupid tongue

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: whisper] #563326
12/27/09 08:12 PM
12/27/09 08:12 PM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline OP
Underboss
Danito  Offline OP
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: whisper
I admire the Earths perfect design and do believe it is due to a creator ( A God/infinite spirit etc).

Do you believe that this perfect creator is due to a creator?

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #563329
12/27/09 08:25 PM
12/27/09 08:25 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
Why does God only exist to those who believe in him?

[I believe that] He exists, period, whether one believes or not. He believes in you, and exists for you; what you do (or don't do) with that is up to you. wink

The earth was round forever, while most everyone thought it was flat. No one had to prove it was round, it was always round.

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: J Geoff] #563334
12/27/09 09:02 PM
12/27/09 09:02 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
As I posted above, God's existence is not a function of one's belief in God. God either exists or does not exist. Religion on the other hand is a function of what requirements a believer thinks a God imposes on them. Those requirements vary by religious sect and encompas the scope of human behavior. I side with those Board members who view belief in God or religion as a generally good thing. The reason some Board members disparage belief in God or one's adherence to religion probably has deeper roots than just an expository on this Board.

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: olivant] #563338
12/27/09 09:22 PM
12/27/09 09:22 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Originally Posted By: olivant
As I posted above, God's existence is not a function of one's belief in God. God either exists or does not exist.

But if it's not about belief then why would any believe? As Capo has stated, there's no more proof of God than there is a flying spaghetti monster. So belief, or faith, has to be a factor.

I personally believe there are flying spaghetti monsters in space. I didn't before, but that's only because I'd never heard of them until this thread. I love the idea, so I now have faith that some where in the universe they exist. And why not? grin

Re: Do you believe in (a) God? [Re: Blibbleblabble] #563341
12/27/09 09:48 PM
12/27/09 09:48 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Madonne! If you never existed, either flying spaghetti monsters would exist or they would not exist.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull