GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DanteMoltisanti, 1 invisible), 273 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,541
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,998
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,514
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,361
Posts1,059,221
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 18 19
Boardwalk Empire #559327
11/04/09 09:25 AM
11/04/09 09:25 AM
Australia
M
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica Offline OP
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica  Offline OP
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
This just has to be awesome. At least, it has the potential to be awesome. Its a new series coming on HBO, based on a book.
Check it:
http://boardwalkempire.com/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0979432/

Created by Terrence Winter with the pilot directed by Martin Scorsese. Steve Buscemi has a major role. The next link is the present casting and and FAQ.

http://boardwalkempire.com/boardwalk-empire-update/

Mmmmm. COuld be good. Could be real good. Capone and Lucky Luciano are characters, for petes sake. Late 2010, apparently.

(cough.)
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #581229
09/17/10 08:05 PM
09/17/10 08:05 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
bump

because the series debuts this Sunday September 19,2010

was gonna create a thread about it but searched first and found this

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: getthesenets] #581234
09/18/10 01:54 AM
09/18/10 01:54 AM
stevapalooza Offline
Button
stevapalooza  Offline
Button
Yeah this looks really good. Hope it lives up to the hype

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: stevapalooza] #581241
09/18/10 06:32 AM
09/18/10 06:32 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
It will be a while before it hits the UK shores but i have seen the clips and it looks good.

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #581242
09/18/10 06:46 AM
09/18/10 06:46 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Here's a review. It says that Buscemi is slightly miscast and that the series is good but not great. (Shrugs) I'll watch and decide for myself.

On the eve of St. Patrick’s Day 1920 the city treasurer in Atlantic City is busy finessing Prohibition, but his brother, the sheriff, is focused on delivering a speech to the Ancient Order of the Celts. He brandishes a pamphlet he picked up in a course at the Y.M.C.A.: “Public Speaking and Influencing Men in Business” by Dale Carnagey.

Long before he wrote “How to Win Friends and Influence People,” Dale Carnegie published advice under his real name, Carnagey. That kind of historical fastidiousness runs throughout “Boardwalk Empire,” a new series beginning Sunday on HBO about bootleggers at the dawn of the Jazz Age. It’s a period drama with an irresistible pedigree: Terence Winter, a lead writer of “The Sopranos,” created it, and Martin Scorsese, one of its executive producers, directed the first episode.

As is Mr. Scorsese’s wont, the attention to detail, like the cinematography, is lavish, exquisite and unswerving. It is also a little constricting. In the first few episodes, characters adhere so carefully to type they trip into caricature. Accuracy isn’t always the same as plausibility; imagined history can sometimes be more persuasive than fact.

“Boardwalk Empire” is a well conceived, beautifully made series that has every reason to be great. Who doesn’t want to watch rum runners and gangsters on HBO? Yet, surprisingly, given the extraordinary talent and money behind it, “Boardwalk Empire” falls short....

NYT Review of Boardwalk Empire

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Lilo] #581250
09/18/10 10:19 AM
09/18/10 10:19 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
I quess the 1929 Atlantic City meeting also takes place in the serie?

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Sonny_Black] #581272
09/18/10 04:28 PM
09/18/10 04:28 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

I don't know how far ahead the series goes in time. ohwell It does have Capone in it so it must go to at least 1925. I think it starts in 1920...

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Lilo] #581320
09/20/10 12:34 AM
09/20/10 12:34 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

So... what did everyone think? I think so far so good! Love Buscemi. cool

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: J Geoff] #581322
09/20/10 05:28 AM
09/20/10 05:28 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I liked the attention to detail with advertising and clothing.
Buscemi plays "irritation" very well.

Winter is Coming

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Lilo] #581350
09/20/10 04:03 PM
09/20/10 04:03 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
The soundtrack drove me nuts. Is Buscemi's character historical or a fiction?

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: olivant] #581354
09/20/10 04:33 PM
09/20/10 04:33 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: olivant
The soundtrack drove me nuts. Is Buscemi's character historical or a fiction?

It's historical fiction. They changed the last name from Johnson to Thompson and Buscemi is much smaller than the real life Nucky. But he was the political power in Atlantic City during the twenties and one of the most powerful political figures in NJ during that time.

Winter is Coming

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Lilo] #581368
09/20/10 07:55 PM
09/20/10 07:55 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
In Luciano's "autobiography" he describes a scene in which Nucky and Capone got into a heated argument that verged on getting physical. Capone was upset that the top line Atlantic City hotel (Breakers) was exclusive to WASP's only. When hotel management saw the decidedly non-Anglo looking Capone, King Solomon and other attendees at the conference, they scornfully refused them all entrance. Capone blamed Nucky. Luciano said Nucky picked Al up, threw him in the car and led the motorcade to the Ritz, which evidently had a more open booking policy.

Winter is Coming

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Lilo] #581369
09/20/10 08:07 PM
09/20/10 08:07 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
I saw the 30 minute "making of clip"....Scorcese mentioned that they originally wanted to build the boardwalk( and film) in NJ....but NJ politicians being the way they are(then and now) it didn't happen.

I swear the only place that trumps NJ in terms of corrupt and inept politicians is the state of Illinois.

I wonder what the total loss of revenue was for the Garden State by lallygagging when HBO approached with the proposal/idea.

bad enough that state lost out on federal money for education by incorrectly filling out some forms....

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Lilo] #581377
09/20/10 11:17 PM
09/20/10 11:17 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: Lilo
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

I don't know how far ahead the series goes in time. ohwell It does have Capone in it so it must go to at least 1925. I think it starts in 1920...

Nucky Johnson was the undisputed boss of AC. But he was a big fish in a little pond. AC never had more than 60k residents, and while it was a "pleasure dome," with plenty of money to be made from booze, whores and gambling, it was no Chicago or New York.

There was no big meeting of Johnson with Luciano, Colosimo, Torrio, Capone and Rothstein in 1920. Never happened. Colosimo was whacked in 1920 in part because he didn't see the profit potential of Prohibition. Capone's latest biographer, Laurence Bergreen, says Capone wasn't even with Torrio in 1920. Luciano was a freelance drug dealer and gambling game operator in 1920. In any event, the Chicago Outfit didn't need to get its booze from AC--it got booze via local distillers and rumrunning over the Great Lakes.

There was a big gangster convention in AC in 1929, hosted by Johnson. But he was the host, not the arbiter. Torrio and Capone were there. Rothstein wasn't there--he was dead by that time. Meyer Lansky, Bugsy Siegel, Moe Dalitz, Charlien Luciano, Joe Adonis and Frank Costello formed the "Big Six," controlling all booze in the East through Ohio. Since the meeting followed the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, onee of the major outcomes was that the attendees strongly advised Capone to lower his profile, lest the heat he generated via the massacre fall out on them. Capone arranged to have himself arrested for carrying a gun in Philadelphia after the convention, and spent a year in a PA prison while things cooled down in Chicago.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Turnbull] #581396
09/21/10 09:59 AM
09/21/10 09:59 AM
T
Tyler_Durden Offline
Made Member
Tyler_Durden  Offline
T
Made Member
I thought it was very good,looking forward to the next episode.
Just like HBO's other production,ROME,the focus seems to be less on historical accuracy and more on recreating the feeling of the respective era,which isn't a bad thing as long as the finished product is good.
Now for a question:
There's a scene where Capone and Jimmy Darmody(sp?) were outside talking about Rothstein and Luciano's fortunes,and Capone mentions that Luciano "did 6 months for pushing heroin a couple o'years back".There's a short moment of awkwardness when Darmody asks "only 6 months?" before Capone answers that "he bought a judge" and suspiciously looks at Darmody.
The implication here is that Luciano ratted to get a shorter sentence.I've heard about his before.Was it actually proven that he ratted or is it just a rumor?

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Tyler_Durden] #581397
09/21/10 10:22 AM
09/21/10 10:22 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: Tyler_Durden
I thought it was very good,looking forward to the next episode.
Just like HBO's other production,ROME,the focus seems to be less on historical accuracy and more on recreating the feeling of the respective era,which isn't a bad thing as long as the finished product is good.
Now for a question:
There's a scene where Capone and Jimmy Darmody(sp?) were outside talking about Rothstein and Luciano's fortunes,and Capone mentions that Luciano "did 6 months for pushing heroin a couple o'years back".There's a short moment of awkwardness when Darmody asks "only 6 months?" before Capone answers that "he bought a judge" and suspiciously looks at Darmody.
The implication here is that Luciano ratted to get a shorter sentence.I've heard about his before.Was it actually proven that he ratted or is it just a rumor?

I don't think it was ever proven. I'm not sure about the timeline and don't have the texts in front of me now to look it up. But my understanding was that when Luciano was 18 he did 6 mths in "reformatory"-not sure whether this was "real" prison or not and that he didn't enjoy it one little bit. In his autobiography he wrote that when he got out that he told people to start calling him "Charles" or "Charlie" instead of Salvatore, which the other inmates had shortened to "Sally". The implication was that Lucky had to deal with what every young good looking slightly built boy had to deal with in prison. sick Obviously the autobiography didn't go any further.

Shortly after that he got busted for another crime (unsure of details) and told police of where they could find a packet of heroin. According to Luciano, he arranged for the heroin to be there and no other mobsters were harmed by this. whistle

That seems unlikely but it also seems unlikely that other mobsters on the way up would have dealt closely with or followed a person they really believed was a rat. Maybe other members have better details...

Winter is Coming

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Lilo] #581416
09/21/10 02:21 PM
09/21/10 02:21 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

The show has already been renewed for a second season -- after one airing! cool

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Lilo] #581423
09/21/10 02:48 PM
09/21/10 02:48 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Quote:

I don't think it was ever proven. I'm not sure about the timeline and don't have the texts in front of me now to look it up.

According to Luciano's most recent bigrapher, Tim Newark, Luciano did indeed make a deal with the law. He gave up the location of an apartment on the lower east side with a considerable amount of heroin in it, and this is part of public record. But he supposedly didn't give up any names, which really can't ever be verified at this point. So that's why the rumors persist.

It should be pointed out that Luciano never hesitated to help himself later in life when it came to helping the government (namely the war effort, but there have been plenty of whispers about other things). He really hated jail.

FYI: I just finished the Tim Newark book, "Lucky Luciano: The Real and the Fake Gangster," and I highly recommend it, corny title and all smile.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: pizzaboy] #581429
09/21/10 03:39 PM
09/21/10 03:39 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Was Colosimo Torrio's uncle by blood or just marriage?

Winter is Coming

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: J Geoff] #581486
09/22/10 02:46 PM
09/22/10 02:46 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: J Geoff

The show has already been renewed for a second season -- after one airing! cool

The "Empire" is growing.

HBO's Prohibition drama "Boardwalk Empire" has been renewed for a second season after only one episode, bolstered by great reviews and even greater numbers.

"The response from the media and our viewers has been nothing short of amazing," said network president Michael Lombardo in a statement.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: olivant] #581506
09/23/10 10:54 AM
09/23/10 10:54 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
I've seen the first episode and I really enjoyed it. It was well directed (but what else do you expect from Scorsese himself), although I must agree with that Buscemi was slightly miscast as Enoch Johnson as he don't really look like him. But his acting was very good, so only his looks bother me. I'm really looking forward to seeing the rest of the serie, can't wait!

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Sonny_Black] #581644
09/26/10 10:17 AM
09/26/10 10:17 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I didn't realize there was a thread already and I originally posted this in the movie/tv thread:

I just watched Boardwalk Empire last night. While it was on at 10:00 and I was half asleep, I did find it pretty good. It was the pilot episode which I think is the only one that's aired thus far no??

I don't know the characters names (aside from the main character) but it sure brings us back to what although is not that far back in our history, an interesting era.

I too find the setting and backdrop of the 1920's to appear so authentic. Not that I was around during that time mind you, tongue but it does seem so believable. I'm thinking perhaps it's because of Scorsese's direction it appears so well-done. I like to look at little background details smile .

Edit to add:

Since I was half asleep the first time I saw it again yesterday afternoon and enjoyed it even more. There were a couple things I missed.....Like Al Capone AND I must have been dozing when they killed that POS wife abuser. I still love the setting. It seems to take you there. smile

One thing I hate about HBO shows though is......will we have to wait a freekin' year or longer between seasons? rolleyes

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 09/26/10 10:18 AM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #581650
09/26/10 11:34 AM
09/26/10 11:34 AM
T
Tyler_Durden Offline
Made Member
Tyler_Durden  Offline
T
Made Member
Thanks for the answers about Luciano,guys!

Saw the previews for the second episode on the HBO site.Looks like things are really heating up between Nucky and Rothstein...looking forward to it.

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Tyler_Durden] #581782
09/28/10 02:14 PM
09/28/10 02:14 PM
California

California
Did anyone watch the second episode???? It's kind of good no?????? confused I intend to watch next week.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #581784
09/28/10 02:18 PM
09/28/10 02:18 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this, but maybe as it progresses and we learn character names, etc. I think it's great, and interesting to see how a city 40 minutes away from me was during that era. (Truthfully, I had no idea!)

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #581785
09/28/10 02:21 PM
09/28/10 02:21 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Yes I watched the second episode. It was good. With the exception of Ron Pearlman, I can't think of another actor who does "world weary" or "irritated" as well as Buscemi does.

In the second episode we got to see more of Capone and his temper, how Nucky makes his money and how corruption can get a hold of some people.

Winter is Coming

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Lilo] #581798
09/28/10 02:43 PM
09/28/10 02:43 PM
California

California
Lilo,

Isn't the guy who plays Capone quite short??? Was Capone a short guy?? I don't know who the actor is, and like you say we are just now seeing more of him. He seems like a good Capone, but to me he comes across as very short.
ohwell

TIS

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #581810
09/28/10 03:00 PM
09/28/10 03:00 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Lilo,

Isn't the guy who plays Capone quite short??? Was Capone a short guy?? I don't know who the actor is, and like you say we are just now seeing more of him. He seems like a good Capone, but to me he comes across as very short.
ohwell
TIS

Good catch!

Capone was 5-10, which is average height now, but was considered tall back in the 1920's. He was also beefy which is probably why he was also called the Big Fellow.

The actor playing Capone, Stephen Graham , is 5-5, which is notably short and was probably short even back in the 1920's. So (pun intended) it's a bit of a stretch, but I think he captures the character's pugnacity and relative fearlessness pretty well.

Winter is Coming

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Lilo] #581815
09/28/10 03:45 PM
09/28/10 03:45 PM
California

California
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Lilo,

ohwell
TIS

Good catch!

Capone was 5-10, which is average height now, but was considered tall back in the 1920's. He was also beefy which is probably why he was also called the Big Fellow.

The actor playing Capone, Stephen Graham , is 5-5, which is notably short and was probably short even back in the 1920's. So (pun intended) it's a bit of a stretch, but I think he captures the character's pugnacity and relative fearlessness pretty well.

Ha ha ha...He IS short. But, I do agree, from the short scenes he's had, I don't have a problem picturing him as Capone.

As far as the Nucky character, I can't tell what his motive is being "nice" to the wife of the now deceased wife beater. For some reason, I'm not quite use to Buscemi in a leading role, since I've basically only have seen him in the Sopranos. ohwell

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 09/28/10 03:48 PM.

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #581879
09/29/10 10:33 AM
09/29/10 10:33 AM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Forgive my tardiness to this post/show. Personally, I love Boardwalk Empire! Even with the minor historic innaccuracies, I find it very well written and performed. I especially love the Chicago/Capone/Tessio/Colosimo aspect. (Butch from Sopranos as Torrio!) The "birth" of Chicago's Mob is rooted in hookers, blackmail, unions and gambling but the the boost it got from bootlegging brought it to the next level. Love it!

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 18 19

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull