GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 66 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,164
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,387
Posts1,059,819
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Vito - a product of Dale Carnegie? #534828
03/19/09 09:12 AM
03/19/09 09:12 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline OP
Underboss
Danito  Offline OP
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
I believe that it's this contrast Virtue vs. Crime that makes the novel so attractive. In a way this had been mentioned before in a similar way in the Management consultant thread .

Anyway, here's what I think how Puzo created the Vito character. I'm pretty sure that Puzo had read Dale Carnegie's "How to win friends and influence people". Perhaps a similar "How to"-book, but I'm pretty sure it's this one.
Before he started writing the novel, Puzo must have thought: What kind of character could be the most unlikely person to lead a virtuous life like it's being described in "How to win friends". A gangster. Well, not some kind of gangster, it must be a gangster boss. The boss of the bosses. The Godfather.
How would a gangster boss behave if he observes these kind of rules. Never threaten anyone, alway reason. On the other hand: coldly deciding about life and death.
(Sometimes it sounds almost ridiculous how Puzo describes Vito: "one of his many virtues was punctuality".)
And of course, Puzo had the advantage of knowing the values of Italian immigrants. ("He was notoriously straitlaced in matters of sex.")
Some of Carnegie's principles that I find in Vito
- Become genuinely interested in other people.
- Don't criticize, condemn or complain.
- Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves.
- Talk in terms of the other person's interests.
- Make the other person feel important - and do it sincerely.
- Show respect for the other person's opinions. Never say, "You're wrong."
- Begin in a friendly way.
- Get the other person saying "yes, yes" immediately.
- Try honestly to see things from the other person's point of view.
- Be sympathetic with the other person's ideas and desires.
- Appeal to the nobler motives.
- Ask questions instead of giving direct orders.
- Let the other person save face.

Opinions?

Re: Vito - a product of Dale Carnegie? [Re: Danito] #534894
03/19/09 09:19 PM
03/19/09 09:19 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Well, Danito, I looked up Dale Carnegie's Nine Principles. Here's how I think Vito stacked up:

1. Don't criticize, condemn, or complain. I don't think Sonny would agree that Vito followed that principle.
2. Give honest, sincere appreciation. Telling Tom, after Sonny's murder, that he'd been a good son, was sincere. Thanking Barzini for helping to set up the Don's convention may not have been all that sincere.
3. Arouse in the other person an eager want. I believe he went overboard in arousing Sollozzo's want of his police/political contacts.
4. Become genuinely interested in other people. Johnny Fontaine was definitely a beneficiary.
5. Smile. Michael should have followed that one.
6. Remember that a person's name is to that person the sweetest and most important sound in any language. Right: "Nazorine, my friend, what can I do for you?"
7. Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves. Puzo (in the Don's convention scene) said all the Dons shared that attribute.
8. Talk in terms of the other person's interests. I'd go so far as to say Carnegie might have written that after hearing Vito say, "I'll make him an offer he can't refuse."
9. Make the other person feel important - and do it sincerely. Luca definitely would have agreed.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Vito - a product of Dale Carnegie? [Re: Turnbull] #534958
03/20/09 06:25 PM
03/20/09 06:25 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Yes, this is a good comparison. What made Vito "special" was his ability and honest desire to work out "win-win" situations and settle things without violence.

I think in the book that Vito is described as having a reputation of more a parliamentary debator than a true Mafioso when he proposed a merger with Maranzano.

Of course Maranzano discovered too late that there was also another side to Vito.

But Vito's abilities to inspire and command personal loyalties through the tactics discussed was to me preferable than the extortion of such loyalties shown by Michael in the second movie.

"He always made sure the other fellow got his share of profit".

This is why I think Vito prospered as both a criminal lord and a political fixer/overseer. Within certain guidelines, he was fair. People responded to that.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Vito - a product of Dale Carnegie? [Re: Lilo] #534983
03/21/09 06:39 AM
03/21/09 06:39 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline OP
Underboss
Danito  Offline OP
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
So do you guys believe that Puzo had read Carnegie?

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull