GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 47 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,105
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,680
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 24 of 95 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 94 95
Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #534985
03/21/09 09:52 AM
03/21/09 09:52 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I think that President Obama should take the $101,000 that he received in campaign contributions from AIG and donate it to The Special Olympics.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Don Cardi] #534986
03/21/09 10:15 AM
03/21/09 10:15 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
I think that President Obama should take the $101,000 that he received in campaign contributions from AIG and donate it to The Special Olympics.

I think President Bush BELONGS in The Special Olympics tongue.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: pizzaboy] #534987
03/21/09 10:27 AM
03/21/09 10:27 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I was being totally serious in my original post because I think that it was horrible that the President made an analogy like that on national television. But at least he had class enough to admit that what he said was wrong and apologize.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Don Cardi] #534995
03/21/09 12:33 PM
03/21/09 12:33 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I was being totally serious in my original post because I think that it was horrible that the President made an analogy like that on national television. But at least he had class enough to admit that what he said was wrong and apologize.

And I was being serious when I implied that Bush is a fucking retard.

But it's true. That was a terrible thing for Obama to say. Usually politicians train themselves not to comment "off-the-cuff" like that. I think being on the Tonight Show lowered his guard a little. I don't think the appearance was a wise choice for him at all. It just adds to the idea that he's too impressed with Hollywood and being a star.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: pizzaboy] #535002
03/21/09 01:52 PM
03/21/09 01:52 PM
Chicago Underworld
Frank_Nitti Offline
"The Enforcer"
Frank_Nitti  Offline
"The Enforcer"
Underboss
Chicago Underworld
I'd love to hang out with he AND G-dub, play some Tiger Woods Golf on X-box, and we can "break balls" and make all the smart-ass, acrimonious, jerk-off frat boy jokes that we want, and we'll have a great time. rolleyes wink

Ok? But when you're basically the President of the WORLD, you can't act like a typical smart-ass, shallow American. Which I guarantee you is what a lot of ppl around the globe think. I mean, Iknow he's a smart guy, but maybe he's not quite so academic, or, "analytically inclined" as people have given him credit for. wink

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Frank_Nitti] #535042
03/21/09 06:58 PM
03/21/09 06:58 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Nitti -

While I was totally disgusted at his analogy, and agree somewhat that his going on the Leno show only adds to the notion that some have that he is intruiged with the hollywood glitz and glamour and enjoys the spotlight, I do not agree with those who say that he is not an educated man. I think that he is a very educated man, a smart man in many ways. I also think that sometimes he tries, just a little too hard, to give the appearance that he's just another regular Joe who can relate to the average working man / woman.

And in all fairness to our President, his slip-up, stupid remark, or whatever you want to call it only goes to show that even people in his position, of his stature, let their guard down at times and make dumb mistakes. When push comes ot shove he's only human.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Don Cardi] #535051
03/21/09 08:50 PM
03/21/09 08:50 PM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Nitti -

While I was totally disgusted at his analogy, and agree somewhat that his going on the Leno show only adds to the notion that some have that he is intruiged with the hollywood glitz and glamour and enjoys the spotlight, I do not agree with those who say that he is not an educated man. I think that he is a very educated man, a smart man in many ways. I also think that sometimes he tries, just a little too hard, to give the appearance that he's just another regular Joe who can relate to the average working man / woman.

And in all fairness to our President, his slip-up, stupid remark, or whatever you want to call it only goes to show that even people in his position, of his stature, let their guard down at times and make dumb mistakes. When push comes ot shove he's only human.

My respect for this comment, DC.

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Danito] #535067
03/22/09 12:34 AM
03/22/09 12:34 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Oh, goodness gracious. It's a comedy show. He was being self-deprecating, and I doubt that he meant anything mean by it. Tell me one person who honestly has not made a joke like that!!! EVER?? And if you say you haven't, then you'd be lying.

As for the President? Yes, he should be held to a higher standard and it was told on national TV. Was I disgusted? No. And I wouldn't have been if anyone said it. Even Governor Paterson thought people were making too much of it and offered to give President Obama some bowling lessons!

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Sicilian Babe] #535070
03/22/09 12:41 AM
03/22/09 12:41 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Cardi is still on his witch hunt.

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: SC] #535078
03/22/09 01:00 AM
03/22/09 01:00 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
He is NOT. There were a lot of people who took offense to what the President said. Personally, I'm not one of them. That doesn't mean it wasn't offensive. I just feel that with the country in shambles, we have more things to worry about than being PC.

As for his appearance, I think it goes back to what people were saying in this thread earlier. The President needs to project more confidence in the country and in the economy. This was just another way to reach out to the people, to give a confident and relaxed appearance, joking with Leno. I heard it called the new millennium's version of FDR's Fireside Chat.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Sicilian Babe] #535084
03/22/09 01:20 AM
03/22/09 01:20 AM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
He is NOT. There were a lot of people who took offense to what the President said. Personally, I'm not one of them. That doesn't mean it wasn't offensive. I just feel that with the country in shambles, we have more things to worry about than being PC.

I didn't take offense either. I don't think any different towards the man, but I understand why people would be upset. I agree that during these times, with the country in shambles, being PC isn't that important. But I think it is important to be politically correct when it comes to the completely helpless.

He should have known better, whether on a comedy show or not.

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Blibbleblabble] #535106
03/22/09 10:51 AM
03/22/09 10:51 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I won't speak for Cardi or the BBers here, but gnerally, YES this is a witch hunt. I heard the comment and, I admit, I laughed. I took it has self-deprecating humor (as I'm sure it was intended). A lot of media/politicians IMHO are displaying phony outrage plain and simple. They have no solutions to our many crises and would rather slam Obama. To those few who were truly offended, accept Obama's apology. I seriously doubt he meant to offend anyone. As a matter of fact, I heard he is proposes millions to special education in his new budget.

Btw, we get bashed for even mentioning King Bush here, BUT where the hell was all the outrage for his multiple "more than minor" gaffes? rolleyes I'll be glad to start a separate thread on that, but nooooooooo That's off limits. To quote a judge who was presiding in a ridiculous lawsuit someone filed doubting Obmas's citizenship, "Obama won, get over it."

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 03/22/09 11:00 AM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #535110
03/22/09 11:28 AM
03/22/09 11:28 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
First of all, the country is not in shambles. Second, humorous references abound about all kinds of things, even those voiced by Presidents. Humor is meant to be understood in the context in which it is presented and by the person who presents it. Certainly, on a talk show which prides itself on its humor and by president Obama should be understood for what it was.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: SC] #535118
03/22/09 12:29 PM
03/22/09 12:29 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: SC
Cardi is still on his witch hunt.

tongue lol

Don Cardi cool

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: olivant] #535135
03/22/09 03:26 PM
03/22/09 03:26 PM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

Originally Posted By: olivant
Certainly, on a talk show which prides itself on its humor and by president Obama should be understood for what it was.

I work with disabled people and it was not a humorous statement.

It was a slip of the tongue and never should have been said.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Longneck] #535143
03/22/09 05:16 PM
03/22/09 05:16 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Obama should be impeached!!!1!

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Blibbleblabble] #535447
03/25/09 07:24 PM
03/25/09 07:24 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Former Senator from Tenn. Fred Thompson now hosts the talk show time slot previously occupied by O'Reilly. He opined that Obama couldn't go on any longer claiming that the economic downturn was Bush's, that the economy now belonged to Obama.

Given that, I wonder if he and other talk show hosts will give Obama ownership of any economic recovery.

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: olivant] #535526
03/26/09 06:33 PM
03/26/09 06:33 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Painful Changes

The President's latest statements about the auto industry are NOT going over well locally. I work in that industry so I am definitely biased but I really don't think the President's statements show that he gets it.

US automakers have been laying US workers off by the thousands. Costs have been slashed to the bone. Unions have been decimated. Salaries and benefits have been cut. Work has been outsourced to India, Mexico, China, the Phillipines, etc.. That outsourcing is accelerating in every arena.

Pensions and health care benefits for retirees have been reduced or eliminated -ignoring the promises that were made.
Michigan has a 12% unemployment rate in large part because of all the "painful changes". The rare new hires at auto supply companies are making $12-14/hr with few or no benefits.

Compuware just removed all of its people from Ford in a dispute over salary. Most of those people won't be hired back. GM is cutting hundreds this week alone. GM has said that there will be at least 3400 reductions among US salaried this year and a total of 47,000 employees cut in total. Another 7500 GM UAW workers are taking buyouts. My team's budget was slashed by over 60% compared to last year. Every team meeting we have our group VP tells us she doesn't know if she will be able to keep the entire team past mid year.

NO ONE in the auto industry whose name is not on the outside of the building has a safe job. Obama doesn't have a thing to tell anyone in the auto industry about "painful changes".

Even if everything he said was true , which it ISN'T, not by a long shot, where were his similar comments and tone directed to the financial industry which has sucked up in three months more federal tax dollars than the entire auto industry has even dreamed of asking for?

Talking about having taxpayer money chase after bad money when he is planning to spend even more billions if not TRILLIONS subsidizing banks is tone deaf in my opinion. The banks and insurance companies get whatever they want with no strings attached while the auto industry has to bow and scrape for peanuts.

I hope he succeeds as President but I definitely think he needs to find out what's really going on in the auto industry before making such seemingly cavalier statements.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Lilo] #535556
03/26/09 11:03 PM
03/26/09 11:03 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Originally Posted By: Lilo
Painful Changes

The President's latest statements about the auto industry are NOT going over well locally. I work in that industry so I am definitely biased but I really don't think the President's statements show that he gets it.

US automakers have been laying US workers off by the thousands. Costs have been slashed to the bone. Unions have been decimated. Salaries and benefits have been cut. Work has been outsourced to India, Mexico, China, the Phillipines, etc.. That outsourcing is accelerating in every arena.

Pensions and health care benefits for retirees have been reduced or eliminated -ignoring the promises that were made.
Michigan has a 12% unemployment rate in large part because of all the "painful changes". The rare new hires at auto supply companies are making $12-14/hr with few or no benefits.

Compuware just removed all of its people from Ford in a dispute over salary. Most of those people won't be hired back. GM is cutting hundreds this week alone. GM has said that there will be at least 3400 reductions among US salaried this year and a total of 47,000 employees cut in total. Another 7500 GM UAW workers are taking buyouts. My team's budget was slashed by over 60% compared to last year. Every team meeting we have our group VP tells us she doesn't know if she will be able to keep the entire team past mid year.

NO ONE in the auto industry whose name is not on the outside of the building has a safe job. Obama doesn't have a thing to tell anyone in the auto industry about "painful changes".

Even if everything he said was true , which it ISN'T, not by a long shot, where were his similar comments and tone directed to the financial industry which has sucked up in three months more federal tax dollars than the entire auto industry has even dreamed of asking for?

Talking about having taxpayer money chase after bad money when he is planning to spend even more billions if not TRILLIONS subsidizing banks is tone deaf in my opinion. The banks and insurance companies get whatever they want with no strings attached while the auto industry has to bow and scrape for peanuts.

I hope he succeeds as President but I definitely think he needs to find out what's really going on in the auto industry before making such seemingly cavalier statements.

Was that your post Lilo? Or from the article? If it's you, very well written...

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Blibbleblabble] #535569
03/27/09 05:04 AM
03/27/09 05:04 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble

Was that your post Lilo? Or from the article? If it's you, very well written...

Nope, Blib that was all me. Thanks.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Lilo] #535972
03/31/09 05:26 AM
03/31/09 05:26 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
If there is a turnaround or at least the hint of one by 2010, the President's actions and words yesterday concerning GM and Chrysler will be largely forgotten.

But if there isn't an economic bounceback by then or if GM/Chrysler fail while zombie banks continue to vacuum up taxpayer dollars some of the people here in Michigan are going to blame the President and the Democrats. And that we do not forgive. frown

Right-wing, left-wing , whatever many people in Michigan are deeply skeptical of the efficacy (or the legality) of firing Wagoner while financial bigwigs skate by.

Here's a take from a relatively right-wing columnist who normally I would disagree with. But I think he nails it here.

CEO-in-Chief

Winter is Coming

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Lilo] #535986
03/31/09 01:02 PM
03/31/09 01:02 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

The U.S. auto industry has been putting out crap for more than a generation. They have heavily marketed Trucks and SUV's of late and now that the era of Hummers is over they are begging for a bailout without accountability. More heads need to roll.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: dontomasso] #536029
04/01/09 06:36 AM
04/01/09 06:36 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Hi DT:

My point isn't that the US auto industry is a paradigm of unmatched quality. I don't believe that to be the case at all. I would suggest that with trucks and SUV's they were responding to consumer demand, though. But that's all irrelevant.

The issues with the Administration's latest moves are

1) By what right does the federal government take it upon itself to fire the head of a private company? There's no statute that allows the President to do that. His aides were talking about remaking the board of GM. Again, even if Obama's team were competent enough to do that, what gives them the right? Who else is eligible to be fired by the President?
What gives the President the right to dictate mergers?

2)The Administration appears to have a thinly disguised dislike of "old technologies" such as coal and internal combustion engines. Well fair enough. But there are millions of people that make their living through those technologies. It's not at all clear that American consumers want or will pay for "green" cars or will pay extra for electricity through cap-and-trade schemes. Either way it should be up to the consumer market to make those decisions, not the Administration.

3) In Michigan there is currently growing unity around the idea that the auto industry is getting the shaft while the banking industry is literally being wined and dined. For this to happen in a place as politically/racially/economically divided as Michigan is nothing short of astounding.

Here there are left-wing people that sound like Pat Buchanan and right wing people that sound like Noam Chomsky when it comes to the auto industry and trade issues. People see that AIG alone lost $61 billion in one quarter and no one said boo about giving them more billions while a loan request from the auto industry for a smaller amount causes apoplexy.

4) The primary cost difference between the traditional Big Three and their German or East Asian competitors is not labor cost or material cost. It's health care-primarily retiree health care. The Big Three already ended (white collar) retiree health care benefits in 2007-8. Those people now have to be on Medicare or scramble to get supplemental coverage if they can. The foreign companies all have government provided health care in their home countries and have generally not been operating in the US long enough to build up massive legacy costs. So when the President talks about people "giving up more" he is taking dead aim at the remaining health care benefits of unionized workers (current and retirees) and current white collar workers.
The UAW already opened up the contract to increase the worker contribution to health care, create a jointly run health care fund and allow the companies (well at least Ford) to substitute stock for cash in this fund.

Perhaps the companies should be able to immediately refuse to pay for health care. That would solve much of their cash problems but not immediately-certainly not in 30 or 60 days. It would involve the breaking of contracts-something the Administration didn't want to do in the AIG case.

But the most important point in all of this is political. Regardless of whether or not it is the "right" thing to do, the people in Michigan that voted for Obama certainly didn't do so thinking he would cause them to lose their health coverage or job. So if the Administration gets too closely identified as one that is unfriendly to the auto industry, Michiganders will remember that in 2010 and 2012.

Winter is Coming

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Lilo] #536036
04/01/09 10:00 AM
04/01/09 10:00 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Hi DT:

My point isn't that the US auto industry is a paradigm of unmatched quality. I don't believe that to be the case at all. I would suggest that with trucks and SUV's they were responding to consumer demand, though. But that's all irrelevant.

1) By what right does the federal government take it upon itself to fire the head of a private company? There's no statute that allows the President to do that. His aides were talking about remaking the board of GM. Again, even if Obama's team were competent enough to do that, what gives them the right? Who else is eligible to be fired by the President?

There is no "right" for the president to fire the head of a private company. When Truman took over the steel industry in the late 40's to avert a strike the Supreme Court struck him down. Obama was able to force Waggoner out because after the first bailout GM was told to come up with some kind of plan which they did not. Their "plan" turned out to be to ask for another bailout. The administration said if you keep Waggoner you dont get the bailout. So the authority I guess is the almighty dollar.

2)The Administration appears to have a thinly disguised dislike of "old technologies" such as coal and internal combustion engines. Well fair enough. But there are millions of people that make their living through those technologies. It's not at all clear that American consumers want or will pay for "green" cars or will pay extra for electricity through cap-and-trade schemes. Either way it should be up to the consumer market to make those decisions, not the Administration.

For all of our history the government in partnership with private entities has pushed technology forward. Would you prefer we had no transcontinental railroad, no interstate highways, no products derived from NASA technology? Technology changes with the times, and it is not always up to consumers to decide.

3) In Michigan there is currently growing unity around the idea that the auto industry is getting the shaft while the banking industry is literally being wined and dined. For this to happen in a place as politically/racially/economically divided as Michigan is nothing short of astounding.

Here there are left-wing people that sound like Pat Buchanan and right wing people that sound like Noam Chomsky when it comes to the auto industry and trade issues. People see that AIG alone lost $61 billion in one quarter and no one said boo about giving them more billions while a loan request from the auto industry for a smaller amount causes apoplexy.
Michigan is in a mess, but this has been a long time coming, and the so called "Big Three" have had their heads in the sand. They created through advertising the "demand" for unnecessary products like the Hummer and super sized pick up trucks for people who have white collar jobs and live in cities.
4) The primary cost difference between the traditional Big Three and their German or East Asian competitors is not labor cost or material cost. It's health care-primarily retiree health care. The Big Three already ended (white collar) retiree health care benefits in 2007-8. Those people now have to be on Medicare or scramble to get supplemental coverage if they can. The foreign companies all have government provided health care in their home countries and have generally not been operating in the US long enough to build up massive legacy costs. So when the President talks about people "giving up more" he is taking dead aim at the remaining health care benefits of unionized workers (current and retirees) and current white collar workers.
The UAW already opened up the contract to increase the worker contribution to health care, create a jointly run health care fund and allow the companies (well at least Ford) to substitute stock for cash in this fund.

Perhaps the companies should be able to immediately refuse to pay for health care. That would solve much of their cash problems but not immediately-certainly not in 30 or 60 days. It would involve the breaking of contracts-something the Administration didn't want to do in the AIG case.

But the most important point in all of this is political. Regardless of whether or not it is the "right" thing to do, the people in Michigan that voted for Obama certainly didn't do so thinking he would cause them to lose their health coverage or job. So if the Administration gets too closely identified as one that is unfriendly to the auto industry, Michiganders will remember that in 2010 and 2012.

The car companies and the insurance industry have long lobbied against national health care, government pensions and other social programs which form the safety net in other countries. They called it "socialism" now they are whining they are at a disadvantage.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Lilo] #536038
04/01/09 10:08 AM
04/01/09 10:08 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Hi DT:

1) By what right does the federal government take it upon itself to fire the head of a private company? There's no statute that allows the President to do that. His aides were talking about remaking the board of GM. Again, what gives them the right? Who else is eligible to be fired by the President? What gives the President the right to dictate mergers?

Well said Lilo. My feelings exactly. Slippery Slope!

While I do understand that certain measures need to be taken in an economic time of crisis like the one we are going through, there is a fine line bordering what the federal government and the President are allowed and / or should be allowed to do.

I understand that there needs to be some kind of guidelines and criteria set if we, the taxpayers, are going to give money to these corporations to keep them afloat. But part of me feels that so far this administration has given money somewhat unconditionally to the white collar Banks and Brokerage firms without any kind of guidelines and then telling the blue collar companies that they have to do this, make that kind of deal, fire this person, etc. before they are given any money.

Is that a bad thing? Absolutely not. But at least be consistant and make it a level playing field for all companies and corporations involved be they from the white collar Wall Street companies or the blue collar Detroit factories.

Ohhh, and before approving ANY bailout bills and proposals, the President needs to make sure that his own house is in order by making it a point to congress that they MUST READ these bills BEFORE voting on them either way!

Don Cardi cool

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Don Cardi] #536064
04/01/09 01:40 PM
04/01/09 01:40 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

Okay... Obama is taking it WAY too far now!! eek

Obama Orders Chevrolet and Dodge Out Of NASCAR - Car News
Quote:

In a move sure to spark outrage, the White House announced today that GM and Chrysler must cease participation in NASCAR at the end of the 2009 season if they hope to receive any additional financial aid from the government. Companies around the globe—Honda and Audi, to name two—have drawn down racing operations, and NASCAR itself has already felt the pinch in the form of reduced team spending. A complete withdrawal from America’s premier racing series is expected to save more than $250 million between GM and Chrysler, a substantial amount considering the drastic measures being implemented elsewhere.

“Automakers used to operate on the principle of ‘win on Sunday, sell on Monday,’ but the Auto Task Force’s research just doesn’t validate that as true,” said the statement from President Obama. While fans have decried the Car of Tomorrow for heavily limiting what little personalization the cookie-cutter series had previously allowed to participating manufacturers, and drivers have slammed its brick-like aerodynamics and unpredictable handling, even the governmental oversight committee sees that the full-scale regulation of the cars leaves the manufacturers very little space for research and development. “NASCAR is a racing series that regulates down to the smallest detail of the cars, where a car badged a Chevrolet or Dodge differs only marginally from a Ford or a Toyota. There’s no technological development to speak of.”

The statement goes on further to say the same demand will be made of Ford if it asks for government assistance. “In order to receive this money, corporations must demonstrate they will spend it wisely. Racing has been said to improve on-road technology, but frankly, NASCAR almost flaunts its standing among the lowest-tech forms of motorsport. NASCAR is not proven to drive advancements that transfer from the racetrack to the road, and this nation’s way forward does not hinge on decades-old technology. We need new, and we need innovation.”

The President realizes this will be an unpopular call, but stands behind the decision, saying, “This is an obvious cut to make, but it is not an easy one. This administration is not ignoring the tremendous sentimental value and emotional appeal NASCAR holds for so many Americans. But now is not the time for sentiment and nostalgia; now is a time for decisive financial action. If our automotive industry is to emerge from this recession intact, then these difficult decisions must be made.”

Both Chevrolet and Dodge see the move as only temporary, and fully expect to resume racing in NASCAR as soon as they have stabilized and the government’s hand in their operations is minimized. “There is nothing really to say at this point,” said one representative, who wished to remain anonymous. “We’ve been doing this since the beginning, and we always assumed we’d be doing this until the end. Heck, nobody ever thought to think that there would be an end. But we ain’t done. As soon as this is over, we’re taking back our spot at the top.”

NASCAR officials remain tight-lipped about the call, but sources say series president Mike Helton and team managers are exploring several options, including other manufacturers to fill Chevrolet and Dodge’s vacated positions. Given the company’s recent interest in motorsport and the steady cash-flow and V-8 engine provided by its new Genesis sedan, sources indicate that NASCAR is pinging Hyundai to gauge the Korean company’s interest in occupying a spot in NASCAR. “Toyota was not well-received their first year in the sport, nor was their first season an easy one,” the source says. “But they learned, they applied the lessons, and they have proven very competitive this year.”

If Hyundai does indeed join the series, there will no doubt be a steep learning curve, and the move would leave Ford the lone domestic battling a pair of Asian makes in America’s most popular racing series. We wonder, however, how long NASCAR could hold that title without two of its most storied participants.

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: J Geoff] #536066
04/01/09 01:43 PM
04/01/09 01:43 PM
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

Hey, it's $250 million they can save. They can stay in NASCAR and fail or cut out unnecessary spending.

Seems like an easy choice to me.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Lilo] #536074
04/01/09 02:31 PM
04/01/09 02:31 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Hi DT:

Lilo, surely you know the President did not fire the head of any private company. By virtue of the loans the federal government made to GM, the federal government is a GM creditor and lienholder. Given its position as such, the federal government has significant influence on GM. Any company or person who extends a significant amount of credit to a company can exercise such influence if its stake is large enough. The President exercised that influence by encouraging the GM head to step down.

Last edited by olivant; 04/01/09 02:32 PM.

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: J Geoff] #536079
04/01/09 03:13 PM
04/01/09 03:13 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Originally Posted By: J Geoff

Okay... Obama is taking it WAY too far now!! eek

Obama Orders Chevrolet and Dodge Out Of NASCAR - Car News

Does this mean no more fantasy Nascar league Geoff?

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Random obama Whoring [Re: Mignon] #536080
04/01/09 03:26 PM
04/01/09 03:26 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted By: Mignon
Does this mean no more fantasy Nascar league Geoff?

I'll pick the Yugo teams! grin

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Page 24 of 95 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 94 95

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull