GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (m2w, Mafia101, dsd), 274 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,538
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,997
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,357
Posts1,059,173
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 45 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 44 45
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #528222
01/12/09 12:14 PM
01/12/09 12:14 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
We took a rather long road trip recently, so we listened to the audio version of Bill Bryson's "In a Sunburned Country", which is all about Australia. I had read it before, but have found it worthy of another look (or listen, in this case). Bryson is an amusing and engaging writer, and this is a perfect blend of travelogue and history book. If you want to learn more about Australia, then this is the book for you.

Originally, this was loaned to me by Plaw, so I admit to a certain sentimental attachment to it, but that doesn't make it any less worthy.

On vacation, I read "The Memory-Keeper's Daughter" about a doctor who delivers his own twins in a snow storm, a boy and girl. Their daughter has Downs Syndrome, and, before his wife wakes from the anesthesia, he has his nurse bring the child to an institution and then tells his wife that their daughter has died. However, the nurse can't bring herself to leave the baby, and she runs away to raise her on her own. The book explores the consequences that occur from that one snowy night.

The story is beautifully told, and it is truly heartening to see how the attitudes towards Downs Syndrome have changed since the 1960s.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Sicilian Babe] #528225
01/12/09 12:30 PM
01/12/09 12:30 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
I have read a few of Bill Brysons books. He is a marvellously witty writer. The last one i read was an account of his childhood in Des Moines in the 50's "The Adventures of the Thunderbolt Kid" it was called (i think?)

Brilliant and well worth a read.

I read so many books,my head literally spins with them all.

Have started on BRUTAL;THE UNTOLD STORY OF THE WHITEY BULGER MOB by ex Bulger crony Kevin Weeks,today.

Shaping up well,if not a bit predictable.

Last edited by Yogi Barrabbas; 01/12/09 12:33 PM.

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #528308
01/12/09 09:14 PM
01/12/09 09:14 PM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
I finished Hearts in Atlantis a while back, and was wondering if anyone's seen the movie and/or read the book? I read that the film is only over the first story of the several within the book, and I think also is only loosely based on it. Still, I think it'd be interesting to see, for a comparison.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #528318
01/12/09 09:58 PM
01/12/09 09:58 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
Just read MONTE CASSINO by Matthew Parker.

A fascinating account of one of WWII's most brutal battles. A must read for any devotees of military history. The courage and bravery both sides showed in this charnel house of a battle is humbling!

Yogi, this caught my eye, thank you. I visited Monte Cassino in 2003 while on a pilgrimage to Italy. Monte Cassino was a stop on our third day. It is the site of the earliest recorded monastery founded by St. Benedict in 542 AD. Throughout history it suffered many invasions, but was resilient. During the war it was reduced to a pile of rubble and then rebuilt. It was a very inspirational and moving visit. I will have to read the book.

Monte Cassino and the abbey on top

The Polish soldier's cemetery on the adjacent hillside.

Inside the abbey grounds; statue of St. Scholastica, Benedict's sister.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: MaryCas] #528322
01/12/09 10:46 PM
01/12/09 10:46 PM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

In a van down by the river!
CURRENTLY READING:

The Great Shark Hunt by Hunter S. Thompson
The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie
The Complete Sherlock Holmes Vol. 1 by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Football for Dummies by Howie Long

and some book by Ian Rankin.

That makes 3 British writers at once!

Finished up my "bathroom book" by Lawrence Block, When The Sacred Gin Mill Closes or something. Don't bother with it.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Longneck] #528351
01/13/09 10:16 AM
01/13/09 10:16 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
MC,those are great pics,thanks for posting. It is an excellent book so keep a weather eye peeled for it.

A couple of things that caught my attention was the amount of Allied forces involved in the attack. After the US and Brits failed in the first wave we threw in the Indians,Ghurkas,New Zealanders,the Free French and finally the Poles and the Canadians. A truly allied effort.

The other thing was the bravery and determination of the German paratroopers who held on for days without food or medical aid in the face of constant carpet bombing and attacks!

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #528794
01/17/09 09:04 AM
01/17/09 09:04 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Just read THE BIG BLOWDOWN by George Pelecanos.

This guy is great,i think i have read all his stuff now although i did it back to front!

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #528800
01/17/09 10:29 AM
01/17/09 10:29 AM
Lompac Offline
BANNED
Lompac  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
EXPIRED! tongue

Last edited by Lompac; 01/18/09 01:19 PM.
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Lompac] #528814
01/17/09 01:59 PM
01/17/09 01:59 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK

That's incredible.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #528815
01/17/09 02:01 PM
01/17/09 02:01 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
I'm currently reading Moses and Monotheism by Sigmund Freud,
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins,
The Anarchist Writings of William Godwin by Peter Marshall and
Ulysses by James Joyce.

Last edited by Capo de La Cosa Nostra; 01/17/09 02:01 PM.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #528844
01/17/09 05:42 PM
01/17/09 05:42 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
I'm currently reading Moses and Monotheism by Sigmund Freud,
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins,
The Anarchist Writings of William Godwin by Peter Marshall and
Ulysses by James Joyce.

I'd be very interested in reading your thoughts about Ulysses when you've finished it.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: klydon1] #528923
01/18/09 09:10 AM
01/18/09 09:10 AM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
I've read the first two parts so far; it's brilliant, I love it. We're studying it over the course of twelve weeks, so the module allows for a lot of close reading.

Makes me want to go to Dublin, too. I've never been to Ireland.

I love its premise, its potential and its delivery (so far). I'm a great fan of "novels as text".

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #529059
01/19/09 12:08 PM
01/19/09 12:08 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Just read EASTER RISING by Michael Patrick Macdonald.

The follow up to his excellent ALL SOULS book,which was an account of his tough upbringing in south Boston.

Easter Rising tells of his efforts to escape the "stigma" of being a southie boy through punk music and eventually a trip to Ireland itself to see his 11 million cousins smile

Briiliant book this,well worth a read!

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #529080
01/19/09 02:20 PM
01/19/09 02:20 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
I've read the first two parts so far; it's brilliant, I love it. We're studying it over the course of twelve weeks, so the module allows for a lot of close reading.

Makes me want to go to Dublin, too. I've never been to Ireland.

I love its premise, its potential and its delivery (so far). I'm a great fan of "novels as text".

I first read Ulysses in a college course devoted to it. We were assigned a thesis about one sentence (of our choice) taken from it. I can't remember what I did. I have to read it again. It was an experience, unlike any other, I ever had from reading a literary work.

Enjoy it.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: klydon1] #529514
01/22/09 08:41 AM
01/22/09 08:41 AM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling by Bret Hart

Probably the best book on pro wrestling I've ever read. Hart pulls no punches in telling his story, from growing up as the 6th of the 12 children parented by Helen and the legendary Stu Hart, wrestling for his dad's Calgary wrestling promotion Stampede Wrestling, to becoming one of the biggest stars in pro wrestling history, only to have it ripped away by Vince McMahon and his cohorts.

He paints a very different picture of the Hart family, describing most of his siblings as selfish, self-centered, bitter people. He goes into detail about the many deaths in pro wrestling, many of which could have been preventable. He speaks affectionately of his brother Owen, as well as his parents Stu and Helen, and goes into great detail about the Montreal Screwjob, and how it all came together. He also tells us what he REALLY thinks about Shawn Michaels (it ain't nice.)

It's a great read for any wrestling fan, but especially the ones who respect the art of what pro wrestling USED to be, before it became the stupid, perverted mess it is today.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: XDCX] #529630
01/23/09 06:54 AM
01/23/09 06:54 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Ravenous by Ray Garton.

It's an updated take on the werewolf legend. The curse is passed on not through a bite but via more intimate contact. Garton shows a stylistic debt to Stephen King's Salem's Lot with his small town locality, a house with a bad history and an isolation from the outside world.

Unfortunately the story doesn't really hold up. The characters are ever so slightly underdrawn while the heroes don't have enough to do.

The werewolves are described very well though (especially the transformations) and it's here that Garton's skill for gratuitous violence and gore shines through. It was a quick fun read but ultimately not close to being great horror.

http://www.amazon.com/Ravenous-Leisure-Fiction-Ray-Garton/dp/0843958200

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Lilo] #529635
01/23/09 09:56 AM
01/23/09 09:56 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Just read THE BRIEF WONDROUS LIFE OF OSCAR WAO by Junot Diaz.

I believe it was DS who read it also recently.

Very good. Sad but funny. Highly original though!

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #529902
01/25/09 07:37 PM
01/25/09 07:37 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I just finished Crisscross and The Haunted Air. Both books were Repairman Jack stories by F. Paul Wilson.

Repairman Jack is a defiantly libertarian NYC resident who lives off the grid. He has no official identity, avoids his family, pays no taxes, doesn't vote, owns nothing in his own name and lives as invisibly as possible.

Jack makes his living "fixing" situations for people when police or other officialdom can't help. Jack doesn't start fights, but he's not averse to finishing them-terminally. Getting on his bad side is not a good idea. Jack despises bullies but also despises people that don't stand up for themselves. His primary motivation for any job is money and the sheer joy of outsmarting a criminal or other dangerous person.

Over time more and more of his fix-its start to involve phenomena that can't be rationally explained. F. Paul Wilson ultimately ties in Jack to some of his other horror series.

In Crisscross Jack tries to help a nun who's being blackmailed and also help another woman rescue her son from a fictionalized version of the Scientologist church. This book was quite violent.

In The Haunted Air Jack is brought in to protect two psychics from other rivals enraged at losing clients. But then he finds there's more going on than phony tricksters.

Both books were very enjoyable. Wilson writes in a cliffhanging style that is quite reminiscent of a updated version of some of the older pulps.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Lilo] #529953
01/26/09 12:54 PM
01/26/09 12:54 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Just read SNIPER ONE by Dan Mills.

A true life account of the war in Iraq. Mills' sniper platoon were sent to Al Amarah in southern Iraq on a purely" peacekeeping" 6 month tour. Within 2 days of getting there the Shia insurgency kicked off and they spent the next 6 months in constant fighting. The platoon won a record amount of medals and commendations for the British army.

A rollicking good read,and a stirring true story.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #530662
02/03/09 12:15 PM
02/03/09 12:15 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
WAR STORIES by Jeremy Bowen.

Bowen is one of the top foreign correspondents for the mighty BBC so has covered a lot of wars in his role. This is his account of his adventures. He has covered wars in El Salvador,Kosovo,chechyna,both the Gulf wars and all the many and various Middle East spats. He gives a humorous and educated account but it grates after a while. He often says how he is addicted to war and excitement and living in the "danger zone". Now this is all well and good,and probably true, but i found it a bit disrespectful to the men actually fighting in these wars. I know the media are important to these affairs in the modern day and it is a dangerous job but to hear him bleat on about it constantly just took the shine of his book a bit.

Still worth a read from a historical point of view,if nothing else!

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #530951
02/06/09 11:23 AM
02/06/09 11:23 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
"Wine and War" it is an account of what the French did during WWII to salvage the wine industry, hide good vintages from the Germans, and in many cases sending the Germans inferior wines with fancy labels.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: dontomasso] #530955
02/06/09 12:54 PM
02/06/09 12:54 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I just finished "Neither Here Nor There" by Bill Bryson. The book details his travels throughout Europe. It was charming and some of his observations were absolutely hilarious. I was reading in bed while my husband was falling asleep, and I couldn't help laughing out loud at times.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Sicilian Babe] #530986
02/06/09 07:27 PM
02/06/09 07:27 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
"Watchmen" by Alan Moore.
I had been interested in this book for years but never got around to reading it. I wanted to read it before the movie as Alan Moore is so vociferously against cinema interpretation of his work. So I borrowed a copy from my brother.

There is a lot of imagery, technique and backstory there that simply won't transfer well to film. I liked it but it wasn't quite as good as I thought it would be. For me it didn't quite live up to the hype that it's gotten in the graphic novel world. It is the kind of book that does require multiple readings. I'm sure I missed a few things first time through.

It's about a lot of different things (right and wrong, individual conscience, group rights vs individual rights, ethics and so on) all told from various perspectives of "superheroes" who live in a 1980's US where Nixon is still President, the US won the Vietnam war, and someone is killing superheroes. The book does stretch the concept of anti-hero to the breaking point. Sometimes there's no one to identify with which I suspect may have been one of Alan Moore's goals...

Winter is Coming

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Lilo] #531584
02/12/09 12:08 PM
02/12/09 12:08 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
ONLY IN AMERICA by the BBC's US chief correspondent Matt Frei. Mostly based on the authors expriences of political shenanigans in Washington it also offers plenty of lighter moments and insights into American life. Lots of interviews with colourful characters.

Well worth reading.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #531585
02/12/09 12:09 PM
02/12/09 12:09 PM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
Just read Carlton Leach's book.

Yogi or Deniro or any of you Brits read it?

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: whisper] #531586
02/12/09 12:13 PM
02/12/09 12:13 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Naw mate. Not read it yet. Going through a phase of reading political and war books just lately.

Next up is Alaistair Cookes LETTER FROM AMERICA book. It has all the best "letters" from his long running,award winning BBC radio show.

Looking forward to it.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #531684
02/13/09 12:24 PM
02/13/09 12:24 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
Going through a phase of reading political books just lately.
What like?

I've been reading a lot of anarchist stuff.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #531938
02/17/09 11:22 AM
02/17/09 11:22 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Finally read KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL by Anthony Bourdain.

Excellent stuff. The chapter "A Day in the Life" is one of the best chapters i have ever read in any type of book.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #532012
02/17/09 10:06 PM
02/17/09 10:06 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
'Hades' and 'Wandering Rocks' are absolutely amazing chapters in Ulysses. The former is at once a hilarious and blunt depiction of a funeral; the latter is some sort of literary version of a Robert Altman film, with an all-seeing 'eye'. Incredible stuff. The book in general is a work of genius.

I'm also reading The Plague by Camus.

And Anarchism by George Woodcock.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #532014
02/17/09 10:23 PM
02/17/09 10:23 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
The former is at once a hilarious and blunt depiction of a funeral; the latter is some sort of literary version of a Robert Altman film, with an all-seeing 'eye'. Incredible stuff. The book in general is a work of genius.

I'm also reading The Plague by Camus.

And Anarchism by George Woodcock.

The funeral scene contains a reference to a man in a macintosh hat. I believe that someone figured out after Joyce's death that it was a character from Dubliners , James Duffy, I think, from a 'A Painful Case.'

The 'Wandering Rocks' chapter is certainly a mind blowing experience. You're tempting me to pick up my copy of the novel.

Are you reading The Plague for a class assignment or for personal enjoyment?

Also, Capo, have you read Finnegan's Wake ? I've tried years ago and stuggled with it. But if you ever get the time to tackle it, I think you'll be able to get a lot out of it.

Page 18 of 45 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 44 45

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull