GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Jimmy_Two_Times, Frankie_Five_Angels), 272 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday Tommasino Neri.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,428
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,840
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,507
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,307
Posts1,058,321
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 80 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 79 80
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Don Cardi] #518553
11/02/08 03:19 PM
11/02/08 03:19 PM
M
Mattix Offline
Wiseguy
Mattix  Offline
M
Wiseguy
We Only Kill Each Other by Dean Jennings is the definitive biography of Bugsy Siegel.

There is at least one other paperback biography entitled Bugsy by George Carpozi Jr. but it is highly fictionalized and not worth bothering with.

The Gangster Chronicles is fiction, based on a 1970s TV miniseries. "Michael Lasker" was a pseudonym for Meyer Lansky, used by the screenwriters to avoid a lawsuit. (Lansky reportedly loved the show, tho most everyone else didn't).

There are also at least a couple of biographies of Virginia Hill, tho the accuracy of both are questionable:

The Mistress and the Mafia by Ed Reid;

Bugsy's Baby by Andy Edmonds.

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Smitty:
Any book there that has to do with Bugsy Siegel? I did not see it posted.
"The Gangster Chronicles"
By Michael Lasker and Richard Alan Simmons

"We Only Kill Each Other: The True Story of Mobster Bugsy Siegel"
By Dean Jennings

Don Cardi cool

Re: Mafia Books [Re: DonMichaelCorleone] #518554
11/02/08 03:31 PM
11/02/08 03:31 PM
M
Mattix Offline
Wiseguy
Mattix  Offline
M
Wiseguy
The Dutch Schultz Story by Ted Addy is fictionalized garbage. It's a "novelized biography" originally published as part of a series (without photos) by Monarch Books in the early '60s and reprinted in the late '60s (with photos) by Tower Books in a series called Public Enemies of the 1930s . Other books in the series (none of which are of any historical value) included:

The Lucky Luciano Story by Ovid Demaris (who later authored several fine nonfiction works on organized crime);

The Dillinger Story by Ovid Demaris;

Legs Diamond by Sam Curzon;

The Frank Costello Story by Bill Brennan.

On the other hand, for a good biography of Dutch Schultz, seek out the late Paul Sann's excellent book Kill the Dutchman! .

Originally Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone
SC who else was in the "Public Enemies of the 1930's" collection?

Last edited by Mattix; 11/02/08 03:33 PM.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Enzo Scifo] #518555
11/02/08 03:51 PM
11/02/08 03:51 PM
M
Mattix Offline
Wiseguy
Mattix  Offline
M
Wiseguy
Gangster City by Patrick Downey is essential reading for anyone interested in the old NYC underworld. It might just be the best work ever on early 20th Century NYC gangsters. Covers all the classic old Jewish, Irish, and Italian mobsters, all from contemporary records. Not just Mafia but Waxey Gordon, Dopey Benny Fein, Monk Eastman, Legs Diamond, Dutch Schultz, Mad Dog Coll, Owney Madden, Bitz and Spitale, the Irish "White Hand" gang, etc. There's even a chapter on the Chinatown tong wars.

Downey's second book is Bad Seeds in the Big Apple , dealing mostly with robbery gangs in New York in the 1920-40 period. I highly recommend this one too, which boasts a foreword from Rose Keefe.

Downey is currently working on a biography of Legs Diamond, which I expect will be the definitive one.

Originally Posted By: Enzo Scifo
Anyone know if this one is worth reading?
Is it only about the mob, or does it feature all kinds of ethnic organized crime?

"Gangster City: The History of the New York Underworld 1900-1935" by Patrick Downey

Last edited by Mattix; 11/02/08 04:32 PM.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Don Cardi] #518556
11/02/08 03:54 PM
11/02/08 03:54 PM
M
Mattix Offline
Wiseguy
Mattix  Offline
M
Wiseguy
I have. It's excellent, if you mean the recent revised and expanded version.

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
Has anyone read this book?

But He Was Good to His Mother : The Lives and Crimes of Jewish Gangsters
by Robert A. Rockaway

Don Cardi 8)

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turnbull] #518557
11/02/08 04:11 PM
11/02/08 04:11 PM
M
Mattix Offline
Wiseguy
Mattix  Offline
M
Wiseguy
I have to disagree with this review. Poulsen's book is an excellent case study of vice in New York in the 1920s and '30s and of the Luciano trial in particular. If it's selective it's because it's based on the actual contemporary records and not on the myriad volumes of published literature that have appeared since (including the fictional Last Testament of Lucky Luciano ). As far as the Castellammarese War, etc. goes, these details would be omissions if one were expecting a straight biography of Luciano. That was not Poulsen's intention. She was merely covering the trial and the principal characters in greater detail than before. It was not intended to be a definitive biography of Lucky Luciano (tho it is about time someone did one).

Also, as a correction here, Luciano was tried on New York State charges of compulsory prostitution, not under the federal Mann Act.

I might add that I have known Ellen Poulsen for several years and she is one of the most diligent and respected crime researchers in the nation.

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
The Case Against Lucky Luciano: New York's Most Sensational Vice Trial ,by Ellen Poulsen

I read this book after it was mentioned several times on this board (thank you, PB and others).
Most people who are familiar with Charlie Luciano's life know that his conviction and 30-50 year sentence for "compulsory prostitution" (Mann Act, so-called "White Slavery") was a trumped-up deal, managed by DA Tom Dewey (later Governor of New York, later twice GOP Presidential candidate) to get Luciano personally. Ellen Poulsen goes over the case in a rather selective way that adds little new to that conclusion.

More than a third of the book is given over to a description of how the prostitution rackets worked in NYC in the Thirties, It was a vicious but tidily run industry, in which madams paid "bookers" (not pimps, but employment jobbers) to have whores assigned to them. The bookers and madams paid "bondsmen"--busted lawyers and bail bondsmen who corrupted cops and magistrates. If a paid-up madam was raided, the bondsmen would get her and her girls out of jail, or the charges dropped. If they didn't pay, they'd have the charges pumped up and rigged against them. Non-payers also were beaten and abused. The hookers paid most: at a time when the Depression dropped the price per trick to $3 or even $2 a throw, the girls seldom kept more than $1 per john.

It was a big racket, but its operation was too diffused to allow anyone to really run it--the accusation against Luciano. While he undoubtedly profited from prostitution, he was scarcely the "kingpin" that Dewey made him out to be. The testimony against him was offered by drug-addicted hookers and other lowlifes who'd make the witnesses against Gotti look like daily communicants. Quite a few recanted their testimony after the trial. The trial record showed tenuous connections and a lot of hearsay evidence--"my booker said he heard Charlie say that he was going to reduce all madams to employees"--that kind of stuff. Nonetheless, the jury was out for only five hours before convicting Luciano and all his co-defendants.

Poulsen never takes a stand on the "justice" or "injustice" of Dewey's proceedings against Luciano--she just presents selected parts of the testimony, along with selected parts of various characters' bio, in a manner that's so matter-of fact as to be boring at times--an unusual accomplishment given the sensational nature of the case. That piecework approach left me unsatisfied. While she outlined Luciano's life and part of his career, she never invoked the broader context. For example, while describing the bare bones of the assassinations of the "Moustache Petes" Masseria and Maranzano, which Luciano organized with Meyer Lansky's help, she never tells us about the Castellemmarese War--the biggest event in 20th Century US Mob history--or the Commission that resulted.
Not a great read.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: DE NIRO] #518559
11/02/08 04:27 PM
11/02/08 04:27 PM
M
Mattix Offline
Wiseguy
Mattix  Offline
M
Wiseguy
Too much fiction and inaccuracy in the first half to suit me. The Balsamo-Carpozi book has also been published under the titles Under the Clock and Crime Incorporated . The early chapters were originally a book in themselves, a paperback title issued by Dell in the early 1970s titled Always Kill a Brother and dealing with the supposedly continuous gang war between the Irish "White Hand" and Frankie Yale's Mafia group.

Balsamo, whose grandfather was a Brooklyn Mafioso, has done some fine research (especially on Al Capone's early Brooklyn years) but a lot of the early stuff here is just plain wrong and Carpozi's injection of fictional dialogue kills the book historically. The later chapters are just standard NYC Mob history you can find in any Mafia book.

Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
Just Brought.

£1.98 inc postage on Ebay

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Mattix] #520176
11/13/08 04:56 AM
11/13/08 04:56 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
The Good Rat,Gaspipe and Havana Nocturne are all on my Xmas list so we will see what Santy brings.

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #520673
11/16/08 10:18 AM
11/16/08 10:18 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Just brought hope to start reading soon

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Mafia Books [Re: DE NIRO] #520693
11/16/08 01:52 PM
11/16/08 01:52 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
That book is useful because it gives a detailed (and maybe even definitive) account of the fixing of the 1919 World Series, and what Rothstein's role really was.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turnbull] #520711
11/16/08 03:37 PM
11/16/08 03:37 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

I take it you have read the book TB, is the book accruate?

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

Re: Mafia Books [Re: DE NIRO] #520721
11/16/08 06:16 PM
11/16/08 06:16 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Can't really say, DeN. The basic facts of Rothstein's life are well known, since he was a very public figure in the Twenties and achieved notoriety when F. Scott Fitzgerald portrayed him as "Meyer Wolfsheim, the man who fixed the 1919 World Series" in The Great Gatsby. The value of the book, IMO, is the author's delving into the details of Rothstein's crimes and his relations with criminal associates. It's interesting stuff, but I can't vouch for its accuracy. But I have no reason to doubt it.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turnbull] #520724
11/16/08 06:23 PM
11/16/08 06:23 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Thanks TB.. In looking forward to reading..

Re: Mafia Books [Re: DE NIRO] #520862
11/17/08 03:54 PM
11/17/08 03:54 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I hope you do, DeN. smile It's not the best-written book, but the details on the 1919 World Series fix are worth the price of admission.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turnbull] #521886
11/24/08 11:12 AM
11/24/08 11:12 AM
Grew up in Melrose Park
Commando Offline
Wiseguy
Commando  Offline
Wiseguy
Grew up in Melrose Park
I did like "The Outfit" by Russo, but the better book on the Chicago I think is "Accardo" by Bill Roemer. It gave information on all aspects of the outfit and each of it's players.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Commando] #521921
11/24/08 01:19 PM
11/24/08 01:19 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

ive read both of those books Commando and enjoyed them very much..

Re: Mafia Books [Re: DE NIRO] #522366
11/28/08 10:24 AM
11/28/08 10:24 AM
Grew up in Melrose Park
Commando Offline
Wiseguy
Commando  Offline
Wiseguy
Grew up in Melrose Park
I just finished reading "Double Deal" about Michael Corbitt. He was the cop who was in with the Chicago Outfit. Very good book! It was written by the nephew of Sam Giancana.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Commando] #522369
11/28/08 10:38 AM
11/28/08 10:38 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I liked "Double deal". I hadn't heard of Hy Larner before.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Lilo] #525071
12/18/08 12:43 PM
12/18/08 12:43 PM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline
Underboss
Netherlands
I'm going to buy 2 new books. I just saw them in the store and they look fine.

1:

The titles is 'The last godfathers' and describes the corleone clan. Written bij John Follain.

2:

Written by Peter Feller. Don't now title anymore.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: M.M. Floors] #525105
12/18/08 04:10 PM
12/18/08 04:10 PM
Philadelphia
BDuff Offline
Philadelphia's Consigliere
BDuff  Offline
Philadelphia's Consigliere
Underboss
Philadelphia
Just finished The Goodfella Tapes by George Anastasia. It was fantastic! It covers the John Stanfa side of the Merlino-Stanfa war. Stanfa was a vicious guy, just as bad as Nicky Scarfo in my opinion. Stanfa's top hitmen John Veasy and Phillip Coletti were really interesting and ruthless. But at the end of the day Stanfa was outsmarted by the street wise Joey Merlino.

"When my time comes, tell me, will I stand up?"
Paulie "Walnuts" Gaultiere - The Sopranos

Re: Mafia Books [Re: BDuff] #528149
01/11/09 07:00 PM
01/11/09 07:00 PM
A
Angela Offline
Associate
Angela  Offline
A
Associate
Hi,

I haven't read any books on the Mafia yet, but I saw a couple of documentaries and wondered if there are any good books on Lucky Luciano? On Amazon I found these:
The Luciano Story by Sid Feder & Joachim Joesten
Lucky Luciano: The Man Who Organized Crime in America by Hickman Powell, Charles Grutner & Ed Becker
The Case Against Lucky Luciano
From what I've read about the last of these three I don't think it's the right book for me, but what about the first two? Are they any good?

And then I'd also like to know if
A Man of Honor: The Autobiography of Joseph Bonanno by Joseph Bonanno
is interesting to read? I love autobiographies but given the author it could easily be a pretty empty book that doesn't really give any insights.

Thanks in advance,
Angela

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Angela] #528151
01/11/09 07:18 PM
01/11/09 07:18 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Welcome to the boards, Angela!

Read through the first few pages of this thread and you'll get a few ideas on books that may interest you.

The Bonanno book is an easy read BUT it's slanted to Bonanno's side quite a bit. Take it with a grain of salt.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: SC] #528264
01/12/09 03:57 PM
01/12/09 03:57 PM
A
Angela Offline
Associate
Angela  Offline
A
Associate
Hi,

I've looked through these pages and they were really helpful in deciding which books I'm going to buy, but I didn't find any specific comments about the books I mentioned. That's why I asked.

Best wishes,
Angela

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Angela] #528292
01/12/09 06:59 PM
01/12/09 06:59 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Yes, to hear Bonanno tell it he was the only leader of honor and dignity while almost everyone else was just interested in making money or dealing drugs, activities he simply didn't take part in.. clap

And he was shocked, shocked that Anastasia, his pal, was murdered while Bonanno took a trip out of town. whistle

If I remember correctly Bonanno writes the whole book with nary a mention of his lunatic capo/underboss Lilo Galante, who was very big into drug importation/dealing.

The book is entertaining but as mentioned it must be read with both eyes open for Bonanno's tendency to obfuscate, exaggerate and lie...

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Lilo] #528294
01/12/09 07:05 PM
01/12/09 07:05 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I just finished The Last Gangster.

It was good. It showed how in mentality the Philly mob had degenerated to just a well dressed street gang. The double dealings, thefts and ripoffs of each other, the constant murders and the inability to even turn a dishonest buck ruined the organization.

It was interesting that twenty years previously Lefty Ruggiero had had trouble getting made by the Bonannos because of a bad gambling habit and unpaid debts while Joey Merlino, a leader of the Philly Mob in the nineties and oughts was basically ripping off his own bookmakers. Times had definitely changed.

I wasn't prepared for how much I disliked Ron Previte AND the federal prosecutors.

Winter is Coming

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Angela] #528313
01/12/09 09:47 PM
01/12/09 09:47 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Angela, Lilo summarized the Bonanno book excellently. Of the three Luciano books, I'd recommend the last one: "The Case Against..."

I STRONGLY recommend that you read "The Five Families" by Selwyn Raab. It's the absolute best book on the NYC Mob overall.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turnbull] #528368
01/13/09 01:24 PM
01/13/09 01:24 PM
A
Angela Offline
Associate
Angela  Offline
A
Associate
Hi,
I've seen that many think highly of this book, so I already ordered it and I hope that I can start reading it this weekend.
Angela

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turnbull] #532770
02/24/09 12:11 PM
02/24/09 12:11 PM
Lompac Offline
BANNED
Lompac  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
Angela, you should read Hoods. Now thats bigger then the Mafia!!

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Lompac] #533341
03/02/09 03:35 PM
03/02/09 03:35 PM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline
Underboss
Netherlands
Hello fellas, quick question cuz I have little time to think about it. I can buy 5 books, 2nd handed for Euro 30:

The Mexican Mafia (T. Rafael)
The Japanese Mafia (P. Hill)
Drug Lords (R. Chepesiuk)
The Rise and Fall of the Cleveland Mafia (R. Porello)
Tongs, Gangs and Triads (P. Huston)

Are these books worth buying/reading?

Thanks!

Re: Mafia Books [Re: M.M. Floors] #533344
03/02/09 06:00 PM
03/02/09 06:00 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
The last two are good. Not familiar with the others.
Can you get "The Five Families" by Selwyn Raab? The best!

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turnbull] #533356
03/02/09 07:47 PM
03/02/09 07:47 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
"The Mexican Mafia" by Tony Rafael was ok. I learned things. I would recommend it.

Be aware that Mr. Rafael is very anti-immigration and that perspective colors his book. Another interesting tidbit detailed in the book is the true story of Rudy "Cheyenne" Cadena, fictionalized as Santana in the film American Me.

Winter is Coming

Page 13 of 80 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 79 80

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull