GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (lucab19), 375 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,980
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,354
Posts1,059,096
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Five Families in The Novel [Re: SC] #421615
08/03/07 10:55 AM
08/03/07 10:55 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: SC
The Bocchicchios are not one of the Five Families.

...and are not introduced at the Don's convention.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Five Families in The Novel [Re: SC] #421764
08/03/07 11:10 PM
08/03/07 11:10 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia

Using that argument (of the Families that are named) why not include the Molinari Family?

Perhaps I should have said, "Six New York families...."

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Five Families in The Novel [Re: Turnbull] #421766
08/03/07 11:24 PM
08/03/07 11:24 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
 Originally Posted By: Turnbull

...and are not introduced at the Don's convention.

The Bocchicchios do, in fact, receive about as long an "introduction" in that chapter as the Stracci, Cuneo, Barzini, and Tataglia families combined. It's just shifted by a few pages within the same chapter.

Re: Five Families in The Novel [Re: mustachepete] #423046
08/08/07 12:18 AM
08/08/07 12:18 AM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Related question: beyond the Five Families, the book says that ten other families were represented at the peace conference. "The South", Detroit, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston, and Cleveland were represented, while Chicago was not. In the movie, Vito suggests that Kansas City was represented.

It's more an historical than a literary question, but who would likely have been the other three representatives?

Re: Five Families in The Novel [Re: mustachepete] #423053
08/08/07 12:56 AM
08/08/07 12:56 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
 Originally Posted By: mustachepete
It's more an historical than a literary question, but who would likely have been the other three representatives?

A family from New Orleans (probably not included in the "South" designation - which was mostly for Florida) may have been a possibility. Since the novel states that Cuneo controlled upstate New York it may, or may not include ALL of New York State (like Buffalo, which had a real life Family). St. Louis may be just a guess as well.

Re: Five Families in The Novel [Re: mustachepete] #423359
08/08/07 01:17 PM
08/08/07 01:17 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Related question: beyond the Five Families, the book says that ten other families were represented at the peace conference. "The South", Detroit, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston, and Cleveland were represented, while Chicago was not. In the movie, Vito suggests that Kansas City was represented.

Philly, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Dallas, or New Jersey.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Five Families in The Novel [Re: olivant] #423365
08/08/07 01:27 PM
08/08/07 01:27 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Oh yeah... I forgot Philly... thats almost a definite.

Re: Five Families in The Novel [Re: SC] #423366
08/08/07 01:31 PM
08/08/07 01:31 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Little Nicky wouldn't like that very much, SC.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Five Families in The Novel [Re: pizzaboy] #423801
08/08/07 10:54 PM
08/08/07 10:54 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
The fifth family was the Throckmortons. They had a monopoly on polo ponies and Steuben chrystal. They controlled memberships in the elite tennis clubs and the sale of smoking jackets, cigarette holders, and leather toilet seats. They were invited to the wedding, but declined because the wooden chairs were rentals.

Re: Five Families in The Novel [Re: olivant] #423804
08/08/07 11:37 PM
08/08/07 11:37 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
 Originally Posted By: olivant
The fifth family was the Throckmortons. They had a monopoly on polo ponies and Steuben chrystal. They controlled memberships in the elite tennis clubs and the sale of smoking jackets, cigarette holders, and leather toilet seats. They were invited to the wedding, but declined because the wooden chairs were rentals.

You're confusing the fifth NEW YORK family with the fifth NEWPORT family. The Throckmortons made the fatal error of appointing an Anglo who was not a Saxon as consigliere, and they were wiped out in the Inbred War of 1948.

The main objections to the Bocchicchios being the sixth family all seem to be subjective: they're played for comic relief, they're too small to be a powerful family, their role as peacemakers means they couldn't take part in the war. Is there anything factual (not necessarily historical facts, but just the facts of the story as set out by Puzo) in the book that is inconsistent with the Bocchocchios being the fifth of Five Families?

Re: Five Families in The Novel [Re: mustachepete] #423832
08/09/07 02:07 AM
08/09/07 02:07 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: olivant

You're confusing the fifth NEW YORK family with the fifth NEWPORT family. The Throckmortons made the fatal error of appointing an Anglo who was not a Saxon as consigliere, and they were wiped out in the Inbred War of 1948.

The main objections to the Bocchicchios being the sixth family all seem to be subjective: they're played for comic relief, they're too small to be a powerful family, their role as peacemakers means they couldn't take part in the war. Is there anything factual (not necessarily historical facts, but just the facts of the story as set out by Puzo) in the book that is inconsistent with the Bocchocchios being the fifth of Five Families?

Thanks for clearing up my confusion. We ethnics are easily confused.

In answer to your Bocch question: Puzo never mentions the Bocch except in their capacity as unforgiving hostages.

Re: Five Families in The Novel [Re: olivant] #424304
08/09/07 01:08 PM
08/09/07 01:08 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia

[/quote]

In answer to your Bocch question: Puzo never mentions the Bocch except in their capacity as unforgiving hostages. [/quote]

Well, they also have the garbage hauling business. And then they're involved in the scheme to bring Michael back home. You have to wonder how the negotiator/hostage business could have been so "lucrative" when everybody was at peace for ten years.

What's unusual is that neither Stracci nor Cuneo seem to be mentioned in the book, beyond a paragraph apiece in the peace conference chapter. The Bocchicchios get probably ten times that much attention.

Re: Five Families in The Novel [Re: mustachepete] #424469
08/09/07 05:46 PM
08/09/07 05:46 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Puzo presents that level of detail about the Bocch because they otherwise have no explicit or assumed role in the novel. Also, it's an interesting departure from the usual and customary story about Mafia families. Stracci and Cuneo, however, fit the usual and customary mold of Mafia families, so one can make certain assumptions about their nefariou activities that realy don't require more than a paragraph or so.

In fact, Puzo goes out of his way to say that the Bocch had a streak of stupidity, their lack of adeptness at traditional Mafia endeavors, and their embrace of what is essentially a passive criminal role.

Re: Five Families in The Novel [Re: olivant] #424579
08/09/07 09:30 PM
08/09/07 09:30 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
It's interesting that if Puzo had simply written: "To arrange the peace conference, the Godfather called upon the head of the Bocchicchio Family. The Bocchicchios had a territory in the Hudson Valley, and controlled the garbage hauling business there. They were traditionally called upon to act as intermediaries in time of war" then few would question that they they were the sixth family.

The full quote from Puzo is that the Bocchicchios carried a strain of stupidity, "or perhaps they were just primitive." It brings to mind the passage where the doctor sees Vito as an ill-dressed peasant, while conceding that that peasant carried a bit of folk wisdom with him.

One of the recurring themes of the book is that IQ is not everything, and can sometimes be an impediment. The Bocchicchios "are clever enough to make a good living" and that's really all the brains that they needed in their world.

Re: Five Families in The Novel [Re: mustachepete] #427834
08/21/07 01:43 PM
08/21/07 01:43 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Plus, it was a very interesting story. GF wasn't an elegantly written novel (to say the least), but Puzo was a wonderful storyteller in the great Italian tradition--and the Bocchicchio family and how they made their living was a great story. IMO, their story, and Neri's background and how the Corleones recruited him, are the best backstories in the novel.

Re: Five Families in The Novel [Re: Turnbull] #428328
08/23/07 12:02 PM
08/23/07 12:02 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
 Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Plus, it was a very interesting story. GF wasn't an elegantly written novel (to say the least), but Puzo was a wonderful storyteller in the great Italian tradition--and the Bocchicchio family and how they made their living was a great story. IMO, their story, and Neri's background and how the Corleones recruited him, are the best backstories in the novel.

Correct on all points TB. I thought the lamest part of the book was the Lucy Mancini in Vegas section. It just semed like filler.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Five Families in The Novel [Re: dontomasso] #428374
08/23/07 03:16 PM
08/23/07 03:16 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
It was filler. And as I've posted before (ad nauseum), the sole purpose seemed to be to allow Puzo to describe Lucy's operation. Evidently a woman he knew had the operation, and Puzo interested himself in it. He was unable to resist passing his knowledge along to us. I don't know what was more annoying--having to wade through all that Lucy-and-Jules crap, or knowing that the only reason they were in the novel was to serve as his vehicle for giving us a lesson in female surgery.

One of the reasons that the movie version of "The Last Don" was so much better than the novel was that the movie minimized all that Hollywood BS that Puzo put in the book. Ohh, how boring!

Re: Five Families in The Novel [Re: Turnbull] #428454
08/23/07 11:16 PM
08/23/07 11:16 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Puzo died just a few years ago, right? In all the time since the novel was published did anyone ever ask him why he included all that female plumbing stuff and which was the fifth family? Surely, someone did.

Re: Five Families in The Novel [Re: olivant] #428522
08/24/07 09:45 AM
08/24/07 09:45 AM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
I'm sure the "five or six families question" must have been asked at least once. That would have been by Coppolla. The screenplay pretty decisively made the Corleones one of five and only five New York families.

It well could have been asked at some point, but the great majority of people who interviewed him would have either given the book one quick read, or else read it after seeing the movie, and so they never really considered six families.

I did hear Puzo talk about the Mafia in Sicily being a source for his stories. I've thought the Bocchicchio might have been a way for him to introduce some of that information.

Re: Five Families in The Novel [Re: mustachepete] #514394
10/08/08 12:18 AM
10/08/08 12:18 AM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
New grist for old business:

The Five New York Dons enter the conference room, and Tom sees, "five stout, corpulent men."

Ten pages later, Vito rises to address the conference, "a little thin from his 'illness'".

Re: Five Families in The Novel [Re: mustachepete] #514467
10/08/08 12:33 PM
10/08/08 12:33 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Well, those instant transformations occur elsewhere. Guests arriving at Connie's wedding "so exclaimed at how well [Vito] looked in his tux that an inexperienced observer might easily have thought the Don himself was the lucky groom." But before the day was out, Vito was at the hospital to visit the dying Genco, and Dr. Kennedy observed "the short, heavy man in an awkwardly fitted tuxedo." wink

Re: Five Families in The Novel [Re: SC] #514697
10/09/08 07:34 PM
10/09/08 07:34 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Puzo's Don from the South, Carlo Tramonti, is a pretty fair representation of Carlos Marcello (New Orleans) and Santo Trafficante (Tampa)

I think at that time there would have been more East Coast representatives invited. Perhaps someone from Philly, a separate New Jersey Family and maybe someone from Pittsburgh or Pittstown.

Just a guess...

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Five Families in The Novel [Re: Lilo] #516026
10/16/08 11:50 PM
10/16/08 11:50 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Another one, about the first conviction of Felix Bocchicchio:

"The clan did not ask help from any of the Families or Don Corleone because Felix had refused to ask their help and had to be taught a lesson...."

Don Corleone isn't part of "the Families?"

Re: Five Families in The Novel [Re: mustachepete] #516124
10/17/08 03:05 PM
10/17/08 03:05 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Yeah, it's another example of why there's so much back-and-forth about how many families there were.

Re: Five Families in The Novel [Re: mustachepete] #522830
12/01/08 11:54 PM
12/01/08 11:54 PM
T
thesoundoflove Offline
BANNED
thesoundoflove  Offline
BANNED
T
Associate
godfather?
I do not find these family