GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, joepuzzles234), 306 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,611
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,093
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,629
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Childhood [Re: Mignon] #521282
11/20/08 03:45 PM
11/20/08 03:45 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Anyone remember the show "Whirlybirds?"

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Childhood [Re: dontomasso] #521284
11/20/08 03:56 PM
11/20/08 03:56 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Anyone remember the show "Whirlybirds?"

Heck, yea. Great show for its time.

All of these memories posts, thay are so cool. It's good to know that so many of of us have shared in these things. I had forgotten about the long distance calls and having to go through the operator. Did you try that thing where you would call someone person to person and they would say they're not here and you'd say I'll call back at 1:00 and that meant that you were arriving at the airport at 1 so you didn't have to pay for the call? And remember when you would yell at someone "It's long distance, hurry up" And rotary phones. Remember the scene fron In & Out with Kevin Kline when Matt Dillon's skinny model girlfriend tries to use the rotary phone int heir motel and keeps trying to press the holes in the dial? God, how would this generation have survived back then?

Last edited by olivant; 11/20/08 03:59 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Childhood [Re: olivant] #521287
11/20/08 04:07 PM
11/20/08 04:07 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted By: olivant
you would call someone person to person and they would say they're not here and you'd say I'll call back at 1:00 and that meant that you were arriving at the airport at 1 so you didn't have to pay for the call?

That reminds me when my brother was in college out of state. Collect calls cost more, so he'd place a collect call then we'd say the person wasn't available. But then we knew he was home and wanted us to call him back direct. wink

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Childhood [Re: olivant] #521288
11/20/08 04:10 PM
11/20/08 04:10 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Did you try that thing where you would call someone person to person and they would say they're not here and you'd say I'll call back at 1:00 and that meant that you were arriving at the airport at 1 so you didn't have to pay for the call? And remember when you would yell at someone "It's long distance, hurry up" And rotary phones. Remember the scene fron In & Out with Kevin Kline when Matt Dillon's skinny model girlfriend tries to use the rotary phone int heir motel and keeps trying to press the holes in the dial? God, how would this generation have survived back then?

Sure... that was a way to call someone to say you'd arrived safely. What my family did was use the name of the person who was calling....whoever was on the other end would say he's not here now. Yes that scene from In and Out was a hoot.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Childhood [Re: J Geoff] #521292
11/20/08 04:55 PM
11/20/08 04:55 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Originally Posted By: J Geoff
you would call someone person to person and they would say they're not here and you'd say I'll call back at 1:00 and that meant that you were arriving at the airport at 1 so you didn't have to pay for the call?

That reminds me when my brother was in college out of state. Collect calls cost more, so he'd place a collect call then we'd say the person wasn't available. But then we knew he was home and wanted us to call him back direct. wink

My cousin used to do that with his son when the boy was in college. He would use a code name (it was stupid like John Smith or something), my cousin would say that Mr. Smith was not home, and that meant that my cousin should call his son back at the dorm.

After graduation, my cousin's son was offered a job at a bank near the university. He had met a girl, and decided to live up there. The first time his now-employed son called again for "John Smith", my cousin told the operator, "Tell him that Mr. Smith is dead," and hung up the phone.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Childhood [Re: Sicilian Babe] #521293
11/20/08 05:00 PM
11/20/08 05:00 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

lol clap lol

Re: Childhood [Re: dontomasso] #521294
11/20/08 05:07 PM
11/20/08 05:07 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I also remember drug store counters and soda shops where they mixed coca cola syrup with carbonated water when you ordered a coke. We always used to ask for extra syrup! Is there any pharmacy that still serves food?

Also there were very few chain restaurants or stores. The biggest one I think was Howard Johnson's which now has no restaurants.

Re: Childhood [Re: dontomasso] #521295
11/20/08 05:11 PM
11/20/08 05:11 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Is there any pharmacy that still serves food?

I doubt it.

Remember when the department stores had cafeterias?

I vividly remember eating lunch at John Wanamaker's in Cross County Shopping Center. Woolworth's had a lunch counter in Cross County, as well.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Childhood [Re: pizzaboy] #521296
11/20/08 05:21 PM
11/20/08 05:21 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

In a few years we'll simply say "remember when there were department stores?"

Re: Childhood [Re: dontomasso] #521297
11/20/08 05:23 PM
11/20/08 05:23 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

In a few years we'll simply say "remember when there were department stores?"

No joke. Between the Internet, Wal-Marts, and the price clubs, it's almost over already.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Childhood [Re: pizzaboy] #521298
11/20/08 05:27 PM
11/20/08 05:27 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

It used to be you'd go to the department store right before the school year and get all your school clothes. Because I was in Catholic school we had to buy jackets and ties from the school, but all the rest came from the department store. Also there used to be a rule that when you came home from school you would change from your "school clothes" to your "play clothes," and God help you if you went off and played a game or whatever in your "good" shoes!

Re: Childhood [Re: dontomasso] #521299
11/20/08 05:29 PM
11/20/08 05:29 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I know what you mean. I, too, went to Catholic school. For 17 years!

We got our school clothes at Gimbels. For the big events, like the making of a Sacrament, we went to Lubin's in Cross County, where they had a boys department to go along with their menswear.

Re: Childhood [Re: pizzaboy] #521300
11/20/08 05:39 PM
11/20/08 05:39 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
How about department store windows at Christmas? My mother used to take us downtown to look at the window displays. I'm not sure they do that anymore. And what about model trains at Christmas? My dad always set one up under the tree. I still have the Lionel from 1948. But I wonder how that tradition got started.

Re: Childhood [Re: olivant] #521305
11/20/08 06:30 PM
11/20/08 06:30 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
My husband has his dad's trains. It took me some time to find him a transformer for it, but I hunted one down at a train show. They're still in beautiful shape.

PB, my aunt was a buyer for Wanamaker's. We used to go visit her at work (she was the only woman I knew who had an assistant and her own office) and then up to the cafeteria. She would always buy my a dress or something before we left. For years, I wore the coat she had bought for me the Christmas I turned 16. It was peach wool with an opposum collar.

DT, my dad was a pharmacist (they used to say druggist) and he had a soda fountain in the store where he worked. When he went to another store, we had to go to the candy store for sodas. I loved cherry cokes, made with real cherry syrup.

Re: Childhood [Re: Sicilian Babe] #521330
11/20/08 11:19 PM
11/20/08 11:19 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline OP
The Italian Stallionette  Offline OP

California
I remember going downtown with my mom during Christmas. The department store had a train ride, Rudolph with his flashing red nose, he'd talk to you and give you a present; and of course that particular store had the "real" Santa. smile Ha ha...I remember the feeling, standing in line kind of nervous to talk to Ol' Santa. Can't replace those honest to goodness "kid" feelings.
smile

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Childhood [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #521332
11/21/08 12:03 AM
11/21/08 12:03 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
My mother took me to Macy's one year for Christmas... I thought they had the REAL Santa. I was allowed 30 seconds to sit on his lap and tell him what I wanted for Christmas.

I guess that was my first clue that the whole Santa deal was a crock... 30 seconds and then get pushed off his lap so the next little kid could go through the same thing? mad

Re: Childhood [Re: SC] #521360
11/21/08 09:29 AM
11/21/08 09:29 AM
California

California
That sucks SC. I'll tell you, the Santa stage for kids sure doesn't last long at all. By the time the child is in kindergarten or first grade, some smart ass "killjoy" let's them know there is no Santa. frown At first you tell your child that "Johnny doesn't know what he' talking about", but that only goes for so long. But, to be pushed or rushed off Santa's lap, that's awful. eek

On the bright side, we all live through the harsh realization that there is no Santa, and are not emotionally damaged (that I know of) lol Still, I remmber he disappointment when I found out. Long live Santa!!!!!!!!

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 11/21/08 09:30 AM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Childhood [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #521361
11/21/08 09:45 AM
11/21/08 09:45 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
What do you mean - there's no Santa?? uhwhat WTF are you people talking about??? cry

Re: Childhood [Re: Sicilian Babe] #521362
11/21/08 09:49 AM
11/21/08 09:49 AM
California

California
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
What do you mean - there's no Santa?? uhwhat WTF are you people talking about??? cry

Oh no!!! I made SB cry. She'll be an emotional wreck now. Don't cry SB, there's still the Easter Bunny which by the way, wasn't it a little hard, even as a kid to wrap yourself around the idea of a Bunny that hops around delivering candy?). I guess we all believed though. Damn, did I ruin that now too? lol

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 11/21/08 09:51 AM.

Re: Childhood [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #521376
11/21/08 12:34 PM
11/21/08 12:34 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I started getting suspicious when there were so many Santas in different stores, and I remember my mom telling me they were his "helpers" and that the real Santa was at Macy's. I was disappointed when I learned the truth about Santa and the Easter Bunny, but at least we still have the tooth fairy.

Re: Childhood [Re: dontomasso] #521379
11/21/08 12:40 PM
11/21/08 12:40 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
I think Klyd mentioned the rag man. We had a rag and bone man who used to come round on his cart and collect all the old crap left out in the streets.

He was a filthy old grump. Not surprisingly we called him Steptoe smile

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Childhood [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #521382
11/21/08 12:59 PM
11/21/08 12:59 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
I think Klyd mentioned the rag man. We had a rag and bone man who used to come round on his cart and collect all the old crap left out in the streets.

A little off-topic for a second.... Kirk Douglas wrote a wonderful autobiography called "The Ragman's Son" (his father was a ragman). I'd recommend it highly to anyone who likes biographies! (My mother recommended it to me many years ago - her grandfather was a ragman when he first came to the U.S. in the late 1880's). Very good book!

Re: Childhood [Re: SC] #521383
11/21/08 01:01 PM
11/21/08 01:01 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: SC

A little off-topic for a second.... Kirk Douglas wrote a wonderful autobiography called "The Ragman's Son" (his father was a ragman). I'd recommend it highly to anyone who likes biographies! (My mother recommended it to me many years ago - her grandfather was a ragman when he first came to the U.S. in the late 1880's). Very good book!

Read it SC... it is a great autobiography.

Re: Childhood [Re: dontomasso] #521443
11/21/08 06:02 PM
11/21/08 06:02 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
TIS is just not happy unless she ruins everything for me.

Re: Childhood [Re: Sicilian Babe] #521450
11/21/08 06:14 PM
11/21/08 06:14 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Put some coal in her stocking SB.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Childhood [Re: Mignon] #521454
11/21/08 06:22 PM
11/21/08 06:22 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Originally Posted By: Mignon
Put some coal in her stocking SB.

Silly Mig!! That's Santa's job!! Oh, wait, TIS told me that there is no Santa!!! cry

Re: Childhood [Re: Sicilian Babe] #521457
11/21/08 06:28 PM
11/21/08 06:28 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
All that Cali. sunshine has fried her brains. She don't know what she is talking about. I seen him. Can you?

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Childhood [Re: Sicilian Babe] #521464
11/21/08 06:46 PM
11/21/08 06:46 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Don't worry SB. There'a Santa. It's me. Just ask my kids. Year round too.

Re: Childhood [Re: olivant] #521587
11/22/08 02:33 PM
11/22/08 02:33 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
I believe in Santy still!

Every Xmas Eve we leave him a can of beer next to the fire and in the morning it has always been drunk wink

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Childhood [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #521603
11/22/08 02:51 PM
11/22/08 02:51 PM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

In a van down by the river!
I believe in Santy still!

Every Xmas Eve we leave him a can of beer next to the fire and in the morning it has always been drunk wink

You sleepwalk? tongue

I remember eating a Play-Doh sandwich. Ewwwwwwww. Tasted like...Play-Doh.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull