GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 70 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,152
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,387
Posts1,059,800
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 119 of 121 1 2 117 118 119 120 121
Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #520186
11/13/08 10:49 AM
11/13/08 10:49 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Would you believe that the Alaska race between Stevens (R and Begich (D) is still being counted? Now, Begich is up by only 3 votes. eek
The Minnesota race is still being recounted too with Al Franken behin by approximately 200 votes. Why so many close elections this year?

TIS

That's amazing.

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: Sicilian Babe] #520252
11/13/08 05:00 PM
11/13/08 05:00 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe

.....the surplus he inherited from the prior administration.

Yeah, the huge surplus that was left over from the Clinton years which was created by
the dot-com boom that arose during the 90's.

A dot-com boom which created a false surplus in both the economy, NASDQ and the dow jones industrial average. A financial "paper tiger."

A huge surplus during 90's that was created by "cooked books" from what was artificially pumped into the economy from what later turned out to be falsly profitable companies like ENRON.

Oh, and let's not forget another one from the Clinton era named Worldcom.

This all took place under the Clinton administration watch. wink

While I am not defending President Bush here when it comes to the economic practices that we've seen in this country over the last several years, please, let's not paint such a rosey and colorful picture that implies that President Clinton and his years in office produced such a real influx of economical value for us Americans. Try painting that rosey picture to all of those hard working people who lost not only their jobs, but their pensions and everything else that they worked so hard for while working for those dot-coms, Enrons and Worldcoms.

The financial and economical benefits of the 90's, during the Clinton years, only appeared to be so wonderful. The mid to late 90's appeared to be so wonderful financially because the dot-com boom appeared to be making billions and billions of $$$ along with the Enron and Worldcom type companies. The dot-coms turned out to be bullshit while at the same time the Enrons and the Worldcoms were cooking their books. And this all took place during the Clinton years, under his watch, and wound up collapsing as we started a new millinium. The dot-com dominated NASDAQ market spiraled downward in what turned out to be close to something like a $3 trillion loss. Workers saw their money dissappear and found out that they had worked all of those years only to wind up without either a pension or a health plan!

A false "surplus" that was "left over from the Clinton years" for the next administration to 'inherit" and clean up!

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: Don Cardi] #520268
11/13/08 07:33 PM
11/13/08 07:33 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

.....the surplus he inherited from the prior administration.

Yeah, the huge surplus that was left over from the Clinton years which was created by
the dot-com boom that arose during the 90's.

A dot-com boom which created a false surplus in both the economy, NASDQ and the dow jones industrial average. A financial "paper tiger."

A huge surplus during 90's that was created by "cooked books" from what was artificially pumped into the economy from what later turned out to be falsly profitable companies like ENRON.

Oh, and let's not forget another one from the Clinton era named Worldcom.

This all took place under the Clinton administration watch. wink

While I am not defending President Bush here when it comes to the economic practices that we've seen in this country over the last several years, please, let's not paint such a rosey and colorful picture that implies that President Clinton and his years in office produced such a real influx of economical value for us Americans. Try painting that rosey picture to all of those hard working people who lost not only their jobs, but their pensions and everything else that they worked so hard for while working for those dot-coms, Enrons and Worldcoms.

The financial and economical benefits of the 90's, during the Clinton years, only appeared to be so wonderful. The mid to late 90's appeared to be so wonderful financially because the dot-com boom appeared to be making billions and billions of $$$ along with the Enron and Worldcom type companies. The dot-coms turned out to be bullshit while at the same time the Enrons and the Worldcoms were cooking their books. And this all took place during the Clinton years, under his watch, and wound up collapsing as we started a new millinium. The dot-com dominated NASDAQ market spiraled downward in what turned out to be close to something like a $3 trillion loss. Workers saw their money dissappear and found out that they had worked all of those years only to wind up without either a pension or a health plan!

A false "surplus" that was "left over from the Clinton years" for the next administration to 'inherit" and clean up!

Just admit it...you miss Bubba as President. wink

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #520542
11/15/08 11:43 PM
11/15/08 11:43 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Oh, puh-leeze, DC. How can you take those eight words from my entire post out of context and comment on them? Why didn't you bother to respond to the rest of the post which spoke to the horror that the past eight years has been, and the completely and totally incompetent manner in which the Bush administration handled everything? Instead, you took eight words and spun quite the little fantasy about them.

Plenty of people made fortunes on those dot coms. And how would Enron impact the federal budget?

Perhaps you can explain to me how the federal budget had a "fake" surplus. It was either there, or it wasn't. And according to this chart from www.factcheck.org, it was definitely there.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: Sicilian Babe] #520567
11/16/08 12:20 AM
11/16/08 12:20 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
I despise Clinton personally, but he was a god-send to fiscal conservatives.

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #520578
11/16/08 12:40 AM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
I've noticed that SNL has made fun of everybody in the campaign except for Obama. I wonder why they won't go after him?

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: Mignon] #520579
Palm Bay, Florida
Santino Brasi Offline
The Don's Official Sooth Sayer
Santino Brasi  Offline
The Don's Official Sooth Sayer
Underboss
Palm Bay, Florida
They Haven't came up with a way to make fun of him yet, they said it in the paper

He - (Simón Bolívar) - was shaken by the overwhelming revelation that the headlong race between his misfortunes and his dreams was at that moment reaching the finishing line. The rest was darkness. "Damn it," He sighed. "How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!"

So what’s the labyrinth?

That’s the mystery isn’t it? Is the labyrinth living or dying? Which is he trying to escape - the world, or, the end of it?
Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: Santino Brasi] #520681
11/16/08 12:06 PM
11/16/08 12:06 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: Santino_Brasi
They Haven't came up with a way to make fun of him yet, they said it in the paper

Also, he's boring. Not Al Gore ridiculously dull boring, but Obama has just not been successfully defined by comics, outside of "just another politician."

"I know what his campaign slogan in 2012 will be, "Don't Change!"" - Jay Leno

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: Just Lou] #520773
11/17/08 02:09 AM
11/17/08 02:09 AM
Staten Island / New Jersey
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

Originally Posted By: Just Lou
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
Staten Island White Gang beats up Muslim Teenager after Obama's Victory

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime...eat_me_s-1.html

The initial reaction here is "bullshit", but it is still under investigation.

Looks like most people, including myself, are wrong:

Staten Island teens' night of hatred targeted others, prosecutors say.

It was pure hatred that prompted two 18-year-olds from Staten Island's East Shore to allegedly jump in their car and cruise to Stapleton to seek out an African American, any African American, to pummel bloody, on the night Barack Obama became the country's president elect.

Those were the charges leveled by the District Attorney's office at Ralph Nicoletti of Wadsworth Avenue, Fort Wadsworth, and Bryan Garaventa of the 100 block of Maryland Avenue in Rosebank -- both 18 -- during their arraignment this morning at Stapleton Criminal Court. (Click here for a photo gallery.)

The defendants, looking pale and exhausted, were both charged with assault in the second degree as a hate crime and criminal possession of a weapon, in connection with the election night incident, in which they are accused of jumping out of their slow-moving vehicle on Vanderbelt Avenue, and setting upon 17-year-old Ali Kamara, beating the teen bloody with a pipe and an asp baton, while yelling "Obama."

"This is a despicable crime," said Assistant District Attorney Mario Mattei, as the defendants stood wearing jeans in front of Judge Desmond Green. "They were out to target black people."

About a dozen of the suspects' family members looked on from the back of the court room.

As the young defendants' mothers stood by their sides -- Nicoletti's mother bald from treatments from what his attorney called a terminal illness -- the judge set bail at $10,000 cash or $25,000 collateral. The two are set to return to court Thursday.

Two additional suspects are also being sought according to police. The men, according to court papers, got riled up for their night by saying "let's get some n----" and beat Kamara with a pipe and an asp baton, calling the weapon a "n---- beater."

The victim needed staples to close the lacerations in his head, and the impact of the attack badly bruised his legs, arms and torso.

Before sneaking up from behind Kamara in their car with their headlights turned off and then jumping him, the defendants committed a number of other crimes of hatred, according to the District Attorney's office, which is continuing to gather evidence.

They yelled racial slurs from their car at a crowd gathered outside a Stapleton barber shop, where people had gathered to celebrate the historic victory of President-elect Obama.

The FBI and the United States Department of Justice are also investigating the crime, according to the District's Attorney's office.

Attorneys for the defendants would not comment on the incident, but said their clients would make bail.

Family and friends shunned questions from the press, as they ducked out of the courtroom

Garaventa and Nicoletti could face 15 years if convicted.

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: Mignon] #520776
11/17/08 02:16 AM
11/17/08 02:16 AM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

In a van down by the river!
Originally Posted By: Mignon
I've noticed that SNL has made fun of everybody in the campaign except for Obama. I wonder why they won't go after him?

What would you make fun of him for? All the guy who played him could really do was put on big ears and overdo his pauses while speaking.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: Longneck] #520779
11/17/08 02:25 AM
11/17/08 02:25 AM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Originally Posted By: Longneck
Originally Posted By: Mignon

What would you make fun of him for? All the guy who played him could really do was put on big ears and overdo his pauses while speaking.

It might have been funny if a white guy did that.

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: Blibbleblabble] #520792
11/17/08 08:00 AM
11/17/08 08:00 AM
Happy Valley
Freddie C. Offline
Underboss
Freddie C.  Offline
Underboss
Happy Valley
The funny thing to do with Obama would be to make him more of a hip-hop, gangsta type black guy. Have him talk like characters on his favorite show, The Wire. But they won't because that would be "racist".

Gen. Petraeus 2012

"The Dewey Decimal System... What a scam that was!"
Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: Freddie C.] #520795
11/17/08 08:14 AM
11/17/08 08:14 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Originally Posted By: Freddie C.
The funny thing to do with Obama would be to make him more of a hip-hop, gangsta type black guy. Have him talk like characters on his favorite show, The Wire. But they won't because that would be "racist".

Gen. Petraeus 2012

yeah, because that IS racist, and not based on what he was/is doing. Now for Palin, she is unconsciously a comical figure, I didn't even have to watch SNL.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: afsaneh77] #520797
11/17/08 09:37 AM
11/17/08 09:37 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I heard some comedian talk about this a while back. They have the SNL comedian (don't know his name) do Obama. He's good, and sounds a lot like Obama, has his expressions and manner of speaking down. Yet, so far, there really isn't something they can "jab" with constant jokes. ohwell

President Ford only needed to trip and that started a blizzard of jokes. Remember Chevy Chase? lol Reagan they got with his age and caught his mannerisms perfectly and they were funny. I remember way way back them mocking JFK exaggerating his Boston accent. There was even a comedy album by Vaughn Meter making fun. Oh, and Bush is such a fuck-up, he is a comedans dream. It's impossible to compete with thatlol

If, as time goes on, and we get to know Obama more, and he "trips" or does/says something that would be great material, you can bet the comedians will jump on it. Right now though, I think he's boring material for a comedian anyway.

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 11/17/08 09:42 AM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #520816
11/17/08 12:49 PM
11/17/08 12:49 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

The guy who does Obama on SNL doesn't have him "nailed" quite yet. He is going to be hard to impersonate. They did make a move in the right direction last week, however by having a guy impersonate Joe Biden. Although the impression needs work, Biden with all his grins, gaffes, and talking too long is a great source for comedians.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: dontomasso] #520837
11/17/08 02:37 PM
11/17/08 02:37 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Fred Armisen does Obama and he's doing the best with it that one can. Jason Sudeihes does Biden and it too is the best one can do with it. Neither offers salient personal characteristics to impersonate.

However, Palin's high pitch intonation, her dropping of "Gs" at the end of words, her "oh shucks" expressions, and her glaring lack of knowledge about the Constitution all p[rovided a rich pool of imitatable behavior and mannerisms.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: olivant] #520839
11/17/08 02:47 PM
11/17/08 02:47 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: olivant

However, Palin's high pitch intonation, her dropping of "Gs" at the end of words, her "oh shucks" expressions, and her glaring lack of knowledge about the Constitution all p[rovided a rich pool of imitatable behavior and mannerisms.

YOU BETCHA lol

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: dontomasso] #520842
11/17/08 03:00 PM
11/17/08 03:00 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
YOU BETCHA lol

Maverick!

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: Mignon] #520997
11/18/08 02:01 PM
11/18/08 02:01 PM
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

McCain-backer Lieberman keeps Senate chairmanship
Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:54pm EST

By Thomas Ferraro and Richard Cowan

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Senate Democrats on Tuesday yielded to the wishes of President-elect Barack Obama and allowed Joe Lieberman to keep his committee chairmanship despite having backed Republican John McCain for the White House.

At a closed-door meeting, Senate Democrats meted out lesser punishment, passing a resolution of disapproval and stripping Lieberman of the chairmanship of an environment subcommittee.

There were fears that Lieberman, a former Democrat turned independent, might become a Republican if he lost the chairmanship of the Homeland Security Committee.

"This is not a time for retribution," said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, a Nevada Democrat, adding that "we need to be unified" as the Democratic-led Congress wrestles with a host of problems, including the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression.

"This is all about going forward," Lieberman, flanked by a number of Senate Democrats, told reporters.

Democratic aides said Obama, shortly after winning the November 4 election for the presidency over McCain, urged Democrats to do what it takes to keep Lieberman, who represents Connecticut, in their Senate conference where he routinely votes with them.

Lieberman allowed Democrats to retain control of the Senate, 51-49, the past two years by caucusing with them. Democrats enlarged their Senate majority in the November 4 election, but many believe they could still use Lieberman's vote on a number of issues.

With newly elected Senate Democrats voting, the Democratic conference agreed on a 42-13 tally to allow Lieberman to keep the chairmanship of homeland security as well as a Senate armed services subcommittee, but lose the chairmanship of an environment subcommittee.

Lieberman backed McCain for president largely because McCain, unlike Obama, supported the unpopular Iraq war. In campaigning for McCain, Lieberman routinely ripped into Obama as misguided on what to do about the war, now in its sixth year.

The resolution approved by the Senate Democrats said their caucus "disapproves and rejects statements made by Senator Lieberman against Senator Obama during the campaign for the presidency."

Said Reid, "I defy anyone to be more angry than I was" with Lieberman's words, calling it "a period of time in Joe Lieberman's political career I will never understand or approve."

But Reid then talked about Lieberman's contributions to Senate Democrats and to the country, recounting that as a young man Lieberman traveled to the South to work in the civil rights movement. In 2000, Lieberman, a moderate, was Democratic presidential nominee Al Gore's vice presidential running mate.

Lieberman won re-election to a fourth term in the Senate as an independent in 2006 after losing the Democratic primary due mostly to his support for the Iraq war.

Lieberman then served in the Senate with both presidential candidates -- McCain representing Arizona and Obama serving Illinois until he resigned on Sunday.

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: Just Lou] #520999
11/18/08 02:02 PM
11/18/08 02:02 PM
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

ABC News

Clinton's Sec. of State Chances Improving

Obama Staff Vetting Bill Clinton's Foreign Dealings
By JAKE TAPPER

Nov. 18, 2008 —

President-elect Barack Obama is inching closer to naming former rival Sen. Hillary Clinton as his secretary of state, ABC News has learned.

Serious progress has been made in the talks between the two, leaving both Obama and Clinton increasingly optimistic that the assignment will happen, sources say.

Putting Clinton in charge of foreign policy would make for a remarkable partnership, considering the long and bitter primary battles between the two senators for the presidential nomination, and their intense tangles over foreign policy.

Clinton would give the Obama administration someone who is already a familiar face to many foreign heads of state, as well as to foreign populations around the world, who know her and her husband from the Clinton presidency.

Her appointment, however, would also come with complications stemming from Bill Clinton's constant world travels and fundraising among foreigners for his presidential library and William J. Clinton Foundation.

Bill Clinton's ventures are being vetted by Obama attorney Christine Varney, as well as by Obama transition officials, who are known and trusted by the Clintons, as well as by some officials at Clinton's philanthropic foundation to make sure there is nothing that could complicate or compromise an Obama foreign policy.

For instance, the most widely reported example of potential presidential embarrassment or policy complications are reports that Bill Clinton traveled to Kazakhstan in 2005 with mining investor Frank Giustra, despite criticism from U.S. officials, including Hillary Clinton, of the country's human rights record.

Within days of the trip, Giustra's company landed a multimillion dollar deal to buy into uranium projects with Kazakhstan. Months later, Giustra donated $31.3 million to the Clinton foundation, with a pledge of more to come.

Nevertheless, sources familiar with the negotiations believe Clinton's appointment as secretary of state could perhaps happen as early as next week.

Obama has made a point of mending fences with his former rivals. He met with Hillary Clinton at his Chicago transition headquarters last week and sat down Monday with Sen. John McCain, the Republican he defeated on Election Day.

The president-elect also met with New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, another one-time presidential contender who later endorsed Obama.

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: Just Lou] #521006
11/18/08 02:22 PM
11/18/08 02:22 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Michael Corleone would have never stood for this Lieberman thing. It would have gone like this:

Michael - You have to answer for what you did Joe.

Lieberman- I swear to God Barack I didn't do anything.

Michael- McCain lost. Palin is back in Alaska. We may have sixty senators without you. We have complete control in the House.

Lieberman - I swear on the kids, Mikey.

Michael - Ahhh that little farce you played with Harry Reid. You think that could fool a Corleone?

Lieberman - I'm innocent.

Michael - Give him a drink. Now tell me who contacted you to attack me on the campaing trail was it McCain or Rove?

Lieberman You've got it all wrong.

Michael - Go ahead take your drink but don't tell me you're innocent because it insults my intelligence and it makes me very angry. Now tell me who approached you?

Lieberman - It was Rove.

Michael - Good. Now get out of my sight.

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: dontomasso] #521041
11/18/08 09:48 PM
11/18/08 09:48 PM
California

California
They just called the Alaska Stevens/Begich race for Begich.
smile

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 11/18/08 09:50 PM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #521058
11/18/08 11:12 PM
11/18/08 11:12 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Does that mean the Dems have the magic # of seats now? Good Lord I hope not.

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: Mignon] #521059
11/18/08 11:16 PM
11/18/08 11:16 PM
California

California
Hi Mig,

I don't think so. Last I heard I think they were 2 short, but I'm not sure. There's still the Al Franken race that isn't counted but even IF he wins, I think it'll end up very close but not 60. ohwell JL or RR probably know the exacts.

smile

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 11/18/08 11:16 PM.

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #521061
11/18/08 11:28 PM
11/18/08 11:28 PM
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

I believe they are currently at 56 + the 2 Independents that vote with them.

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: Just Lou] #521062
11/18/08 11:33 PM
11/18/08 11:33 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Thanks guys.

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: Mignon] #521067
11/18/08 11:52 PM
11/18/08 11:52 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Ya know he's 85 years old. He needs to retire any way IMHO.

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: Mignon] #521068
11/19/08 12:01 AM
11/19/08 12:01 AM
California

California
I thought I heard his birthday is today. What a great day (year) for him. lol

TIS

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: Sicilian Babe] #521257
11/20/08 02:06 PM
11/20/08 02:06 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

Perhaps you can explain to me how the federal budget had a "fake" surplus. It was either there, or it wasn't.

I think that you actually answered your own question a few sentences down when you went on to say :

Plenty of people made fortunes on those dot coms. And how would Enron impact the federal budget?

Taxes paid to the federal government from these fortunes made from these FAKE dot-coms helped to create a financial surplus in the federal budget which in turn created what seemed like a booming economy. These fortunes that were being made also helped stimulate the economy by the spending that took place from the "cooked" profits that were being made which in turn allows the federal government to curtail federal spending and helps to allow, to what seemed to be, a surplus in the budget to grow.

Why didn't you bother to respond to the rest of the post which spoke to the horror that the past eight years has been, and the completely and totally incompetent manner in which the Bush administration handled everything?

confused

As I said in that original reply :

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

While I am not defending President Bush here when it comes to the economic practices that we've seen in this country over the last several years,

Once again, I am in no way defending what took place financially under President Bush and this administartion's watch, but by the same token I refuse to sit back and allow someone to paint a rosey picture for President Clinton and his administration and what was allowed to take place under his watch which made our economy look as though it was booming. What was allowed to take place under his watch caught up to us a few years later and had a big affect on our federal budget and our economy overall.

Both of these administrations are guilty of turning their heads or not being responsible for what has taken place in regards to this country's current negative financial situation. Both contributed in some way to what has now amounted to the financial disaster that we are facing.

Hopefully our President-Elect will live up to his campaign slogan and provide the "change" that he has continually promised us. He himself has said that it's time for "CHANGE" over what we've seen in the last 16 years.

"We need change."

- President Elect Obama

CHANGE!!!!

AND MORE CHANGE!!!!

But sincerely, for all of our sake, I really hope that he can and does bring change, for the better, to this country and it's people.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: Don Cardi] #521262
11/20/08 02:43 PM
11/20/08 02:43 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

While I do not absolve Clinton for everything he did, the 2003 legislation which pretty much deregulated everything was really the fina nail in the coffin, and this was under Bush's watch.

Personally I put a great deal of blame on Alan Greenspan. Basically he went along with the false assumption that we could continue to print money, lower interest rates, and give credit to anyone who asked for it. THAT was the fake prosperity of the Clinton and Bush years. I know many people who would max out their credit cards, buy new luxury cars, refinance their house, and then do the same thing over and over. These same people are now bitching that they should be bailed out. As along as people are borrowing money and spending it freely on everything, the economy appears to be far stronger than it is. In the mean time these geniuses on Wall Street were chopping up these bad loans and pawning them off on people betting they would get a return on these "secured" investments, assuming the value of real estate would always be rising. The geniuses, of course then paid themselve huge bonuses, and held all the realy bad paper, overvaluing it enormously.

IMHO Greenspan saw this coming and bailed his sorry ass out and dumped the mess on Bernake and Poulson (I believe Bush is literally running out the clock and is pretty much disengaged at this point).

I am hoping Obama picks Paul Volker for Sec of Treasury, if only for one year. Volker is 81, so all the administrative
and daily briefings etc should be handled by some under secretary to allow Volker and as many brains as he and Obama want to collect go to work on this mess.

Page 119 of 121 1 2 117 118 119 120 121

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull