GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (RushStreet), 394 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,982
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,354
Posts1,059,104
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Why just two? #517339
10/26/08 01:32 AM
10/26/08 01:32 AM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline OP
Special
mustachepete  Offline OP
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
In the book, of course, the final massacre is more limited than in the movie. I think one of the reasons is hinted at in the chapter telling the narrative of Vito's life. It says that, by the late 30's, Vito had achieved an agreement among all the major crime organizations in the country. That chapter says, "The agreement covered only spheres of influence and an agreement to enforce peace in the underworld." (emphasis added)

The day after McCluskey was killed, the NYPD put out word that all deals were off until the killer was turned over: "Massive raids began all over the city." The Five Families turned to the Corleones, but were told the matter was none of their business. That is the point where the families joined together in open warfare against the Corleones.

It's always seemed to me that the war had at least two phases. Those would be the Tataglia-Barzini campaign over drugs, and then the Five Families War over the McCluskey killing.

I've always had a sense that after McCluskey was villified and the police reestablished relations, Cuneo and Stracci pulled back in the war, if not dropped it completely. That sense, though, may come entirely from the fact that they weren't held accountable for Sonny.

Assuming that killing a police captain would be considered a breach of the peace by all parties, it seems to me that Stracci and Cuneo were not just allowed but required to make efforts to bring the killer to "justice," that the Corleones would see their efforts as consistent with the system that Vito had designed, and that that is why Stracci and Cuneo survived the book.

Thoughts appreciated.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Why just two? [Re: mustachepete] #517433
10/26/08 06:11 PM
10/26/08 06:11 PM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Excellent analysis!

Re: Why just two? [Re: Danito] #517438
10/26/08 06:52 PM
10/26/08 06:52 PM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
That is certainly a viable theory.

One of the reasons people have offered for Cuneo and Stracci not surviving the film is simply directorial license.

Re: Why just two? [Re: mustachepete] #517490
10/26/08 09:19 PM
10/26/08 09:19 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Puzo wrote something along the line of Stracci's Family being the least powerful but most well disposed to the Corleones of the Five Families in opposition to the Corleone Family.

As you point out the killing of a police captain would have been a serious breach of formal and informal rules and so Stracci and Cuneo would have had little choice but to go along with the war.

But since Stracci and Cuneo weren't the heavy hitters or instigators of the war, Vito and Michael may well have decided it wasn't necessary to take them out. They'd fall in line once Barzini and Tattaglia were removed. Vito may have reasoned, "Why make unnecessary enemies". Also since Cuneo's true power and business was still unknown to the outside world a statesman like Vito might not have seen much value to the Corleones or the larger organized crime structure of "outing" Cuneo by murdering him. As Sollozzo said "Blood is a big expense".

The movie amped up the violence to emphasize that Michael was settling the score for once and for all with anyone who had opposed his Family-no matter what....

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Why just two? [Re: Lilo] #517599
10/27/08 03:20 PM
10/27/08 03:20 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Very fine analysis, MP! smile
I agree that the primary reason for all being massacred in the film (including moving back Moe Green's assassination) was for FFC to make a more dramatic, violent denouement to the movie. It's worth keeping in mind that the ultra-vengeful, hyper-controlling, never-give-a-foe-a-pass Michael was a creature of GFII, not of the novel. So, it'd be logical for him (in the novel) to conclude (as others here said) that "blood is a big expense." And anyway, the murder of Barz and Tatt was a shot fired across Cuneo's and Stracci's bows. They were no real threat to him, or to Clemenza, his successor.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Why just two? [Re: Turnbull] #517708
10/27/08 10:50 PM
10/27/08 10:50 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline OP
Special
mustachepete  Offline OP
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Lilo, I think it's right that if the plan was developed with an eye toward keeping the "expense" to a minimum, then it would probably be Vito's counsel that led to that decision.

TB, I think Michael in the novel is actually closer to GF2 than he is to GF1. One of the most curious changes from the book is when movie Michael says, "It's not personal, Sonny. It's strictly business." In the book he says, "It's all personal, every bit of business....If a bolt of lightning hit a friend of his, the old man would take it personal....Accidents don't happen to people who take accidents as a personal insult."

In the book, Michael says that the massacre is partly vengeance for Sonny and Appolonia. I don't think the book's Michael would let Stracci and Cuneo off for tactical reasons.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Why just two? [Re: Turnbull] #517746
10/28/08 01:36 AM
10/28/08 01:36 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
I agree that the primary reason for all being massacred in the film (including moving back Moe Green's assassination) was for FFC to make a more dramatic, violent denouement to the movie.

That's it in a nutshell.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull