GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 366 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday Tommasino Neri.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,428
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,840
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,507
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,307
Posts1,058,307
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Great Stones in Don Corleone's Power Structure #50883
08/28/05 03:02 PM
08/28/05 03:02 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline OP
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline OP
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
In the opening scene of the novel at Connie's wedding, Don C. is talking to Tom about "The Senator", who the Don himself advised not to attend, but who sent a gift of antique silver, "very valuable", that, as hagen points out, "The kids can sell for a grand at least."

Puzo then writes

Don Corleone did not hide his pleasure that so great a man as the Senator had shown him such respect. The Senator, like Luca Brasi, was one of the great stones in the Don's power structure.

Given the fact that he was placed on a par with Luca Brasi, and that a Senator (A Senator)) could certainly be more valuable to the family than a simple muscle man, (no matter how unique Luca Brasi may have been), don't you find it somewhat disappointing that no further mention was ever made of him?

If I were reading the book for the very first time, I would have certainly expected the character of the Senator to have been at least partially developed.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: The Great Stones in Don Corleone's Power Structure #50884
08/28/05 05:48 PM
08/28/05 05:48 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Well...maybe. The novel had enough action from that point on that I didn't miss the Senator. But he might have made a useful character in the section on Vito's rise to power.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: The Great Stones in Don Corleone's Power Structure #50885
08/29/05 10:36 PM
08/29/05 10:36 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I think that the Senator was mentioned for illustrative purposes. He was a building block for sure, but I think he was brought up to show the reader the difference between the Corleones and other families. They were not simply about muscle. They were not all about violence. Don Vito was smart enought to see that politicians and judges were just as valuable as the best enforcer.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: The Great Stones in Don Corleone's Power Structure #50886
08/30/05 03:08 AM
08/30/05 03:08 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline OP
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline OP
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
True enough. But then we learn all about Luca Brasi, the stone who represents muscle and violence, and nothing about the Senator.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: The Great Stones in Don Corleone's Power Structure #50887
08/30/05 12:32 PM
08/30/05 12:32 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Maybe cause the Senator isn't a real friend, more a 'business-partner', while Vito considered Luca Brasi as a friend. They had know each other since the 'good days', and Luca wiped out single-handedly the Irish group that shot Vito.

Is there btw something in the book of when Luca and Vito met? Probably, but I'm too lazy too look it up.
It has to be after 1927, cause Luca wasn't in GFII.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: The Great Stones in Don Corleone's Power Structure #50888
08/31/05 06:32 AM
08/31/05 06:32 AM
England
Raymondo Corleone Offline
Capo
Raymondo Corleone  Offline
Capo
England
Yeah it's been so long since I have read the book that I forget the details, but in a nutshell Luca was a right mess and threw a baby in a fire, the Don straightened him out and Luca's been eternally grateful ever since. Something along those lines anyway, I remember it being a bit strange wink

"Just When I Thought I Was Out - They Pulled Me Back In....."
Re: The Great Stones in Don Corleone's Power Structure #50889
08/31/05 09:56 AM
08/31/05 09:56 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I think that the Senator was just supposed to be representative of the Don's political muscle. Luca Brasi, however, was there to illustrate how a man like Vito, who is portrayed as someone to like and admire, runs "that" side of the business. It is also to show how he gains the loyalty of such a man. The Senator? His loyalty is simply purchased, hence no interesting story.

Re: The Great Stones in Don Corleone's Power Structure #50890
08/31/05 01:22 PM
08/31/05 01:22 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
I think that the Senator was just supposed to be representative of the Don's political muscle. Luca Brasi, however, was there to illustrate how a man like Vito, who is portrayed as someone to like and admire, runs "that" side of the business. It is also to show how he gains the loyalty of such a man. The Senator? His loyalty is simply purchased, hence no interesting story.
Right, SB! In fact, I think the phrase used in the novel was something to the effect that the Senator, like Luca, was one of the Don's great building blocks. I think Puzo wrote it that way to make the point you made: that the Don's power rested on two kinds of muscle--violence and politics.
Enzo makes a good point about the Don regarding Luca as a "friend." In the movie, he even calls Luca "my most valued friend" [emphasis in original]. What does it say about the Don's "values" that he regards someone like Luca as his "most valued friend"? In the novel, Michael asks him about this, saying something like, "Why did you need Luca...an animal like that?" The Don replies to the effect that there are crazy people in the world who run around shouting "kill me, kill me." They can be used to advantage--which is what he did with Luca. That exchange put a bit more realistic spin on the Don's relationship with Luca.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: The Great Stones in Don Corleone's Power Structure #50891
08/31/05 05:09 PM
08/31/05 05:09 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
And if I recall, Vito tells Michael that men like Luca don't fear death, in fact they beg to be killed. However, if you can become the person that they fear will kill them, then you will have their loyalty forever. That is how Michael gains the trust of Al Neri, who someone (Tom perhaps?) refers to as Michael's Luca. I believe that is why Luca is such a complex man and an interesting character. How many of us don't fear death?

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull