GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 191 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,982
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,356
Posts1,059,114
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 45 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 44 45
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: ginaitaliangirl] #496320
06/28/08 09:57 PM
06/28/08 09:57 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Good for you, gina. That sounds like quite a haul!!

"Shoeless Joe" is different from the movie, but it's still a fun read.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: SC] #496416
06/29/08 08:56 AM
06/29/08 08:56 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I read Shoeless Joe not too long ago. It is quite different from the movie, but just as good in its own way.

Let me know when you start The Stand. Did you get the unedited version? King was upset with some of the stuff that they edited out of the original version and they did a re-release years after the original.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Sicilian Babe] #496677
06/30/08 11:41 PM
06/30/08 11:41 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
It's been over 30 years since I first read it, but I just reread Siege by Edwin Corley. It's about a military takeover of Manhattan by an army of black revolutionaries in exchange for a black nation in (get this) New Jersey.

I remember when the author was interviewed on a radio show about 1970 or so when it was published. Of course, the novel's storyline reflected the political/social times. It caught my attention again because I thought all you need do now is to substitute Muslim or Arab for black and you have a story with currency.

Some of it is quaint. It refers to IBM Executive typewriters, M-1 rifles, F-104s, TWA, and Whitey. Still, it's an interesting little novel and you might want to dredge it up and read it. For those of you who know New York city, you can probably navigate the geographical references better than I could.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Sicilian Babe] #496948
07/02/08 03:47 AM
07/02/08 03:47 AM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
SB, my copy of "The Stand" says that it is 'complete and uncut,' so that sounds like the right one. I think I'd read something about that, when I looked up the books before going to the store. You might have to wait quite a while on this slow reader, but I'll try to let you know when I get to it...someday. lol

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: ginaitaliangirl] #496961
07/02/08 07:34 AM
07/02/08 07:34 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I loaned The Stand to my husband for a flight to Germany once. He read it on the way there, read it on the way back, and then never picked it up again. I was like, "It's about the battle of good against evil and the world almost ends!! Don't you want to know who wins?" His reply, "I'll watch the miniseries."

The miniseries isn't bad, by the way. Jamie Sheridan who was on L&O was Flagg, and Gary Sinise was excellent as Stu. Rob Lowe, who had not been seen for a while before this because of a sex scandal, surprised everyone with some very good acting as Nick. Molly Ringwald was unbearably annoying, but the rest of the cast was very good.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Sicilian Babe] #496962
07/02/08 07:36 AM
07/02/08 07:36 AM
M
MiniMafiaBoss Offline
Underboss
MiniMafiaBoss  Offline
M
Underboss
Hey Sicilian Babe, The Stand is an ace book.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Sicilian Babe] #497141
07/03/08 02:53 AM
07/03/08 02:53 AM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
The miniseries isn't bad, by the way.

I agree SB! The book was one of the better books I've read (I think Stephen King has gone a little/lot crazy since his accident though) and the mini-series did a great job bringing the book to T.V. Although I think it might have been a little better if it didn't have the television restrictions, but it was still very good. I actually recorded it to my DVR a couple of months ago when it was on T.V. but haven't had time to watch it again.

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Blibbleblabble] #497277
07/03/08 02:15 PM
07/03/08 02:15 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
It's definitely one of my favorites, although Ringwald as Fran almost ruins it for me. She's like the Sofia Coppola of The Stand.

One of my favorites? Bill Fagerbakke as Tom. M-O-O-N! That spells Tom Cullen.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Irishman12] #499814
07/13/08 09:17 PM
07/13/08 09:17 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Just finished Bugliosi's Reclaming History about the Kennedy assassination. 1,500 pages and enough footnotes to make a book themselves. He pretty well covers the earth when it comes to addressing the facts and fallacies about the assassination. His style of writing is a little sarcastic when it comes to criticizing the conspiracy authors, but he does a good job of dispelling conspiracy theories.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: olivant] #499870
07/14/08 11:05 AM
07/14/08 11:05 AM
Don Sicilia Offline
Don Sicilia  Offline

I just finished Michael Lewis's Moneyball. I found the book to be very interesting, well written and an easy read to boot. A must for baseball fans, the book is about the methods used by the Oakland A's management to statistically value baseball players in order to take advantage of the inefficiencies in the "baseball player ability" market.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Don Sicilia] #501119
07/21/08 04:36 PM
07/21/08 04:36 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
JESUS OUT TO SEA by James Lee Burke.

A collection of short stories by one of the best crime writers alive today. Brilliant stuff! Thoroughly recommended to anyone.

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #501476
07/23/08 09:31 AM
07/23/08 09:31 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
The Last Lecture

Hihly overrated.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: dontomasso] #502466
07/31/08 03:28 PM
07/31/08 03:28 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
A crime book called HOLLYWOOD TOUGH by Stephen J. Cannell.

Not bad this. Mr. Cannell is a very successful TV executive by all accounts and he writes a fairly entertaining, fast paced tale, even if he does try to cram a bit to much into it.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Don Sicilia] #502469
07/31/08 03:48 PM
07/31/08 03:48 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don Jasani Offline
Underboss
Don Jasani  Offline
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Don Sicilia
I just finished Michael Lewis's Moneyball. I found the book to be very interesting, well written and an easy read to boot. A must for baseball fans, the book is about the methods used by the Oakland A's management to statistically value baseball players in order to take advantage of the inefficiencies in the "baseball player ability" market.

I read this a couple of months ago and totally agree. I would go so far as to say that Moneyball is the best baseball book of the last 25 years. As Don Sicilia said, most definitely a must read for baseball fans.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Don Jasani] #502478
07/31/08 04:59 PM
07/31/08 04:59 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Don Jasani
Originally Posted By: Don Sicilia

I read this a couple of months ago and totally agree. I would go so far as to say that Moneyball is the best baseball book of the last 25 years. As Don Sicilia said, most definitely a must read for baseball fans.

I enthusiastically join in the endorsement.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: klydon1] #502570
08/01/08 01:38 PM
08/01/08 01:38 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
T'other night I finished John Le Carré's The Night Manager (1993). Terrific. After a long adolescent hiatus, I'd forgotten how brilliant a writer Le Carré is.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #502691
08/03/08 02:49 PM
08/03/08 02:49 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I just finished one of Lee Strobel's books about Christ: The Case for the Real Jesus.

One error that he (and others) continually make is equating the accuracy of historical and geographical information in the Bible and related texts with the accuracy of alledged supernatural events like the Resurrection.

The leap from the historicity of natural to that of supernatural events is unwarranted by any measure of logic or polemic. But for some readers it is probably a slight of hand that they don't pick up on.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: olivant] #506804
08/29/08 04:29 PM
08/29/08 04:29 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Just finished "American Son" by Oscar De La Hoya.

A by the numbers account of his mega successful life!

It's enough to make you sick,he is handsome,he can fight,he can sing,he has thousands of women chasing him,he is a kickass businessman and comes across as such a nice fella sick

I hate him lol

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #506807
08/29/08 04:33 PM
08/29/08 04:33 PM
Palm Bay, Florida
Santino Brasi Offline
The Don's Official Sooth Sayer
Santino Brasi  Offline
The Don's Official Sooth Sayer
Underboss
Palm Bay, Florida
yeah you're right, he is a good singer... now, I'm goin into the kitchen to listen to some Tony Bennett records

He - (Simón Bolívar) - was shaken by the overwhelming revelation that the headlong race between his misfortunes and his dreams was at that moment reaching the finishing line. The rest was darkness. "Damn it," He sighed. "How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!"

So what’s the labyrinth?

That’s the mystery isn’t it? Is the labyrinth living or dying? Which is he trying to escape - the world, or, the end of it?
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Partagas] #507544
09/02/08 02:35 PM
09/02/08 02:35 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: Partagas
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
LUSH LIFE, by Richard Price

There's something Dostoevskian about Richard Price's writing for his way of ensnaring a whole atmosphere and richly turning it into an authentic aesthetic environment. He captures Lower East Side New York just as Dostoevsky does for St. Petersburg, with a full set of tensions and passions, blazing and smoldering, all full of life. And while Price lacks Dostoevsky's all-too-Russian tendency to throw prose economy out the window, the effect is just the same: this writing may floor you, and you might not want it to end.

The plot centers on the shooting of bartender Ike Marcus and the investigation of restaurant manager Eric Cash. Ike is a twenty-something writer-to-be/waiter whose artistic and cultural ambition comes off as doggedly annoying to Cash, who is Ike 10 years crustier and later, struggling to accept the denouement of his writing career, which --- as for so many young, hip, New York pseudo-literati --- failed before it began. As the investigation trudges on, Price uproots the political and socio-economic history and tensions of the neighborhood, and expands his lens to include an impressive and exciting array of characters and subplots.

There are three characteristics in LUSH LIFE that make it an amazing accomplishment. The first, it goes without saying, is the dialogue, which may be the best you've ever read or heard. If one has heard anything about Price, it's his virtuosic capacity for dialogue. Cops, hipsters, recovering hipsters, ethnic populations and every other supporting cast member sound crystal clear, saying just as much with the style of their speech as their content.

The second is his flair for tension. On the most basic level, the neighborhood is experiencing the clash of young, white gentrification, which seeks to push out the local ethnic communities enough to feel safe at night but not so much as to feel like midtown (though for some that may not be far enough). This modern arrangement sharply clashes with the Jewish-tenement history of the area (one man has converted a de-sanctified synagogue into his house --- but has another house for sleeping in). The hipsters are at war with themselves in an arms race for authenticity, which only pantomimes their fakery.

On a formal level, Price uses many of the alluring conventions of typical crime fiction, complete with a male-female cop duo that is actually original and interesting, while resisting the pull of trite genre fiction. And on a more individual scale, the lush characters of this novel are full of interpersonal tensions, and most of them are conflicted souls themselves. Price shows both sides of these stories but is more or less unforgiving as he paints few truly admirable characters and fewer heroes. But this isn't take-no-prisoners vigilante writing. There is a supple humanity in each of these souls, and while there is little heroism here, there's also little villainy.

Price's third gift is his ability to construct a city in letters. When reading LUSH LIFE, one feels transported into the thick of the Lower East Side's ugliness and beauty. This novel is endlessly expansive, and for every major plot line, there is enough character complexity and hidden narratives that demand one turns back and explores the side streets. A third of the way through, the more poetic writing slips away, but before disappointment sets in, this plot sculpted into a whole world invites the reader into its clutches. Good luck letting go; you may not wish to.

The appeal of this book is the appeal of New York itself: its beauty, its ugliness, the beauty from that ugliness, the constant change and destruction, overturning of the present that conjures ghosts from the past. Price says it best: "what really drew him to the area wasn't its full-circle irony but its nowness, its right here and nowness, which spoke to the true engine of his being, a craving for it made many times worse by a complete ignorance of how this `it' would manifest itself." LUSH LIFE destroys temporality, meshing past, present and the hopes and fears of the future. In doing so, it stretches into an infinite complexity that vibrantly photographs the landscape of our contemporary urban cultural consciousness.

**** (Four Stars) from Pizzaboy

Are you Max?
Partagas is referring to Max Falkowitz:

http://www.amazon.com/review/RIK7DAY4FZDZG

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: pizzaboy] #507545
09/02/08 02:42 PM
09/02/08 02:42 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
THE APPEAL, by John Grisham

A small Mississippi law firm wins a big verdict over a chemical giant, Krane, that has spread cancer causing pollutants. Krane is fearful that this verdict, if not overturned, will ruin them. They file an appeal that finds it way to the State Supreme Court. They also hire a sleazy firm to help unseat an "unfriendly" sitting Justice. This turns out to be a viable strategy because Mississippi elects their own Supreme Court Justices.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3SH4GBJVEQSO1

Last edited by Capo de La Cosa Nostra; 09/02/08 02:42 PM.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: pizzaboy] #507547
09/02/08 02:45 PM
09/02/08 02:45 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
THE MISUNDERSTOOD JEW, by Amy-Jill Levine ****

Relations between Jews and Christians have improved significantly since Louis Brandeis was appointed to the U.S. Supreme Court by Woodrow Wilson in 1916, an action that sparked widespread hatred against Jews across the country. In fact, one of the sitting justices, a Christian, shunned Brandeis by not talking to him and even leaving the room whenever the new justice spoke.

Despite the overall decline in anti-Semitism in America, occasional incidents, including attempts to convert Jews to Christianity, still occur. However, they should remind us that we must continue to be vigilant against its reappearance. For example, two years ago, an inebriated Mel Gibson, surrounded by three adoring women at a bar in a California city, was quoted by a reporter mouthing angry attacks against Jews who, he claimed, were causing many geopolitical problems in the world. In the fall of 2007, the conservative author and political activist Ann Coulter, told a TV news reporter that Jews need to be "completed," a code word for being converted to Christianity. Similarly, on Martin Luther King's birthday in January of 2007, a conservative Republican state legislator to the Virginia legislature, after having nonchalantly told black Americans to "get over" slavery, repeated the erroneous view still held by some fundamentalist and bigoted Christians that Jews killed Jesus Christ. A few weeks after this unfortunate incident, the Richmond Times-Dispatch featured a story in which it showed a Jewish delegate giving the Republican legislator a warm birthday embrace after he entered the floor of the Virginia House of Delegates. So much for the oft-held belief that Jews lack the capacity to be forgiving and compassionate!

Fortunately, there are serious scholars in our midst who can help us challenge the lingering prejudices and hatreds against Jews and point the way to a possible dialogue to gain a better understanding between our two faiths. In her excellent book, THE MISUNDERSTOOD JEW, Dr. Amy-Jill Levine writes eloquently about the importance of Christians seeing Jesus as the Jew that he always was. She is concerned that some Christians view Jesus as a Jew only in a superficial sense. In fact, she writes, Jesus was a Jew from his birth to his death. Moreover, he ate, talked and dressed like a Jew and obeyed the laws faithfully during his entire lifetime.

Dr. Levine's book offers excellent advice to believers who are troubled by the gospel writer John's statement that "the only way to the Father is through his Son," a statement that clearly implies to me that Dante's circles of hell may lie ahead for those who do not accept Christ as their Savior. Importantly, she provides a view of the Good Samaritan that is historically at odds with the way in which most Christians see the story, but which offers, I believe, a credible and suitable ending for both faiths.

Some Christians may have forgotten that the ancient Hebrews gave them many gifts, including the idea of monotheism, the wisdom and learning of the great Hebrew prophets, the Psalms, the Ten Commandments and lastly, and very importantly, Jesus himself who became their Christ. Importantly, as evidence of his Jewishness, Dr. Levine writes that Jesus' reference to the two commandments cited in the gospel of Mark 12:28-34--love God with all your heart and soul and love your neighbor as yourself--are in the Old Testament books of Deuteronomy 6:4-5 and Leviticus 19:18. Thus, they were not original to Christians, but provide compelling evidence that Jesus embodied the teachings of the ancient Hebrew prophets which some Christians often forget or do not choose to acknowledge.

In fact, similar verses as these should help establish the basis for constructive dialogue between the two faiths. "If possible," she writes, Christians and Jews need to "read the Scriptures in an interfaith setting." Furthermore, Dr. Levine writes that the "elimination of anti-Jewish readings must come from theologians, from those members of the church who conclude that anti-Judaism is wrong and who insist on Christian sensitivity on the issue." Above all, she says that "we must make every effort to see through each other's eyes, hear through each other's ears, and interpret with a consciousness of each other's sensitivities." Perhaps if we can begin the serious dialogues such as Dr. Levine advocates, we can further eliminate more instances of anti-Jewish feelings that continue to lurk in the minds of some people.

As a lifelong Catholic, I highly recommend this book.
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1QG6P2S03D6CH

HOLD TIGHT, by Harlan Coben ***

Harlan Coben is a master at writing novels with twists you didn't see coming and when they arrive, you never feel cheated. His current novel, HOLD TIGHT, is a page turner. My only criticisms are that there are so many sub plots that it is sometimes distracting and occasionally frustrating.

Coben starts fast and makes sure he's got you at the edge of your chair. A woman (Marianne) is sitting in a bar. Her internal dialogue is about her ability to screw up anything good in life. She's drawn into a conversation with a man and a woman sitting on either side of her, and the next thing you know, she's brutally murdered.

The novel switches to Dr. Mike Baye and his family; wife Tia and their two children. The Baye's teenage son, Adam, has become withdrawn, sullen and difficult, following the suicide of a friend. The Bayes are concerned and use a computer monitoring program to see what is going on in his life. While they are uncomfortable about spying, they believe it is their job as parents to keep Adam safe. The Bayes learn that Adam may be in some trouble.

The threads of the book begin fanning out as we meet Hester Crimstein, Tia's no-nonsense boss who demands work be number one in her employees' lives, The Lorimans have a critically ill son, Lucas, and it seems Susan Loriman has been keeping secrets from her husband.

Jill Baye is eleven and friends with Yasmin, who is being raised by a single father. Yasmin's been targeted by an unthinking teacher, and the result is devastating. We visit the local police and get involved in department struggles and whew! it is a lot to work with.

After Adam Baye disappears (he was supposed to see a hockey game with his father), his father Mike searches for him and is assaulted. Mike knows there is more going on than a missing son who is going through a troubling adolescence. It's his job as a parent to find out the truth. But the truth may cost some lives.

There is a lot of entertainment in HOLD TIGHT, but there is also much to think about.
http://www.amazon.com/review/R36XV711R2GEG8

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #509082
09/11/08 03:58 PM
09/11/08 03:58 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
David Trimble:The Price of Peace!

The Ulster politician and Nobel prize winner talks about his life and career since the peace process was sorted!

Worth a read but slightly heavy going in places.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #509088
09/11/08 04:15 PM
09/11/08 04:15 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I've been reading absolute crap. When I had my surgery, someone brought me a Jeffrey Deaver book. He's a mystery/detective writer. He is not particularly good, but his books are quite addictive in an odd way. I sent my daughter to the library and she checked out every one of his books that she could get her hands on. I'm on my 9th. They only take a day or two to read, and I guess they're the literary equivalent of junk food. Oddly satisfying, empty nutritionally, yet essential every now and then.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Sicilian Babe] #509106
09/11/08 06:19 PM
09/11/08 06:19 PM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

In a van down by the river!
I'm currently in the middle of about 5 books with maybe 10 I have that I haven't read yet.

The Westies by T.J. English. This is a book about Hell's Kitchen's Irish Mob.

The Outfit by Gus Russo. Chicago mafia history and how it has shaped America.

Dexter in the Dark by Jeff Lindsay. A book in the series that spawned the TV show Dexter on Shotime.

Positively 5th Street by James McManus. A journalist plays in the World Series of Poker and lives to write about it.

Scared Money by James L Hime. A Barnes and Nobles Bargain book, written in a disctintly Texas voice but the plot seems a little out there with the CIA and all that. The writing can be pretty good at times in the book, so I'll probably stick with it. It's my current bathroom book.

I want to read Hit and Run by Lawrence Block. It's the latest book in the Keller series but it's also $25 and I can't bring myself to pay it no matter how good it may be.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Longneck] #509737
09/15/08 10:34 AM
09/15/08 10:34 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
THE POET AND THE MUDERER by Simon Worrall!

Intriguing true life tale about the Mormon forger Mark Hofmann who resorted to murder to try and cover his tracks. The poet in question is Emily Dickinson who Hofmann tried to forge also when he ran out of Mormon documents to do.

A clever book, full of tips about forgery for anyone who is looking for a new career lol

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #509741
09/15/08 10:46 AM
09/15/08 10:46 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

A clever book, full of tips about forgery for anyone who is looking for a new career lol

Yogi, you scoundrel! lol

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: pizzaboy] #509742
09/15/08 11:01 AM
09/15/08 11:01 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
whistle

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #509843
09/16/08 11:22 AM
09/16/08 11:22 AM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
If there are any David Sedaris fans out there, you definitely need to pick up his latest book, When You Are Engulfed in Flames.

A collection of essays spanning his life, the subjects range from Sedaris' obsession with seeing a dingo while vacationing in Australia (not knowing its just a dog), to his obsession with a family of spiders in his home, to attempting to quit smoking in Tokyo. All rather mundane subjects, but made absolutely hilarious by Sedaris' expert timing and droll sense of humor.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: XDCX] #511608
09/25/08 10:38 AM
09/25/08 10:38 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
FRACTURED by KARIN SLAUGHTER.

Found this lying around at work so i read it over the last 2 nights.

Not to bad,not to good i would say.

I understand she sells a lot of books and is very popular but i wouldn't want to buy one. Finding one on night shift and reading it for nothing is just right wink

Page 14 of 45 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 44 45

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull