GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Liggio), 344 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,611
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,092
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,378
Posts1,059,590
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
THE DARK KNIGHT #500902
07/20/08 09:30 AM
07/20/08 09:30 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Some cirtics have been comparing this film to --- dare I say it---- The Godfather.

I had the privilege to see it two days ago, and it is certainly the best film so far this year, brilliant acting, astounding music, great filming and a nuanced social commentary about good vs. evil that in fact approaches the majesty of FFC's masterpiece. I'll withhold judgment as to whether a comparison to the GF is apt, but I donot hesitate to say that not since GFII has there been a better sequel.

Heath Ledger's performance lived up to all the hype, and his character will go down as one of the greatest in the histryof cinema.

I say to everyone RUN to see this picture.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: dontomasso] #500903
07/20/08 10:02 AM
07/20/08 10:02 AM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
I Didn't like it. Over hyped in my opinion. My Aussie friend did a good job, But all the hype is misplaced I reckon.

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: whisper] #500909
07/20/08 10:48 AM
07/20/08 10:48 AM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
The comparisons are valid. As far as being one of the great modern crime dramas, it clicks on every cylinder imaginable. I simply can't but into words how sublime and satisfying those two and a half hours were. I've loved Batman all my life, and I used to worship Jack's Joker and watch the Burton films non-stop...The Dark Knight obliterated any nostalgia I had towards the earlier films because it's EASILY the best Batman film ever, and it's not even close. Begins was definitely a stepping stone towards greatness but this film executed on every level imaginable. Not once while Heath Ledger was becoming immortal on that screen did I even remember that he was dead or that it was even him on the screen...he BECAME this role and any dream or expectation I had of my favorite character perhaps ever being brought to life again was surpassed and electrified. Ledger gave one of the greatest performances I've ever seen, period.

This film exceeds the hype and is as satisfying as "that" gangster picture, although I don't really see the comparisons. Forget that the source for TDK is a comic book, because it makes no difference. It's majestic and explosive on the level of "that" movie.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Don Andrew] #500910
07/20/08 10:54 AM
07/20/08 10:54 AM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #500916
07/20/08 11:43 AM
07/20/08 11:43 AM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

In a van down by the river!
I usually hate comic book movies and avoid them like the plague. This one looks interesting.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Longneck] #500920
07/20/08 12:05 PM
07/20/08 12:05 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
I have the same reaction as Whisper. If so many people like it, there must be something I must have missed. Any first time batman viewers here? I am. I haven't seen/read any of the batman stuff before. So that makes me farthest from the Batman fans like DA.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: svsg] #500933
07/20/08 01:56 PM
07/20/08 01:56 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: svsg
I have the same reaction as Whisper. If so many people like it, there must be something I must have missed. Any first time batman viewers here? I am. I haven't seen/read any of the batman stuff before. So that makes me farthest from the Batman fans like DA.

Well there you go.

I think all those BB.Net/FCM personalities who loved DARK KNIGHT, also liked the earlier BATMAN BEGINS, which is the foundation that DARK KNIGHT was built upon.

To put it another way, imagine seeing THE GODFATHER PART II without seeing the first one. You're missing something in the process.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #500943
07/20/08 03:10 PM
07/20/08 03:10 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
You are right RRA, I didn't want to watch this first, but got carried away by the hype and couldn't resist the temptation. I guess I myself spoiled my entertainment frown

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: dontomasso] #500975
07/20/08 07:51 PM
07/20/08 07:51 PM
Graveyard
The Iceman Offline
Official BB Hitman
The Iceman  Offline
Official BB Hitman
Underboss
Graveyard
I caught the late show last night and I must say it was ok however that is all I can say. Considering how much hype there was surrounding it I was expecting much more. Course I'm willing to bet most of the hype was due to this being Heath's final completed film.

I must admit Heath Ledger did a good job playing the Joker, and he revived his image in my eyes after he did that other piece of sh*t film that I don't dare bring myself to say.

Like most Sequels this one does not match up to the original. Now as for some of those critics comparing this to the Godfather uhwhat mad those critics need to have their heads examined by numerous professionals.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: The Iceman] #500985
07/20/08 08:15 PM
07/20/08 08:15 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: The Iceman
I must admit Heath Ledger did a good job playing the Joker, and he revived his image in my eyes after he did that other piece of sh*t film that I don't dare bring myself to say.
I quite enjoyed The Patriot, bad history aside.

Last edited by Capo de La Cosa Nostra; 07/21/08 10:04 AM.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #500989
07/20/08 08:51 PM
07/20/08 08:51 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
I quote enjoyed The Patriot, bad history aside.

Even where the British are shown as Nazis? grin

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: The Iceman] #500991
07/20/08 09:08 PM
07/20/08 09:08 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL

You mean Brokeback Mountain, the film about two homosexual cowboys and the "forbidden" relationship they carry; concealed due to the fact that they lived in a world filled with the kind of prejudice that oozes through your post? Did the love scenes make you squirm? Did the thought of lustful sex between two men madly in love make you feel so uncomfortable in your coonskin cap that you had to get up, take a few laps and stretch? Why so serious?

Did you see it? smile

Quote:
Now as for some of those critics comparing this to the Godfather uhwhat mad those critics need to have their heads examined by numerous professionals.

Why? Now, I would like you to really elaborate on this one. I want to hear some reasons...a solid foundation; because frankly, you're just too much fun.

Last edited by Don Andrew; 07/20/08 09:36 PM. Reason: much, too much fun.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: The Iceman] #500999
07/20/08 11:32 PM
07/20/08 11:32 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Now as for some of those critics comparing this to the Godfather uhwhat mad those critics need to have their heads examined by numerous professionals.

Ditto!

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: olivant] #501001
07/20/08 11:51 PM
07/20/08 11:51 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
BTW, this movie has reached IMDB #1 movie of all time.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: olivant] #501012
07/21/08 08:51 AM
07/21/08 08:51 AM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
Originally Posted By: olivant

Ditto!

Have you seen it? If you have not, you really need to shut the fuck up.

As a fan of Batman for my entire life, no material has ever delivered on the character quite like this and thus clicked on every level for me. For me, it's definitely on the level of "that" gangster picture in it's majesty and grand scale. Emotionally, it's as charged for me as "that" gangster picture and I'm putting on the level. K? That cool with you? cool rolleyes

Last edited by Don Andrew; 07/21/08 09:02 AM.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Don Andrew] #501014
07/21/08 09:48 AM
07/21/08 09:48 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Why should anyone shut the fuck up? He's as entitled to his opinion as anyone else. You can disagree with it and state your reasons why you disagree with it, but you have absolutely NO right to tell anyone to shut the fuck up.

It's obvious from your passion for "much, too much fun" that you are as intolerant of differing opinions as those you claim to speak against.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Sicilian Babe] #501017
07/21/08 10:04 AM
07/21/08 10:04 AM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
No no no, it's obvious that he has not seen it and has no intention of seeing it and therefore his opinion is nil on everything related to this film. cool

Hey, how's it going?
Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Sicilian Babe] #501018
07/21/08 10:13 AM
07/21/08 10:13 AM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Before we start ranting and raving about rights (an all-too-easy horse to straddle)...

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Why should anyone shut the fuck up? He's as entitled to his opinion as anyone else. You can disagree with it and state your reasons why you disagree with it, but you have absolutely NO right to tell anyone to shut the fuck up.
That's taking him quite literally, to be fair. As literally, perhaps, as you may say DA took The Iceman in the first place, when the latter said critics needed their heads looked at by numerous professionals for putting this on the same platform as The Godfather.

To be fair, though, there's much more chance of The Iceman actually meaning his meaningless sentence literally than DA meaning his. And DA's quick retort to Olivant was justified. "Ditto!" is more or less licking the winnits of shit out of somebody's arse regardless of their taste.

(Refer to this recent thread for more bullshit. And you needn't defend people's right to an opinion; if you do, please encourage alongside it that they validate their opinions with some reasoning, instead of peppering threads with comments they don't in any way back up. There's a reason why DA is "intolerant" of Olivant and The Iceman, and has let svsg and whisper's reserved responses to the film slide.)

Anyway, we really ought not waste our time picking out the logical fallacies of someone who types stuff like this:

I must admit Heath Ledger ... revived his image in my eyes after he did that other piece of sh*t film that I don't dare bring myself to say.

lol

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Don Andrew] #501036
07/21/08 11:04 AM
07/21/08 11:04 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Don Andrew

Ditto!

Have you seen it? If you have not, you really need to shut the fuck up.

As a fan of Batman for my entire life, no material has ever delivered on the character quite like this and thus clicked on every level for me. For me, it's definitely on the level of "that" gangster picture in it's majesty and grand scale. Emotionally, it's as charged for me as "that" gangster picture and I'm putting on the level. K? That cool with you? cool rolleyes

Babe, thanks for common sense statements.

But DA, your rantings and hyperbole are characteristic of a peurile and frustrated mind. Still, don't feel lonely. You have those characteristics in common with a few others who post to this Board. You have found some solace in parading around in your Batman costume and imaging your heroic exploits as you madly attack your keyboard. But, take a break. Just return to the bathroom one in awhile and try to finish what you started.

Last edited by olivant; 07/21/08 11:07 AM.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: olivant] #501037
07/21/08 11:07 AM
07/21/08 11:07 AM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
But DA, your rantings and hyperbole are characteristic of a peurile and frustrated mind. Still, don't feel lonely. You have those characteristics in common with a few others who post to this Board. You have found some solace in madly attacking your keyboard. But, give yourself a break. Just return to the bathroom and try to finish what you started.
Ad hominem.

Meaningless drivel.

Address the issue DA brought up with you:
Quote:
Have you seen it?

Last edited by Capo de La Cosa Nostra; 07/21/08 11:08 AM.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #501038
07/21/08 11:09 AM
07/21/08 11:09 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
But DA, your rantings and hyperbole are characteristic of a peurile and frustrated mind. Still, don't feel lonely. You have those characteristics in common with a few others who post to this Board. You have found some solace in madly attacking your keyboard. But, give yourself a break. Just return to the bathroom and try to finish what you started.
Ad hominem.

Meaningless drivel.

Address the issue DA brought up with you:
Quote:
Have you seen it?

No.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #501039
07/21/08 11:10 AM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Phew, I'm glad I quoted you before you made the conscious decision to add this to your post:

You have found some solace in parading around in your Batman costume and imaging your heroic exploits as you madly attack your keyboard.

lol

Last edited by Capo de La Cosa Nostra; 07/21/08 11:15 AM. Reason: Added "to" in the first sentence.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: olivant] #501041
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
Babe, thanks for common sense statements.

But DA, your rantings and hyperbole are characteristic of a peurile and frustrated mind. Still, don't feel lonely. You have those characteristics in common with a few others who post to this Board. You have found some solace in parading around in your Batman costume and imaging your heroic exploits as you madly attack your keyboard. But, take a break. Just return to the bathroom one in awhile and try to finish what you started.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #501042
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
OK... Don Andrew, olivant - cut it out now. If you feel the need to attack each other, take it off the boards.

Stick to the argument at hand - whether or not you liked the movie (and fod God's sake give some reasons to explain "why").

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: olivant] #501043
07/21/08 11:11 AM
07/21/08 11:11 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I think that all Capo is trying to say is, Reserve your judgement until after you've seen it. That's hardly an unfair thing to ask. Actually, it makes quite a bit of sense.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: olivant] #501045
07/21/08 11:14 AM
07/21/08 11:14 AM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Quote:
Have you seen it?
No.
No further debate needed.

Now shut the fuck up.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #501046
07/21/08 11:15 AM
07/21/08 11:15 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
On a lighter note, how about Angeline Jolie as Catwoman??

MEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW............. lol

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #501047
07/21/08 11:16 AM
07/21/08 11:16 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
You too, Mick!!

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: SC] #501048
07/21/08 11:17 AM
07/21/08 11:17 AM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Yes, me too. I posted that while you were posting yours.

----------------------------

I can't wait to see this film. Nolan is probably my favourite director working in Hollywood.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #501049
07/21/08 11:19 AM
07/21/08 11:19 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Did you see it yet, SC?

Ah, you probably went to see MAMMA MIA this weekend and waxed nostalgic about the days when you had hair (the '70s). tongue lol

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull