GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,123
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,385
Posts1,059,733
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 69 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 68 69
Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: SC] #495301
06/24/08 10:45 AM
06/24/08 10:45 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: SC
Originally Posted By: klydon1
The team with the best interleague record this year? The Kansas City Royals at 10-3.

And the team with the worst interleague record? (First place) Philadelphia.

EDIT: I take that back... it's the Giants. Never mind.

[/Emily Latella]

A couple of other Interleague facts:

Through 2007 the AL has an advantage of 1387-1317. The NL won the head-to-head in 1997 (the first year), 1999,2002 and 2003.
Coming into this season, the Yankees have the best interleague winning pct. overall at .589, followed by the A's .582, the Marlins .565, and the Twins and Mariners at .552.
The Pirates (through 2007) have the worst interleague pct. at .377 while the Orioles have been worst in the AL at .409.
Also, after the 2007 season the best batting avg. in interleague belongs to Michael Young (.347), Thome leads in homers with 53 and Ramirez led with 139 RBIs. The overall RBI lead may have changed as Delgado finished 2007 with 138 career RBIs and ARod had 137.
Mussina led in wins with a 20-12 record and Johann Santana had the best ERA at 2.27 through '07. Rivera had a big lead in saves with 53.

Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: klydon1] #495303
06/24/08 10:54 AM
06/24/08 10:54 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: klydon1
Through 2007 the AL has an advantage of 1387-1317.

Wow. That's REALLY close!

Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: Longneck] #495305
06/24/08 11:29 AM
06/24/08 11:29 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Originally Posted By: Longneck
Originally Posted By: goombah
Interesting discussion on the Colts message boards...

Peyton Manning is more clutch than Tom Brady when 4 or more points are needed.

Brady took his team and scored the winning drive with less than 2 minutes in two separate Super Bowls. Brady was 1:00 short of finishing a perfect season, which was not made imperfect by any huge mistake by Brady.

Those drives you mentioned are when he needed 3 points and are not relevant to the 4 points or more debate.

And throwing an INT isn't a huge mistake by Brady?

You're a huge Indy homer, so you are completely splitting hairs about the points. The real debate is what QB do you want when your team is down by a TD or less. That answer for non-Indy fans is Brady. You threw out that Brady was picked off in the Super Bowl against the Giants - I simply forgot, but that just proves Brady is not Superman. That INT vs. Indy last year was the result of his entire team blowing the huge lead and having to throw into a prevent defense with little time on the clock. You're conveniently forgetting the choke job efforts Manning had vs. Pittsburgh in 2006 and his poor playoff game performances vs. the Pats (save the 2007 AFC Championship Game), let alone his horrific showing against the Jets in 2002.

You're taking this personally b/c you like Manning and the Colts. I do too. But the vast majority of non-partisan observers would take Brady over Manning with the game on the line and his team down by 7 or fewer points. You may hate Brady & NE, but the reality is he's the most clutch QB in the NFL of the past 10 years. His 1st Super Bowl was very similar to the matchup of NE - NYG: NE was given no chance against the high scoring Rams and he calmly lead his team for the winning drive in his first Super Bowl with less than 2:00 in his first year starting in the NFL. That is impressive. And that's coming from a fan who was vehemently rooting against the Pats, particularly this past year.

I agree with Klydon about Montana - he is the modern era QB I would most want to lead my team back. But the original debate was limited to Manning vs. Brady.

Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: goombah] #495308
06/24/08 11:39 AM
06/24/08 11:39 AM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL

You're a huge Indy homer, so you are completely splitting hairs about the points. The real debate is what QB do you want when your team is down by a TD or less. That answer for non-Indy fans is Brady. You threw out that Brady was picked off in the Super Bowl against the Giants - I simply forgot, but that just proves Brady is not Superman. That INT vs. Indy last year was the result of his entire team blowing the huge lead and having to throw into a prevent defense with little time on the clock. You're conveniently forgetting the choke job efforts Manning had vs. Pittsburgh in 2006 and his poor playoff game performances vs. the Pats (save the 2007 AFC Championship Game), let alone his horrific showing against the Jets in 2002.

You're taking this personally b/c you like Manning and the Colts. I do too. But the vast majority of non-partisan observers would take Brady over Manning with the game on the line and his team down by 7 or fewer points. You may hate Brady & NE, but the reality is he's the most clutch QB in the NFL of the past 10 years. His 1st Super Bowl was very similar to the matchup of NE - NYG: NE was given no chance against the high scoring Rams and he calmly lead his team for the winning drive in his first Super Bowl with less than 2:00 in his first year starting in the NFL. That is impressive. And that's coming from a fan who was vehemently rooting against the Pats, particularly this past year.

Sorry to piggy back, but great post and I agree.

Last edited by Don Andrew; 06/24/08 11:39 AM.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: goombah] #495310
06/24/08 11:58 AM
06/24/08 11:58 AM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

I do love the Colts, but this isn't personal, just business. wink I am using stats and critical thinking to try to prove my points rather than just emotions, so I don't know why you say I am taking it personally other than the fact that I happen to be a Colts fan.

Manning has a reputation for not being very clutch but it's based on only a few games.

The Pittsburgh game you talk about Manning doing poorly in he completed 22 of 38 passes for 290 yards, 1 TD 0 INTs. You'd have a different opinion of him if Vanderjerk made the FG and the Colts won in overtime, but our kicker missed so they never had the chance. There were many missed opportunities in that game for the Colts, and most of them weren't Manning's fault.

You can't lay the losses all on Manning and the wins all on Brady. A 42-0 loss in the playoffs means the defense did a pretty horrible job too.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: SC] #495313
06/24/08 12:03 PM
06/24/08 12:03 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Originally Posted By: SC
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I read in the paper that Schilling's surgery went well.

There was a screen crawl on tv here that doctors said he'd be up and pitching by the new year. You think he'll come back??

He's what - 41?? I think that he should probably retire. I guess they'll see how he does in January, and go from there.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: Longneck] #495316
06/24/08 12:20 PM
06/24/08 12:20 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA

I do love the Colts, but this isn't personal, just business. wink I am using stats and critical thinking to try to prove my points rather than just emotions, so I don't know why you say I am taking it personally other than the fact that I happen to be a Colts fan.

Manning has a reputation for not being very clutch but it's based on only a few games.

The Pittsburgh game you talk about Manning doing poorly in he completed 22 of 38 passes for 290 yards, 1 TD 0 INTs. You'd have a different opinion of him if Vanderjerk made the FG and the Colts won in overtime, but our kicker missed so they never had the chance. There were many missed opportunities in that game for the Colts, and most of them weren't Manning's fault.

You can't lay the losses all on Manning and the wins all on Brady. A 42-0 loss in the playoffs means the defense did a pretty horrible job too.

That's fair - those losses weren't totally Manning's fault nor were the wins entirely Brady.

That Pittsburgh game though, the stats are misleading. Much of those numbers were padded when the Colts found themselves down 16-0, much of it due to Manning's ineffectiveness. I remember Manning looking uncomfortable and having horrible mechanics for much of that game. Plus his line could not handle the blitz. That game was, IMO, one of their worst losses ever. They had home field throughout the playoffs, were 14-2 in a year when Manning was amazing. Worst of all, that was a home game against a 6th seed. Granted the Steelers got hot at the right point in the season, but they should have been blown out by the Colts in that situation. They would have never even been in position for Vandy's miss had Cowher not made one of the dumbest calls in playoff history - that fumbled Bettis goal-line handoff instead of kneeling down and waiting for the FG attempt to effectively put the game out of reach.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I would take Manning on my team in a heartbeat. He's a first-ballot HOFer. But I don't think there is any argument that Manning has been blessed with far greater skill players throughout his career than just the one season Brady enjoyed in 2007. Manning had Edge & then Addai, along with Harrison & Wayne. Until 2007, Brady never had a stud, All-Pro WR and the best RB he had was Corey Dillon, who was definitely on the downside of his career. I don't think much of Maroney and the rest of his backs from previous Super Bowl seasons were all by committee.

Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: goombah] #495330
06/24/08 01:15 PM
06/24/08 01:15 PM
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

That's fair - those losses weren't totally Manning's fault nor were the wins entirely Brady.

That Pittsburgh game though, the stats are misleading. Much of those numbers were padded when the Colts found themselves down 16-0, much of it due to Manning's ineffectiveness. I remember Manning looking uncomfortable and having horrible mechanics for much of that game. Plus his line could not handle the blitz. That game was, IMO, one of their worst losses ever. They had home field throughout the playoffs, were 14-2 in a year when Manning was amazing. Worst of all, that was a home game against a 6th seed. Granted the Steelers got hot at the right point in the season, but they should have been blown out by the Colts in that situation. They would have never even been in position for Vandy's miss had Cowher not made one of the dumbest calls in playoff history - that fumbled Bettis goal-line handoff instead of kneeling down and waiting for the FG attempt to effectively put the game out of reach.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I would take Manning on my team in a heartbeat. He's a first-ballot HOFer. But I don't think there is any argument that Manning has been blessed with far greater skill players throughout his career than just the one season Brady enjoyed in 2007. Manning had Edge & then Addai, along with Harrison & Wayne. Until 2007, Brady never had a stud, All-Pro WR and the best RB he had was Corey Dillon, who was definitely on the downside of his career. I don't think much of Maroney and the rest of his backs from previous Super Bowl seasons were all by committee.

That Pittsburgh game was just horrible all around, I agree. I was pissed about it for a long time.

Personally I am not a big fan of Edge. He just isn't explosive. He will get you 4 yards at a time, which I guess isn't bad, but Addai can get 4 or 40. I am glad the Pats got Maroney and left Addai for us...

Manning has had better wide receivers but you could also argue that he elevates his receivers a little bit. Brandon Stokley, for example. Reggie Wayne is a beast though. He's peaking while Harrison is beginning to decline, so that works out for us.

I'd say most teams are using a running back by committee nowadays, maybe partially due to the success the Pats had with Kevin Faulk and....what's his name. I think that is becoming a fact in the NFL now, you don't need a big name RB to win games, you just need a few people who can get the job done. Dominic Rhodes isn't a great RB, but he can get the job done. I don't even count the year in Oakland because that place is just a black hole right now. It seems like most RB's picked high in the draft have been wasted picks the last few years. I consider Addai an exception, along with Adrian Peterson. Carnell Williams could be one if he doesn't keep getting injured and keeps up his productivity from his previous levels.

Brady has had Deion Branch who was a Super Bowl MVP, but he hasn't done anything since he left the Pats. I'd agree that Brady hasn't had the same kind of talent at WR or RB but his team had a defense, which until about '05 (even more so in '07 when we got rid of Jason David and put in Jackson and Hayden at CB)the Colts didn't which led to Manning having to try to outscore the other team in a shootout. It didn't help that the Pats had his number for a few years either.

There are so many factors it seems like you can debate forever about who is really the best, but that's fun.

I used to agree with the idea of Peyton Manning being a choke artist but now I would say the opposite. I think in previous years he would try to do too much because it was pretty much all on his shoulders as the leader of the offense. Games like the Colts vs Tampa Bay on Monday Night Football when the Colts came back from a big lead in the final minutes helped to change that perception too along with the AFCCG in '06, and etc.

I feel like finally we have a complete team with an excellent offense and an excellent defense. Special teams though.... The Patriots are still right up there too even though their defense is declining. San Diego is a young team with a lot of talent, god what a horrible game...the only positive about that last game was Peyton threw 6INTs, Vinetieri missed a FG (maybe 2?), the team played horribly and we still came close to winning.

Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: goombah] #495334
06/24/08 01:59 PM
06/24/08 01:59 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania

That Pittsburgh game though, the stats are misleading. Much of those numbers were padded when the Colts found themselves down 16-0, much of it due to Manning's ineffectiveness. I remember Manning looking uncomfortable and having horrible mechanics for much of that game. Plus his line could not handle the blitz.

When it comes to preparing for a game, analyzing defenses and exploiting weaknesses, Manning is without peer. From an objective, mathematical, and quantifiable approach it's hard to put someone above Manning. Looking at it from a subjective and improvisational view, I like Brady.

I agree with goombah that Manning's stats in the Pittsburgh game were padded when the Steelers started playing the clock. In the beginning of that game Roethlisberger rifled through the Colts to get two TDs while the Colts struggled until the fourth quarter.

Also that game should have been put away as Manning threw a clear interception to Polamalu that was unexplicably overturned on replay. That was with the Steelers leading by 11 and only 5 minutes remaining. Manning had opportunities to pull it out or get the Colts closer. The Steelers' blitz that day was admittedly fiercer than anything Manning had ever seen, but I think Brady would have been better suited to move the team when the action sped up. That said, I don't think Brady would have done as well as Manning in the first half of that game.

I'll admit, Longneck, that these are two QBs of the ages and their differences are marginal. that I prefer Brady in the pressure minutes doesn't mean that I don't think Manning isn't cool under pressure. I'd be happy any day of the week with Manning in any situation.

Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: klydon1] #495339
06/24/08 02:21 PM
06/24/08 02:21 PM
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

I remember they overturned the interception and I knew it was a horrible call, but I didn't care! And then a few days after the game the NFL said it was an interception...

That game was worse than losing in a blowout at least then you don't get your hopes up, so many missed chances, so close...but then the next year the Colts won it all, maybe the bitterness from that game helped, I don't know. We're the 2nd youngest team I think, behind the Packers and we have a solid team with depth so I think there's definitely a chance for more rings in the near future.

I think that if Donovan McNabb could stay healthy he could really be awesome and include himself in this discussion. I don't know if he is injury prone or just unlucky. He's played through intense pain so it's not like he isn't trying...

I also wonder how Daunte Culpepper can throw 39 TD's and have an absolutely awesome year (overshadowed by Peyton's 49 TD's) and a knee injury later just be completely worthless. I could understand if it was a shoulder or arm injury.

Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: Longneck] #495347
06/24/08 03:37 PM
06/24/08 03:37 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
I also wonder how Daunte Culpepper can throw 39 TD's and have an absolutely awesome year (overshadowed by Peyton's 49 TD's) and a knee injury later just be completely worthless. I could understand if it was a shoulder or arm injury.

IMO, that is easy. He lost his left tackle (I think McKinney) and Randy Moss. Moss would go up and catch anything thrown in his direction. When Moss left, Culpepper was neutralized b/c Minnesota had no effective running back between Robert Smith to the arrival of Adrian Peterson. Culpepper's ineffectiveness came before his knee injury, which pretty much finished his career.

If I implied that Manning was a choke artist, that was a misstatement. He choked in a few big games, but as Klydon more clearly stated than I, no one comes close to Manning in preparing and calling the audible. He may be the only current QB who calls his own plays. I hope Peyton has another Super Bowl win or two before his career is over.

I respectfully disagree about Edgerrin James. Yes, he's on the downside now and kudos to the Colts for foreseeing that decline and not re-signing Edge. But he was right up there with Terrell Davis, Shaun Alexander, and the elite backs from about 1999-2003, even with missing 1 entire year to an ACL injury. Yes, he doesn't have breakaway speed, but he was a durable multi-faceted back for 5 years.

Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: goombah] #495406
06/24/08 11:42 PM
06/24/08 11:42 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
The Yankees played the Pirates in Pittsburgh today. It was the first time in 48 years that the Yanks played in Pittsburgh (I was very surprised to hear that). To honor the day, the Pirates had former second baseman, Bill Mazeroski throw out the first ball. It was Maz' homer in the bottom of the ninth inning in the 7th (and final) game that won the Series for Pittsburgh.

Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: SC] #495462
06/25/08 06:43 AM
06/25/08 06:43 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
And Maz must be a fabulous good luck charm for them, because the Yankees got their asses whipped.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: goombah] #495516
06/25/08 11:07 AM
06/25/08 11:07 AM
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

I respectfully disagree about Edgerrin James. Yes, he's on the downside now and kudos to the Colts for foreseeing that decline and not re-signing Edge. But he was right up there with Terrell Davis, Shaun Alexander, and the elite backs from about 1999-2003, even with missing 1 entire year to an ACL injury. Yes, he doesn't have breakaway speed, but he was a durable multi-faceted back for 5 years.

Consistent and reliable but not explosive and when we needed a few yards for a touchdown (Example: Pats regular season game - he got stuffed over and over and it would have won the game for us) or a first down he just could not deliver. I did not feel confident in short yardage situations with him at RB, with Addai in there I feel like it's going to be a success a great majority of the time.

Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: Longneck] #495587
06/25/08 04:44 PM
06/25/08 04:44 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
I think I remember that play you're referring to in 2004 or '05. If memory serves, the Colts had it first and goal and failed to punch it in on 4 downs, one of which Edge was stuffed. Maybe more than one.

But anyway, yes, Edge never had the breakaway speed of Adrian Peterson or LT, but he was still a great back that most teams would have killed to have in his prime. He was a great complement to the Colts passing attack. Arizona must be kicking themselves for the deal they signed him to two years ago.

Running backs in the NFL have a short half-life. Most are lucky to squeeze out 5 years on the average.

Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: goombah] #495640
06/25/08 11:19 PM
06/25/08 11:19 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don Jasani Offline
Underboss
Don Jasani  Offline
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Looks like the Raptors have pulled the trigger on a trade that will send T.J. Ford, Rasho Nesterovic and the 17th draft pick to the Pacers in return for Jermaine O'Neal. If O'Neal can manage to stay healthy for a full season this could turn out to be a very good trade for the Raps as it allows Bosh to go back to his original position of power forward and Andrea Bargnani to come off the bench easing him into his role as the future centre of the team.

Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: Sicilian Babe] #495642
06/25/08 11:31 PM
06/25/08 11:31 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
And Maz must be a fabulous good luck charm for them, because the Yankees got their asses whipped.

They made up for it tonight. Joba's first win as a starter.

Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: Don Jasani] #495643
06/25/08 11:32 PM
06/25/08 11:32 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Originally Posted By: Don Jasani
Looks like the Raptors have pulled the trigger on a trade that will send T.J. Ford, Rasho Nesterovic and the 17th draft pick to the Pacers in return for Jermaine O'Neal. If O'Neal can manage to stay healthy for a full season this could turn out to be a very good trade for the Raps as it allows Bosh to go back to his original position of power forward and Andrea Bargnani to come off the bench easing him into his role as the future centre of the team.

Wow, I was hoping the Warriors could somehow work a trade for Ford, maybe by using their $10 million trade exception, so Baron Davis wouldn't have to play so many minutes a game. Oh well. Congratulations to your Raptors Don Jasani smile

Last edited by Blibbleblabble; 06/25/08 11:32 PM. Reason: added quote

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: Blibbleblabble] #495646
06/25/08 11:39 PM
06/25/08 11:39 PM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
Astros pitcher Shawn Chacon's advice to other ballplayers? I'd guess it would be to avoid grabbing the GM by the neck and throwing him to the ground. eek

Well, that's the way the story's going, anyway. He's been 'suspended indefinitely' for 'insubordination,' upset about being moved from the rotation to the bullpen.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-astros-chaconsuspended&prov=ap&type=lgns

Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: ginaitaliangirl] #495672
06/26/08 03:17 AM
06/26/08 03:17 AM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
I went to the Giants vs. A's game on June (friday the)13th, and had a great time. Although the whole day leading up to that was definitely a screwed up friday the 13th type of day for me. I didn't get to the game until the 6th inning. My girlfriend and her son, and his friend, went ahead without me. Even though the Giants lost I got to be at a game where the sprinklers turned on in the ninth inning with one out left to go. It was so funny! I got a picture of it:

That was the only time in the game the A's and Giants fans were cheering at the same time and laughing together. And here is a picture of us:

And from right to left that is me, my girlfriend, her son and his best friend (the dork in the A's jersey). This picture makes me laugh because here is my girlfriend and I smiling for a good picture while the two teenagers have the only two possible teenage reactions "I'm so cool I'll barely smile" and "I'm going to ruin this picture by making a funny face". lol

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: Blibbleblabble] #495677
06/26/08 04:43 AM
06/26/08 04:43 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Cool pix, Blib. You have a nice looking girlfriend.

Only in San Francisco does one need a sweatshirt in June. lol

Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: SC] #495715
06/26/08 11:55 AM
06/26/08 11:55 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Very nice pictures, bb. You all make a very good looking group at the ball game. I was always amazed since I was a kid watching the Phillies playing in old candlestick Park on tv in July and August to see the fans bundled up in coats, gloves and hats.

By the way, Aaron Rowand is having a very good year for the Giants. I bet he's a crowd favorite with his defensive play. I was never more wrong than when I predicted that he would be the biggest free agent bust this year. I thought he had a career year last year, and wouldn't come close to duplicating it.

Pedro Feliz has been okay, getting big hits on occasion and showing a rocket arm at third.

Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: klydon1] #495718
06/26/08 12:18 PM
06/26/08 12:18 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
That's a nice photo, Blibble. I'm sorry to say that the Giants are manhandling my pathetic Indians. Eleven game loser Barry Zito looked like Cy Young against the hapless, inept Indians hitters last night. It is good to see Omar Vizquel back in town - the best defensive shortstop I have ever seen.

Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: goombah] #495766
06/26/08 04:18 PM
06/26/08 04:18 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Wow, I'm surprised the Nets traded Jefferson

Sources: Nets agree to trade Jefferson to Bucks for Yi, Simmons

Sources told ESPN.com that the deal has been agreed to and submitted for league approval in advance of Thursday night's draft. No draft picks are involved in the trade, sources said.

Such a swap would create an estimated $10-plus million in long-term savings for the Nets as they continue to re-shape their team after trading another mainstay -- point guard Jason Kidd -- to Dallas in February.

The trade would also enable Yi to make a move to the larger media market he was hoping for this time last year, when Milwaukee drafted him out of China with the sixth overall pick. Kiki Vandeweghe, New Jersey's new general manager alongside team president Rod Thorn, is a longstanding Yi fan who has frequently likened the 7-footer's perimeter skills and potential to Dallas Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki.

The Bucks, meanwhile, would be supplying new coach Scott Skiles with a veteran player coming off his best season to fill a problem position. Jefferson averaged 22.7 points per game last season and played all 82 games after an injury-plagued 2006-07 season.

Source: ESPN

Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: Irishman12] #495767
06/26/08 04:25 PM
06/26/08 04:25 PM
Don Sicilia Offline
Don Sicilia  Offline

The experts have been saying that this move, along with the earlier Jason Kidd trade, are designed to clear cap room so the Nets can go after LeBron once he becomes a free agent in a couple of years.

Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: Don Sicilia] #495768
06/26/08 04:34 PM
06/26/08 04:34 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
I've been hearing the same thing about the Knicks, although they haven't made any moves yet.

Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: Irishman12] #495778
06/26/08 05:55 PM
06/26/08 05:55 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Gina, what's happening with your boys?

Astros release Chacon after altercation with GM
sports-general-20080626-Astros-Chacon.Suspended

In this May 21, 208 file photo, Houston Astros starting pitcher Shawn Chacon...
2 hours ago

HOUSTON (AP) — The Houston Astros have released Shawn Chacon, opting to cut the right-hander a day after he reportedly grabbed general manager Ed Wade by the neck and threw him to the ground.

The team requested waivers on Chacon on Thursday for the purpose of giving him his unconditional release. If he isn't claimed by another major league team by Monday, waivers will expire and his contract will be terminated without pay.

Last edited by Beth E; 06/26/08 05:55 PM.

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: Irishman12] #495779
06/26/08 05:56 PM
06/26/08 05:56 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Originally Posted By: Irishman12

First Kidd, now Jefferson. Are the Nets trying to become The Knicks?

Last edited by Beth E; 06/26/08 05:57 PM.

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: Beth E] #495915
06/27/08 12:59 AM
06/27/08 12:59 AM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
Bethie, I really can't believe what happened with him! Losing game after game is one thing, but now the negative energy's really taking an exciting turn! lol (Actually, we're not doing so bad now...maybe this'll be a positive spark in some twisted way! Getting rid of the bad blood, or something.)

I heard our announcers talk about it tonight, and they mentioned something about how Chacon had refused to throw a bullpen session when asked to, and then later threw in the ninth inning of a game while our closer Valverde was out pitching, without anyone giving permission or wanting him to do so. I might not have that information completely right, but the general idea of what they were saying is that he's apparently already done some 'rebellious' stuff against the club. Our manager and GM (Cecil Cooper and Ed Wade) were the ones, I believe, who approached him about a meeting in the office. I guess he was mad it was right before a pre-game meal, but like our commentators on TV and in the paper are expressing, you can't really refuse to hear whatever news they have for you...even if it's what you don't want to hear.

----

BL, great pictures!! Win or lose, going to a ballgame always makes for a fun time, doesn't it?

Re: Random Sports Whoring [Re: Beth E] #495926
06/27/08 01:42 AM
06/27/08 01:42 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted By: Beth E
Originally Posted By: Irishman12

First Kidd, now Jefferson. Are the Nets trying to become The Knicks?

Yup. They're trying to clear cap room so they can sign LeBron James when he becomes a free agent in 2 years

Page 18 of 69 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 68 69