GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Irishman12), 315 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,322
Posts1,058,593
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anybody else get bored? #49398
04/12/03 11:23 PM
04/12/03 11:23 PM
Don Aleksandr Offline OP
Made Member
Don Aleksandr  Offline OP
Made Member
First off I'd like to say that I think the Godfather is a great book. The movie wouldn't have apealed or been as clear to me if i hadn't read the book first. With all that said I was just wondering if anyone else got bored when the book went into detail about Johnny Fontane. The part which talked about how he wanted to make things right with his wife and etc. I thought the book was great but honestly I couldn't have cared less about Fontane's efforts on making things right with his family, what do you think?

"Fredo -- you're my older brother, and I love you. But don't ever take sides with anyone
against the Family again. Ever."

"My father taught me many things ... keep your friends close, but your enemies closer."

"I know it was you, Fredo. You broke my heart. You broke my heart."
Re: Anybody else get bored? #49399
04/12/03 11:34 PM
04/12/03 11:34 PM
Don Aleksandr Offline OP
Made Member
Made Member
Didn't think I was the only one...

"Fredo -- you're my older brother, and I love you. But don't ever take sides with anyone

"My father taught me many things ... keep your friends close, but your enemies closer."

Re: Anybody else get bored? #49400
04/13/03 12:31 AM
04/13/03 12:31 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Puzo could not resist inflicting us with bits of knowledge he had accumulated--whether or not the bits of knowledge had any relevance to the plot. Johnny was included in the novel to make a parallel with Frank Sinatra, on whom he's modeled. That part's relevant. Puzo did go on and on about Johnny's film and recording work, which added nothing to the plot but gave Puzo a chance to show off the knowledge he'd acquired about "show biz." The really boring stuff was his coverage of Nino (a completely forgettable character) and Jules and Lucy. Their affair seems to have been included solely so that Puzo could inflict on us the details of Lucy's gynecological operation--another bit of erudition he acquired somewhere and couldn't resist passing along.
Fortunately, these are minor blemishes in a great novel. But, if you thought that stuff was boring, wait till you read the Hollywood crap he loaded into "The Last Don."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Anybody else get bored? #49401
04/13/03 12:34 AM
04/13/03 12:34 AM
Don Aleksandr Offline OP
Made Member
Made Member
Thats hilarious Bull. Now I can't wait to read The Last Don.

Re: Anybody else get bored? #49402
04/13/03 06:45 AM
04/13/03 06:45 AM
Dublin, Ireland
Vito's Legacy Offline
'Family' Man
Vito's Legacy  Offline
'Family' Man
Capo
Dublin, Ireland
I personally didn't mind seeing all that stuff on Fontane in the novel, in fact, I never really cared much for the character in the film but I found him a helluva lot more interesting in the novel.

But yeah, I can see why some would deem all that stuff with Johnny, Nino, Jules, Lucy etc. unnecessary, but I guess Puzo wanted to show us how Vito's world had it's effects on even these seemingly insignificant characters.

"Mr. Corleone is a man who insists on hearing bad news immediately..." wink
Re: Anybody else get bored? #49403
04/13/03 07:00 AM
04/13/03 07:00 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
If you read the novel first, as I did, I think you look at it from a different perspective. Fontane was certainly a major character, almost like another son to Vito, and, as such, held my interest. He was also a vehicle used to illustrate the power of the Don, as when Vito gets him released from his contract with the bandleader, "arranges" his movie role with Woltz, and finally fixes his Academy Award win. Finally, I think Puzo may have had something (metaphors? contrasts?) in mind in using the fim industry and organized crime in counterpoint.

If you see the film first, then Fontane is a minor character, and it's understandable why the lengthy parts about him in the novel are boring.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Anybody else get bored? #49404
04/15/03 10:34 AM
04/15/03 10:34 AM
UK
Family Honour Offline
Underboss
Family Honour  Offline
Underboss
UK
Originally posted by Don Aleksandr:
Thats hilarious Bull.
Is it just me or does that sound quite funny? I've never heard Turnbull referred to as 'Bull' before lol

I thought all the filling in the novel was a pain in the arse to wade through too Don A. Especially all the 'Lucy and Jules' chapters and as 'Bull' said Nino was boring too.
I'm going against the grain a little bit here I think, but I really enjoyed reading The Last Don.

FH

Re: Anybody else get bored? #49405
04/15/03 10:41 AM
04/15/03 10:41 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Don A,.. I'm reading the book now for the second time. First time was 33 years ago. So inbetween I've seen the GFs about XXXX number of times. Reading it the second time, yes the Johnny stuff was a little boring. But I know the story. I don't care that his ex-wife made him bacon and eggs and served it to him in bed. But as others have stated, I think it demonstrates the Don's far reaching power, his deep sense of commitment and friendship and the respect that he commanded. I haven't gotten to Lucy's vagina yet, so I can't wait to see the relevance. smile

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Anybody else get bored? #49406
04/15/03 03:29 PM
04/15/03 03:29 PM
Dublin, Ireland
Vito's Legacy Offline
'Family' Man
Vito's Legacy  Offline
'Family' Man
Capo
Dublin, Ireland
Originally posted by MaryCas:
I think it demonstrates the Don's far reaching power, his deep sense of commitment and friendship and the respect that he commanded. I haven't gotten to Lucy's vagina yet, so I can't wait to see the relevance. smile
LOL! lol

"Mr. Corleone is a man who insists on hearing bad news immediately..." wink
Re: Anybody else get bored? #49407
04/15/03 03:53 PM
04/15/03 03:53 PM
Don Aleksandr Offline OP
Made Member
Made Member
Originally posted by MaryCas:
I haven't gotten to Lucy's vagina yet, so I can't wait to see the relevance. smile
lol lol

Re: Anybody else get bored? #49408
04/20/03 05:25 PM
04/20/03 05:25 PM
Micheal Corleone Offline
Made Member
Micheal Corleone  Offline
Made Member
I actually thought the stuff about Johnny Fontane was really interesting. I agree with TB that all that information on Jules Segal, Lucy, and Nino was completely irrelevant, and the time Puzo spent writing about them would have been much better spent giving us more details about the Corleone family. I mean honestly, who gives a crap about Lucy's vagina??

"Fredo, you're my older brother, and I love you. But don't ever take sides with anyone against the family again. Ever."

"Fredo, you're nothing to me now; not a brother, not a friend. I don't want to know you or what you do."

"Only don't tell me you're innocent. Because it insults my intelligence."
Re: Anybody else get bored? #49409
04/30/03 05:30 PM
04/30/03 05:30 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
DA
I couldn't agree more. The Johnny Fontaine story in the book, along with the Lucy Mancini story, were completely unnecessary. FFC did the right thing by omitting both from the film.

Having said that, I really enjoyed the rest of the book. I liked how characters such as Luca Brasi, Kay Adams, Carlo, and Al Neri were developed more. The book fleshed out Santino & Fredo much more, which books usually do. I was pleasantly surprised (having seen the movie first) of the subtle differences from book to movie: 1) Tom's explanation to Kay at the end 2) what Mama believed about Michael 3) how Michael was brought back from Sicily 4) and how Fredo was disfavorably viewed by his father because of his actions in Vegas.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull