GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 65 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,148
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,387
Posts1,059,795
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Print Thread
Columbo shooting redux #493613
06/16/08 09:43 AM
06/16/08 09:43 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
A discussion in another thread led me to take a second look at the famous shooting of Joe Columbo at his Italian American Civil Rights League rally in NYC in 1971.

As we know, Columbo was shot and permanently incapacitated by Jerome Johnson, a two-bit street hustler posing as a news cameraman. Johnson was wrestled to the ground and shot dead in the melee afterward. NYPD initially said the shooting was a harbinger of a Mob war for control of the League’s fat treasury. While NYPD didn’t say so explicitly, news media pointed the finger of suspicion at Crazy Joe Gallo, who had been released from prison that year and resumed a long-running feud with Columbo over grievances dating back more than a decade. Gallo had befriended blacks and Hispanics in prison and recruited them for his rackets when he was released. Johnson was black, making a further link with Gallo.

But after Gallo was assassinated less than a year later, NYPD and the media began to change their tune: Johnson acted alone. No “Mob war” broke out for control of the League and its treasury because the shooting had definitively exposed Columbo as a Don, and the League as a Mafia front. The League and its treasury soon stalled. The Mob had always used professional killers for high-level hits. Why would they use a small-time grifter, armed with a puny WWI-vintage pistol, to whack a Don? And, given the Mob’s historic antipathy to African-Americans, why a black assassin? Gallo was nowhere near the scene of the shooting. And, he was by then, too small-time to have taken over either the Columbo family or the League. So, Johnson was one of the many marginalized American psychos seeking their fifteen minutes of fame by killing or attempting to kill celebrities.

More recently, the finger of suspicion pointed at Carlo Gambino. He had made Columbo a Don after Columbo ratted out a plot against Gambino and Tommy Lucchese. But Columbo’s ultra-high-profile activities on behalf of his League were antithetical to everything Gambino believed. So, the theory goes, Don Carlo giveth, Don Carlo taketh away…

Two facts I dimly remember from contemporary accounts lead me to pose two other theories about the Gallo shooting. The two facts:

First, Columbo formed the League after his son, Joe Jr., was arrested and prosecuted by the Feds in a bizarre currency scheme. The government had recently decontrolled the price of silver, which immediately soared. Columbo Jr.’s racket—melting down the coins for their bullion value, which was much higher than the coins’ face value—was a Federal offense. And Columbo Sr. was appealing a perjury conviction y for lying on his application for a real estate license (his “legitimate” front). Columbo Sr. called the prosecutions “harassment of Italian-Americans” who were unfairly linked to a “non-existent Mafia.” Then he formed the League so he could turn out hundreds, and sometimes thousands, of people to picket the FBI, the New York Times and other news outlets in an attempt to get the charges against his son reduced or dismissed.

Second, Jerome Johnson got close to Columbo by carrying press credentials and an expensive, professional-grade Bolex movie camera. He was accompanied by an attractive female. When she called out, “Hi, Joe,” Columbo turned toward her—setting up Johnson’s three shots to his head. Johnson was immediately tackled by a mélange of NYPD cops on guard duty and Columbo bodyguards. He was shot three times and killed in the pileup. A weapon was recovered, but its owner was never identified. No one was arrested or questioned about Johnson’s killing. The woman simply walked away and disappeared into the crowd.

Now for the two theories:

NYPD did it. Reason: The police Mob Squad, bridling over Columbo’s celebrity and the way the League’s activities were trying to portray the cops as “anti-Italian,” wanted a quick end to both Joe and the League. They were familiar with Johnson and his psycho personality from his arrests. They had the wherewithal to issue his press credentials, and to equip him with the expensive camera. A police conspirator was primed to spot Johnson, keep his gun at the ready, and to shoot Johnson immediately after Columbo was hit. The cop dumped his gun in the ensuing pileup. Other cops let the woman walk.

A faction in the Columbo family did it. Reason: Their livelihoods were hurting. The League’s and Columbo’s high profiles brought intense media and law enforcement scrutiny of Mafia activities. Mob guys found it harder and harder to operate as easily and openly as they did before. What’s more, Columbo’s allegations that there was no such thing as the Mafia weakened the fear factor that enabled Mob guys to shake down victims. And, while their earnings were suffering, Columbo was benefiting from a League that he had formed to both line his pockets and to get him and his son off the hook for dumb-ass crimes they’d committed. So, plenty of people within the Columbo family had good reason to resent Joe. They knew that Gallo was making problems for Columbo, and might try to make a move on the family after his death. They recruited an African-American shooter to point the finger at Gallo and to justify getting rid of a potential thorn in their side. One of the Columbo family conspirators acting as a bodyguard that day was primed to shoot Johnson and dump the weapon. Who led the Columbo conspirators? No one will ever know, but Carmine (the Snake) Persico and his crew assumed de facto control of the family during the nearly seven years that Columbo lingered in a vegetative state. Persico later became the official Don.

Gambino can’t be ruled out. But I’m more and more doubtful. Gambino made Columbo a Don, and was his mentor. If he didn’t like what his protégé was doing, he could have called him on the carpet and ordered him to stop. Or, the all-powerful Gambino could have had the Commission force Columbo to step down as Don, as he had Joe Magliocco in ’63, in the move that elevated Columbo. There’s evidence that Gambino may have supported the League. Columbo soldier Rocco Miraglia was arrested in 1970, and police found in his briefcase a list of contributors to the League. One entry read: “Carl 30,000.” Columbo testified before a grand jury that the entry represented $30,000 raised by Carlo Gambino.
But the most compelling reason is that Gambino was too careful to leave the loose ends that resulted from the shooting. Gambino was a nonpareil strategist and long-range schemer. He spent five patient years engineering the breakup of the Bonanno/Profaci/Magliocco alliance that resulted in his being able to install Columbo as his ally as head of a formerly hostile family. If he wanted Columbo out, he first would have selected a successor who’d be loyal to him—he wouldn’t have left a messy, unresolved succession in the Columbo family.

Your views? Any other theories?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Columbo shooting redux [Re: Turnbull] #493627
06/16/08 10:20 AM
06/16/08 10:20 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Gambino can’t be ruled out. But I’m more and more doubtful. Gambino made Columbo a Don, and was his mentor. If he didn’t like what his protégé was doing, he could have called him on the carpet and ordered him to stop.

He basically did just that.

It was big news around the neighborhood that Gambino slapped Colombo across his face because he was pissed that Joe was bringing too much publicity to the Mob. Some time later I read an account of this story in a (wonderful) book by former Deputy Police Commissioner, Robert Daley, entitled "Target Blue".

Daley wrote that two weeks before the hit Colombo was sitting with a bunch of his guys in Monti's Bar in Brooklyn on either June 14th or June 15th when Carlo Gambino and his entourage entered. Gambino yelled at Colombo to "cut the crap" and at the end of the speech slapped Colombo hard on the face. Colombo had to just sit there and take it.

The book just backed up (with some details) what I had heard before so I'm confident that story is true. I don't mean to suggest that this is proof that Gambino was behind the hit, but it certainly makes it look like Gambino was pissed at Colombo.

Re: Columbo shooting redux [Re: SC] #493693
06/16/08 02:52 PM
06/16/08 02:52 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
Originally Posted By: SC
The book just backed up (with some details) what I had heard before so I'm confident that story is true. I don't mean to suggest that this is proof that Gambino was behind the hit, but it certainly makes it look like Gambino was pissed at Colombo.

"Yeah..I heard that story..." wink And he may also have been pissed that Columbo blabbed to the grand jury that the "Carl" who raised $30k for the League was none other than Don Carlo. But I still doubt that Gambino planned the shooting.

Re: Columbo shooting redux [Re: Turnbull] #494036
06/17/08 10:19 PM
06/17/08 10:19 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

But I still doubt that Gambino planned the shooting.

But I do believe that Don Carlo wasn't that broken up or upset when Columbo was hit.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Columbo shooting redux [Re: Don Cardi] #494042
06/17/08 10:30 PM
06/17/08 10:30 PM
M
MiniMafiaBoss Offline
Underboss
MiniMafiaBoss  Offline
M
Underboss
Don Cardi, thats spot on.

Colombo was drawing attention to the mob, Gambino did'nt like it.

Of all the millions the Italian League got, what did Colombo give Gambino?

Re: Columbo shooting redux [Re: Don Cardi] #494047
06/17/08 10:58 PM
06/17/08 10:58 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

But I still doubt that Gambino planned the shooting.

But I do believe that Don Carlo wasn't that broken up or upset when Columbo was hit.

I'm sure he wasn't.

Re: Columbo shooting redux [Re: MiniMafiaBoss] #494084
06/18/08 08:44 AM
06/18/08 08:44 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: MiniMafiaBoss

what did Colombo give Gambino?

Didn't he give Don Carlo the Meucci Award?

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Columbo shooting redux [Re: Don Cardi] #494093
06/18/08 11:29 AM
06/18/08 11:29 AM
M
MiniMafiaBoss Offline
Underboss
MiniMafiaBoss  Offline
M
Underboss
It's not a trick question. Colombo would have had to give Carlo a little something, a cash tribute?

Antonio Meucci - the telephone inventor.

Last edited by MiniMafiaBoss; 06/18/08 11:36 AM.
Re: Columbo shooting redux [Re: MiniMafiaBoss] #494127
06/18/08 03:22 PM
06/18/08 03:22 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: MiniMafiaBoss
It's not a trick question. Colombo would have had to give Carlo a little something,...
Antonio Meucci - the telephone inventor.

Exactly! It was a very high tribute for Gambino to be awarded the Meucci Award.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Columbo shooting redux [Re: Don Cardi] #494131
06/18/08 04:26 PM
06/18/08 04:26 PM
M
MiniMafiaBoss Offline
Underboss
MiniMafiaBoss  Offline
M
Underboss
I can't find anything about Gambino getting the reward.

Re: Columbo shooting redux [Re: MiniMafiaBoss] #494135
06/18/08 05:08 PM
06/18/08 05:08 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Not a REward.....it was an Award.

He was also presented with Papal Honors by the Vatican.

I'm surprised that you have not been able to find these stories about Gambino with mob biographies!

Don Cardi cool

Re: Columbo shooting redux [Re: Turnbull] #600308
04/20/11 09:55 AM
04/20/11 09:55 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Second, Jerome Johnson got close to Columbo by carrying press credentials and an expensive, professional-grade Bolex movie camera. He was accompanied by an attractive female. When she called out, “Hi, Joe,” Columbo turned toward her—setting up Johnson’s three shots to his head. Johnson was immediately tackled by a mélange of NYPD cops on guard duty and Columbo bodyguards. He was shot three times and killed in the pileup. A weapon was recovered, but its owner was never identified. No one was arrested or questioned about Johnson’s killing. The woman simply walked away and disappeared into the crowd.

Everything about this smells like a conspiracy.

Quote:
NYPD did it. Reason: The police Mob Squad, bridling over Columbo’s celebrity and the way the League’s activities were trying to portray the cops as “anti-Italian,” wanted a quick end to both Joe and the League. They were familiar with Johnson and his psycho personality from his arrests. They had the wherewithal to issue his press credentials, and to equip him with the expensive camera. A police conspirator was primed to spot Johnson, keep his gun at the ready, and to shoot Johnson immediately after Columbo was hit. The cop dumped his gun in the ensuing pileup. Other cops let the woman walk.

A faction in the Columbo family did it. Reason: Their livelihoods were hurting. The League’s and Columbo’s high profiles brought intense media and law enforcement scrutiny of Mafia activities. Mob guys found it harder and harder to operate as easily and openly as they did before. What’s more, Columbo’s allegations that there was no such thing as the Mafia weakened the fear factor that enabled Mob guys to shake down victims. And, while their earnings were suffering, Columbo was benefiting from a League that he had formed to both line his pockets and to get him and his son off the hook for dumb-ass crimes they’d committed. So, plenty of people within the Columbo family had good reason to resent Joe. They knew that Gallo was making problems for Columbo, and might try to make a move on the family after his death. They recruited an African-American shooter to point the finger at Gallo and to justify getting rid of a potential thorn in their side. One of the Columbo family conspirators acting as a bodyguard that day was primed to shoot Johnson and dump the weapon. Who led the Columbo conspirators? No one will ever know, but Carmine (the Snake) Persico and his crew assumed de facto control of the family during the nearly seven years that Columbo lingered in a vegetative state. Persico later became the official Don.

These are two great theories, especially about the NYPD. I haven't looked at it this way but now I think it's very likely it's a combination of these two theories.

How else could the woman walk away and the bodyguard/cop shoot Johnson without getting caught?

But I do think it's likely that Gambino was informed about this before it happened.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull