GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Lou_Para), 158 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday Tommasino Neri.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,428
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,840
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,507
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,306
Posts1,058,306
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
book vs. movie #49297
03/11/03 05:25 PM
03/11/03 05:25 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline OP
goombah  Offline OP

Anytown, USA
The book and movie obviously overlap quite a bit. But the book certainly fills in many gaps that the theatrical releases deleted. That's why I enjoy the Saga when it's on tv, to answer some of the open questions. I wish all versions of the film had the scene when Vito & his sons visit Genco during his last hour. I think it would have given GF1 more support of Michael and Vito's strained relationship. I don't think "That's my family Kay, it's not me" does it justice. I also liked the fact that Santino's character was more fully developed in the book (as expected due to time constraints in a movie). I could have done without the detailed description about Sonny's genitalia! But probably the best portion from the book is the exchange between Tom & Vito after the sitdown. To my knowledge, this doesn't appear in any film. And, not to be overlooked, the whole Woltz thing in the book was so cool, especially after he called Tom in a rage after Khartoum was decapitated.
The end of the book with Tom's explanation to Kay was unexpected. But, I don't believe that the book's ending had a proper place in the movie.
Anway, I plan on re-reading the book soon. It was neat to see the movie first and then read the novel.

Re: book vs. movie #49298
03/11/03 07:03 PM
03/11/03 07:03 PM
mztb23 Offline
Wiseguy
mztb23  Offline
Wiseguy
[QUOTE]Originally posted by goombah:
[QB] I could have done without the detailed description about Sonny's genitalia! I must say I am in the middle of reading the book after watching the movie over and over since I can remember. and watching this part of the movie just isnt the same after reading it in the book!!!!!! its funny, but some things are better left unsaid. My husband was totally grossed out when I told him what the book said.

"Behind every great fortune there is a crime."
Re: book vs. movie #49299
03/12/03 08:19 AM
03/12/03 08:19 AM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline
Underboss
Netherlands
I think reading the book is a must for the diehard GF fans. It gives a lot of interesting (extra according to the movie) info. It also gives answers to several questions about the movie. Unfortunately it doesn't show the parts with Roth and things of GF 3.

Re: book vs. movie #49300
03/12/03 11:33 AM
03/12/03 11:33 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Agree 100%, Goombah. Although the book isn't nearly as carefully written as the Trilogy is produced and directed, it contains many essential nuances and details missing from the films. Puzo was first and foremost a wonderful storyteller in the great Italian tradition, and the book is rich in little and big stories that are either omitted or not fleshed out in the films. My favorites are the Bocchicchio Family and how they got Michael back from Sicily; the recruitment of Al Neri; the Don's rise following Fanucci's murder; and Michael's education at the hands of Dr. Taza. I could have lived without Jules and Lucy, Nino, and most of Johnny Fontaine and the Hollywood stuff that Puzo couldn't resist inflicting on us.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: book vs. movie #49301
03/12/03 01:51 PM
03/12/03 01:51 PM
SanAlfo Offline
Button
SanAlfo  Offline
Button
I love the book! grin

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!"

"When they come, they'll come at what you love"

Someday soon, you're gonna have families of your own. And if you're lucky, you'll remember the little moments. Like this."-
Tony Soprano's toast during the candlelit dinner at Artie Bucco's resturant with his family during a power downing storm
Re: book vs. movie #49302
03/22/03 10:20 PM
03/22/03 10:20 PM
Long Island, NY
deathkiss Offline
Underboss
deathkiss  Offline
Underboss
Long Island, NY
If the GF were based on actual characters, such as the untouchables, then I think it will be approiate use outside sources to check the validity of the godfather. However, with fiction we are seeing to visions of two different artist (puzo and ffc) of the same characters. Some events and characters do overlap. Most are changed, added in one media and omited in another.
Soon, we will be enjoying the newest version of the godfather in novel form. The novel will be based on the characters in the book not the movie.

Therefore, I respectively disagree. Its better to enjoy the two versions of the Godfather seprately because their are too many polar differences between the two.

Send the car for me too, mama

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull