GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (CleanBandit), 273 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,322
Posts1,058,594
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Apollonia's Father.. #48847
10/28/02 11:53 AM
10/28/02 11:53 AM
Mena, Arkansas
Scarlett Offline OP
Underboss
Scarlett  Offline OP
Underboss
Mena, Arkansas
Do you think Apollonia's father was careless when he let Apollonia marry Michael? He must have known he was trouble or he wouldn't have ben hiding out in Sicily in the first place. In the novel it seemed Mr. Vitelli thought it would also be to HIS benefit, maybe financially, if Apollonia married Michael. Wasn't he letting her walk right into danger? If she hadn't been his wife she wouldn't have died? Or should her father and brothers sworn vengance on Michael for placing her in danger. THAT would have made an interesting storyline!!!!

"Life is so beautiful."

"Even the King of Italy didn't dare to meddle with the relationship of a husband and wife."

Don Vito Corleone
Re: Apollonia's Father.. #48848
10/28/02 01:15 PM
10/28/02 01:15 PM
The Bright Side Of The Road
S
Senza Mama Offline
Underboss
Senza Mama  Offline
S
Underboss
Originally posted by Scarlett:
Do you think Apollonia's father was careless when he let Apollonia marry Michael? He must have known he was trouble or he wouldn't have ben hiding out in Sicily in the first place. In the novel it seemed Mr. Vitelli thought it would also be to HIS benefit, maybe financially, if Apollonia married Michael. Wasn't he letting her walk right into danger? If she hadn't been his wife she wouldn't have died? Or should her father and brothers sworn vengance on Michael for placing her in danger. THAT would have made an interesting storyline!!!!
Scarlett, Vitelli probably surmised that the risk to his daughter was small since mafiosi rarely killed anyone except other mafiosi and certain people were off limits, hence the repercussions of the murder of Capt. McCluskey. He probably thought that if Apollonia went to the USA and Michael was killed, then she would be looked after by the Corleone family. At the end of the day she is killed by mistake, the target is Michael.

Tom: "They shot Sonny on the causeway...he's dead."
Michael: "Turnbull is a good man"
Shane MacGowan: "It was Christmas Eve babe, in the drunk tank"
Re: Apollonia's Father.. #48849
10/28/02 02:11 PM
10/28/02 02:11 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Senza Mama:
[QUOTE]...At the end of the day she is killed by mistake, the target is Michael.
Exactly. Remember, Fabrizio specifically asks Michael if his wife will be accompanying him before rigging the car. Michael intended for her to remain behind. By the time both realize Appolonia wants to drive, it is too late.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Apollonia's Father.. #48850
10/28/02 03:20 PM
10/28/02 03:20 PM
Mena, Arkansas
Scarlett Offline OP
Underboss
Scarlett  Offline OP
Underboss
Mena, Arkansas
He could have said "NO" to her and not have allowed the marriage to happen!

"Life is so beautiful."

"Even the King of Italy didn't dare to meddle with the relationship of a husband and wife."

Don Vito Corleone
Re: Apollonia's Father.. #48851
10/28/02 03:30 PM
10/28/02 03:30 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
But he didn't. 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing, and had Vitelli seen in the future and known his daughter would die as a result of this marriage, he probably would not have allowed Michael to meet and marry her, and gladly have given his life to prevent it, as Michael implies might happen.

As it turns out, Michael presents himself in a respectable manner, and maybe Vitelli did see possible personal gain in a marriage between his and the Corleone family. Also, Appolonia and Michael were clearly in love, and he saw his daughter would be happy with this young man.

So no, I do not think he made a careless decision.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Apollonia's Father.. #48852
10/28/02 03:44 PM
10/28/02 03:44 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Online shocked
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Online Shocked
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Then Michael would of had her father killed because he knows now who Michael is. So Michael said to him, that you can either die or let me marry your daughter, basically.

Re: Apollonia's Father.. #48853
10/28/02 03:51 PM
10/28/02 03:51 PM
Mena, Arkansas
Scarlett Offline OP
Underboss
Scarlett  Offline OP
Underboss
Mena, Arkansas
In the novel it quotes Vitelli thinking to himself that Apollonia's beauty would make her fortune and her family secure. He obviously seemed to think that a marriage between her and Michael would benefit him somehow.

"Life is so beautiful."

Don Vito Corleone
Re: Apollonia's Father.. #48854
10/28/02 04:40 PM
10/28/02 04:40 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
So then still, it was not a careless decision.

Even if he had pondered that Michael would one day be harmed, thereby making his daughter a widow, she and her family would still benefit from the marriage. Vitelli could not have foreseen what happened to Appolonia, nor could Michael. Had she not chosen to surprise him by driving the car, exactly what Vitelli had envisioned would have taken place.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Apollonia's Father.. #48855
10/28/02 04:48 PM
10/28/02 04:48 PM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
It didn't seem like the life expectancy of anyone in Sicily was very long anyway. He probably figured that why not go with an obviously wealthy foreigner than one of the locals that would probably end up dead anyway.

"After all, we are not communists"

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

Tony Soprano: Yeah well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
Re: Apollonia's Father.. #48856
10/29/02 01:15 AM
10/29/02 01:15 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by Don Marco:
It didn't seem like the life expectancy of anyone in Sicily was very long anyway. He probably figured that why not go with an obviously wealthy foreigner than one of the locals that would probably end up dead anyway.
I agree, Don Marco. Plus, the novel says of Vitelli that Michael's thunderbolt "was one of those wild strokes of good fortune that Sicilians always believed in, something told him that his daughter's beauty would make her forune and her family secure." This little passage has the ring of authenticity: A guy like Vitelli, with limited prospects for himself and his family in a remote, backward corner of the world, and with a goog-looking daughter to marry off to some local ne'er do well, might very well have cast caution to the wind when this influential foreigner showed up.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Apollonia's Father.. #48857
10/30/02 02:05 AM
10/30/02 02:05 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by Turnbull:
Originally posted by Don Marco:
[b]It didn't seem like the life expectancy of anyone in Sicily was very long anyway. He probably figured that why not go with an obviously wealthy foreigner than one of the locals that would probably end up dead anyway.
I agree, Don Marco. Plus, the novel says of Vitelli that Michael's thunderbolt "was one of those wild strokes of good fortune that Sicilians always believed in, something told him that his daughter's beauty would make her forune and her family secure." This little passage has the ring of authenticity: A guy like Vitelli, with limited prospects for himself and his family in a remote, backward corner of the world, and with a hot-looking daughter to marry off to some local ne'er-do-well, might very well have cast caution to the wind when this influential foreigner showed up.[/b]

Re: Apollonia's Father.. #48858
10/30/02 08:11 AM
10/30/02 08:11 AM
Ireland
goddaughter Offline
Capo
goddaughter  Offline
Capo
Ireland
I've just finished reading the Godfather novel...and Fabrizio is killed in the end....why didnt they put that in the film?

"Leave the gun. Take the cannolis.

"We're all gonna be three little Fonzies - and what was Fonzie?!", "Cool?", "Correct-a-mundo!"

- Jules and Yolanda, Pulp Fiction
Re: Apollonia's Father.. #48859
10/30/02 02:52 PM
10/30/02 02:52 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by goddaughter:
I've just finished reading the Godfather novel...and Fabrizio is killed in the end....why didnt they put that in the film?
Fabrizzio's killing was in a deleted scene from GFII. In the chronologically-spliced versions of GF and II, that scene appears as a fade-away during Anthony's party, while Michael is in the boathouse doing business.

Re: Apollonia's Father.. #48860
10/30/02 06:13 PM
10/30/02 06:13 PM
Ireland
goddaughter Offline
Capo
goddaughter  Offline
Capo
Ireland
Turnbull...(or anybody for that matter!)....how come Im always hearing of these wonderful DVDs with all the cut scenes, commentary, etc., but I never see them in the shops....maybe its just coz im in little old backwards Ireland....and can you only get these little extras on DVD? What about VHS....or is that extinct outside of Ireland now? confused

"We're all gonna be three little Fonzies - and what was Fonzie?!", "Cool?", "Correct-a-mundo!"

Re: Apollonia's Father.. #48861
10/30/02 09:21 PM
10/30/02 09:21 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I can't say what tapes and DVDs are available in Ireland, GD. But, the extra scenes are available here in the US on the DVD set, and in a compilation called "The Godfather Saga" that's shown on TV regularly. It's GF and II in chronological order, spliced together.
Amazon.com has sites outside the US. Can you check your local Amazon to see if they sell the DVD set? That's the most reliable place to get the extra stuff.

Re: Apollonia's Father.. #48862
10/31/02 05:39 AM
10/31/02 05:39 AM
S
Senza Mama Offline
Underboss
Senza Mama  Offline
S
Underboss
Turnbull...(or anybody for that matter!)....how come Im always hearing of these wonderful DVDs with all the cut scenes, commentary, etc., but I never see them in the shops....maybe its just coz im in little old backwards Ireland....and can you only get these little extras on DVD? What about VHS....or is that extinct outside of Ireland now? confused
Dia duit, goddaughter. Yeah the DVD is kinda hard to come by if you want to buy it. Most Xtravisions stock it for rental. Amazon.co.uk does carry the "Trilogy" on DVD at £49.19stg (approx €80):

You can also get the Trilogy on VHS (£26.19stg) and the individual films on VHS as well (approx £12stg each). Don't know where you're based, but try some of the big stores in Dublin or Belfast, however as Turnbull says Amazon is probably the easiest, and delivered next day too.

Re: Apollonia's Father.. #48863
11/01/02 03:27 PM
11/01/02 03:27 PM
Ireland
goddaughter Offline
Capo
goddaughter  Offline
Capo
Ireland
Go raibh míle maith agaibh Senza Mama agus Turnbull.
smile Wow....I cant believe there's somebody else from Ireland here.
Táim i mo chonaí i mBaile Átha Cliath Senza Mama. Agus tú féin?
You living up north? Celtic fan I see!

Re: Apollonia's Father.. #48864
11/04/02 05:53 AM
11/04/02 05:53 AM
S
Senza Mama Offline
Underboss
Senza Mama  Offline
S
Underboss

Táim i mo chonaí i mBaile Átha Cliath Senza Mama. Agus tú féin?
Condae Fhearmanach. smile

Re: Apollonia's Father.. #48865
11/04/02 10:22 AM
11/04/02 10:22 AM
S
Senza Mama Offline
Underboss
Senza Mama  Offline
S
Underboss
goddaughter...just a note of caution on my previous post about buying the GF from Amazon. What they call "The Trilogy" on the UK Amazon site is actually "The Collection" which seems to be the three individual films in a boxed set without any booklets etc. I believe they are the original cinematic versions of the films (i.e. there are no additional footage or deleted scenes restored). However the tapes do contain interviews with FFC, Puzo, Pacino and Shire about the background to the films etc. Still an ideal stocking filler for a family member. lol

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull