GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 259 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,323
Posts1,058,597
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Life is so Beautiful".... #48579
09/11/02 10:41 PM
09/11/02 10:41 PM
South Florida
Goodfella 69 Offline OP
Underboss
Goodfella 69  Offline OP
Underboss
South Florida
for anybody whos read the novel or even for anybody who hasnt why do you think Vito Corleone's dying words were "life is so beautiful"? I mean he had lost many loved ones Im sure including his own son Santino, what are some of your theories on why you think the Don still had an immense amount of respect for life?

"Murders came with smiles, shooting people was no big deal for us Goodfellas..."
Re: "Life is so Beautiful".... #48580
09/11/02 10:56 PM
09/11/02 10:56 PM
Earth
goodfellaoggie Offline
goodfellaoggie  Offline

Earth
i believe when he said this before dying(last glimpse). Don Vito saw the ray of sunlight and smell the fruits in his garden and said "life is so beautiful." he appreciates nature . . .

GoodFella

Life Goes On

"What're You Gonna Do Now, Tough Guy?"
The Notorious Phrase that Would'nt Go Away.
Re: "Life is so Beautiful".... #48581
09/12/02 03:18 AM
09/12/02 03:18 AM
Puppeteer Offline
Underboss
Puppeteer  Offline
Underboss
i always viewed don vito as a very warm, generous, and caring man to those he loved as family and friends. however, he did have his darkside. "with that aside".....

i think after he retired, vito could live the life he always wanted, the type of life that was taken away from him when he was 12.

everytime i view the scenes of young vito and mama corleone, i get soft in the heart because of their loving scenes (bringing the pear home to his wife, before eating...holding his wife's hand and giving her a kiss, admiring baby santino, devastated by fredo's pneumonia). anyways, as you can see vito was a loving man by nature, but had to live the mafia life to provide for his family, and simply put, he believed it was his destiny.

in the novel, puzo wrote that vito's favorite thing to do was care for his garden. it is clearly shown in a deleted scene w/ michael in the garden where mike asks vito about avenging sonny and appollonia's deaths, where vito looks at tomato plants and softly says "beautiful...beautiful."

i feel that after his retirement, vito got to enjoy life and thus died a happy man. besides, he was not afraid of death as he escaped don ciccio's men, and told his beloved consigliere genco, "but, don't be afraid of death." besides, vito was a man of confidence, and surely didn't waste his time brooding over things.

-A Streetcar Named Desire-

Stanley: You want a shot? (offers liquor)
Blanche: No, I rarely touch it.
Stanley: There's some people that rarely touch it, but it touches them often.
Re: "Life is so Beautiful".... #48582
09/12/02 05:27 AM
09/12/02 05:27 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
The producers purposely left out Vito's dying words from the movie, caving in to pressure from church groups fearing those words would make him seem "too human". They couldn't possibly predict that the character of Vito Corleone would soon become one of the most revered movie characters of all time.

This discussion is being moved to the "Novel" forum.

Re: "Life is so Beautiful".... #48583
09/12/02 02:00 PM
09/12/02 02:00 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by puppeteer:

i feel that after his retirement, vito got to enjoy life and thus died a happy man. besides, he was not afraid of death as he escaped don ciccio's men, and told his beloved consigliere genco, "but, don't be afraid of death." besides, vito was a man of confidence, and surely didn't waste his time brooding over things.
I agree, Puppeteer. Contrast Vito's statement with Michael's apologia to Kay at his party in GFIII: "I spent my life protecting my family from the horrors of this world." "But you became my horror," Kay replies. Says it all right there.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: "Life is so Beautiful".... #48584
09/12/02 04:40 PM
09/12/02 04:40 PM
ATL
Omar Suarez Offline
Underboss
Omar Suarez  Offline
Underboss
ATL
I think he was happy that a gun didn't end his life.

How am I not myself?
Re: "Life is so Beautiful".... #48585
09/13/02 12:29 AM
09/13/02 12:29 AM
Puppeteer Offline
Underboss
Puppeteer  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by Turnbull:

[b]
I agree, Puppeteer. Contrast Vito's statement with Michael's apologia to Kay at his party in GFIII: "I spent my life protecting my family from the horrors of this world." "But you became my horror," Kay replies. Says it all right there.[/b]
great point once again, turnbull!

there's just so much parallel intentional and unintentional that come up between vito and michael, and so many angles, too.

vito and michael's lives are similar, but yet michael's life is significantly different from vito's...michael seemed to get the worst thing happen to him.

vito did lose santino, but michael lost mary when the bullet was meant for him. michael lost two wives. he lost his family.

and, like you said in a different post before, turnbull...michael, as don, had to face challenges and live in a time that brought up circumstances that vito didn't have to deal with. also, IMO it's harder to stay on top than to rise to the top. thus, IMO michael always had the harder life ahead of him (well, since the time he killed sollozzo and mccluskey).

-A Streetcar Named Desire-

Stanley: You want a shot? (offers liquor)
Blanche: No, I rarely touch it.
Stanley: There's some people that rarely touch it, but it touches them often.
Re: "Life is so Beautiful".... #48586
09/13/02 04:31 AM
09/13/02 04:31 AM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline
Underboss
Netherlands
I agree with Omar, but I think he appreciates Nature very much (just as I do).

Re: "Life is so Beautiful".... #48587
09/22/02 06:38 PM
09/22/02 06:38 PM
Long Island, NY
deathkiss Offline
Underboss
deathkiss  Offline
Underboss
Long Island, NY
I sort of thought the "life is beautiful" saying was corny and i am glad that they took it out of the film. Expecially when it comes from a man who was responsible for killing countless of men.

Vito dying happy in his garden while playing with his grandchild with the sun on his face was a peaceful setting. He just wanted to provide a good life for his wife and children and his children's children.

Send the car for me too, mama
Re: "Life is so Beautiful".... #48588
09/23/02 04:08 PM
09/23/02 04:08 PM
ATL
Omar Suarez Offline
Underboss
Omar Suarez  Offline
Underboss
ATL
After Reading this part in the book, I see what all of you were saying about his love for nature.

(quote from the book)- He smelled the garden, the yellow shield of light smote his eyes, and he whispered, 'Life is so beautiful'.

I think the Don was happy were he died: his peaceful garden. I also think that he was glad that he didn't die in a pool of his own blood(which is were most gangsters die), instead, he died in the most peaceful place on Earth.

How am I not myself?

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull