GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 366 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday Tommasino Neri.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,428
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,840
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,507
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,307
Posts1,058,307
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
My problem with the novel... #48310
06/03/02 10:08 PM
06/03/02 10:08 PM
Pacific Northwest
CharlieLucifer Offline OP
Made Member
CharlieLucifer  Offline OP
Made Member
Pacific Northwest
I realize that a lot of aspects of the Godfather are based off of real events (Havana... Prohibition... etc.) but I thought that the whole Maranzano - Al Capone stint didn't really add anything to the book.

I'm sort of a mob history buff... (Yeah, I know most of you guys could wipe the floor with me when it comes to that... but I know the basics.) anyways... it seemed weird as hell to me that Puzo made real life characters do things that never happened in order to sort of glorify the Corleone family... in a mafia sense of course.

-Lucky

There's nothin' on the top but a bucket and a mop and an illustrated book about birds.
Re: My problem with the novel... #48311
06/04/02 01:11 AM
06/04/02 01:11 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
A logical answer is that Puzo was trying to get a free ride on history, just like lots of other authors do. He knew something of NYC Mafia history, and so tossed in a chapter from the famous Castellemmarese War of 1930-31, but confused Salvatore Maranzano (the victor, and thus the guy that Vito was most like in the scene you cited) with Joe the Boss Masseria, who lost, and who was gunned down in a restaurant with "his mouth full of bread." Later in the book, Puzo portrays Vito as attempting to reason with another Don who was notoriously hot-headed and homicidal. Finally Vito gives up and says, "But no one can reason with him." That Don is later assassinated in a barber shop. In other words, he's Albert Anastasia, and Vito in this case is Vito Genovese. Vito is called the biggest olive oil producer in America, therefore he's Joe Profaci. He arranges for the assassination of Moe Green (who's Bugsy Siegel), therefore Vito is Lucky Luciano. And he retires after being shot by a rival, therefore he's Frank Costello. And on and on...

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: My problem with the novel... #48312
06/04/02 10:54 AM
06/04/02 10:54 AM
Pacific Northwest
CharlieLucifer Offline OP
Made Member
CharlieLucifer  Offline OP
Made Member
Pacific Northwest
1. In real life... when Lucky (Vito) killed Bugsy (Green) was Meyer Lansky (Roth) pissed?

2. I understand that it was based off of those people, but most of them don't have a direct reference... like Al Capone & Maranzano did...

-Lucky

There's nothin' on the top but a bucket and a mop and an illustrated book about birds.
Re: My problem with the novel... #48313
06/04/02 04:11 PM
06/04/02 04:11 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by CharlieLucifer:
1. In real life... when Lucky (Vito) killed Bugsy (Green) was Meyer Lansky (Roth) pissed?...
Who knows?
But...pissed or not, Roth's 'This is the business we've chosen' speech is to me a pretty good indication of how these things were looked at. It wasn't the killing of Moe Green that pissed Roth, it Michael Corleone's inquiring as to who ordered the hit on Pentangelli. The former was business; the latter was not.

As any regular on the board knows, I haven't read the novel...but it makes perfect sense that Puzo would intertwine his fictional characters with their real-life counterparts of the same era. At the same time, I feel it was wise to omit them from the film, where their presense wasn't needed.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: My problem with the novel... #48314
06/04/02 06:34 PM
06/04/02 06:34 PM
State Asylum
Snake Offline
Underboss
Snake  Offline
Underboss
State Asylum
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
Roth's 'This is the business we've chosen' speech is to me a pretty good indication of how these things were looked at. It wasn't the killing of Moe Green that pissed Roth, it Michael Corleone's inquiring as to who ordered the hit on Pentangelli. The former was business; the latter was not.
I dunno, Apple. I always thought Roth said that for appearance's sake. I think on the surface he wanted to look like 'the noble gangster,' who "didn't ask who gave the order." But you just know that he knows Michael snuffed Moe, and perhaps the whole Moe Green speech was a subtle hint to Michael...as well as another excuse (in Roth's mind) to kill the man who whacked his friend. ohwell

"Vaya con Dios, Castle. Go with God."
"God's going to sit this one out." The Punisher (2004)
Re: My problem with the novel... #48315
06/04/02 08:56 PM
06/04/02 08:56 PM
Upstate New York
Ricardo Offline
Underboss
Ricardo  Offline
Underboss
Upstate New York
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
Originally posted by CharlieLucifer:
[b]1. In real life... when Lucky (Vito) killed Bugsy (Green) was Meyer Lansky (Roth) pissed?...
Who knows?
But...pissed or not, Roth's 'This is the business we've chosen' speech is to me a pretty good indication of how these things were looked at. It wasn't the killing of Moe Green that pissed Roth, it Michael Corleone's inquiring as to who ordered the hit on Pentangelli. The former was business; the latter was not.

As any regular on the board knows, I haven't read the novel...but it makes perfect sense that Puzo would intertwine his fictional characters with their real-life counterparts of the same era. At the same time, I feel it was wise to omit them from the film, where their presense wasn't needed.

Apple[/b]
Yes, bu ta Don killing Maranzano or Masseria COULD be included because that REALLy happenend, but Capone guard sgetting hacked up NEVER happened!

Maranzello and Maresia can be in GF4 (If there ever is) but Capone shouldn't be, they can refer to his charcater as "The Chicago Don".

Also, wasn't J. Edgar Hoover a privat efirend of Jack Woltz, who was a private friend of Philip Tattaglia. SO Tattaglia is being wtahce dover by Hoover, AND Bruno Tattaglia is friends with McCluskey. So Corleone has th ejudges, but Tattaglia's got the Cops, AND the FBI!

Were President Herbert Hoover and J Edgar Hoover related?

Re: My problem with the novel... #48316
06/06/02 10:14 AM
06/06/02 10:14 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Snake:
[QUOTE]...I always thought Roth said that for appearance's sake. I think on the surface he wanted to look like 'the noble gangster,' who "didn't ask who gave the order." But you just know that he knows Michael snuffed Moe, and perhaps the whole Moe Green speech was a subtle hint to Michael...
Yes, I too feel that Roth knew it was Michael who ordered the hit on Moe Green. But I never thought the 'nothing to do with business' speech was simply for appearances. He never would've admitted it was he who ordered Pentangelli's hit anyway, but Roth was right. Upsetting as Green's murder was to him, it was business, the business they had chosen. The Pentangelli 'hit' was business too, and it got Michael nowhere fast in asking Roth who ordered it. In fact, it is very unlike Michael to do something this immature, this unprofessional. Did he perhaps know what Roth's reaction would be? Was this his way of telling Roth "I know what you're up to, and you're not going to get my $2 million..." ??? Aren't we watching two brilliant men at work here, each scheming, distrusting, playing the other until the victor finally emerges? Oooohh....I LOVE watching the deadly chess game that Michael and Roth are engaged in throughout the film!!!

And to think....my brother tells me to 'get a life' every time I try to talk about the GF films!!!

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull