GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 267 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,323
Posts1,058,596
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
4 those who read the book b4 the movie #48066
02/06/02 06:51 AM
02/06/02 06:51 AM
Puppeteer Offline OP
Underboss
Puppeteer  Offline OP
Underboss
This is my first post as I have just joined this board.

One thing that I always wondered is the book or movie better? I know this has been asked many times.

However, I'd like for those who read the book before the movie to post their pick and why.

I have seen many say they like the book better than the movie, but most of them saw the movie first. That is where I think the dilemma (not like it's a bad one) is.

I feel that seeing the movie first, then reading the book makes the book seem better than the movie. And I'll give you my reasons. When I read the book after watching the movies numerous times, I could not help but see Brando, Pacino, Duvall, Caan, etc, and see their gestures and facial expressions. I could not help imagining the characters as how they were in the movie.

In reading the book, I noticed that Vito was a little bit more intimidating and a headstrong figure. I did not really feal any sympathy or have admiration for him. To me, he was another Mafia chief. But, all the while, Brando's way of making you see Vito as a lovable man subconsciously leaks into my mind as I read.

Simply, I got a less sympathetic feel for the Corleone family when reading the novel. The movie had this aura of portraying these men as lovable. And, I feel that the movie feel is in people's minds when reading the novel, thus, making the novel better than it seems. I loved the novel because it had more story and background info on the family. But, in just taking the book as is and not using what I knew from the movie. I like the movie better.

What do you (read book b4 movie) think?

-A Streetcar Named Desire-

Stanley: You want a shot? (offers liquor)
Blanche: No, I rarely touch it.
Stanley: There's some people that rarely touch it, but it touches them often.
Re: 4 those who read the book b4 the movie #48067
02/06/02 06:53 PM
02/06/02 06:53 PM
Miami
D
DonAlx Offline
Capo
DonAlx  Offline
D
Capo
Miami
well i love the book, i read it after i saw the movie which let me understand alot more. I cant say i like one more than the other but theyre both the best in theyre area, my favorite book and movie.

"You don't understand! I could've had class. I could've been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am. Let's face it......It was you, Charley." - Terry (Marlon Brando), On the Waterfront (1954). One of my favorites
Re: 4 those who read the book b4 the movie #48068
02/06/02 10:03 PM
02/06/02 10:03 PM
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Anthony Spilotro Offline
Capo
Anthony Spilotro  Offline
Capo
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I prefer the book bcuz it gives more info than the flick

"Mio padre se chiamo Antonio Andolini, e questo รจ per te." - Robert De Niro to Giuseppe Sillato in The Godfather Part II.
Re: 4 those who read the book b4 the movie #48069
02/07/02 03:53 AM
02/07/02 03:53 AM
Puppeteer Offline OP
Underboss
Puppeteer  Offline OP
Underboss
One of the reasons why I like the book too is because it talks about how Vito became powerful, and it covers more of the family details. However, I think it's because of the movie that I like the book as much as I do.

If I take the book just for the book, I don't think it is as good as it is. While reading the book, it seemed less personal and less mythical.

I think the movie enhances the greatness of the book.

In the book, to me, Michael was a little different. He was more outspoken (like talking back at Sonny when Sonny teased him about his plan of killing McKluskey and Sollozzo). He was more rebellious than his silent rebellious nature in the movie.

To me Vito was more a Mafia chief than a Godfather, in the book. In the movie, he seemed more of a Godfather than just a Mafia chief.

What I'm trying to say is that, to me, the book lacks something that the movie has. And, I wanted to know how those who read the book before the movie liked the book. That is, to separate the book from the movie and just take the book for the book.

I like the book if I take the movie along with it. I don't like the book as much if I read the book without having the movie visuals in my head.

But, I agree....the book is really good.

-A Streetcar Named Desire-

Stanley: You want a shot? (offers liquor)
Blanche: No, I rarely touch it.
Stanley: There's some people that rarely touch it, but it touches them often.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull