GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, Ciment), 403 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,982
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,354
Posts1,059,104
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hoping To Buy The Book Tomorrow... #47910
12/02/01 07:19 PM
12/02/01 07:19 PM
UK
Knocc Out Offline OP
Underboss
Knocc Out  Offline OP
Underboss
UK
yeah im looking forward to it aswell....a couple of questions though...how many pages in hardback is it? and where does the story start and end in the movie? and would u say its more enjoyable than the movies?

Peace, KO

Re: Hoping To Buy The Book Tomorrow... #47911
12/03/01 12:01 AM
12/03/01 12:01 AM
The Wrong Side Of The Tracks
D
Don Rico Offline
Underboss
Don Rico  Offline
D
Underboss
The story begins with the wedding of the daughter of Don Vito Corleone and ends with Kay lighting candles of absolution to pray for the eternal soul of Michael Corleone. The book roughly parallels the movie GFI, with some "flashback" depictions of the life of young Vito and a grossly pandering sub-plot which is well, questionable. Other passages are rich tapestries of exquisite Sicilian beauty, or expansions of themes seen in the film. Don Rico says 'check it out.' cool

Power wears out those who do not have it.
Re: Hoping To Buy The Book Tomorrow... #47912
12/03/01 12:21 AM
12/03/01 12:21 AM
S
Sonny Offline
Underboss
Sonny  Offline
S
Underboss
It is probably my favourite book of all time....personally, I would rather read the novel than watch the trilogy (that's yes, I think it's as enjoyable as the movies, maybe even more...)

goodluck and enjoy

[ December 02, 2001: Message edited by: Sonny ]

"..Your youngest and strongest will fall by the sword.."

"...now you gotta speak more than one language to pull a heist..." Pudge Nichols

"...Never shall innocent blood be shed; yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The THREE shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeaful striking hammer of God..."
Re: Hoping To Buy The Book Tomorrow... #47913
12/03/01 01:49 AM
12/03/01 01:49 AM
Melbourne
Liz_85 Offline
Capo
Liz_85  Offline
Capo
Melbourne
I agree totally with Don Rico and Sonny. The book is really good. I only read it because my dad wouldn't rent me the movies, and after I read the book my dad realized that a book can be more graphic and descriptive than a movie can be, so he caved in and rented them for me - I was 12 at the time. Now The Godfather is my favourite book of all time and I managed to convince my Literature teacher to let us study it in class next year. grin
I highly recommend the book, if you liked the movies then you'll love the book, as a lot of the character's speech is the same and having seen the movie you can picture the actors while you're reading which I think adds to the effect.
It's definately a book worth reading.
Liz.

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend
Re: Hoping To Buy The Book Tomorrow... #47914
12/03/01 12:33 PM
12/03/01 12:33 PM
UK
Knocc Out Offline OP
Underboss
Knocc Out  Offline OP
Underboss
UK
Bad Times frown ....i went to buy the book today..and all the stores i visited didnt have it frown ...this sucks

Re: Hoping To Buy The Book Tomorrow... #47915
12/03/01 06:49 PM
12/03/01 06:49 PM
D
Don Rico Offline
Underboss
Don Rico  Offline
D
Underboss
What's tha deal, homes? It's only one of the most best-sellingest books of like, all time? confused

Power wears out those who do not have it.
Re: Hoping To Buy The Book Tomorrow... #47916
12/03/01 07:25 PM
12/03/01 07:25 PM
UK
Knocc Out Offline OP
Underboss
Knocc Out  Offline OP
Underboss
UK
Originally posted by Don Rico:
What's tha deal, homes? It's only one of the most best-sellingest books of like, all time? confused

exactly...this book store is wack frown ...although i think she did say they had "none any more" meaning it coulda sold out or they coulda stopped ordering it.. mad

Re: Hoping To Buy The Book Tomorrow... #47917
12/03/01 07:29 PM
12/03/01 07:29 PM
S
Sonny Offline
Underboss
Sonny  Offline
S
Underboss
Originally posted by Tha Don KO:
Bad Times frown ....i went to buy the book today..and all the stores i visited didnt have it frown ...this sucks

"...just like ten thousand spoons, when all you need is a knife...." (I can't remember where I read this)

but you're right....this sucks...

"...now you gotta speak more than one language to pull a heist..." Pudge Nichols

"...Never shall innocent blood be shed; yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The THREE shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeaful striking hammer of God..."
Re: Hoping To Buy The Book Tomorrow... #47918
12/03/01 07:57 PM
12/03/01 07:57 PM
Indiana
Neri Offline
Capo
Neri  Offline
Capo
Indiana
Originally posted by Sonny:

"...just like ten thousand spoons, when all you need is a knife...." (I can't remember where I read this)

Haha, I dont know if I should be admitting I know this, but that line is from the song "Ironic" by Alanis Morisette. grin

"As far back as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a gangster." - Henry Hill
Re: Hoping To Buy The Book Tomorrow... #47919
12/03/01 08:09 PM
12/03/01 08:09 PM
S
Sonny Offline
Underboss
Sonny  Offline
S
Underboss
Originally posted by Neri:
....but that line is from the song "Ironic" by Alanis Morisette. grin

"....get outta here...." (Lefty to Donnie)

Re: Hoping To Buy The Book Tomorrow... #47920
12/04/01 07:20 AM
12/04/01 07:20 AM
It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Try amazon.com or something you won't be dissapointed there.

To me it is one of the best books I have ever read and i'm a firm believer that its better than the film. Most books are. Theres only one book in my mind that is better than it and thats Hannibal. Master piece of a book, better than Silence of the Lambs, although Silence as a film is perfect.

So die all who betray Giuliano
Re: Hoping To Buy The Book Tomorrow... #47921
12/28/01 07:44 PM
12/28/01 07:44 PM
California
M
Meisy Offline
Associate
Meisy  Offline
M
Associate
California
Whaat?! I heard someone's teacher is gonna let them study this book? I think it's pretty cool..but isn't the book a little...graphic and 'inappropriate'? rolleyes (stupid teachers)

Nobody is perfect...
I am nobody...
Therefore, I am perfect..!!
Re: Hoping To Buy The Book Tomorrow... #47922
12/29/01 06:47 AM
12/29/01 06:47 AM
Melbourne
Liz_85 Offline
Capo
Liz_85  Offline
Capo
Melbourne
My teacher's letting us study it because, as you put it Meisy, she's cool. I have no idea why I chose to do Literature next year, I'm gonna get bored, so I managed to convince her that studying the Godfather would spice up the course for us abit smile No one complained when I mentioned it, and seeing as the majority of my class will be 18 next year, it doesn't really make a difference as to what book we study. We're still gonna have to do stuff like Pride and Prejudice, but at least I know there'll be one book on the book list I'll enjoy.

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend
Re: Hoping To Buy The Book Tomorrow... #47923
12/30/01 02:12 AM
12/30/01 02:12 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I've seen too many frustrated fans dying to buy the novel and being thwarted--the cup dashed from the lips. Go to www.abebooks.com, the site for Advanced Book Exchange. It's a used book site, and you'll have your choice of price, condition, etc. Easy to use site, too.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Hoping To Buy The Book Tomorrow... #47924
02/05/02 10:17 PM
02/05/02 10:17 PM
Upstate New York
Ricardo Offline
Underboss
Ricardo  Offline
Underboss
Upstate New York
I have the feeling i'm the same age as Liz. I went to WaldenBooks and they had three copies of the 3oth anniversary adition, i went back a week later they had to order it, i finally got it yesterday. 7.99 in paperback for the 30th anniversary edition, does anybody know if the 3oth anniverary addition is different anywhere? They also had the Sicilian, and The Last Don, and Omerta in paperback for 7.99,a nd The Family in hardocver for 24.99

Re: Hoping To Buy The Book Tomorrow... #47925
02/17/02 04:55 PM
02/17/02 04:55 PM
Upstate, New York
CamillusDon Offline
CamillusDon  Offline

Upstate, New York
Here is an idea...go to a used book store in your area...most shops have them...Real cheap! after all the book is over 30 years old.....

"Well, old friend, are you ready to do me this service?"

"I believe in America. America has made my fortune."
Re: Hoping To Buy The Book Tomorrow... #47926
02/18/02 03:58 PM
02/18/02 03:58 PM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
I hhave read the book several times, but don't own it. I have tried to buy it several times at a used store, but haven't found it there. I recently checked the audio version (unabridged)out of the library and have been listening to it in the car on my way to and from work. I have a 1 hour commute and figure in 7 working days I will have re-read the novel.

In the novel, Carlo is described as handsome, extremely well built, and blond. Connie is somewhat plain, but dressed up at the wedding so well as to be almost pretty. Clemenza is described as a giant of a man, very tall with a large belly that he would bumb against the breasts of the women he danced with at the wedding. Sonny and Fredo both have "cupid shaped" faces and curly hair. Both are similar in terms of physical size, with Fredo being the most loyal, and Sonny being generous and having a heart as big as his temper (and member). No mention yet, as of the wedding scene, of Tessio. There is another visitor to Vito on the day of the wedding, a Coppola that needs to borrow $500 to open a pizza shop. The Don only has $400 and shows his humility by borrowing the other $100 from Tom in order to loan the full $500. Also, he wants to see Bonasera last, not Luca. He is very distant and cold to Bonasera for not repecting their friendship.

"After all, we are not communists"

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

Tony Soprano: Yeah well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
Re: Hoping To Buy The Book Tomorrow... #47927
02/18/02 07:44 PM
02/18/02 07:44 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
That was a nice touch, the Don borrowing $100 from Hagen to give young Coppola his money for his pizzeria. Puzo noted that it showed that the Don was gracious enough that he'd borrow money to accommodate even the humblest of his "subjects." Book is full of nice little nuances like that one. Young Coppola was the son of a man the Don worked with on the railroads (probably the subways) in his youth.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Hoping To Buy The Book Tomorrow... #47928
02/19/02 03:30 PM
02/19/02 03:30 PM
Paraguay
Salvatore Offline
Button
Salvatore  Offline
Button
Paraguay
Does anyone of you know where can I find a Godfather Book in spanish?. I think will be better if I first read in my native language. I called every bookstore and they are all sold out. Next week I'm going to Argentina and I'll try there. How much does it cost?

I have Omerta both in spanish and english. I read first in spanish and then in english. It's hard to explain why is easier.

Cheers

Leave the gun... take the cannoli
Re: Hoping To Buy The Book Tomorrow... #47929
02/19/02 04:12 PM
02/19/02 04:12 PM
Brooklyn,NY.
T
Tyler Durden Offline
Capo
Tyler Durden  Offline
T
Capo
Brooklyn,NY.
Originally posted by Salvatore:
Does anyone of you know where can I find a Godfather Book in spanish?. I think will be better if I first read in my native language. I called every bookstore and they are all sold out. Next week I'm going to Argentina and I'll try there. How much does it cost?

I have Omerta both in spanish and english. I read first in spanish and then in english. It's hard to explain why is easier.

Cheers
Yes I believe there is a site with books in spanish...I can't think of the name right now but if I come across it I will give you a holler.

Tony Montana

First rule of Fight Club, you do not talk about Fight Club. Second rule of Fight Club, you DO NOT talk about Fight Club. Third rule of Fight Club, when someone say "stop" or goes limp, the fight is over. Fourth rule of Fight Club, only two guys to a fight. Fifth rule of Fight Club, one fight at a time. Sixth rule of Fight Club, no shirt, no shoes. Seventh rule of Fight Club, fights go on as long as they have to. Eighth and final rule of Fight Club if this is your first night at Fight Club you have to fight.
Re: Hoping To Buy The Book Tomorrow... #47930
02/19/02 10:03 PM
02/19/02 10:03 PM
Miami
D
DonAlx Offline
Capo
DonAlx  Offline
D
Capo
Miami
yeah i believe there is a copy of the book in spanish because my cuban mother only understands that and she read the book in spanish, i read it in english and well its still my favorite book im pretty sure that it my mother read a spanish version but that was years ago when i lived with her.

"You don't understand! I could've had class. I could've been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am. Let's face it......It was you, Charley." - Terry (Marlon Brando), On the Waterfront (1954). One of my favorites
Re: Hoping To Buy The Book Tomorrow... #47931
02/20/02 12:52 AM
02/20/02 12:52 AM
Upstate, New York
CamillusDon Offline
CamillusDon  Offline

Upstate, New York
next time I am downtown I will stop at the used book stores and check on some copies....will post what I find

Re: Hoping To Buy The Book Tomorrow... #47932
02/20/02 10:26 AM
02/20/02 10:26 AM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Would that be downtown Syracuse? I used to go to the Economy Bookstore on South Warren St. I'm guessing it's not there anymore.

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

Tony Soprano: Yeah well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
Re: Hoping To Buy The Book Tomorrow... #47933
02/20/02 11:15 AM
02/20/02 11:15 AM
Upstate, New York
CamillusDon Offline
CamillusDon  Offline

Upstate, New York
Originally posted by Don Marco:
Would that be downtown Syracuse? I used to go to the Economy Bookstore on South Warren St. I'm guessing it's not there anymore.
There are several around Syracuse, but the real lost was when they closed the Book warehouse right off North Salina Street at Court. They had so many great books, new and used. If they didn't have it they would track copies down and get them for you. Even rare copies from private collections or thru their used book system. I often give/Gave rare books as gift to friends with special interests. If it had been printed they seemed to be a able to get you a copy or at least a quote on how much it would cost you to get your hands on it. My step dad talked about a book on ships that he had seen when the author gave a talk on a cruise ship almost 40 years ago. Not only did they help me find out the name of the book, but found me a copy and for a price shipped it to him in time for fathers day. He said it was one of the best gifts ever. Now that is service.

Re: Hoping To Buy The Book Tomorrow... #47934
02/24/02 02:09 PM
02/24/02 02:09 PM
Upstate New York
Ricardo Offline
Underboss
Ricardo  Offline
Underboss
Upstate New York
Originally posted by Don Marco:
I hhave read the book several times, but don't own it. I have tried to buy it several times at a used store, but haven't found it there. I recently checked the audio version (unabridged)out of the library and have been listening to it in the car on my way to and from work. I have a 1 hour commute and figure in 7 working days I will have re-read the novel.

In the novel, Carlo is described as handsome, extremely well built, and blond. Connie is somewhat plain, but dressed up at the wedding so well as to be almost pretty. Clemenza is described as a giant of a man, very tall with a large belly that he would bumb against the breasts of the women he danced with at the wedding. Sonny and Fredo both have "cupid shaped" faces and curly hair. Both are similar in terms of physical size, with Fredo being the most loyal, and Sonny being generous and having a heart as big as his temper (and member). No mention yet, as of the wedding scene, of Tessio. There is another visitor to Vito on the day of the wedding, a Coppola that needs to borrow $500 to open a pizza shop. The Don only has $400 and shows his humility by borrowing the other $100 from Tom in order to loan the full $500. Also, he wants to see Bonasera last, not Luca. He is very distant and cold to Bonasera for not repecting their friendship.
I checked out this same audio by Joe Mantegna. you'll be VERY disappointed. I thoguht they would include the extras, like Lucy, Fontane, Nino, Luca, Neri, etc.

NOPE!

They include just SLIGHTLY more about Godfather, and early Godfather2.
It's just like somebody reading the Godfather transcript out loud, rather than reading the book. About 8 chapters are missing.

Re: Hoping To Buy The Book Tomorrow... #47935
02/24/02 02:14 PM
02/24/02 02:14 PM
Upstate New York
Ricardo Offline
Underboss
Ricardo  Offline
Underboss
Upstate New York
You think finding Godfathe ris hard. I went EVERWHERE, and everybody says: The Sicilian is out-of-print and they CAN'T order it. Same thing with Gangsters for Pc, and Scarface video. I go to Walden Books, Paperbacks of Sicilian, GF30th anniversary, Dark Arena, Fortunate Pilgrim, Omerta, Last Don, all 7.99 and 30+ hardcovers The Family.

They even had the Scarface book, and the Godfather Confesions. Wiseguy, and Bonanno's book were there too. AND the book that Casino was based on.

Re: Hoping To Buy The Book Tomorrow... #47936
02/25/02 10:06 AM
02/25/02 10:06 AM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
The version I had was word for word from the book. It didn't have any well known actors reading it, but the readers have accents and played the parts. I just finished it on the lway to work today. I found myself sitting in the car after I arrived at my destinations just to listen to more.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull