GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 126 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,890
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,327
Posts1,058,664
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Godfather novel/movie vs. real events #47647
09/09/01 02:13 PM
09/09/01 02:13 PM
D
Don Farnsworths Son Offline OP
Associate
Don Farnsworths Son  Offline OP
D
Associate
I understand that the Johnny Fontane character was loosely based on events surrounding Frank Sinatra. Has anyone ever said if the other events in the book/movie are connected to actual events? I would imagine that they are, but have never heard for sure.

"Leave the gun. Bring the canoles."
Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events #47648
09/09/01 03:13 PM
09/09/01 03:13 PM
Pompano Beach, FL
MobbingForMoney Offline
Underboss
MobbingForMoney  Offline
Underboss
Pompano Beach, FL
The Vatican thing in part 3.

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events #47649
09/11/01 02:46 PM
09/11/01 02:46 PM
Quebec city, Canada
B
big al Offline
Wiseguy
big al  Offline
B
Wiseguy
Quebec city, Canada
The Vatican conspiracy is the one that comes to mind for me. Johnny Fontane as Frank Sinatra, i would not bet the farm on this, because I don`t think Frank would cry to the Don for a part in a movie, I think Frank would have kicked the Director`s butt himself to get the part!! grin grin
------------------------
And that I do not forgive !!

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events #47650
09/11/01 05:50 PM
09/11/01 05:50 PM
S
Sonny Offline
Underboss
Sonny  Offline
S
Underboss
There was an incident involving two of Al Capone's men with Luca Brasi (dispatched by Vito Corleone) in the novel.

As SC put it once, the "axe" and the "towel" incidents were real incidents that did take place. I didn't have the chance to ask if they happened simultaneously (as in the novel) or if they happened to Al Capone's men.

I appologize for those who didn't read the novel for not disclosing more details but this is a great part of the novel and you don't want to miss it.

"..Your youngest and strongest will fall by the sword.."

"...now you gotta speak more than one language to pull a heist..." Pudge Nichols

"...Never shall innocent blood be shed; yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The THREE shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeaful striking hammer of God..."
Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events #47651
09/19/01 06:53 PM
09/19/01 06:53 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
As far as the Movie is concerned, the senate hearings involving Michael. While in the movie, Pentangelli turns government witness but later recinds his testimony, In real life Joe Valachi did wind up testifying against his boss. Pentangelli was loosely based on Valachi. Also the characters of the Rosatto Brothers, they were based on real life mobsters named The Gallo Brothers. In the movie they set up Pentangelli for a hit at a bar, then it turned into an all out shootout. In real life when the Gallo brothers were having problems with what I believe was the Profaci family ( who happened to be an Olive Oil King, sound familiar? ), they had set up a meeting at a bar whcih turned into a serious shootout.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events #47652
09/19/01 07:02 PM
09/19/01 07:02 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
[QUOTE]Originally posted by big al:
[QB]The Vatican conspiracy is the one that comes to mind for me. Johnny Fontane as Frank Sinatra, i would not bet the farm on this, because I don`t think Frank would cry to the Don for a part in a movie, I think Frank would have kicked the Director`s butt himself to get the part!!
------------------------

The reason that the Johnny Fontaine character was claimed to be based on Frank Sinatra was for the following reasons:
1st - Just like Fontaine, Sinatra was into a long term contract with Tommy Dorsey, a big time "band leader",and at first Dorsey would NOT let Sinatra out of his contract. Then just like that, he " Changed His Mind" and let Sinatra out of the contract.
2nd- The Fontaine Character wanted a part in a "War MOvie" that was "perfect" for him and would probably bring him back on top. In real life Sinatra's popularity had been on a decline, and a "War Movie" titled From Here To Eternity was being made and there was a character named Maggio that was a perfect part for Sinatra to play. The story Goes that Actually Ava Gardner, who was big time in Hollywood at that time, "convinced" the movie producers to give Sinatra a shot at the part. Sinatra won an academy award for that part and his career took off big time!
These are the main two reasons that many people believe that Johnny Fontaine was based on Frank Sinatra. The similarities of events that happened in the book/movie and in real life with Sinatra.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events #47653
09/23/01 10:52 PM
09/23/01 10:52 PM
Missouri
Bogus Castellano Offline
Underboss
Bogus Castellano  Offline
Underboss
Missouri
That's pretty close to the book. cool

"It is no secret that organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year. This is quite a profitable sum, especially when one considers that the Mafia spends very little for office supplies."
-Woody Allen

"I'm going to blame some of the people in this room. And that, I do not forgive."

-Don Vito Corleone
Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events #47654
09/26/01 03:07 AM
09/26/01 03:07 AM
Ohio
Don Lagrassa Offline
Made Member
Don Lagrassa  Offline
Made Member
Ohio
I would say Valachi was based on Pentangeli very loosely. I mean...at least Pentangeli did the honorable thing and took himself out. Who can say the same for Valachi?

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events #47655
09/28/01 08:20 AM
09/28/01 08:20 AM
Upstate, New York
CamillusDon Offline
CamillusDon  Offline

Upstate, New York
Originally posted by Don Lagrassa:
I would say Valachi was based on Pentangeli very loosely. I mean...at least Pentangeli did the honorable thing and took himself out. Who can say the same for Valachi?

I think Willie Cicci would be more like Valachi.....

"Well, old friend, are you ready to do me this service?"

"I believe in America. America has made my fortune."
Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events #47656
09/28/01 11:48 PM
09/28/01 11:48 PM
Missouri
Bogus Castellano Offline
Underboss
Bogus Castellano  Offline
Underboss
Missouri
Originally posted by CamillusDon:

I think Willie Cicci would be more like Valachi.....

Why?

"It is no secret that organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year. This is quite a profitable sum, especially when one considers that the Mafia spends very little for office supplies."
-Woody Allen

"I'm going to blame some of the people in this room. And that, I do not forgive."

-Don Vito Corleone
Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events #47657
10/02/01 10:33 PM
10/02/01 10:33 PM
Upstate, New York
CamillusDon Offline
CamillusDon  Offline

Upstate, New York
he was a underling......

"Well, old friend, are you ready to do me this service?"

"I believe in America. America has made my fortune."
Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events #47658
10/16/01 09:33 PM
10/16/01 09:33 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
In the novel, the chapter on the Don's war with "Maranzalla" loosely parallels the Castellemmarese War of 1930-31, with "Maranzalla" taking the part of Joe da Boss Masseria, and Vito Corleone as Salvatore Maranzano, the victor in that contest. The Don's life seems to me to be based on Frank Costello's, rather than Lucky Luciano's, as some believe. Also in that chapter, the Don arranges for the assassination of a hot headed Mafioso of whom he says, "but no one can reason with this fellow." That person parallels Albert Anastasia, who was actually mowed down by the Gallo Brothers on orders from Vito Genovese. Moe Green is, of course, Bugsy Siegel.
The movies, especially Part II, have many more ties to "real life." Hyman Roth is Meyer Lansky. The "Lakeville Road boys" are the "Mayfield Road boys" of Cleveland (Moe Dalitz et. al.). "Eddie Levine of Newport" is Eddie Levinson of Covington, KY. "Senator Geary" is Pat McCarren. "Frankie Pentangeli" could be Joe Magliocco, and the "Rosato Brothers" are probably the Gallo Brothers. "Johnny Ola" is Jimmy Blue Eyes Alo. And Part III has very strong, direct ties to Vatican III and the Vatican Bank scandal.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events #47659
10/16/01 09:39 PM
10/16/01 09:39 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
To add to what Don Cardi said about the Rosato Brothers and Pentangeli: In 1961, the Gallo Brothers started a war by seceding from Brooklyn's Profaci Family. Larry Gallo, the eldest brother, was garrotted in the back of the Elegant Lounge on Utica Avenue; the attempted murder was interrupted by a cop who happened inside. This went down exactly like the scene in GF II. The Daily News ran an unforgettable photo of Larry with a huge red circle around his neck where the garrott failed. He claimed he didn't know his assailant. The Gallos lost that war but weren't rubbed out because Joe Profaci got sick. Larry died of cancer. Joey went to the can for 10+ years in a jukebox extortion rap; may or may not have been involved in the '71 shooting of Joe Columbo, and was murdered in Umberto's Clam House. I don't know what happened to kid brother Albert.

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events #47660
10/16/01 10:33 PM
10/16/01 10:33 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally posted by Turnbull:
Larry Gallo, the eldest brother, was garrotted in the back of the Elegant Lounge on Utica Avenue;

One minor correction....the bar in which this strangling took place was "The Sahara Lounge" (Utica and Clarendon Road).

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events #47661
10/17/01 12:54 AM
10/17/01 12:54 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Thanks, SC

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events #47662
10/17/01 10:16 AM
10/17/01 10:16 AM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Another thing to tie Sinatra to Johnny Fontaine is his close relationship to Willie Moretti. Sinatra sang at Moretti's daughter's wedding in 1947 that was held in the Moretti's back yard. Sound familiar?

"After all, we are not communists"

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

Tony Soprano: Yeah well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events #47663
10/17/01 11:35 PM
10/17/01 11:35 PM
Anaheim Hills
Francis The Kid Forducci Offline
Capo
Francis The Kid Forducci  Offline
Capo
Anaheim Hills
I have also heard that the character Moe Green is based on a real man who invented the idea of Las Vegas.
PS. Notice that three of the people who have posted have the same signatures: Big Al, Bogus, and Sonny. But Sonny was the original.

"I had a whole different destiny planned." -Michael Corleone
Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events #47664
10/17/01 11:49 PM
10/17/01 11:49 PM
Pittsburgh
L
Liz Skywalker Offline
Underboss
Liz Skywalker  Offline
L
Underboss
Pittsburgh
Originally posted by Francis The Kid Forducci:
[QB]I have also heard that the character Moe Green is based on a real man who invented the idea of Las Vegas.
QB]

Bugsy Seigel.

"Bacio tua mano."

"But...it was so artistically done."
Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events #47665
10/18/01 12:04 AM
10/18/01 12:04 AM
Cleveland
Rocky Offline
Capo
Rocky  Offline
Capo
Cleveland
I think I read somewhere that Michael was loosly based on Bill Bonnanno. Has anyone else heard this?

— Rocky
Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events #47666
10/18/01 01:08 AM
10/18/01 01:08 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I never heard that Michael was modeled on Bill Bonanno, but I can understand why some might think so. The Bonanno parallel is that, until John Gotti tried to foist his son on the Gambinos, Bill Bonanno was the only NY area son who was intended to succeed his father. The irony is that Bill was acting boss of a family faction while his father was in exile, while Sonny was the acting boss when Michael was in exile.

Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events #47667
10/18/01 01:30 AM
10/18/01 01:30 AM
Cleveland
Rocky Offline
Capo
Rocky  Offline
Capo
Cleveland
OK, I remember where I read that. It was inside the book jacket of Bill Bononno's book: Bound By Honor: A Mafioso's Story.

It says: If Joe Bonanno was the inspiration for Don Vito Corleone, then Bill Bonanno was the role model for son Michael -- and with this book, a man who grew up in the world of Organized Crime tells all.

So my question is this, has anyone heard that Don Vito Corleone was modeled after Joe Bonanno? I've read countless other posts on this site that state many other people Vito was modeled after.

— Rocky
Re: Godfather novel/movie vs. real events #47668
10/18/01 11:10 AM
10/18/01 11:10 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I've never heard of a Vito/Bonanno connection. There is an interesting parallel 'twixt the two. Just as the Corleones had
one capo who remained loyal in time of war (Clemenza) and another who sold them out to another Don (Tessio to Barzini), the Bonnanos had one loyal guy (Frank Labruzzo) and a traitor who sold out to another Don (Gaspar di Gregorio to Stefano Magaddino). N.B.: Richard Castellano played Labruzzo in the TV movie, "Honor Thy Father," which was pretty good.] And there's the parallel between Michael and Bill Bonanno. But Vito was never kidnapped, or forced to take it on the lam, as was Joe Bonanno, which caused a terminal rift in his family.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull