GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
8 registered members (RushStreet, Ben54, blueracing347, Malavita, mustachepete, U talkin' da me ??, 2 invisible), 329 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,611
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,098
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,659
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Death [Re: long_lost_corleone] #467112
01/25/08 12:07 PM
01/25/08 12:07 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Why do you think people will be skeptical?? None of us truly know what happens, so any interesting theory is worth exploring. I have heard this before, and I don't know what I think.

Because I want to believe that there is more to this life, when we do die, not only is there an existence, but that we are often welcomed to it by loved ones that have passed before us. There are reports of people being turned back from death by a loved one. Is that a hallucination, or is it what truly happens? I guess none of us really know, do we??

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Death [Re: Sicilian Babe] #467118
01/25/08 12:17 PM
01/25/08 12:17 PM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
 Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Why do you think people will be skeptical??

People can get pretty uptight when it comes to questions and themes related to religion. Why not? They're investing their lives into it.

But you're definitely right; no one does know what comes next, and it's foolish in saying you do. In my opinion, atheism is just as naive as religious-extremism. No one knows, and anyone who says they do is full of shit.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Death [Re: long_lost_corleone] #467282
01/26/08 02:36 AM
01/26/08 02:36 AM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
That's an awesome theory LLC.

DMT is some crazy shit....

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: Death [Re: long_lost_corleone] #467287
01/26/08 05:19 AM
01/26/08 05:19 AM
Sheffield UK
chopper Offline OP
Gaetano Lucchese
chopper  Offline OP
Gaetano Lucchese

Sheffield UK
 Originally Posted By: long_lost_corleone
There's actually a really interesting theory on death that I want to say was founded at the University of New Mexico(I'd have to check my sources) that has to do with dimethyltryptamine (or, DMT). Basically, DMT is a naturally occurring tryptamine and neurotransmitter. Just about every living thing produces it, and at the same time, it is the most powerful hallucinogenic substance known to man. It's more illegal than heroin, yet we can extract it from grass, tree-frogs, and even the human brain. DMT is only released during two processes... sleep, and death. When you dream, you're actually experiencing a similar experience to the psychedelic/hallucinogenic effects of DMT.

So, the theory hypothesizes that when you die, your brain releases every last drop of DMT. Now, it takes a very, very miniscule ammount to create dreams or to achieve a psychedelic experience in recreational use. We're talking micrograms. Imagine a dose millions of times larger. It's commonly theorized that you have approximately 12 seconds of brain activity after death, and it is also a well known fact among the drug culture that any psychedelic substance is going to alter your perception of time.

Here's where it gets interesting: basically, what this hypothesis states is that those 12 seconds of brain activity, due to the unbelievable strength of the large amounts of DMT being released, seem like an eternity. So, in summary, imagine a psychedelic trip that lasts an eternity, and you've got it. And if that's so, why fear death at all? Why fear it if, in retrospect, it is a euphoric experience. I'm not saying this is what happens when you die... I don't think anyone can rightfully say they know what comes after life, but this is certainly an interesting theory.

Some scientists use this possibility to explain the "near death experience"... You know... Seeing the light and all that.

But my question is, what if you die in your sleep? Are you stuck in that dream for that 12 second eternity? What if you die in the middle of a nightmare? Is that hell?

Again, I'm not saying this is what happens when you die, and I have a feeling I'll get some skeptical responses from some of the more religious posters here if I don't say so, but it certainly is interesting.

I actually wrote a short story based around the theory.

Wow thats a very interesting theory LLC

I enjoyed reading that \:\)

If i come across the table and take your f*****g eyes out ,will you remember

Aniello Dellacroce

TFI Lucky Star
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uw-Uw0DUAGo

Happy Hardcore DJ Hixxy
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pv7H4YkFKs
Re: Death [Re: chopper] #467583
01/26/08 05:11 PM
01/26/08 05:11 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
What if the time and date of your death was fifty years from now? Would you be able to end your life sooner than that? If I found out I had fifty years to live so I decided go skydiving, without a parachute, would I be guaranteed to live because I know I still have fifty years?

Life could be quite exciting knowing that no matter what you did you would live through it, unless of course it was possible to change that date by dying sooner than you were supposed to.

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Death [Re: Blibbleblabble] #467591
01/26/08 05:40 PM
01/26/08 05:40 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Well, we can console ourselves in the notion that the afterlife, at its worst, is no different than the beforelife.

Unless you foolishly believe in Hell.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Death [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #467622
01/26/08 07:26 PM
01/26/08 07:26 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
 Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
Well, we can console ourselves in the notion that the afterlife, at its worst, is no different than the beforelife.

Unless you foolishly believe in Hell.

The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven
-John Milton

Re: Death [Re: Blibbleblabble] #467631
01/26/08 07:43 PM
01/26/08 07:43 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
 Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
If I found out I had fifty years to live so I decided go skydiving, without a parachute, would I be guaranteed to live because I know I still have fifty years?

Yes, but don't do it. You'll end up spending the next 50 years a quadriplegic without brain function.

Re: Death [Re: klydon1] #467656
01/26/08 09:32 PM
01/26/08 09:32 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I don't know, Capo. What about people like Hitler or Idi Amin?? What about Charles Manson or Ted Bundy? Do you truly believe that they won't have to pay for what they did for all eternity?

Re: Death [Re: Sicilian Babe] #467865
01/27/08 12:15 PM
01/27/08 12:15 PM
Underboss
Underboss
I don't know, Capo. What about people like Hitler or Idi Amin?? What about Charles Manson or Ted Bundy? Do you truly believe that they won't have to pay for what they did for all eternity?

I'm an agnostic, and I believe anyone who says they know what's truly out there is incredibly arrogant, be they a religious fanatic or an atheist. At this moment, I assume that the human race, like any species, exists primarily to procreate and prolong its existence, and that nothingness follows life. When it can be proven otherwise to me, I'll accept it.

I don't feel the need to scare myself into being a good person with notions of Heaven or Hell; I think the entire spectrum of human emotion is enough reason to treat others as equals. The idea of wrecking someones ego or spirits or whatever is terrifying enough in itself.

And, if I assume nothingness follows life, we may as well enjoy the time we have alive, so why would I spoil that for another human being?

One question though; if Hitler believed that what he was doing was for the betterment of mankind, the world... If he truly believed he was doing a good thing, does this make him worthy of an eternity in Hell in the eye's of God?

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Death [Re: Sicilian Babe] #467884
01/27/08 03:16 PM
01/27/08 03:16 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK

Definitely. There are two tragedies with Hitler.

1) Not that one person had the assertiveness to do evil, but that millions of others hadn't the courage to do good.

2) He won't be punished for it.

'1' comes from The Magus; '2' from common sense. His suicide was cowardly and frustrating. If '2' were false, and we could guarantee he's now spending his 'days' in eternal condemnation, then we might not look on the Holocaust as black a mark as it is (because the flip side, of course, is that all the victims are now jumping joyous and free, which is just as ridiculous a notion).

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Death [Re: long_lost_corleone] #467885
01/27/08 04:11 PM
01/27/08 04:11 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
 Originally Posted By: long_lost_corleone

One question though; if Hitler believed that what he was doing was for the betterment of mankind, the world... If he truly believed he was doing a good thing, does this make him worthy of an eternity in Hell in the eye's of God?

It's not my call. While I do not believe that human minds are capable of knowing the nature of the Divine, I believe that Hitler would be worthy of immortal salvation if he were truly sorry and remorseful for the atrocities he inflicted on millions, even if that realization came a sacond before his death.

Of course, even if he were remorseful, he obviously would not and should not escape the harshest punishment from humankind.

Re: Death [Re: klydon1] #467893
01/27/08 05:10 PM
01/27/08 05:10 PM
Underboss
Underboss
 Originally Posted By: klydon1

Of course, even if he were remorseful, he obviously would not and should not escape the harshest punishment from humankind.

Well, why not? For me, the only redeeming factor of the entire religion is the notion of forgiveness. If that's done away with, then what's the point? How do we differentiate between a good, loving mind and someone who is naturally bad, but simply scared into a functioning member of mainstream society?

Re: Death [Re: long_lost_corleone] #467916
01/27/08 07:56 PM
01/27/08 07:56 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Why do I believe that there is some afterlife?? Because I have felt the presence of my father many times since his death. He came to see me when my daughter was born, I have spoken to him when I was in despair help, and I felt his calming presence in reply. I believe that even though his body has passed, his spirit is still here, watching and loving us.

That's about as personal a belief as you can get.

And I don't know if I believe in Heaven and Hell as the Church teaches it, but I do believe that evil, true evil, is segregated from others. I don't believe that if you lie to your mother about what time you got home that you will be punished for it. But I do believe that a Hitler or Idi Amin or John Wayne Gacy is going to have a different afterlife.

Maybe I believe that to comfort myself, but I believe it nevertheless.

Re: Death [Re: Sicilian Babe] #467920
01/27/08 08:49 PM
01/27/08 08:49 PM
Underboss
Underboss
SB, you bring up another great question; is there such a thing as a soul?

I don't even know how to begin to answer that. I'd like to think so, but who knows. I'm not entirely sure of how to define a soul, though.

The question I've been asking myself for a while is, if new energy is neither created nor destroyed, where does our energy go after we die? If I'm feeling truly argumentative, I'll go on a tangent about the carbon cycle, and I'm sure some of our energy is distributed down the food chain that way, but I'm not sure if that's the case with the whole of it.

It's an interesting prospect. While I don't believe in any of the answers mainstream religion has brought us, if I had to choose to buy into one, reincarnation is probably the most pleasant.

On the other hand, I don't want to live an excessively long life. I think an afterlife could be sort of depressing if I were to reach the point in which I just want to die (and I don't think it's that far fetched that I should reach that point).

Re: Death [Re: long_lost_corleone] #467930
01/27/08 09:13 PM
01/27/08 09:13 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I wish I knew. I guess the closest I can come to defining a soul is that it is your essence, your spirit, your thoughts and feelings and motivations, if you will. The things that make you YOU, for want of a better way to explain it.

Re: Death [Re: Sicilian Babe] #467946
01/27/08 09:49 PM
01/27/08 09:49 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
If running programs, files on the hard disk etc can all disappear when the computer fails, I am having no trouble in thinking that all my thoughts, feelings and knowledge CAN* disappear when my body decays. I don't see a compulsive need to believe in after life, though it may very well exist.

*not necessarily saying it does.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull