GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (m2w, Toodoped, 1 invisible), 101 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,860
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,511
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,319
Posts1,058,495
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Let's Talk Turkey [Re: Mark] #678392
11/22/12 10:34 AM
11/22/12 10:34 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Mark
"You've got to baste!"

Basta!

Re: Let's Talk Turkey [Re: klydon1] #678525
11/23/12 02:20 PM
11/23/12 02:20 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Despite my brother's constant reminders that there was no pasta, the day was a success. We had a cold antipasto of prosciutto, salami, breadsticks, sopresata, cheeses and turkey pate. We lost a bowl and a platter to breakage, but considering that we had three tables with three separate serving sets for turkey, stuffing, two kinds of cranberry (fresh and jellied), sweet potato pie, baked white potatoes, green beans, broccoli, gravy, three different breads and butter, not bad.

For dessert, we had two chocolate cakes, two pumpkin pies, an apple pie and an ice cream cake. My house is in shambles, but I wouldn't have had it any other way. I'm thankful for family and friends.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Let's Talk Turkey [Re: klydon1] #678557
11/23/12 06:49 PM
11/23/12 06:49 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline OP
klydon1  Offline OP

Pennsylvania
That's a great dinner, SB. I hope you let your brother know that there's no room for pasta on the Thanksgiving dinner table.

Right now I'm in the process of making a giant pot of turkey barley soup from the meatier carcass of one of the turkeys my mom cooked.

Re: Let's Talk Turkey [Re: klydon1] #678571
11/23/12 08:15 PM
11/23/12 08:15 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
It's a long-running joke in the family. My relatives always made pasta first, usually lasagna. I did it, too, the first few times I had Thanksgiving, but was sick of nobody having room for the turkey.

Re: Let's Talk Turkey [Re: klydon1] #678608
11/23/12 09:28 PM
11/23/12 09:28 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline OP
klydon1  Offline OP

Pennsylvania
Well done. The turkey is the star of the day.

Re: Let's Talk Turkey [Re: J Geoff] #678656
11/24/12 03:21 AM
11/24/12 03:21 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted By: J Geoff

Spent another 2 hrs making the actual soup today, after the 4+ hours yesterday. Sheesh! Here we go....

This is based on "Mom's Turkey Soup" but it was very vague (no quantities of anything mentioned), so I took a stab at it after looking at a bunch of different recipes and came up with my own, flying by the seat of my pants:

Day 1: Turkey Stock
  • Remove all good turkey meat from the carcass
  • Break up bones a bit and place in a roasting pan, with the skin and giblets (except liver) and roast in 350°F oven for 1 hour. [Optional]
  • Meanwhile, go through the turkey meat and remove any fat, skin, cartilage and bones. The white meat came out a bit tough for the soup, so use sparingly or use for sandwiches. Place meat in a bowl and cover with chicken stock to keep moist. Cover and refrigerate.
  • After bones have roasted, place into large stock pot or dutch oven. Cover with cold water by an inch. I used 64 oz cold spring water + 64 oz Swanson Organic Vegetable Broth (as it would expire in a few weeks). Add about 2 tbsp Cider Vinegar, and any drippings (about a 1/4 cup in my case) not already used for gravy.
  • Turn heat to medium and add half a large yellow onion (quartered then separated), coarse chopped carrots (I used 2, could've used 3 or 4), 3/4 bunch of parsley (as is), 5-6 branches of thyme, bay leaf, 8-10 halved celery tops (or a couple celery stalks, cut in large pieces), about a dozen whole peppercorns, pinch dried tarragon, a sprig of fresh sage, sprig of fresh dill, 1-2 smashed cloves of garlic, and a few sprinkles of celery seed, and some Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper (you can always add more later, so don't over do it).
  • Heat until it's at a bare simmer (don't boil), skimming off any foamy crud that may float to the top. Check it every 30 minutes for the next 3 hours or so, when the meat falls off the bones.
  • Let cool a bit, then remove bones and veggies and strain the stock through a colander (lined with cheese cloth, or use a mesh sieve) over a large bowl or pot. Pick through for good pieces of meat and add to reserved meat in fridge.
  • Let stock cool for a while and skim off any crud on top. Pour into quart soup containers (I yielded 3 quarts of stock) and refrigerate.

Day 2: Turkey Soup
  • Remove stock from fridge and remove solidified fat from the stock and KEEP. You'll use some in the next step.
  • Put some turkey fat in the pot, and heat on medium. Add 2-3 cloves minced garlic, the other half of the onion (finely chopped), and 4-5 chopped carrots. Saute to let sweat until onions are softened and carrots are al dente. [Or you can skip this step and just cook the veggies in the soup itself -- it didn't seem to save any time]
  • Add the stock one quart at a time (it will be congealed) and stir until loose. Add 1+ tbsp finely chopped celery leaves (or 1-2 chopped celery stalks), 2+ tsp chopped fresh dill, a sprig each of thyme and sage, 1/4+ cup chopped parsley, pinch or two of dried tarragon, a few grinds of poultry seasoning or a tsp or two of Bell's, and a pinch or two of Kosher salt and ground pepper.
  • Cook with a bare simmer, do not boil.
  • Meanwhile, prepare 1.5-2 cups of rice. I used Success rice, boiled in the bag for 8 minutes. [Or you can use noodles or Pastina, etc]
  • Meanwhile, go through the turkey meat again (don't discard the chicken broth it's been soaking in). Feel and taste as you pull apart bite-sized pieces and place in a separate bowl. As I said, some white pieces may have become tough already, so just eat them now. When finished, strain the broth to be sure no small pieces of bone remain. Put turkey pieces back in broth.
  • When the carrots and onions are cooked through (but not mushy), add the rice and stir.
  • Turn off burner, and add turkey meat and its soaking liquid into soup.
  • Adjust seasoning to taste -- mine was a bit bland, so I adjusted. It should be even better the next day, though.
  • If not using immediately, pour into quart soup containers (I yielded 4 quarts of soup) and refrigerate.

I'll know better tomorrow if it's worth it all -- but I'm sure some improvements can be made. For instance, more onion (only had 1 large) and more carrots (only had 5 medium-sized carrots on hand), and possibly more herbs, etc.

It's a work-in-progress, but good, though!

That's what I did last year, and, apparently I never posted that it was just eh (kinda tasteless) after 6+ hrs of work. I'm looking for a new recipe this year, which I'll probably do on Sunday, if anyone has any they're willing to share...

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Let's Talk Turkey [Re: klydon1] #678657
11/24/12 03:26 AM
11/24/12 03:26 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
P.S. This year it wasn't catered; there were just 4 of us. My mom started everything as usual -- the turkey, her awesome rice/sausage stuffing, her mushroom pie (to die for!), her gravy, candied sweet potatoes (she enhanced), plus pre-made mashed potatoes -- and then I finished everything off the last couple hours, then carved and served. Just like the good ol' days. cool smile

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

Re: Let's Talk Turkey [Re: klydon1] #678763
11/24/12 04:42 PM
11/24/12 04:42 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
JG, I'm very confused about this recipe. I've heard lots of people say they make soup from the turkey carcass, and it makes no sense to me. What makes good soup is the gelatin in the bones. Once you bake it, the gelatin is gone, so I imagine that it would be a bit bland.

We use the neck to make stock. We simply simmer the neck with a couple of stalks of celery and a couple of onions that are quartered, along with some salt and pepper. After simmering for an hour or two, it's delicious.

Re: Let's Talk Turkey [Re: klydon1] #678777
11/24/12 05:37 PM
11/24/12 05:37 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

I was thinking the same thing about roasting the bones, Babe. I don't plan on doing that again -- I got that from a different recipe. I'm going to work on a new batch this weekend. Tho my dumbass threw away the neck after my mom picked the meat out of it for the gravy. whistle

Re: Let's Talk Turkey [Re: klydon1] #678778
11/24/12 05:41 PM
11/24/12 05:41 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline OP
klydon1  Offline OP

Pennsylvania
I made my turkey soup from the carcass yesterday. I separate the larger pieces of meat before boiling the frame. My mom had given me about a pint of drippings, which I refrigerated and skimmed before throwing it in.

After about 45 minutes I removed the frame and bones, skimmed the fat, added salt and pepper, and then put in chopped onions, carrots, celery, cabbage and potato. I brought it to a boil and added barley. After 30 minutes I simmered it and added the turkey pieces.

It's better today than it was last night.

Re: Let's Talk Turkey [Re: klydon1] #678798
11/24/12 06:59 PM
11/24/12 06:59 PM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
After reading all these turkey stories I'm ready to bring on the HAM...

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: Let's Talk Turkey [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #678804
11/24/12 07:14 PM
11/24/12 07:14 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline OP
klydon1  Offline OP

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti
After reading all these turkey stories I'm ready to bring on the HAM...

I have a huge spiral sliced ham in my garage refrigerator. I'm not sure when we're going to make it, but the bone will be used for ham and bean soup.

Re: Let's Talk Turkey [Re: klydon1] #678808
11/24/12 07:27 PM
11/24/12 07:27 PM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Originally Posted By: klydon1
That's a great dinner, SB. I hope you let your brother know that there's no room for pasta on the Thanksgiving dinner table.

Right now I'm in the process of making a giant pot of turkey barley soup from the meatier carcass of one of the turkeys my mom cooked.

Kly I might drive out to your area probably past there shoot some Clay Pigeons

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: Let's Talk Turkey [Re: klydon1] #678812
11/24/12 07:35 PM
11/24/12 07:35 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I made my turkey soup from the carcass yesterday. I separate the larger pieces of meat before boiling the frame. My mom had given me about a pint of drippings, which I refrigerated and skimmed before throwing it in.

After about 45 minutes I removed the frame and bones, skimmed the fat, added salt and pepper, and then put in chopped onions, carrots, celery, cabbage and potato. I brought it to a boil and added barley. After 30 minutes I simmered it and added the turkey pieces.

So, what time is dinner? Did I hear you invited the entire BB over for some Turkey soup. We're on our way. smile I'll be there in about 3/4 days, the rest of the gang much sooner. lol

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Let's Talk Turkey [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #678822
11/24/12 08:51 PM
11/24/12 08:51 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline OP
klydon1  Offline OP

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

So, what time is dinner? Did I hear you invited the entire BB over for some Turkey soup. We're on our way. smile I'll be there in about 3/4 days, the rest of the gang much sooner. lol

TIS

Still some left and you're welcomed to it. I have a stromboli ready to go in the oven for the football game tonight. The soup is very good, but I need a little break from it.

Re: Let's Talk Turkey [Re: klydon1] #678823
11/24/12 08:54 PM
11/24/12 08:54 PM
California

California

TIS

Still some left and you're welcomed to it. I have a stromboli ready to go in the oven for the football game tonight. The soup is very good, but I need a little break from it.

But I'm not into sports. Can we watch Lifetime Television for Women instead? lol

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Let's Talk Turkey [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #678825
11/24/12 09:04 PM
11/24/12 09:04 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline OP
klydon1  Offline OP

Pennsylvania

TIS

But I'm not into sports. Can we watch Lifetime Television for Women instead? lol

TIS

Umm...okay, sure. Why not.

Re: Let's Talk Turkey [Re: klydon1] #678826
11/24/12 09:09 PM
11/24/12 09:09 PM
California

California
Geez, you're so agreeable. smile

TIS

Re: Let's Talk Turkey [Re: klydon1] #678848
11/24/12 10:33 PM
11/24/12 10:33 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I don't know, TIS. That sounded more like Frank Pentangeli's, "Yeah! Sure!" lol

Re: Let's Talk Turkey [Re: Sicilian Babe] #678850
11/24/12 10:52 PM
11/24/12 10:52 PM
California

California
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I don't know, TIS. That sounded more like Frank Pentangeli's, "Yeah! Sure!" lol

Ha ha ha! You're right! lol

TIS

Re: Let's Talk Turkey [Re: Sicilian Babe] #678851
11/24/12 10:53 PM
11/24/12 10:53 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline OP
klydon1  Offline OP

Pennsylvania
I'd set up a second tv, but if Notre Dame falls behind, you ladies may have to excuse some questionable language. blush

Re: Let's Talk Turkey [Re: klydon1] #684108
12/18/12 06:06 AM
12/18/12 06:06 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Speaking for us Thanksgiving virgins, a week today i will be getting ready to tear up some turkey and drink some beer. Just got to let he fat fella in the red suit do his business first cool

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Let's Talk Turkey [Re: klydon1] #750459
11/27/13 12:10 PM
11/27/13 12:10 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline OP
klydon1  Offline OP

Pennsylvania
I thought it was time to revive this thread. It's almost time to feast on some dark meat pulled from the thigh of the chubby bird.

Re: Let's Talk Turkey [Re: klydon1] #750461
11/27/13 12:15 PM
11/27/13 12:15 PM
Cajunland
LaLouisiane Offline
Cajun Mafia
LaLouisiane  Offline
Cajun Mafia
Underboss
Cajunland
Fried turkey!!! MMMMMMMM!!!

"What are you cacklin' hens cluckin' about?!?!"

"Is that him?!? With the sombrero on?!?"

Re: Let's Talk Turkey [Re: klydon1] #750533
11/27/13 08:56 PM
11/27/13 08:56 PM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
Sweet potatos served blended and covered in marshmellows, my favorite after the turkey and stuffing.

Re: Let's Talk Turkey [Re: jace] #751673
12/05/13 12:49 PM
12/05/13 12:49 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
As I comment on this thread every year, I am jealous, still 20 days before I can pull any meat off the fat bird.....

I am like one of Pavlov's dogs salivating at the sound of the bell lol

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull