GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Mafia101, mustachepete, 1 invisible), 328 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,519
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,971
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,354
Posts1,059,078
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 153 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 152 153
Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #442755
10/11/07 10:52 AM
10/11/07 10:52 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
 Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I really don't mind meatloaf. I haven't made it in a while though. And...it's not something I'd ever order in a restaurant. Does anyone order meatloaf at a restaurant?

TIS

Usually you could tell a good diner by the number of truckers, who eat there. If it's busy, the next step is to get the meatloaf.

By the way, one of the best meatloaf meals I ever had was at the Bob Evans chain. That was ten years ago. i just don't go to Bob Evans often.

Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: Don Cardi] #442978
10/12/07 12:59 AM
10/12/07 12:59 AM
Caldwell, North Jersey
JRCX Offline
SicilianCulture.com
JRCX  Offline
SicilianCulture.com
Capo
Caldwell, North Jersey
Well, tonite I did in fact find time to make rice balls, I didnt get the chop meat like i hoped to fill the center, but i did make the marinara sauce and made the rice balls slightly smaller than regular meat balls and fried them up... nice and crispy on the outside, and its a good way to recycle leftovers you might normally regret and/or throw out... tomorrow (friday) is pizza nite, i think i might just order it out from a place in town i have not tried in awhile (italianissmo, featured in the sopranos), they are the only ones in town with a brick oven, but i have to see how the day/mood/money plays out lol.

"There are 2 types of people in the world, Italian, and those who wish they were Italian."

# # # JRCX
Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: JRCX] #442979
10/12/07 01:03 AM
10/12/07 01:03 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

I didn't have time to eat for a 24-hour period because JRCX was bossing me around all day and making me work under pressure deadlines. So after my 11-hour-shift to save his ass (once again), I went out to the pub and got a roast beef sandwich and potato soup... \:p

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: J Geoff] #442998
10/12/07 03:44 AM
10/12/07 03:44 AM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
A good potato soup is worth its weight in gold. The right seasonings (and a little heavy cream), and it is truly wonderful.

On the other hand, positively the worst one I ever had was at Panico's in New Brunswick. What purported to be a puree of leeks and potatoes was, somehow, rendered absolutely tasteless by the chef. I still do not know how you can remove all the flavor from leeks and potatoes - but, somehow, they were able to do it.

Anyway - tonight's dinner. Haven't decided yet, but it will probably be something with a chicken breast or shrimp. At least, that's what was staring me in the face when I looked in the freezer a few moments ago. Noticed some frozen homemade basil pesto, too.

Methinks there are the fixin's for a decent meal here.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: Signor Vitelli] #443061
10/12/07 07:47 AM
10/12/07 07:47 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli

On the other hand, positively the worst one I ever had was at Panico's in New Brunswick. What purported to be a puree of leeks and potatoes was, somehow, rendered absolutely tasteless by the chef. I still do not know how you can remove all the flavor from leeks and potatoes - but, somehow, they were able to do it.

Signor V.

Who goes to a place like Panicos, which is known for it's Italian cuisine, and orders Potatoe Soup?

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: JRCX] #443066
10/12/07 08:17 AM
10/12/07 08:17 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
JRCX,

Rice Balls were a yearly tradition in my family. I don't know the accurate history of how this food came about, but in my family it was on St. Lucy's Day that we made them.

I had a great aunt who at a young age "almost" went blind. Don't know the specifics but St.Lucy is the patron Saint of the eyes and so I was told she prayed to St. Lucy every night and thankfully did not lose her site. Since that time, my father's whole generation would make riceballs on St. Lucy's Day (Dec. 12 or 13th I think).

If St. Lucy's Day was on a Friday, when we couldn't eat meat, they'd obviously make a meatless batch and we'd save the meat ones for the next day.

Gee, brings back memories. I wasn't even born when my Great Aunt went through this, but she was still alive when I was young, and I remember the family getting together making rice balls. It was like a mini holiday. \:\) Just like when they'd make the homemade pasta, rolling the dough, curling it. Man, an all day event.

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 10/12/07 08:18 AM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: Don Cardi] #443095
10/12/07 10:22 AM
10/12/07 10:22 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
 Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Signor V.

Who goes to a place like Panicos, which is known for it's Italian cuisine, and orders Potatoe Soup?

Potatoe soup??

Who are you, Dan Quayle? \:p

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: pizzaboy] #443161
10/12/07 02:51 PM
10/12/07 02:51 PM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Potatoe soup??

Who are you, Dan Quayle? \:p

Don Quardi

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #443248
10/12/07 11:10 PM
10/12/07 11:10 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
TIS, I would imagine that the reason for the riceballs on St. Lucy's was because you're not supposed to eat wheat on her feast day. Supposedly, she was martyred in a wheat field (or something with a wheat field). If you notice, in every picture of her, she's carrying a stalk of wheat and her eyes on a plate. December 13th is a very big Sicilian holiday.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: Sicilian Babe] #443263
10/12/07 11:41 PM
10/12/07 11:41 PM
California

California
SB,

Thanks for the refresher. \:\) I do remember now not eating wheat and also I have seen pictures or statues of St. Lucy holding the eyes. My Aunt was from Sicily and since you say it's a very big Holiday there, I am assuming this affliction of hers occurred in Italy when she was very young and was carried over here.

My great aunt passed away in the mid 1960's but my family in Michigan still makes the riceballs to this day, and celebrates the holiday.

Thanks again

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #443271
10/13/07 12:20 AM
10/13/07 12:20 AM
Caldwell, North Jersey
JRCX Offline
SicilianCulture.com
JRCX  Offline
SicilianCulture.com
Capo
Caldwell, North Jersey
Great notes on St. Lucy, there is a statue of her in a small church on Pine Street in Montclair... It was my mother's name and she never liked the story/statue of her because it was so morbid... as the legend goes (and I am sure I will be corrected if wrong), but this man kept telling her what beautiful eyes she had but she kept telling him she was committed to God. He was relentless and kept complimenting her on her eyes day after day, so she pulled them out and put them on a plate for him and said "here you go since you think they are so beautiful" -- wow, no wonder why my mother hated the association... someone pls tell me there is a different story behind it? Thats extreme even for Sicilians LOL.

As for Geoff, well, if he wants to sleep till noon and not eat breakfast, thats not my fault, and yes, he saved my ass, not the first time, and definitely not the last lol, but what are friends for??

Lastly, Panico's, well, while the osso buco was good, no doubt, the appetizers were not just overcharged for, but of inferior quality of what should be passed off for that price in an "authentic" Italian restaurant. I was there for the company, not the food, but just because a few govenors and senators ate there, no reason to charge $18 per person for hot and cold appetizers that you can get in a local supermarket of far better quality...

Just my 3cents (-:

"There are 2 types of people in the world, Italian, and those who wish they were Italian."

# # # JRCX
Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: JRCX] #443389
10/13/07 11:51 PM
10/13/07 11:51 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

No wedding food tonight - I got the weekend off. Then realized I hadn't had a steak in forever, so ordered a T-Bone w/ mashed potatoes and a salad

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: J Geoff] #443390
10/14/07 12:01 AM
10/14/07 12:01 AM
California

California
Sounds good. You know what though? I love mashed potatos, but for some reason I always have to have baked potato with steak.

TIS

Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #443391
10/14/07 12:10 AM
10/14/07 12:10 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

I love real mashed potatoes (I was raised on instant \:\/ ), and most places seem to serve instant as well... but I never pass up the real deal so had to get it! \:D

Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: J Geoff] #443393
10/14/07 12:43 AM
10/14/07 12:43 AM
Caldwell, North Jersey
JRCX Offline
SicilianCulture.com
JRCX  Offline
SicilianCulture.com
Capo
Caldwell, North Jersey
Me and a friend went to the Outback Steakhouse (his choice), had the babyback ribs, way better than Chilis, but not as good as Tiffany's (they are the best by far)... got the garlic mashed potatoes, and quite frankly, they sucked... tasted more like they cook it in fish stock or something lol... I SHOULD have had the sweet potato or a baked potatoe... instant mashed potatoes don't bother me, i love potatoes so much i can eat they anyway you can serve them :-) I also had a great martini, it had pomegrante juice, Skyy vodka and Absolut Pear vodka...

# # # JRCX
Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: J Geoff] #443408
10/14/07 02:27 AM
10/14/07 02:27 AM
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

Originally Posted By: J Geoff

I love real mashed potatoes (I was raised on instant \:\/ ), and most places seem to serve instant as well... but I never pass up the real deal so had to get it! \:D

You poor guy...

My fiancee only makes real, I refuse to eat plastic mashed potatoes.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: Longneck] #443416
10/14/07 04:04 AM
10/14/07 04:04 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

I'll see you in the "Vale of Paradise" tomorrow then \:p ;\)

Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: J Geoff] #443437
10/14/07 10:21 AM
10/14/07 10:21 AM
California

California
I really don't mind instant potatos. I prefer "real", but I have made instant and even though I can taste a definite difference, I don't think they're too bad.

\:\)

TIS

Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #443449
10/14/07 12:18 PM
10/14/07 12:18 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

Don't get me wrong -- as I said, I was raised on them, and even make them myself -- I just said I liked the real ones better ;\)

Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: J Geoff] #443450
10/14/07 12:22 PM
10/14/07 12:22 PM
California

California
Geoff, I know exactly what you're saying. I think we'll all agree "real" is better. \:\)

TIS

Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #443538
10/14/07 09:15 PM
10/14/07 09:15 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I love mashed potatoes, and only make real. The secret is to whip them when they are very hot. I try to ease the fat content by making them with 1/3 butter and cream, and 2/3 margarine and skim, and it's not half bad. But I am rather obsessive (I know, big surprise) about getting all the lumps out. If they are not smooth and creamy, I don't want to eat them.

As for Panico's, I swear that I can't remember the appetizers!! My filet mignon was so tender and delicious, that I don't remember much else!

Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: Sicilian Babe] #443556
10/14/07 10:04 PM
10/14/07 10:04 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
 Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
As for Panico's, I swear that I can't remember the appetizers!! My filet mignon was so tender and delicious, that I don't remember much else!

You were kind of "gone" by the time we started eating. I'm surprised you remember the filet mignon. \:p

Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: SC] #443559
10/14/07 10:11 PM
10/14/07 10:11 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Well, between the watermelon martinis and the wine that DT was kind enough to send, I'm surprised I can remember New Brunswick!!!

Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: Sicilian Babe] #443561
10/14/07 10:39 PM
10/14/07 10:39 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Don't feel bad.... I don't really remember the appetizers either. I do remember, however, that I REALLY enjoyed my filet mignon, too.

Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: Sicilian Babe] #443576
10/15/07 01:04 AM
10/15/07 01:04 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
 Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I am rather obsessive (I know, big surprise) about getting all the lumps out. If they are not smooth and creamy, I don't want to eat them.

I'm so used to instant, finding some lumps is always a very pleasant surprise to me! ;\)

Tonight it was pizza - white pie w/ broccoli and garlic (and of course ricotta)

Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: J Geoff] #443577
10/15/07 01:53 AM
10/15/07 01:53 AM
Caldwell, North Jersey
JRCX Offline
SicilianCulture.com
JRCX  Offline
SicilianCulture.com
Capo
Caldwell, North Jersey
For those who can order from http://calandrasbakery.com/ you should try it, not only one of the best breads in NJ but they also have a great line of pastas, ravioli but are best known for their pastries... I went to "Vince's Family Market" after church to get some italian things you cant find anywhere else normally... imported pastas, olive oil, other such stuf... and I got some baby lamb chops and eggplant for tomorrow, got to figure out how to do the eggplant on the grill since it will be one of the last warm days of the year... :-)

# # # JRCX
Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: JRCX] #443580
10/15/07 02:52 AM
10/15/07 02:52 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
 Originally Posted By: JRCX
...for tomorrow, ... since it will be one of the last warm days of the year... :-)

Save it for Thursday \:p

Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: J Geoff] #443754
10/15/07 11:13 PM
10/15/07 11:13 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Pizza rolls

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: Mignon] #443759
10/16/07 01:20 AM
10/16/07 01:20 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

I finished the pizza (at least it's a healthful pie ;\) )

Re: Tonight's Dinner [Re: J Geoff] #443863
10/16/07 12:04 PM
10/16/07 12:04 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Rotisserie chickens from Costco.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Page 8 of 153 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 152 153

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull