GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 184 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,860
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,511
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,319
Posts1,058,492
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: J Geoff] #437615
09/20/07 05:31 PM
09/20/07 05:31 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
 Originally Posted By: J Geoff

ALL RIGHT THAT'S IT!!!! I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE!!!! I'M GOING TO WOLFIES!!!!

I'm coming Geoffy. Maybe Don T will drive across the state of Florida to meet us.

The Rascal House in Sunny Isles is still open, so let's go.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: J Geoff] #437636
09/20/07 06:30 PM
09/20/07 06:30 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

It's so hard to take pictures of food and capture the scale for some reason... but it's almost as tall as the soda can \:D

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: Don Cardi] #437640
09/20/07 06:42 PM
09/20/07 06:42 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
With all this deli talk I just may have to make a trip to Harold's pretty soon.

Please take me with you.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: J Geoff] #437650
09/20/07 07:13 PM
09/20/07 07:13 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Food photography is really an art. They're making a ton of money now, deservedly so.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: J Geoff] #437676
09/20/07 09:22 PM
09/20/07 09:22 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York

An overstuffed sandwich is much like a beautiful woman... they're nice to look at but you don't necessarily want to eat one.

That sandwich (above) is TOO big... I understand thats part of its appeal and that you can easily make TWO sandwiches from it and thats what I'd probably do... I'm much more interested in the quality of the meat on it (rather than its size).

That said, Harold's (in Edison, where a group of us went a few years ago) was a very good deli! Rather than just rating it on the size of their sandwiches, the food itself was good and all the little extras (side dishes, pickles and condiments, etc.) were plentiful and decent.

Of course, the company there added just added to the enjoyment of the meal.

Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: J Geoff] #437677
09/20/07 09:24 PM
09/20/07 09:24 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California

It's so hard to take pictures of food and capture the scale for some reason... but it's almost as tall as the soda can \:D

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! That look so good!!!! \:D I love pastrami.

Btw, is there any other way to have pastrami besides in a sandwich? Maybe a dumb question, but that's the only way I know of to eat it.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #437680
09/20/07 09:45 PM
09/20/07 09:45 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
 Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Btw, is there any other way to have pastrami besides in a sandwich? Maybe a dumb question, but that's the only way I know of to eat it.

You can fry it up and serve it with vegetables.

Pastrami is really corned beef thats been spiced up... I suppose you could substitute it for corned beef in some other dishes also.

Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: SC] #437683
09/20/07 09:50 PM
09/20/07 09:50 PM
California

California
Ahh, I always thought corned beef and pastrami were quite similar. Years ago a co-worker would always make corned beef and cabbage on St Patrick's Day I think???? (is it Irish?) and bring it for all of us to share. It was relly good. \:\)

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #437685
09/20/07 09:58 PM
09/20/07 09:58 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Ahh, I always thought corned beef and pastrami were quite similar. Years ago a co-worker would always make corned beef and cabbage on St Patrick's Day I think???? (is it Irish?) and bring it for all of us to share. It was relly good.

Corned beef and cabbage is an American-Irish dish.... they rarely use corned beef back in the old country (with the cabbage).

Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: SC] #437700
09/20/07 11:17 PM
09/20/07 11:17 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
 Originally Posted By: SC

An overstuffed sandwich is much like a beautiful woman... they're nice to look at but you don't necessarily want to eat one.

That sandwich (above) is TOO big... I understand thats part of its appeal and that you can easily make TWO sandwiches from it and thats what I'd probably do... I'm much more interested in the quality of the meat on it (rather than its size)

Ummm... If it didn't taste good you think I'd spend $16 on it? LOL But the size is definitely a plus. ;\) and yes, of course, it comes with a middle slice of bread, so i eat it in sections -- that "san" is eaten in 2 sittings (well, I actually stand for that one lol )

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: pizzaboy] #437727
09/21/07 01:20 AM
09/21/07 01:20 AM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
but where can I get spray seltzer?

Canned seltzer will do.

Yeah - especially if you shake the can before you open it!

My grandmother lived in Coney Island until she entered a nursing home around 1993. She always had the old-style seltzer bottles delivered, so I guess there was at least one company that still provided it back then. I'm not sure about nowadays, though. Maybe someone on the Boards knows more about this.

Sometimes those seltzer bottles had a lot of pressure in them. I'll always remember dinner at my aunt's place in Brooklyn one year - she also had the seltzer bottles delivered. I attempted to fill my glass with seltzer, and it shot out with such force that it ricocheted back out of my glass like Old Faithful and sprayed my grandmother in the face (she was sitting next to me). Everyone laughed hysterically - except my grandmother. She was a rather stern character, but it really was like a scene out of a Three Stooges film!

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

I'm coming Geoffy. Maybe Don T will drive across the state of Florida to meet us.

The Rascal House in Sunny Isles is still open, so let's go.

My Florida memories of Wolfie's were the ones in Miami Beach on Collins Ave., particularly Wolfie's 21. My late uncle was very well-known there and was a regular with his friends. I used to eat there with my parents when I was very young, and later when I would visit relatives. Miss that place - I understand it closed up only a couple of years ago.

I didn't know there was a Wolfie's in New Jersey - does it have a connection to the ones in Florida?

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: Signor Vitelli] #437744
09/21/07 02:01 AM
09/21/07 02:01 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
 Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli
I didn't know there was a Wolfie's in New Jersey - does it have a connection to the ones in Florida?

I kinda dought the current Toms River Wolfies has any connection to anything. Many years ago, they were at a different location, and the laughing stock of (at least) the teenagers my age... but they seemed to reverse it all in their new location... and damn, a mighty fine sandwich doesn't hurt! \:D

Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: Signor Vitelli] #437750
09/21/07 02:44 AM
09/21/07 02:44 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
 Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli
My grandmother lived in Coney Island until she entered a nursing home around 1993. She always had the old-style seltzer bottles delivered, so I guess there was at least one company that still provided it back then. I'm not sure about nowadays, though. Maybe someone on the Boards knows more about this.

I doubt there are more than a handful of guys still making seltzer deliveries in the City (if even that many).

My family moved to Sheepshead Bay in 1955; there was a regular seltzer guy who handled our co-op. There were 240 apartments there and almost everyone had seltzer delivered once a week (including my family)... he'd also deliver Fox's UBet syrup (the large bottles) and those heavy seltzer bottles (with the spritzer on top) made making an egg cream absolute joy. He delivered there until around 1970 or so, but by that time most of the kids had grown and I guess the parents didn't want the seltzer delivered anymore.

Still, it used to be funny to walk down the hallways (in the 50's) and see 5 or 6 seltzer bottles in front of everyone's door.

Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: SC] #437834
09/21/07 07:51 AM
09/21/07 07:51 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Pastrami is really corned beef thats been spiced up...

Exactly right SC. If I'm not mistaken, a brisket of beef is cured and spiced a certain way to become a corned beef, and then is cured and spiced up some more to become a pastrami.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: Don Cardi] #437837
09/21/07 08:07 AM
09/21/07 08:07 AM
California

California
They have pastrami here in CA of course, but not every place serves it and it's not as easily found as back East. We have a local chain here called "Farmer Boy" which is an eat-in/take-out place and close to my work. I must admit their pastrami is very good. \:\)

However, I've mentioned before, that the best pastrami I've had was while in NYC. I believe it was a "pound" of pastrami \:o and it was absolutely fabulous. If I'm not mistaken, I got it from the Carnegie Deli. Like Geoff said it was about $13 or so, but well worth it. \:\)

TIS

Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #437839
09/21/07 08:13 AM
09/21/07 08:13 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
When I was a kid my father used to take me to a great Jewish Deli that was on Avenue U and East 12th or 13th street.

They made the best Hungarian Goulash that I ever had.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: Don Cardi] #437849
09/21/07 08:49 AM
09/21/07 08:49 AM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
When I was a kid my father used to take me to a great Jewish Deli that was on Avenue U and East 12th or 13th street.

I'm ashamed to admit that I don't remember that place. I guess because I had Adelman's Deli only half a block away, I wasn't really aware of many other places.

Can you remember the name?

This is going to be bugging me all day now!

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #437852
09/21/07 08:53 AM
09/21/07 08:53 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
However, I've mentioned before, that the best pastrami I've had was while in NYC. I believe it was a "pound" of pastrami and it was absolutely fabulous. If I'm not mistaken, I got it from the Carnegie Deli. Like Geoff said it was about $13 or so, but well worth it.

The Carnegie Deli isn't as good as it used to be but I'd still recommend it to a tourist wanting to experience a New York style deli (the "ambience", the loud talking going on, the "rushing around" by waiters, etc.).

I used to work across the street from it and would get my lunch from them about once a week.... I'd order two extra slices of bread (they'd charge 50¢) and then divide the sandwich into two when I got back to the office.... so, two people could eat a treat for about $5 each then. I LOVED their pastrami and corned beef but you can get better now from other delis.

I took Beth E. there some years ago (it was her first time going) and she was amazed at the size of the sandwiches.... when they were brought to the table she exclaimed, "Its so big" .... I was about to say, "Thank you", but then realized she was talking about the sandwich.

Many years ago, when I was driving the cab, I got a job one late night requesting I pick up some food from there and deliver it to a printer (where law firm employees were working on an all-night rush job involving some prospectus). As I was waiting for the food a young guy ordered one of their truly SPECIAL sandwiches. I think the thing weighed about 4 pounds and had three different kinds of meat and other stuff on it. The counter guy was wrapping it up and announced that it cost $28 (and this was 1987 dollars). The guy freaked out and started yelling he didn't know it was that expensive and he couldn't pay for it. The counter guy started yelling back at him telling him all about the sandwich and WHY it cost so much. The customer freaked again and ran out of the place (without the sandwich)... the counterman started running after him, cursing him out at the same time.

Only in New York can you be entertained at 3 a.m. by what should be a normal, everyday thing.

Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: Signor Vitelli] #437853
09/21/07 08:54 AM
09/21/07 08:54 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Signor, I really don't remember the name. It was right on the corner.

Edit : I think is was something Zion or Zion something.

Last edited by Don Cardi; 09/21/07 08:59 AM.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: Don Cardi] #437856
09/21/07 09:05 AM
09/21/07 09:05 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Signor, I really don't remember the name. It was right on the corner.

Not surprising. EVERY subway stop along the Brighton line (Avenue M, U, the Highway, Sheepshead Bay Rd, etc.) had a few good delis near the subway. And most of them had awesome food!

Sadly, they're almost all gone now.

Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: SC] #437875
09/21/07 09:55 AM
09/21/07 09:55 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
There's a pretty good deli here on Staten Island called Golden's Deli.

The original owner bought an actual subway train car and had it placed in the middle of the deli! He refurbished the inside of it so that customers can actually sit inside the train and have lunch or dinner. The layout of the original train seating is still there only with tables placed in front of those seats. The food is pretty good and the french fries may be the closest thing to coney island Nathan's fries.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: Don Cardi] #437877
09/21/07 09:56 AM
09/21/07 09:56 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
The subway finally made it to Staten Island!

Congratulations, pretty soon you'll have hot water and cable television. \:p

Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: pizzaboy] #437879
09/21/07 09:58 AM
09/21/07 09:58 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
This from somebody who's still living in Da Bronx. ;\)

Don Cardi cool

Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: Don Cardi] #437882
09/21/07 10:00 AM
09/21/07 10:00 AM
California

California
I swear you guys have more delis than carter has pills. \:D Sure, we have delis, but believe me, no where near as many as you guys do. \:o They're a dime a dozen there. Here, you need to search them out. You'd probably be lost visiting here and not seeing a deli of some kind at every intersection.
;\)

TIS

Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: Don Cardi] #437885
09/21/07 10:02 AM
09/21/07 10:02 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

Six and six, little brother. Okay, more like nine and three, if that . Whaddaya want from me, Florida's too fucking hot in the summer or I'd be there nine and three the other way.

Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #437886
09/21/07 10:03 AM
09/21/07 10:03 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Here TIS, I found one for you in Sacramento :

BOB'S KOSHER DELI

Don Cardi cool

Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: pizzaboy] #437887
09/21/07 10:05 AM
09/21/07 10:05 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Florida's too fucking hot in the summer or I'd be there nine and three the other way.

Wouldn't matter, you can take the guy out of the Bronx, but you can't take the Bronx out of the guy. ;\)

Don Cardi cool

Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: Don Cardi] #437892
09/21/07 10:12 AM
California

California
Thanks DC, but it's quite a drive to the State Capital just to get to a deli.

Just for the heck of it, I did a yellow page Yahoo search for Delis in my city: Came up with one called "Christi's Deli" :/and...about 25 Dominos Pizza. What the heck? Domino's is a Deli now?

Then I tried Jewish Deli and got "0" in my city, however there were a couple in the outer boundaries of my city. See, you guys got it made there. \:\)

I'm guessing L.A. probably has a larger number of delis though.

TIS

Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: Don Cardi] #437893
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Aw, you always know just what to say. \:\)

Seriously, I guess it's true. I mean, you know I live in Country Club, near the water. You honestly would never know you were in the Bronx (the closest subway is the Pelham Bay Station #'s 4,5,6--over 3 miles from here) but I get in the car on a Saturday or Sunday morning and I'm in Manhattan in literally 15 minutes OR I'm just 20 minutes from the heart of Westchester County. It's really convenient for me.

Re: Jewish Deli Items [Re: pizzaboy] #437899
09/21/07 10:18 AM
09/21/07 10:18 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
The Second Avenue Deli was good, but it has closed. I hear, however they may re open at a new location.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull