GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (JCrusher), 574 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,123
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,384
Posts1,059,725
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Quitting Smoking #427364
08/20/07 08:50 AM
08/20/07 08:50 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline OP
The Italian Stallionette  Offline OP

California
I know many have tried, some suceed and some don't.

Well, I took the plunge. It's only been two months but hopefully the worse is over. I haven't even told my kids and they haven't even noticed that mom hasn't stepped outside for a smoke, or so it seems. I have only mentioned it to my boss only after going to lunch with her when she assumed I'd be in the office after a quick smoke. Anyway, I am not saying anything because "if" I had a cigaret and mess up, I'd feel like an idiot. So I figure I'll be an idiot here on the BB should I go "off the wagon."

Why now? Two reasons really. I wasn't feeling very healthy. I didn't like not being able to catch my breath. But, the main reason for me was this. I have a cousin (the daughter of my great aunt who recently died from a fall)who was/is a very heavy smoker. Well, it started out a couple years ago where she had to be on oxygen for several hours a day; now it's 24/7 and she has been diagnosed with lung cancer and given a year to live. \:\(
What's worse, my sister tells me that many people have the attitude that she brought it on herself and imply that she deserves it. Granted, we take the risk, but man, to say someone deserves it is pretty low.

I have heard many stories like this. Why now, I don't know. This scared me into quitting and I do want to stay with it. This is the most serious attempt I've ever made to quit. I have I think an unusual system I used, which I'll go into later if anyone is interested. All I can say is it worked for me (hopefully)

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #427365
08/20/07 08:53 AM
08/20/07 08:53 AM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

A big, big, big congrats and well wishes to you TIS.

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #427366
08/20/07 08:57 AM
08/20/07 08:57 AM
Sheffield UK
chopper Offline
Gaetano Lucchese
chopper  Offline
Gaetano Lucchese

Sheffield UK
Congratulations TIS i am truly pleased for you i have smoked since i was 12 years old (i know very bad but i liked a girl that was older than me and she smoked so you can see where im going with this) and i am nearly 23 i have tried so many times to stop and it goes ok until i go to the pub and as soon as i have one pint then i automatically buy a pack of cigs and smoke to my hearts content i am just facing the fact now that i cant ever see myself stopping plus i do really enjoy smoking when i have a pint,anyway well done and keep up the good work! and yes i would like to know what system you use

If i come across the table and take your f*****g eyes out ,will you remember

Aniello Dellacroce

TFI Lucky Star
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uw-Uw0DUAGo

Happy Hardcore DJ Hixxy
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pv7H4YkFKs
Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: chopper] #427368
08/20/07 09:02 AM
08/20/07 09:02 AM
California

California
A HUGE test for me (as any smoker can tell you) was last month when I went to Vegas. Can you even imagine gambling, drinking (although I admit, I really didn't drink that much) without a cig????? \:o I can't believe I did it.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #427369
08/20/07 09:06 AM
08/20/07 09:06 AM
Sheffield UK
chopper Offline
Gaetano Lucchese
chopper  Offline
Gaetano Lucchese

Sheffield UK
Wow gambling an drinking at the same time i would a have lit a cig as soon as i got there ! impresive for you though

If i come across the table and take your f*****g eyes out ,will you remember

Aniello Dellacroce

TFI Lucky Star
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uw-Uw0DUAGo

Happy Hardcore DJ Hixxy
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pv7H4YkFKs
Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: chopper] #427376
08/20/07 09:45 AM
08/20/07 09:45 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Good for you, TIS. I hope you can do it and it sounds like Vegas was a test you passed with flying colors.

My mom was forced to stop 2 years ago when she was diagnosed with cancer (not lung). It has greatly improved her health, breathing, and well-being. Plus it's nice to take our kids to grandma's house and not have it stink like an ashtray.

Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: goombah] #427381
08/20/07 10:02 AM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
A hearty congratulations to you, TIS. I'm so very proud of you. It's a big thing for a smoker to quit, as for many smokers, it's an almost impossible feat. You should be very proud of yourself being smoke-free for 2 months!

Smoking seems to be an epidemic in my family. Nearly everyone in my family smokes (or used to smoke.) My grandmother died at the young age of 59 from lung cancer that metastasized to her brain, and it was from smoking. My grandfather quit the year I was born. My stepmom quit over a year ago.

My dad, unfortunately...doesn't seem to have the willpower, and he is an absolute slave to his addiction. He goes through 2 cartons a week. That's 400 cigarettes in 7 days. He smokes more out of habit and boredom than actual pleasure, now. It's a sad thing to see, because he's nearing that fateful age of my grandmother's death. \:\(

Again, TIS, congratulations. And hopefully you can be an inspiration to anyone else out there who wants to quit, and just doesn't know how! \:\)

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: goombah] #427382
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Well done TIS
Fortuneately gambling and drinking are my only vices

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #427397
08/20/07 10:18 AM
08/20/07 10:18 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I know many have tried, some suceed and some don't. Well, I took the plunge.
TIS

Now you've inspired me!

Tell you what I'm going to do TIS. I'm going to join you. Let's stay in support of each other and set New Years Day 2008 as our goal date to stay smoke free! (and of course continue to from then on.)

But we'll make it interesting. Starting with and counting tomorrow there are 133 days left in the year. If we both preservere until New Years Day, than we each make a donation to a charity of our choice in the amount of $133.

If one of us stays the course and the other one doesn't then the one who doesn't has to make a $266 donation to the charity picked by the one who preservered.

So we'll make tomorrow the official starting date.

Waddya say me lady?

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: Don Cardi] #427439
08/20/07 11:57 AM
08/20/07 11:57 AM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
I've tried...ummm who knows,but i d o want to know TIS,is what is your method to quitting?

Let me know.

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: Don Cardi] #427453
08/20/07 12:13 PM
08/20/07 12:13 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

That's great, TIS! I'd love to hear your method.

I almost did it last weekend when I was with family in Annapolis. I don't smoke in front of them (in fact, they think I'm still quit from the last time years ago I think \:\/ ) but I was chewing Nicorette like a horse. lol At the 36-hour point, though, once I got home, the biggest problem set in: normal routine. \:\/ I then said I'd have one as a "reward", but we know how that goes...

Just take it one day at a time, and be VERY careful not to have "just one" -- cuz that "just one" didn't work for me, even the time I had gone a few months... \:\/ Think of the benefits: not just health reasons, but also the fact that you can taste food better, you save a ton of money, your house and clothes don't stink, you're not standing out in the rain or snow like a jackass, etc... ;\)

DC - TIS has a 2-month head start on you, don't forget -- you'd have to pay more ;\)

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: J Geoff] #427474
08/20/07 01:23 PM
08/20/07 01:23 PM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
Congrats TIS.. I'd like to hear your method as well.

President of the long_lost_corleone Fan Club
Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: J Geoff] #427475
08/20/07 01:27 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
congrats TIS \:\)

Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: J Geoff] #427476
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Good for you TIS!!!

I had my doctor prescribe me something to help me stop... he gave me a prescription for Chantix (some people swear by it). I developed severe headaches after taking it for a few days ("headaches" are listed as one its possible side-effects) so I told my doctor who had me discontinue it.

I'd like to stop but I dunno if I can do it right now (on my own).

Anyway, good luck to ya, TIS.

Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: J Geoff] #427484
08/20/07 01:53 PM
08/20/07 01:53 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: J Geoff

DC - TIS has a 2-month head start on you, don't forget -- you'd have to pay more ;\)

That's fine with me. I'll gladly give an extra two months ($60 )from my end. I just really want to stop. And I figure that TIS and I would encourage each other, and anyone else who wants to quit from here (cough**ahem**Geoff*ahem**SC**Cough) for that matter.

Why don't we try to get as many people that smoke on here to get in this thing that I've proposed? It's will be good for all of us health wise, financially, and the donations that we make would serve a good cause.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: Don Cardi] #427485
08/20/07 01:57 PM
08/20/07 01:57 PM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
I would,but i know myself and i have a pathetic amount of will power.
I want to quit,but the flesh is weak.

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: whisper] #427489
08/20/07 02:01 PM
08/20/07 02:01 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: whisper the don from down under

Thinking like that, you're already defeated. ;\)

Don Cardi cool

Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: Don Cardi] #427492
08/20/07 02:02 PM
08/20/07 02:02 PM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
 Originally Posted By: whisper the don from down under

Thinking like that, you're already defeated. ;\)

True.
I really would love to do it,but do we have to start tomorrow? ;\)

Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: whisper] #427494
08/20/07 02:04 PM
08/20/07 02:04 PM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
I have a friend who was the worst chain smoker in the world; anyways, he was on this pill for about two-months, and now he doesn't smoke. It's the most bizarre concept I've heard of in a while; a prescription medicine that allows you to stop smoking. What's even crazier to me is that it actually worked.

There was actually a time, about halfway through the treatment, in which he did decide to just go for a cigarette, but the minute he started smoking it, he told me that it "isn't the same" and then he said he didn't really want it, so he put it out after one or two drags.

Well, anyway, that's my story. Good for you, TIS. \:\)

Last edited by long_lost_corleone; 08/20/07 02:04 PM.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: long_lost_corleone] #427512
08/20/07 03:04 PM
08/20/07 03:04 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
I was scanning through really old threads and found this one. Stop Smoking Support Thread

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: Don Cardi] #427656
08/20/07 08:13 PM
08/20/07 08:13 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
TIS

Now you've inspired me!

Tell you what I'm going to do TIS. I'm going to join you. Let's stay in support of each other and set New Years Day 2008 as our goal date to stay smoke free! (and of course continue to from then on.)

But we'll make it interesting. Starting with and counting tomorrow there are 133 days left in the year. If we both preservere until New Years Day, than we each make a donation to a charity of our choice in the amount of $133.

If one of us stays the course and the other one doesn't then the one who doesn't has to make a $266 donation to the charity picked by the one who preservered.

Waddya say me lady?

C'mon TIS, give me a yes or no answer soon please! I had my last cigarette earlier this afternoon and right now am going out of my mind for one!

I need group supprt here!

Don Cardi cool

Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: Blibbleblabble] #427660
08/20/07 08:20 PM
08/20/07 08:20 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
 Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
I was scanning through really old threads and found this one. Stop Smoking Support Thread

Thanks for reminding me that I failed, Blib! \:p lol

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: Don Cardi] #427669
08/20/07 08:44 PM
08/20/07 08:44 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

I need group supprt here!

Group hug time! {{{{{{{{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #427672
08/20/07 09:05 PM
08/20/07 09:05 PM
California

California
Thanks everyone for your encouragement and replies. I smoke (smoked) about a pack a day. I get paid once a month and would buy three cartons (30 packs) of cigs for the month. The last cartons I purchased was May 30th. It was into June when I seemed to have a hard time ctaching my breath that I seriously considered quitting. Of course in CA this is a very smoggy time of year and that I'm sure was part of it. \:\/ So roughly 2nd week or so in June is when I started to try.

Keep in mind that everyone is different, some people smoke way more and some way less and frame of mind and "readiness" play a huge part in a decision like this. I by no means will say I've quit and from what I hear it "can" be a lifelong craving. I'm not at an "I did it" place at all.

I started first, by cutting down the number of smokes in a day. Instead of smoking 4 cigs on my way to work (I have an hour drive), I made it 2 and same on the way back with 2 during lunch and 4 to 5 in the evening. You think I was goiing nuts on the drives? I had a certain landmark I'd pass that more or less gave me permission to light that first or second cigaret. I immediately noticed how difficult it would be. Yet, that cutting it in half right there, even if it sounds like more.

After about a week I would light up a cigaret and not inhale it. I know I know. Anyone who smokes knows it's the inhaling that is the refreshing part. That was the hardest part. It simply wasn't satisfying. For a couple days, I'd take one or two drags from the cigaret but that's it. Then I'd put it out. I guess I did that for about a week or maybe less. Finally I simply lit a cigaret and didn't smoke it. I know, again sounds weird. I'd let it burn down yet and it's tempting. Don't know if it's the surrounding smoke or what that I need as a crutch or not. In Vegas, I did that one time. I had a margarita in my hand was by myself at the time and I walked down the street lit a smoke and simply let it burn out. Never did take a drag.

It's been about two months now and it's probably been about 1 week since I let a cigaret burn out. However, on May 30th I purchased 3 cartons of Salem lites and I have a carton and a half (actually seven packs in the second carton) left. I know I'm making progess.

Sorry for being so lengthy. I'll call it good therapy just to write about it.

Thanks

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: Don Cardi] #427675
08/20/07 09:25 PM
08/20/07 09:25 PM
California

California
TIS

Now you've inspired me!

Waddya say me lady?

DC,

I'll give it a shot. It really isn't fair though that I've got a 2 month jump on you. How about if I go through March. Would that even things out?

Another thing, what if (and I mean "if") one of us falls off and has one smoke or even two or if I say DC I couldn't resist and had two hits of a cigaret. How do we handle something like that. Is it an automatic loss? I won't complain mind you, but just checking the ground rules. You know how serious quitting is....and add a little cash to the equation and whoa!!!!

Good luck DC!!!

Giving to a charity is a good idea. I know logically the heart association and or cancer are great causes. "I always took a special interest in a cure for alzheimers. I think that's what I'd choose. But hey, got a long long way to go!!!!

Does holding an unlit cig in my hand count??? "The heat is on!"

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #427678
08/20/07 09:32 PM
08/20/07 09:32 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
We have to trust each other and be on the honor system. NO SLIP UPS! One drag of a lit cigarette and that's it! We fess up.

An unlit cig does not count against you.

We also have to be on the honor system that if either of us falls off the wagon, we'll send the money to the charity of the winner's choice. Or when we both make it to the target date, we'll trust each other to send the money to the respective charities of our own choice.

No need for you to go until March. New Years Day is fine for both of us.......

..... that's if we make it!

And I again applaud you for doing it for two months now. Way to go!

NOW LET'S DO IT!

Don Cardi cool

Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: Don Cardi] #427681
08/20/07 09:35 PM
08/20/07 09:35 PM
California

California
DC

It's a deal. Don't worry, I let you know if I mess up. If I fall off the wagon, I'll kick my own ass on the BB for all to see. I'd be pissed!!!

Are you going cold turkey then???? No gradual cutdown?? \:o

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #427687
08/20/07 09:45 PM
08/20/07 09:45 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
COLD TURKEY!

I had my last cigarette earlier this afternoon and do not have anymore left.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Don Cardi cool

Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: Don Cardi] #427688
08/20/07 09:47 PM
08/20/07 09:47 PM
California

California
Good luck DC! You CAN do it!!!! \:\)

TIS

Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: Don Cardi] #427694
08/20/07 10:16 PM
08/20/07 10:16 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

COLD TURKEY!

I had my last cigarette earlier this afternoon and do not have anymore left.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

I'll give you a tongue lashing just for quitting. Is it a deal?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull