GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (2 invisible), 66 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,132
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,387
Posts1,059,777
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Overlooked films #419509
07/27/07 11:46 AM
07/27/07 11:46 AM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline OP
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline OP

Gateshead, UK
Forgotten over time, released at the wrong time, neglected by DVD distributors, or obscure little niche films you discovered by chance. For whatever reason, these are the films you hold close to your chest because you were the first one to discover them in your circle of friends... in fact, you hold them with a sort of jealous admiration - you'd hate for other people to share their odd magnificence.

It's all relative, of course; you might find a circle of friends who love these films, but more often than not, you take pleasure in nobody else having seen them. Fish them out in your collection, and post about them here.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Overlooked films [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #419512
07/27/07 12:04 PM
07/27/07 12:04 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
(I just made a list of ten):

Medium Cool (1969)
dir. Haskell Wexler - Wexler made a name for himself through innovative cinematography, but here he directs a docu-drama which captures the social and political chaos of late sixties America.

Wesele / The Wedding (2004)
dir. Wojciech Smarzowski - a wittily black Polish comedy which piles on upheaval after upheaval in an almost surrealist fashion; it is the kind of film Godard may have once made, in which the protagonist, a charming and despisable millionaire, solves all his problems with money, of which he has an endless supply.

Kongekabale / King's Game (2004)
dir. Nikolaj Arcel - a moody political thriller in the vein of All the President's Men which I saw on the big screen back in 2005 after seeing three average films back-to-back-to-back before it.

Crossfire (1947)
dir. Edward Dmytryk - visually gorgeous, excellently acted film on racial tensions; very daring masterpiece.

Build My Gallows High / Out of the Past (1947)
dir. Jacques Tourneur - one of the fastest, wittiest and cleverly structured noir films I've seen. I suspect older members have seen it - and love it.

The Window (1949)
dir. Ted Tetzlaff - gripping, tense B-movie thriller which must be praised for visual superiority and brevity of storytelling.

The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964)
dir. Anthony Mann - Mann's known more for his Westerns, and for some reason, this epic never gained the cultural or historical momentum of others made in the fifties and sixties. See it, for its outstanding cinematography, production values and a story from which Gladiator derives much.

Westworld (1973)
dir. Michael Crichton - Everyone knows Yul Brynner from The King and I and perhaps The Magnificent Seven, but as a kid who saw neither of those films (and still hasn't), Brynner was always the face of "Westworld", the holiday resort which takes people back to the Wild West, with murderous malfunctions to boot. It's a great film rich in allegory.

The Outfit (1974)
dir. John Flynn - A wonderful, tough-talking machismo thriller with Robert "Tom Hagen" Duvall, who made a career of stealing films from brief scenes and bit parts - here he carries the film alone.

Paradise Alley (1978)
dir. Sylvester Stallone - Two years following Rocky comes Stallone's directorial debut (a year prior to the first Rocky sequel), an odd little tale of Little Italy's Hell's Kitchen, brotherly friendship and wrestling. One of the most memorable, rain-drenched climaxes I can think of.

^^ If any of these take your fancy, definitely check them out.

Last edited by Capo de La Cosa Nostra; 07/27/07 12:08 PM.

Re: Overlooked films [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #419513
07/27/07 12:06 PM
07/27/07 12:06 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Good idea for a thread, Mick.

I have two that immediately come to mind:

1. "The Devil and Daniel Webster" - made in 1941 this wonderful fantasy tells of a farmer who is having a tough time and makes a deal with the devil (to do better). He does do better and when it comes time to pay the devil he wants "out". He's defended (in a fantasy court trial) by Daniel Webster, a wondeful orator of the day, excellently portrayed by Edward Arnold. The movie has an awesome cast of character actors (including Walter Huston and H.B. Warner) and the camera work adds wonderfully to the surreal feeling of the film. Its only available on (hard-to-find) VHS; one of my "prized possessions".

2. "The Next Voice You Hear" - stars James Whitmore (the old librarian in "Shawshank Redemption") and Nancy Davis (later better known as Nancy Reagan, wife of Ronald Reagan) in this 1950 "fantasy". It tells of an average American family and how they respond to the spectacle of God speaking to them (and EVERYONE else in the world) on the radio. Its a great "what if" film and addresses some interesting questions about our faith. Another "only VHS" release, and its hard to come by, but its worth the hunt.

Re: Overlooked films [Re: SC] #419517
07/27/07 12:25 PM
07/27/07 12:25 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
There's an absolute boatload of forgotten masterpieces made in the backlot of the Hollywood studios - they made films left, right and centre (a lot of them were bad, too), essentially assembly-line productions. I get a headache just thinking about how many brilliant films have been lost into obscurity.

Last edited by Capo de La Cosa Nostra; 07/27/07 12:26 PM.

Re: Overlooked films [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #419522
07/27/07 01:04 PM
07/27/07 01:04 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I love WESTWORLD and PARADISE ALLEY!

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Overlooked films [Re: pizzaboy] #419525
07/27/07 01:14 PM
07/27/07 01:14 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Capo, you love WESTWORLD? Thats awesome.

Then again, that was back when Michael Crichton was a decent director, and not the author who wrote the same book over and over again.

Another good Crichton cinema ride, THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY.

Re: Overlooked films [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #419567
07/27/07 04:18 PM
07/27/07 04:18 PM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline
Underboss
Tony Love  Offline
Underboss
Little Chicago

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: Overlooked films [Re: Tony Love] #419581
07/27/07 05:10 PM
07/27/07 05:10 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Just a few:
Seconds (dir. John Frankenheimer). Middle aged businessman gets second chance at life from a mysterious outfit that makes him a "reborn"; discovers it's not what it was supposed to be. Absolutely fascinating from start to finish. Great performances from John Randolph, Wesley Addy, Jeff Corey. Salome Jens and (yes) Rock Hudson.
True Confessions (dir. Ulu Grosbard). Probably the least well-known great film of recent years. Robert Duvall's greatest performance (saying a lot for him), but everyone else in the film (starting with DeNiro and [yes, Mick] Charles Durning) are just as fine. The novel, by John Gregory Dunne, is one of my top ten.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Overlooked films [Re: Turnbull] #419603
07/27/07 08:37 PM
07/27/07 08:37 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Paradise Alley was definitely overlooked and Fall of the Roman Empire is an historical epic for sure.

But what about The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh?

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Overlooked films [Re: olivant] #419646
07/28/07 02:46 AM
07/28/07 02:46 AM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
You all might laugh when I say this movie, but it's one that nobody I know has ever seen and I absolutely love it. It's full of odd offbeat humor that most people don't get or think is funny. On IMDB it has a horrible rating of 5.3, but then again it only has 5,142 votes so I guess that proves this movie is overlooked.

The movie is Drowning Mona. I'm actually very surprised to see the low rating. I think it's because of the fact that most people don't understand that sort of humor, the kind of dark strange humor that Danny Devito is usually apart of. The writing is very well done. Everything from the little character quirks, situations, etc... and the actors playing the parts are great! When I watch it with my friends and family who ask "What is this movie??" they almost always get a good laugh out of it.

I hope there is someone else on here who shares my love for this movie.

Great topic Capo.

Last edited by Blibbleblabble; 07/28/07 02:47 AM.

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Overlooked films [Re: Blibbleblabble] #419668
07/28/07 05:12 AM
07/28/07 05:12 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Funny this topic came up today because I completely stumbled upon THE LORDS OF FLATBUSH in the $5 dvd bin at K-Mart yesterday. I love that movie.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Overlooked films [Re: pizzaboy] #419672
07/28/07 05:29 AM
07/28/07 05:29 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
 Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Funny this topic came up today because I completely stumbled upon THE LORDS OF FLATBUSH in the $5 dvd bin at K-Mart yesterday. I love that movie.

The guy who played Mike Mambo (the guy from Avenue J who was playing pool) was my brother's best friend. I hadda laugh when I saw him in the movie because he was really like that in real life.

I've always liked the movie. Stallone was pretty good in it (as was Henry Winkler) but I thought Perry King stole the movie. I'm surprised he didn't make a bigger name for himself.

There were quite a few big names who came out of that movie.

Re: Overlooked films [Re: SC] #419675
07/28/07 07:00 AM
07/28/07 07:00 AM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
The Vitelli Archives are pretty much overflowing with films, many of which might be considered "overlooked". Some are just obscure ones that I happen to have a soft spot for, some were shown quite often on TV years ago, but have seldom been seen recently.

Here are a few off the top of my pointed little head:

The Devil and Daniel Webster (1941) Here, I'll agree with SC's earlier post. This film turns up on TCM occasionally, and much of the missing footage (censored for re-release) has been restored. A true gem.

The Mystery of Edwin Drood (1935) Claude Rains stars in this one, and it hasn't been shown on television in a good twenty years (that I'm aware of). I taped it years ago.

The Power and the Glory (1933) Stars Spencer Tracy and silent-film actress Colleen Moore. Arguably, in some ways, an inspiration for Citizen Kane, it has a pre-Code frankness and excellent performances. The "courtship" scene is quite memorable.

Beast of Morocco (1965) A British film who's original title (The Hand of Night) was a better one. Not a great film - acting was a little uneven and it could've used a bigger budget - but there was just something about the story that I found interesting. (Or, maybe I'm one of the few people left who remembers Diane Clare.) Hasn't been shown in many years.

Probably more films will come to mind when I'm not quite so tired. As Jimmy Durante used to say, "I got a million of 'em!"

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Overlooked films [Re: Turnbull] #419795
07/28/07 08:33 PM
07/28/07 08:33 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
 Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Just a few:
Seconds
True Confessions
I considered these, but figured you'd post them. Seconds has one of the most gripping openings ever, I think. The ending is a knockout too. True Confessions (which Plaw would have surely praised in this thread, too) is a quiet, subtle, excellently-acted film.

I'd add three more, all from the same year, for now (more to come as I think of them)...

It (1927)
dir. Clarence Badger - amazingly sophisticated film in both film language and the way in which its in-film romance unfolds. Gains much from the star of its day, Clara Bow (what a knockout she is, too), who embodies the girl who has "it", an elusive something which attracts men.

Shooting Stars (1927)
dir. Anthony Asquith / A.V. Bramble - Charles Barr, a renowned authority on British silent film, called this the "mature silent cinema that speaks for itself". And it does, too. Innovate film grammar, deep self-reflexivity, and complex moral solution. A must-see, for definite.

The Unknown (1927)
dir. Tod Browning - Browning is probably noted most for Freaks (1932), but here he and Lon Chaney create an absolute masterpiece which I rarely (if ever) see in top 100 lists of American films. It's impeccable, in acting, lighting, and the dark, perverse narrative and the Freudian imagery. Unforgettable, once seen.

Last edited by Capo de La Cosa Nostra; 07/28/07 08:36 PM.

Re: Overlooked films [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #421678
08/03/07 03:42 PM
08/03/07 03:42 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Mute Witness (1994)
dir. Anthony Waller - a mute make-up artist gets locked in the studio and becomes witness to a snuff film shoot, and thus is pursued through the building by the killers; a suspenseful film with international (British, German and Russian) funding that somehow nobody else seems to have seen. Very good, though, from what I can remember from the one, late-night, by-chance TV screening I caught.

Re: Overlooked films [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #421693
08/03/07 03:57 PM
08/03/07 03:57 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Westworld is most definitely, in my opinion, a very underated movie. It's concept was way ahead of it's time. It was a very well written and well acted movie. Action packed, witty at times, and suspenseful. The writer has a way of making the viewer relax with the way the movie starts out and then it slowly begins to instill a suspensful feeling as it progresses.

Paradise Alley is also a very underated movie. While it's in no way a classic in the sense that it was suberbly made in all aspects, it did have a very good storyline. The Carboni brothers draw you into each of their worlds and you begin to relate to what each of them are feeling in their own way. Armand Assante was excellent in his role as Lenny. It succeeds in that it also gives you the feel of what the era of the depression was really like for some.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Overlooked films [Re: Don Cardi] #421721
08/03/07 06:13 PM
08/03/07 06:13 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
The original Resurrection with Ellen Burstyn and Sam Shephard. That was a poignant movie that ended up covering several topics.

Re: Overlooked films [Re: pizzaboy] #421723
08/03/07 06:28 PM
08/03/07 06:28 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Many authentic, gemlike touches in that film, PB. Most authentic touch was the use of creative threats ("You're gonna be just a memory, Chico!") instead of violence--hallmark of '50's "hard guys." The two girls were the real stars, though everyone else was good. But why did they use that dumb musical score when real doo-wop would have carried the day?
SC: I think Perry King starred in "The Wanderers," another little gem, and he was very good there, too.

Re: Overlooked films [Re: Turnbull] #421729
08/03/07 07:21 PM
08/03/07 07:21 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
[quote=pizzaboy]

SC: I think Perry King starred in "The Wanderers," another little gem, and he was very good there, too.

I think that you may be mixing him up with Ken Wahl, who I believe starred in The Wanderers. Which by the way is another film that has been overlooked over the years.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Overlooked films [Re: Don Cardi] #421730
08/03/07 07:27 PM
08/03/07 07:27 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
You're right about that being underrated, too. The Wanderers was released unfavourably in the same year as The Warriors, but I think it's just as good.

Re: Overlooked films [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #421734
08/03/07 07:41 PM
08/03/07 07:41 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
 Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
You're right about that being underrated, too. The Wanderers was released unfavourably in the same year as The Warriors, but I think it's just as good.

I think its better.

The soundtrack was absolutely wonderful!

Re: Overlooked films [Re: SC] #421749
08/03/07 09:01 PM
08/03/07 09:01 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
What ever happened to Perry King? I thought he had alot of potential, but he seemed to fall to B or C movie status.

Last edited by olivant; 08/03/07 09:01 PM.

Re: Overlooked films [Re: olivant] #421883
08/04/07 05:58 PM
08/04/07 05:58 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Love is the Devil - Study for a Portrait of Francis Bacon (1998)
dir. John Maybury - biopic of my favourite painter, Francis Bacon, starring Derek Jacobi and Daniel Craig as thief-cum-lover George Dyer - in the absence of Bacon's paintings, Maybury constructs a visual texture akin to his work, claustrophobic and haunting.

Re: Overlooked films [Re: SC] #421909
08/04/07 09:01 PM
08/04/07 09:01 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: SC
 Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

I think its better.

The soundtrack was absolutely wonderful!

Dolph Sweet's shirt was incredible too!

The Galasso Brothers!

"Leave da kid alone!"

I believe that Danny Aiello's son played one of the Fordham Baldies.

Classic movie.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Overlooked films [Re: olivant] #421912
08/04/07 09:03 PM
08/04/07 09:03 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: olivant
What ever happened to Perry King? I thought he had alot of potential, but he seemed to fall to B or C movie status.

I think that his claim to fame was the television series "Riptide."

Don Cardi cool

Re: Overlooked films [Re: Don Cardi] #421939
08/04/07 11:21 PM
08/04/07 11:21 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

Dolph Sweet's shirt was incredible too!

The Galasso Brothers!

"Leave da kid alone!"

I believe that Danny Aiello's son played one of the Fordham Baldies.

Classic movie.

I rewatched it yesterday... it REALLY is a wonderful movie.

It touches on the changing times (very appropriate that Dylan is dinging "The Times They Are a Changin'" near the end) of the 60's. The Ducky Boys represent the chaos and anarchy seen in the end of the decade; the coming together of the neighborhood gangs to fight them (the Ducky Boys) represented the political alliances we saw born then to fight a common enemy; the scene in which Joey's father (accidentally) knocks Joey out in the fight scene represented the "passion" that some reached in the decade that pitted father against son. Ken Wahl's last scene in which he follows Karen Allen to the coffehouse (in which Dylan was singing) and then walked back to his party was telling as he realized his "fate" and he accepted his responsibilities.

A wonderful movie!!

Re: Overlooked films [Re: Don Cardi] #421951
08/04/07 11:42 PM
08/04/07 11:42 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
[quote=pizzaboy]

I think that you may be mixing him up with Ken Wahl, who I believe starred in The Wanderers. Which by the way is another film that has been overlooked over the years.

You're right--my bad.

Re: Overlooked films [Re: SC] #421953
08/04/07 11:44 PM
08/04/07 11:44 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: SC

A wonderful movie!!

Yes. It speaks to those of us Of A Certain Age, of New York background, who relate to it personally. But it stands on its own, and discerning younger observers like our friend Mick recognize it for its honesty and high quality. \:\)

Re: Overlooked films [Re: Turnbull] #421963
08/05/07 12:22 AM
08/05/07 12:22 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
I was just checking IMDb's page for "The Wanderers" and I saw that the gal that played Ken Wahl's girlfriend (Dolph Sweet's daughter) is the same actress who played Angie Bompensiro on "The Sopranos".

I never knew that before.

Re: Overlooked films [Re: SC] #422210
08/05/07 10:44 PM
08/05/07 10:44 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
The Man in the Moon with Reese Witherspoon. A chick movie for sure, but with five daughters I'm attuned to such movies. It was sensitive and revealing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull