GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (furio_from_naples), 377 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,080
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,371
Posts1,059,524
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What if Appolonia lived? #398914
06/07/07 05:04 PM
06/07/07 05:04 PM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline OP
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline OP
Underboss
New Market, MD
I'm not into the whole "what if" scenarios because, quite simply, they didn't happen, so what's the point of discussing it?

But something just dawned on me.

Mike clearly wanted the WASPy wife in Kay to be by his side in order to look more American and less Italian, AKA, mobbed up.

But what if Appolonia lived?

Would he have brought her back to the states with him and kept him as a wife as he took over the family business?

How would that have hurt/helped his image? You have to think that if she lived, and came to the states with him, she wouldn't have been as naive as Kay. She knew what the mafia was all about, having lived in Sicily. Her father was a part of it!

I think Appolonia would have become a little Lady Macbeth (Lady Corleone) had she lived and would have had Michael's ear a little more than he would have liked.

I also would have loved to see how Kay would have reacted to see Mike back home with a wife. You also have to think that Mike would still have feelings for Kay too, since he left so abruptly after murdering Sollozzo and McClusky.

Who knows, maybe Apple would have ended up ordering a hit on Kay!

There is also the possibility that Mike and Appolonia would have stayed in Sicily, where Mike could have either lived out the rest of his life there in peace (which I doubt, he was "in" after the killings) or become a representative of the Corleone family in Sicily and rose to power there.

After all, power was his destiny.

Basically, where was Mike mentally when he married Apple? Did he know he would come back and take over the family business when he married her? Was he just struck by the thunderbolt and not thinking about that stuff?

What does everyone think?

Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #398924
06/07/07 05:28 PM
06/07/07 05:28 PM
ScarFather Offline
Capo
ScarFather  Offline
Capo
I think initially he was looking for some companionship followed quickly by a "be like dad"... marry a sicilian.

I think too much is made about Kay and how it makes Michael look. As far as I know... Michael got out of bad situations because of Michael... not because of his waspy wife.

IMO Michael wanted a REAL, HARDCORE SICILIAN family. That was his goal. The once first option in Kay became a 2nd option... only because Appolonia was killed.

"What I want.... whats most important to me... is that I have a guarantee" - Train approaches.... Bang! Bang! Bang!
Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: ScarFather] #398928
06/07/07 05:42 PM
06/07/07 05:42 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Michael's true love was Appolonia. She would have been the essential Italian mobster's wife too. Like a Mama Corleone.

I don't believe that Michael loved Kay in the same way after falling in love with Appolonia. He was hit by the thunderbolt with Appolonia. He wasn't with Kay.

Although I think that he loved Kay in a different way, he was not as passionate about Kay as he was with Appolonia.

If he really and truley lved Kay the way that he loved Appolonia, then he would have never waited as long as he did to contact her after returning from Sicily.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: Don Cardi] #398930
06/07/07 05:46 PM
06/07/07 05:46 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Well, I saw Diane Keaton topless in LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR.

No comparison.

Apollonia

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: Don Cardi] #398937
06/07/07 05:55 PM
06/07/07 05:55 PM
ScarFather Offline
Capo
ScarFather  Offline
Capo
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
Michael's true love was Appolonia.

Disagree. I think Kay was always #1.

She would have been the essential Italian mobster's wife too. Like a Mama Corleone.

Agree 100%.

I don't believe that Michael loved Kay in the same way after falling in love with Appolonia. He was hit by the thunderbolt with Appolonia. He wasn't with Kay.

It was STILL Love for Kay... just different love... and future/family stuff.

Although I think that he loved Kay in a different way, he was not as passionate about Kay as he was with Appolonia.

Agreed.

If he really and truley lved Kay the way that he loved Appolonia, then he would have never waited as long as he did to contact her after returning from Sicily.

I disagree here... I think the only reason why he waited was that he had to get his "family" affairs in order. Had to be focused... remember there was no future if Michael didnt have his ducks all lined up.

"What I want.... whats most important to me... is that I have a guarantee" - Train approaches.... Bang! Bang! Bang!
Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: ScarFather] #398946
06/07/07 06:21 PM
06/07/07 06:21 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: ScarFather

The book even tells us, when he first sees Apollonia, that

"...it was nothing like the love he'd had for Kay."

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: Don Cardi] #398966
06/07/07 06:41 PM
06/07/07 06:41 PM
ScarFather Offline
Capo
ScarFather  Offline
Capo

The book even tells us, when he first sees Apollonia, that

"...it was nothing like the love he'd had for Kay."

Wow.... the first time he see's Apollonia he trumps the "love/relationship" that he had with Kay.... thats pretty good...

Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: ScarFather] #398984
06/07/07 06:48 PM
06/07/07 06:48 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Scarfather,

Have you ever read the book?

Don Cardi cool

Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: Don Cardi] #398998
06/07/07 07:05 PM
06/07/07 07:05 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Right DC, the book tells about he thunderbolt hitting him about Appolonia and it's in the movie also. I believe he felt comfortable with Kay, but he really loved Appolonia passionately.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: Don Cardi] #398999
06/07/07 07:06 PM
06/07/07 07:06 PM
ScarFather Offline
Capo
ScarFather  Offline
Capo
Scarfather,

Have you ever read the book?

No I havent.

I understand what you are saying and where you are getting it from.... but... the book and the movie are different right? According to most of the posters on here....

My point is.... He tells Kay that he thought of her EVEN when he was married to Apollonia... I believe him...

Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: ScarFather] #399056
06/07/07 09:06 PM
06/07/07 09:06 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I believe that part of his initial attraction to Kay was that she was everything that every girl he knew growing up was not. She was not Italian, not Catholic, she was fair, not dark, she was independent, questioning and educated. At the time that he met Kay, Michael was doing his best to distance himself from his family and everything about them.

When he fled to Sicily, he experiences the thunderbolt when he sees Appolonia. He falls intensely in love with her at first sight. At that time, he is in a search for his roots, and Appolonia, being the good Sicilian wife, is perfect for the man that Michael is becoming. And when she is killed, I think that a large part of him dies.

When he returns to America, I think he very coldly decides to go in search of Kay. She was still in love with the Michael that she met in college, the one looking to separate himself from his family and his past. She has no idea about the man he has become, but she's getting older, living in a tiny town in New Hampshire, so she agrees to marry him.

As for Michael's feelings for Kay, I think that he cared for her, but I don't think that she ever had a shot at being #1. Michael decided that it was time to settle down and start his family, so he finds out that Kay had never married, figures that she's getting older and maybe a little nervous about being an old maid, he's comfortable with her, she provides a veil of legitimacy, and he cold-bloodedly proposes.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #399060
06/07/07 09:13 PM
06/07/07 09:13 PM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
He does say to Kay in Part 3"you were all that i cared about.You were all that i cherished the most in this world"

I do agrre with Sicilian Babe for the most part.As in when he was living in America Kay had her appeal before he eventually fell in love with her.And while in Sicily,Appolonia was the "real" thing and he was immersing himself in his heritage with her.

Just my thoughts.

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: whisper] #399063
06/07/07 09:14 PM
06/07/07 09:14 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Maybe if she lived she would have grown some nipples.

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: Beth E] #399065
06/07/07 09:16 PM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
 Originally Posted By: Beth E
Maybe if she lived she would have grown some nipples.

Hahaha

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #399066
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Excellent post SB! Right on the money!

And if I might add, when Michael returns and goes to see Kay, at that point we are seeing the cunning of Michael, the manipulation. "I thought about you..." etc. etc.

Don Cardi cool

Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: whisper] #399067
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
She was his wife, the mother of his children. Of course he cherished her. But he never says, I was so crazy in love with you that I couldn't see straight! He uses words like care and cherish, not adore, and certainly never crazy. Only Appolonia makes him crazy with love.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #399068
06/07/07 09:19 PM
06/07/07 09:19 PM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
Good point.I just love how many levels this saga contains.So many different view points created in so many different peoples minds.Its surreal how the power of film can create such a thing.

Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: whisper] #399142
06/07/07 11:59 PM
06/07/07 11:59 PM
Toronto, Canada
UnderBoss Offline
Capo
UnderBoss  Offline
Capo
Toronto, Canada
Appolonia was way hotter than Kay too IMO, but GF3 would be much more different if Appolonia was his wife, it may have been harder for him to get out of the life... or attempt to.

Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #399158
06/08/07 12:35 AM
06/08/07 12:35 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe

When he fled to Sicily, he experiences the thunderbolt when he sees Appolonia. He falls intensely in love with her at first sight. At that time, he is in a search for his roots, and Appolonia, being the good Sicilian wife, is perfect for the man that Michael is becoming. And when she is killed, I think that a large part of him dies.

Perfectly said! \:\)
Remember that Michael was only about 26 when he landed in Sicily in 1946. He had spent a good part of his life until then rebelling against his upbringing and his roots. So, at first, I believe he thought it was a temporary sojourn and was expecting Sonny, Tom and his father to bring him home sooner rather than later. He would then resume his former life as much as it was possible to do so.
But after the thunderbolt, I think he went into a new "phase" of his life: Make up for years of rebellion by embracing his Sicilian roots. Or, as Newton said, "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." He embraced Sicily through Appolonia: formal courtship, chaperoned visits, old-fashioned wedding, protection from a gabboleto (Don Tomasso). I think he might have been contemplating staying in Sicily indefinitely--until Sonny got whacked and Appolonia was blown up.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #399160
06/08/07 12:38 AM
06/08/07 12:38 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Perfectly said! \:\)
Remember that Michael was only about 26 when he landed in Sicily in 1946. He had spent a good part of his life until then rebelling against his upbringing and his roots. So, at first, I believe he thought it was a temporary sojourn and was expecting Sonny, Tom and his father to bring him home sooner rather than later. He would then resume his former life as much as it was possible to do so.
But after the thunderbolt, I think he went into a new "phase" of his life: Make up for years of rebellion by embracing his Sicilian roots. Or, as Newton said, "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." He embraced Sicily through Appolonia: formal courtship, chaperoned visits, old-fashioned wedding, protection from a traditional Don. I think he might have been contemplating staying in Sicily indefinitely--until Sonny got whacked and Appolonia was blown up.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: Turnbull] #399316
06/08/07 12:05 PM
06/08/07 12:05 PM
123321 Offline
Associate
123321  Offline
Associate
This is how Al Pacino described the relationship between Michael and Kay:

"Michael loved her when he met her and he loved her throughout his life and he loves her to this day, even though their relationship was surrounded by a lie. He not only loves her, but he admires her."

Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: 123321] #399322
06/08/07 01:00 PM
06/08/07 01:00 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Appolonia wouldn't have had an abortion. She would have seen bearing and raising Michael's sons as her greatest achievement.

Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: ScarFather] #399343
06/08/07 01:43 PM
06/08/07 01:43 PM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline OP
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline OP
Underboss
New Market, MD
I think initially he was looking for some companionship followed quickly by a "be like dad"... marry a sicilian.

I think too much is made about Kay and how it makes Michael look. As far as I know... Michael got out of bad situations because of Michael... not because of his waspy wife.

IMO Michael wanted a REAL, HARDCORE SICILIAN family. That was his goal. The once first option in Kay became a 2nd option... only because Appolonia was killed.

I never said that Mike wanted Kay to get him out of anything. Mike wanted to be presented as an Americanized person though, in all aspects of his life. Kay would fulfill this. Although I agree, Appolonia was his "true love".

Last edited by DeathByClotheshanger; 06/08/07 01:43 PM.
Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #399449
06/08/07 06:30 PM
06/08/07 06:30 PM
The BING
Sopranorleone Offline
Capo
Sopranorleone  Offline
Capo
The BING
On a side note, does anyone think that Apollonia was pregnant (obviously the beginning stages) at the time of her death? I know it wasn't mentioned in either the novel or the book, but it would add more fuel to Michael's fire.

Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: Sopranorleone] #399548
06/09/07 01:37 AM
06/09/07 01:37 AM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
I dont think she was.But she could've been.It would no doubt add a lot more fuel to his fire.

Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: whisper] #399645
06/09/07 02:09 PM
06/09/07 02:09 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
She would have become fat and her only english would have been monday, tuesday, saturday, sunday, friday ...

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: olivant] #400340
06/11/07 02:52 AM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

Would have? Isn't she still alive, olivant?

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: olivant] #400341
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: olivant] #400342
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

Re: What if Appolonia lived? [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #400461
06/11/07 09:19 AM
06/11/07 09:19 AM
W
wtwt5237 Offline
Made Member
wtwt5237  Offline
W
Made Member
 Originally Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger

I never said that Mike wanted Kay to get him out of anything. Mike wanted to be presented as an Americanized person though, in all aspects of his life. Kay would fulfill this. Although I agree, Appolonia was his "true love".

Do you believe that Micheal had no affection towards Kay? The question is not mentioned anywhere, but I guess Micheal would not be a mob in his personal life. Had not he been in, he would have remained a nice college boy and good civilian. As with Apple, I would agree that there is a more proportion of joys of flesh between them than that of 'true love'

One has only one destiny, he cannot choose it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull