GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
7 registered members (Toodoped, RushStreet, VitoCahill, Irishman12, Mafia101, 2 invisible), 278 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,541
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,998
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,358
Posts1,059,193
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Crazy Joe Gallo #365319
02/16/07 10:41 PM
02/16/07 10:41 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Pizzaboy, over in the other thread you mentioned how Jerry Orbach and his wife became good friends with Crazy Joe Gallo.

Here is a Time Magazine article that includes an interview with the Orbachs, after Gallo was killed.

=============================================================

Our Friend Joey Gallo
Monday, Apr. 17, 1972

In his final months of life, Mobster Joey Gallo developed an unusual friendship with Actor Jerry Orbach and his wife, Writer Maria Curro. Orbach had played a role patterned in part after Gallo's life in the movie version of Jimmy Breslin's The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight. Out of the blue, the Orbachs got a call from Gallo, who wanted to meet his screen counterpart. The three saw each other almost daily after that. The Orbachs told TIME correspondent James Willwerth how they felt about Gallo. It is a picture that his rivals—and victims—would scarcely have believed.

JOEY had an intense sense of destiny," says Marta. "If he was truly marked for dying, this old-fashioned way—in style—would have been a point of honor to him. He was afraid he would choke on a piece of steak or slip in the bathroom. In a terrible way, Joey's death would have appealed to his sense of drama. He constantly told us that we might be with him when he was killed. And once he asked us if we would stay with him on a night when he knew it might happen. We would have, of course.

"We hadn't seen him very much in the past few weeks. I knew something was wrong, that he was doing something he was ashamed to tell us. He had been very sweet to me, holding my hand, saying tender things. It was a sign of something unusual. But he was terribly happy and relaxed the last night. At the Copacabana, I never saw him laugh so hard. My guard was down, just as his guard was down. And that's when they get you, when your guard is down."

"Joey compressed time with us because he knew in the back of his head that he might not have much time, that he could go at any minute," says Jerry Orbach. "Consequently, a minute spent talking to Joey was like an hour spent with someone else. There was no 'how's the weather?' or small talk. He was somebody who had to catch a train and get it all in now."

Adds Marta: "I know there was another side to Joey. But I can't comprehend it. He told us he was going straight. 'You don't understand, Momma,' he would say. 'I gotta get off.' It's a junkie term meaning you have to get the right kind of dope, the 'high' you need to make your life right."

Jerry remembers: "Breslin's book had portrayed Joey as a clown. Then when I met Joey, I was absolutely amazed to find out that maybe he had been a wild kind of nut before he went to prison, but something had happened to him inside. He'd done nothing but read there, and it was startling to talk with him." Marta adds: "When he asked me whether I preferred Camus or Sartre, I almost fell into a plate of spaghetti.

"There's a corner of Italian background in me," Marta continues, "that was ready to be activated. The first day I laid eyes on Joey, it was like being with my father. Joey sensed it, and my family sensed it. After that we were with him almost every day. And if we didn't see him, he'd call up and ask where the hell we were. He called my boy Christopher 'Dynamite.' He called me 'Momma,' or sometimes 'the Big Job.' The people we introduced him to were the best people we know. It was very difficult for him to say thank you. He might hug you or smile. But he wouldn't say much. When we had his wedding at our house, we got the minister who married Tiny Tim—no judge would touch the marriage with a ten-foot pole. Joey said in the car afterward, 'Nobody ever gave me a day like that. I'll always be grateful.'

"He had an idea for a play, a comedy about prison life, like M*A*S*H was about war. We worked on it, and I began observing him, and the book came out of it. Joey absolutely wouldn't talk about his past. I hope that is understood. The book is only about the relationship between my family and his.

"Joey was a terribly sexy person. He always made you feel he would run away with you—if there weren't 1,000 other factors to consider. He talked about prisons a lot, too. He thought that the Attica uprising was inevitable, and that Rockefeller handled it right. 'The hacks [guards] had to get their thing off, too,' he said. They would have shot someone sooner or later.' "

===============================================================

BTW, you weren't that far off in the way that you worded your post over in the other thread in regards to Orbach being with Gallo when he was killed.

According to Detective Joe Coffey, Orbach was with Joey Gallo when he was gunned down. But Coffey insists he wasn't able to close the case because Orbach refused to name the shooters. Coffey has claimed that when he brought him in for questioning, Orbach "dummied up."

CLICK HERE for the full story.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Crazy Joe Gallo [Re: Don Cardi] #365322
02/16/07 10:57 PM
02/16/07 10:57 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Nice article DC. Is it possible that "Crazy Joe" was misunderstood ?

When you read accounts like this, by people that knew him, they often paint a picture of a real character, with a "joie de vivre".

I'll say one thing about him, he was a fascinating personality. I mean, Bob Dylan wrote a song about him, for God's sake.

I'd really love to see a definitive biography written about him, or perhaps, as you suggested, a big budget Hollywood bio-pic.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Crazy Joe Gallo [Re: pizzaboy] #365323
02/16/07 11:06 PM
02/16/07 11:06 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

I'd really love to see a definitive biography written about him, or perhaps, as you suggested, a big budget Hollywood bio-pic.

If you haven't already done so, then pick up the book THE SIXTH FAMILY by Peter Diapolous, who was Crazy Joe's bodyguard. A very good read.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Crazy Joe Gallo [Re: Don Cardi] #365391
02/17/07 12:45 AM
02/17/07 12:45 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

BTW, you weren't that far off in the way that you worded your post over in the other thread in regards to Orbach being with Gallo when he was killed.

According to Detective Joe Coffey, Orbach was with Joey Gallo when he was gunned down. But Coffey insists he wasn't able to close the case because Orbach refused to name the shooters. Coffey has claimed that when he brought him in for questioning, Orbach "dummied up."

CLICK HERE for the full story.

Don Cardi

Good footnote to the story DC. I've always kind of respected Joe Coffey for his "tell it like it is" attitude.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Crazy Joe Gallo [Re: pizzaboy] #365932
02/18/07 05:29 PM
02/18/07 05:29 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I found a used copy of JOEY by Donald Goddard on the B&N website.

It's been out of print for quite awhile, has anyone ever read it and is it worth my time ?

PB

Re: Crazy Joe Gallo [Re: pizzaboy] #365980
02/18/07 07:34 PM
02/18/07 07:34 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I read it quite some time ago PB. From what I remember it was pretty decent. If I remember correctly, it's based on stories that his wife and daughter related to Goddard, along with Goddard's own findings. It's worth a read.

Check out ABEBOOKS WEBSITE

You might find a really cheap copy.

But for me, I think that the SIXTH FAMILY is the one that probably gives the best account of Crazy Joe and the Gallo clan.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: Crazy Joe Gallo [Re: Don Cardi] #366098
02/18/07 09:24 PM
02/18/07 09:24 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ

Don Cardi

Let me add my endorsement of Abebooks. Just 10 days ago, I was looking for an out-of-print book. Amazon had it listed from their "preferred" sellers, and the lowest price was $49.00. Abebooks had a copy in very good condition (with original dustjacket) for $12.50. It arrived three days after I ordered it.

Re: Crazy Joe Gallo [Re: Don Cardi] #366122
02/18/07 09:27 PM
02/18/07 09:27 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I read it quite some time ago PB. From what I remember it was pretty decent. If I remember correctly, it's based on stories that his wife and daughter related to Goddard, along with Goddard's own findings. It's worth a read.

But for me, I think that the SIXTH FAMILY is the one that probably gives the best account of Crazy Joe and the Gallo clan.

Don Cardi

Yep, Abe's had both books, for slightly less than $15 combined.

Thanks for the heads up.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull