GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 133 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,538
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,998
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,358
Posts1,059,180
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 45 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 44 45
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Irishman12] #355353
01/07/07 09:10 PM
01/07/07 09:10 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

I always go through stages of reading non stop to not reading at all.Should start agian.

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: DE NIRO] #355509
01/08/07 03:57 PM
01/08/07 03:57 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Online shocked
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Online Shocked
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
I would like to read more but again, school just doesn't allow me to. But if I graduate in August like I'm planning on, than from then on I "should" be able to read whenever I want. I'm REALLY looking forward to July for the 7th and final Harry Potter book (as I'm sure your sister is too)

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #358390
01/22/07 09:47 PM
01/22/07 09:47 PM
New York
S
Santino_Farricko Offline
Associate
Santino_Farricko  Offline
S
Associate
New York
The books I have just finished are:
Donnie Brasco
The Way of the Wiseguy
Cosa Nostra: A History of the Sicilian Mafia
Wise-Guys
The Last Gangster (hated it, really)
The Godfather
Men of Honor

Godere essendo italiano, from Palermo to New York - My Voyage, My Life
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Santino_Farricko] #360745
02/03/07 12:18 PM
02/03/07 12:18 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Picked these up at Barnes & Noble yesterday:

The Edgar Allan Poe book I picked up is different than the one pictured. But it is a complete and unabridged collection of his works.

I've heard mixed reviews of Harris' Hannibal Rising, but I enjoyed the other 3 books in the series, so I thought I'd give this one a go.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: XDCX] #360759
02/03/07 02:27 PM
02/03/07 02:27 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
X, Let me know how Hannibal Rising is. I've wanted to try it, but was somewhat disappointed with the last one, so I didn't want to part with the $$.

I just finished The Pursuit of Happyness. What a marvelous story!

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: DE NIRO] #360762
02/03/07 02:44 PM
02/03/07 02:44 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
I always go through stages of reading non stop to not reading at all.
I'm exactly the same. I should definitely read more; I'm incredibly under-read. No excuse, really, since when I'm reading I feel very balanced out and logical.

Saying that, earlier this week I read Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, for the second time in total and the first time in ages.

It inspires me so much. A lot of my flatmates had to read it too, for our English unit, and it was their first time reading it. The general consensus is that everybody was waiting for it to begin then suddenly it was over.

That's why I love it; to me it's the entire point. Marlow gets to the core of the jungle, the mystery of the entire book, the heart of the darkness, and what we get are two words, each said twice, which kind of engulfs everything before and after it in a completely devastating, nihilistic disgust. It's as if writing for Conrad was a way of purging himself of his own burdens, and in doing so has passed the disease onto us.

It's a fascinating read, primarily because of its form, its narrative, its multi-layering of events, its bringing together of fragments of different stories of the same man, and accumulating a myth so profound, so extraordinary, so God-like, that when we find he's a human being dying of death, we don't pity him at all but feel incredibly disappointed. How selfish we are as readers. How selfish the Company was to expect of Kurtz anything less than conformism.

As a brief, slightly reductive comparison, the only real point in Apocalypse Now that really captures the intensity of Kurtz's enigma is when Brando first steps out of the shadows and his eyes stare into the camera, his face half in shadow... and there are numerous moments in the narration where Willard makes direct reference to the man up the river, the goal ahead, reminding us why we're even experiencing the film in the first place... having been momentarily distracted by napalm and surfing.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #361945
02/07/07 09:45 PM
02/07/07 09:45 PM
Tennessee
AngelaMarie Offline
Underboss
AngelaMarie  Offline
Underboss
Tennessee
I'm currently reading a GREAT novel by Sheila O'Flanagan called "Connections." I bought it in Scotland a few weeks ago. It's set on a tropical island, and each chapter writes about someone in a different hotel room in one big hotel. It is so good!!! And the characters run into each other -the ones that you read about in other chapters. I've never read a book like that. Some chapters are written in first person, and others are written in 3rd person. It is just a great read. She is such a great author. And the characters are so real. They aren't cardboard cut-outs. It's great. I need to finish it! I haven't picked it up since I got home 2 weeks ago.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #362090
02/08/07 10:25 AM
02/08/07 10:25 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
I always go through stages of reading non stop to not reading at all.
I'm exactly the same. I should definitely read more; I'm incredibly under-read. No excuse, really, since when I'm reading I feel very balanced out and logical.

Saying that, earlier this week I read Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, for the second time in total and the first time in ages.

It inspires me so much. A lot of my flatmates had to read it too, for our English unit, and it was their first time reading it. The general consensus is that everybody was waiting for it to begin then suddenly it was over.

That's why I love it; to me it's the entire point. Marlow gets to the core of the jungle, the mystery of the entire book, the heart of the darkness, and what we get are two words, each said twice, which kind of engulfs everything before and after it in a completely devastating, nihilistic disgust. It's as if writing for Conrad was a way of purging himself of his own burdens, and in doing so has passed the disease onto us.

It's a fascinating read, primarily because of its form, its narrative, its multi-layering of events, its bringing together of fragments of different stories of the same man, and accumulating a myth so profound, so extraordinary, so God-like, that when we find he's a human being dying of death, we don't pity him at all but feel incredibly disappointed. How selfish we are as readers. How selfish the Company was to expect of Kurtz anything less than conformism.

As a brief, slightly reductive comparison, the only real point in Apocalypse Now that really captures the intensity of Kurtz's enigma is when Brando first steps out of the shadows and his eyes stare into the camera, his face half in shadow... and there are numerous moments in the narration where Willard makes direct reference to the man up the river, the goal ahead, reminding us why we're even experiencing the film in the first place... having been momentarily distracted by napalm and surfing.

Very impressive insight and analysis.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Sicilian Babe] #362649
02/09/07 10:38 AM
02/09/07 10:38 AM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
X, Let me know how Hannibal Rising is. I've wanted to try it, but was somewhat disappointed with the last one, so I didn't want to part with the $$.

I just finished The Pursuit of Happyness. What a marvelous story!

I'm not quite finished yet...but so far it's pretty good. I'll save my judgment until I finish...but I'll be sure to let you know what I think of it!

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: XDCX] #362658
02/09/07 11:41 AM
02/09/07 11:41 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I somewhat enjoyed Hannibal until its ridiculously stupid ending that defied belief.

Right now, my daughter is reading The Great Gatsby for English class, and I'm rereading it so that we can discuss it. I love rereading a favorite book. It's like visiting with an old friend.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Sicilian Babe] #362686
02/09/07 04:07 PM
02/09/07 04:07 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Right now, my daughter is reading The Great Gatsby for English class, and I'm rereading it so that we can discuss it. I love rereading a favorite book. It's like visiting with an old friend.

A favorite of mine too. I think it's the finest American novel.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: klydon1] #362691
02/09/07 04:47 PM
02/09/07 04:47 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I love all of his books, klyd. Did you ever read Zelda? I knew that his novels were autobiographical, but until I read that book, I never knew to what extent.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Sicilian Babe] #362697
02/09/07 05:21 PM
02/09/07 05:21 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
I actually never read Zelda , but I will some day. I read This Side of Paradise and Tender is the Night about 20 years ago.

A line from Gatsby that I occasionally steal is "You're worth the whole damn bunch of them." Nick said it to Gatsby near the end of the novel.

Actually, there are also some gangster references in the novel that many here would find of interest, particularly references to the fixing of the 1919 World Series.

But I guess the next time I'll read it is, like yo, when my son has to read it for school.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: klydon1] #362698
02/09/07 05:34 PM
02/09/07 05:34 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Zelda was a fascinating woman. No wonder he wrote about her over and over again. She was also extremely crazy, so no wonder he drank. My favorite line: Her voice was full of money. How absolutely perfect is that line?? It's very funny, but Robert Redford, who played Gatsby in the film, actually uses it in another movie.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Sicilian Babe] #362699
02/09/07 05:40 PM
02/09/07 05:40 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
If I'm not mistaken, Zelda spent a good part of her married life in a mental institution. I'll have to read this novel sooner than later.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: klydon1] #362700
02/09/07 05:46 PM
02/09/07 05:46 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
She actually died in a fire in a mental institution. Very, very sad. She was a very good writer herself. I forget the name of the book she had published, but the word Waltz was in the title. I did a paper in college, comparing Zelda to his characters, so I read her book, and it was actually very good.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Sicilian Babe] #362703
02/09/07 06:03 PM
02/09/07 06:03 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Save me the Waltz was the book. I had heard of it, but never read it. In Tender is the Night, there was a characternamed Driver that I think was based on Zelda.

I believe she and F. Scott had children too, and he died young, early 40s I think.

A co-worker also told me that the computer/video game Legend of Zelda was named for her. I've heard of the game, but don't know anything about it.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: klydon1] #362707
02/09/07 06:19 PM
02/09/07 06:19 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
My daughter has that video game, but I never knew that.

They had a daughter, and supposedly Daisy's line about her daughter, "I hope she's a fool, a beautiful, little fool," was based on what Zelda said when their daughter was born.

I think that the character Nicole Diver was from Tender is the Night, and was based on Zelda.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Sicilian Babe] #363416
02/12/07 01:02 PM
02/12/07 01:02 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
I just finished reading Hannibal Rising.

Without going into too much detail, I'll say this much: The book was good, not great, and definitely not as bad as most have said it is.

It's interesting to see the early life of Hannibal Lecter, but my biggest complaint is Thomas Harris' attempt to humanize Lecter. Reading and watching The Silence of the Lambs, the character of Hannibal Lecter is a complete psychopath, and he sends chills up your spine whenever he speaks.

Hannibal Rising effectively turns Lecter into a tragic figure, a victim of a traumatic childhood. It somewhat diminishes the mystery and legend of the character.

Nevertheless, it was an enjoyable read, albeit a tad disappointing. I don't know if I can fully recommend it, though. It was definitely better than Hannibal, so you may wanna give it a look, SB. Maybe check it out at the library?

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: XDCX] #363417
02/12/07 01:08 PM
02/12/07 01:08 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Well, now that I have library privileges back, I may just do that. It doesn't seem the type of book that I'd want to own, so that's a good suggestion.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Sicilian Babe] #363506
02/12/07 05:23 PM
02/12/07 05:23 PM
your sisters bedroom
manicmontana Offline
BANNED
manicmontana  Offline
BANNED
your sisters bedroom
Factotum by Charles Bukowski...anyone read it..it shits all over the movie..i was dissapointed with that film as im a fan of the book and even the movie Barfly which was loosely based

So say goodnight to the bad guy..eh cause its the last time your ever gonna see a bad guy like this again let me tell you/O.K!! im reloaded!!You motherfuckers think your big time!!!Your gonna die big time!!!O.K Here come the pain!!!
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: manicmontana] #363580
02/12/07 08:00 PM
02/12/07 08:00 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
MM, my old teacher's hero is Bukowski.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #363581
02/12/07 08:02 PM
02/12/07 08:02 PM
your sisters bedroom
manicmontana Offline
BANNED
manicmontana  Offline
BANNED
your sisters bedroom
Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
MM, my old teacher's hero is Bukowski.

he's a great story teller may he rest in piece

So say goodnight to the bad guy..eh cause its the last time your ever gonna see a bad guy like this again let me tell you/O.K!! im reloaded!!You motherfuckers think your big time!!!Your gonna die big time!!!O.K Here come the pain!!!
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: manicmontana] #368043
02/22/07 02:36 PM
02/22/07 02:36 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
I've just finished reading If on a winter's night a traveller, by Italo Calvino.

And what, a book. Astonishing; deeply self-consious, -reflexive and -obsessed. Goodness, Calvino is a fantastic linguist, all too aware that his writing is translated into English the world over so that people can read his novels; it's obsessed with who might be reading it, what kind of person might be reading his words, and what they make of them, what they bring to them, what they expect from them, and from him, as the author.

I love this kind of stuff. It switches from first person to third person to second person, from present tense to past tense, from one space to another, from one time to another still, all with one brush-stroke, with one turn, in the same sentence. It's so densely obsessed with its own literary fabrication, it's almost anti-imagery, as if to form images in the mind when reading a novel is to relate it to a possible cinematic or painterly adaptation, and he doesn't want that at all; he makes you conscious from the very start to the very finish that you are not only reading a novel, but you are reading his novel.

Questions of authorship, readership, reality, the text as a mirror, the text as written by one person, the text as written by everybody at the same time, the text as one chapter in a bookshop full of texts; how meaning is fabricated, how interpretation is formed. It's like a very creative, elongated essay of literary criticism, and a very convincing and thrilling one at that. I've never read anything quite like it.

You must read it soon, if this brief "synopsis" gets your juices flowing.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #368050
02/22/07 03:32 PM
02/22/07 03:32 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Try The Templars by Peirs Paul Read. It is timely considering that it deals with the crusades, Middle East, Muslims, etc. But it also provides alot of information not only about the Templars, but about the relationship between the Muslim peoples and Europeans. In fact, it describes alliances between the two when it served their repsective purposes, something that surprised me.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: olivant] #371303
03/03/07 01:02 AM
03/03/07 01:02 AM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California

Picked this up while I was in California. I read (and enjoyed) Holy Blood, Holy Grail and The Da Vinci Code, so I thought I'd give this a go.

I consider myself a Christian, but I'm not afraid (or too proud) to look at things from both sides. I've always been fascinated with the history of Christianity (and religion in general.)

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: XDCX] #371737
03/04/07 02:05 PM
03/04/07 02:05 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
X, I just finished reading Hannibal Rising. I thought it was much better written than Hannibal, but too filled with easy reasons as to WHY he became Hannibal the Cannibal.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Sicilian Babe] #371779
03/04/07 02:36 PM
03/04/07 02:36 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
X, I just finished reading Hannibal Rising. I thought it was much better written than Hannibal, but too filled with easy reasons as to WHY he became Hannibal the Cannibal.

That was my main complaint with the story. You watch a film like Silence of the Lambs or Red Dragon...and you're chilled to the core at the mere sight of Hannibal (played brilliantly by Sir Anthony Hopkins.)

In Hannibal Rising...I don't get that feeling. I didn't feel as though he was becoming a monster by what he was doing. He was seeking revenge, and I actually found myself rooting him on when he tracked down these men. They deserved to die, and they died in very deservingly sadistic ways.

It was a very fascinating read, but I feel Thomas Harris did too much to try and humanize Lecter.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Irishman12] #400009
06/10/07 07:07 PM
06/10/07 07:07 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Online shocked
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Online Shocked
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro

I was quite disappointed with this book as the movie was my favorite of 2006. As you can probably tell, I prefer the movie to the book. I really didn't get care much for the story until after the 100-page mark and by then, it was too late. Not the worst material I've ever read, but comic book adaptation wise, it is. If you loved the movie, stick with it and skip the novel! Although, I will give Senor Moore another shot as I'd like to read FROM HELL soon if I can get my hands on a cheap copy.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Irishman12] #400044
06/10/07 08:23 PM
06/10/07 08:23 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
V was a very good movie.

Am reading Jay Winik's "April 1865" about the last weeks of the Civil War, Lee's surrender, and the aftermath. There's so much about all that of which we are not aware. It is quite interesting.

I'm trying to locate a copy of "The Jesus Dynasty". Tough to locate.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Page 8 of 45 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 44 45

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull