GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Lou_Para), 98 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,168
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,388
Posts1,059,834
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28382
05/28/05 07:19 AM
05/28/05 07:19 AM
North East England
Joolsie Cappucetti Offline
Made Member
Joolsie Cappucetti  Offline
Made Member
North East England
In the film Sonny also says 'Tessio you drive him, you pick him up after the job'

Senator, we are both part of the same hypocrisy
Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28383
05/29/05 04:07 PM
05/29/05 04:07 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Originally posted by SC:
You wrote that it was Clemenza'a car. Shouldn't it have been Tessio's??
A MESSAGE FROM HARLAN LEBO:

Geoff:

That's a good question about Clemenza's car. I know there was a reason why I specified that it was Clemenza's car, but I'll have to check in my original notes for why I specified a car. More to come on that.

H

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28384
05/29/05 04:09 PM
05/29/05 04:09 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
A MESSAGE FROM HARLAN LEBO

Geoff:

Thanks so much for your help, and for posting my question about the shooting of Sonny. I did a survey of all of the photos I have of the shooting scene, plus 60 years of aerial photos, and you and your users are right: it was Mitchel Field that was used for this scene.

I haven't had a chance to talk with Gray Frederickson about it yet, but I can only assume that the reason that Al Ruddy was quoted saying in 1972 (and when I interviewed him in 1996) that they used Floyd Bennett Field was because they had originally planned to use it, but the plans fell through. I'm sorry I included this detail in my first addition.

So, I was able to produce the revisions I need for the book on very short notice. I'm adding more than 7,000 words of new material, especially extra details about the production and writing the script, along with many new quotes. I'm also adding a new afterword that brings the story up to date.

I've also reviewed every detail of the the primary source material (including such things as the site of Sonny's shooting) to "sanitize" the book. And, we're getting a new cover -- an extra-nice shot of Brando.

It was great fun to relive this project, and to flesh out the quotes and details that I had always wanted to include, but the timing of the oriignal writing schedule (and Coppola's non-availability for interviews because he was directing "Jack.") got in the way. Now, the book has that added dimension I always wanted.

So, more to come. We should see the new addition in late October, and we can talk more about it online with everyone, if you like.

Again -- thanks so much for your help. The next time I'm in New York, I owe you an anisette.

Cheers,

Harlan

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28385
05/29/05 04:13 PM
05/29/05 04:13 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
ANOTHER MESSAGE FROM HARLAN LEBO

Geoff:

One more thing: I was just reading the board and I may have given you the wrong impression on one point: for the Woltz estate, it was the EXTERIORS that were shot at the Harold Lloyd Estate in Beverly Hills. All of the Woltz interiors were indeed shot on location at the Guggenehim place on Long Island, as originally reported.

I include some extra material about this in the revisions of my Godfather book that will be published in October.

The Lloyd Estate is in the heart of the actual hills of Beverly Hills (north of Sunset Boulevard). The address is no secret -- either 1040 Angelo Drive, or 1740 Green Acres Place, depending on how you look at it. (Drive by, but of course, don't bother the occupants.) Here is a nice photo of the main house, taken in 1984.

The grounds were huge -- originally 22 acres of some of the most valuable property on Earth -- and included a nine-hole golf course and a canoe stream! You can see the drive up to the house from the street at the beginning of the movie "Harper," when Paul Newman goes up a narrow drive to the mansion of a client. Most of the grounds have been subdivided into large lots for other homes, but I believe (although I'm not sure) that the main house looks pretty much as it did in 1971.

One of your BB correspondents asked if this was the only scene from the Godfather shot in California. No -- the other shot in the film done in California was the re-uniting of Michael and Kaye at her school. This scene was shot in Ross -- a suburb in Marin County, California. But hey -- if your writer read my book, she would know this! grin

FYI -- when Coppola talks about shooting some scenes with Michael and Enzo in front of the hospital, he mentions that some inserts were shot in Los Angeles. I don't think he is remembering that correctly. I talked with Al Ruddy about this point, and also checked the scenes very carefully -- I think this is Coppola simply misremembering some of the shots handled in post-production.

H

Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28386
05/29/05 04:23 PM
05/29/05 04:23 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Geoff,

How totally awesome!! smile You think he will really join us in a discussion??

Btw, I do believe "I" am the person who asked if any other scenes were filmed in CA...and I haven't read his book. blush

How nice that he takes the time to to help us diehards with so many GF details.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28387
05/29/05 05:52 PM
05/29/05 05:52 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Pretty good stuff there Goeff! Maybe he'll make honorable mention in his updated book of you and the boards!

It would be great if he joined us for a discussion.

Hey, maybe you can ask him who the old man was that was singing at Connie's wedding! Still say it's Nazorine's father.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28388
05/29/05 08:08 PM
05/29/05 08:08 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
MORE FROM HARLAN RE: CLEMENZA'S CAR

OK, here's the deal on Clemenza's car picking up Michael: I went back to my notes, and remembered that I had done a review of all of the cars in the movie, to see who belonged with what car. I was wondering, at one point, if given the rarity of big vintage automobiles in 1971, if some cars were used more than once in the movie when they shouldn't have been -- like if the car Paulie gets killed in suddenly reappeared later in a prominent role being driven by someone else (it didn't -- unless it was used in a background scene or at the funeral).

Anyway, it turns out that the car that picked up Michael after the shooting is seen earlier parked in front of the Clemenza house when he leaves with Rocco and Paulie. That's why I called it as Clemenza's car.

Of course, we know from a scene in the Godfather Trilogy that Clemenza's personal and beloved car is the one in his garage -- he complains about it to Rocco because "stupid Dee-troit" shipped it without bumpers because of war shortages. However, this could have been only his "personal" car, and the car in front of the house was his "business" car.

Any other questions coming up? I'm glad to answer them.

Harlan

In my opinion, I think the fact that it was supposed to be Tessio's car, would suggest that it should probably be considered Tessio's car. As anal over details as FFC was, I would think that using a car again would be assumed to be easily overlooked by most people....

HARLAN'S RESPONSE

You're probably right. Of course, it could indeed have been Tessio's car, and identical to Clemenza's -- maybe FFC had a view that all capos used the same model car! Seriously, I think I chould eliminate the reference to "Clemenza's car"; Given that Sonny made it explicit in the film that Tessio should pick up Michael.

I'm always glad to answer questions that come in -- feel free to send me the puzzlers. I'll try to keep track of the board, too, but if there are ever any festering factual questions that come in and I haven't checked in for a while, go ahead and send them. It's perfectly fine to pass along my e-mail address; the only type of question I can't answer fall into the category of "why didn't FFC do this or that....." I can't read his mind!

Cheers,

H

Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28389
05/29/05 09:34 PM
05/29/05 09:34 PM
Los Angeles
Harlan Lebo Offline
Associate
Harlan Lebo  Offline
Associate
Los Angeles
Dear all:

It is a pleasure to participate in the posts, and I'm always glad to answer factual questions about the making of the Godfather. I don't check in as often as I should, so if you have a specific factual question about the film, please feel free to contact me at hlebo@yahoo.com.

I'll also be glad to do a chat anytime -- I'm working with Geoff to arrange it. Meanwhile, it's fun to be working toward the revised version of my book on the Godfather, which should be available in October.

All the best,

Harlan

Harlan Lebo
Author, The Godfather Legacy
(Simon & Schuster)
Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28390
05/29/05 10:04 PM
05/29/05 10:04 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Welcome to the boards, Harlan!

From day one on these (new) boards (almost 4 years now) many of us have been proclaiming your book as a "MUST HAVE and MUST READ" for fellow "Godfather fans. Now it looks like your new edition is a new MUST HAVE.

Considering its a holiday weekend the responses to your offer of help may be slow right now, but I'm sure you'll get some bites. Thanks for that offer.

Considering my avatar (the picture posted by my name) I think I'll have to check out one of your other books - "Casablanca - Behind the Scenes". smile

Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28391
05/29/05 10:08 PM
05/29/05 10:08 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Welcome to the Boards, Mr. Lebo! It's truly an honor to meet you (in some form or another). I picked up your book The Godfather Legacy on my last trip to California. I read the whole thing throughout the duration of the flight back home. I hope we'll be seeing you every so often! Again, welcome! smile

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28392
05/29/05 10:14 PM
05/29/05 10:14 PM
Los Angeles
Letizia B. Offline
Underboss
Letizia B.  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
Originally posted by SC:
I think I'll have to check out one of your other books - "Casablanca - Behind the Scenes". smile
Whoa, I didn't know about that... thanks for the heads up, SC! I'll order it in a few minutes. wink

Thanks a lot for all the information, Mr. Lebo! I can't wait for the new version of your book, and I wish you luck with it!

Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28393
05/29/05 10:28 PM
05/29/05 10:28 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Welcome Mr. Lebo. It is really an honor to have someone of your stature participate on the boards and it is also very generous of you to offer to answer any questions that we may have. I look forward to your posts and I constantly use your book for reference purposes when talking GF, here or off the boards. I cannot wait for the revised version to come out. Good luck to you and I hope to see you become a regular on these boards!

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28394
05/29/05 10:31 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Originally posted by Don Cardi:
Pretty good stuff there Goeff! Maybe he'll make honorable mention in his updated book of you and the boards!

It would be great if he joined us for a discussion.

Hey, maybe you can ask him who the old man was that was singing at Connie's wedding! Still say it's Nazorine's father.

Don Cardi cool
When Mama Corleone is singing, at the 16minute and 35/36 second point of the film right before it cuts to Sonny walking up the stairs she says "Nazorine come here" and then motions with her hand. Nazorine then comes on stage with that person so it has to be a close friend or relative, Father would make sense since they could have the same name.

The one thing I can say is that the person is definitly not credited, on imdb they have the extended list of characters and anyone that says "Wedding Guest" or anything to that degree was born around the 50's making them late teens early 20's when the flim was made. That person needs to have been born around 1900's/10's.

Maybe Harlen can help us out with this one, I searched for this actor for hours and nothing

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28395
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Welcome Mr. Lebo! What a true honor it is to have you not only acknowledge us here on Geoff's BB, but also be willing to answer our questions. I too look forward to your book and wish you every success. smile

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28396
05/29/05 11:01 PM
05/29/05 11:01 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Harlan -

It's an honor and a pleasure to have you here! I cannot believe it's been over 7 years (!) since our first online chat , and I look forward to the next one! I really look forward to the revised edition of the Legacy -- the definitive source on the Making of The Godfather films! It's very generous of you to invite the members here to ask questions, and in return I hope we can also shed some light on any of the questions you may have as you revise your book. We have a smart bunch of "padrinophiles" here, so you're in good company! smile

Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28397
05/30/05 05:50 AM
05/30/05 05:50 AM
North East England
Joolsie Cappucetti Offline
Made Member
Joolsie Cappucetti  Offline
Made Member
North East England
Goodness! It's a pleasure and an honour to 'meet' you. I look forward to hearing all of your comments. I joined these boards a few weeks ago and this is really a friendly and fascinating place to be. Hope to see you around!

Senator, we are both part of the same hypocrisy
Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28398
05/30/05 09:23 AM
05/30/05 09:23 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
What location was used for the filming of young Vito on Ellis Island? Were the interiors of Ellis Island actually used?

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28399
05/30/05 10:31 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
The Ellis Island scenes were actually shot in Italy. The Statue of Liberty was superimposed on the window. [see p. 239 wink ]

Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28400
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Maybe we can finally answer the age old question:

"Who's that eating the Chinese food with Michael, Sonny, Tom, Tessio, and Clemenza?" in the scene where they are waiting to find out where the Sollozzo meeting will take place.

Some here say it's Rocco, but others think it looks nothing like him.

A small point to be sure, but you have to wonder.....if it isn't Rocco, what's a "nobody" doing sitting in on such an important and ostensibly secret meeting of the inner circle.

Any help would be appreciated.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28401
05/30/05 10:42 AM
05/30/05 10:42 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by J Geoff:
The Ellis Island scenes were actually shot in Italy. The Statue of Liberty was superimposed on the window. [see p. 239 wink ]
Thank you Geoff. I read Lebo's book a while back, and although I use it for reference from time to time, I could not seem to find that part. Thanks! smile

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28402
05/31/05 04:02 PM
05/31/05 04:02 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Originally posted by plawrence:
Maybe we can finally answer the age old question:

"Who's that eating the Chinese food with Michael, Sonny, Tom, Tessio, and Clemenza?" in the scene where they are waiting to find out where the Sollozzo meeting will take place.

Some here say it's Rocco, but others think it looks nothing like him.
Here are some pics that may help:

[Linked Image]

More interestingly, there's a second mystery man. Not when they're eating, but when leaving. The first one looks like the guy at the table, but who's the second guy??

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'll try to get more pics of Rocco when I get some time....

Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28403
05/31/05 04:05 PM
05/31/05 04:05 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Originally posted by Harlan via J Geoff:
I think I chould eliminate the reference to "Clemenza's car"; Given that Sonny made it explicit in the film that Tessio should pick up Michael.
...and here it is:

[Linked Image]

When I get time, I'll get pics of the cars, too....

Oh, and just for fun: grin

[Linked Image]

Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28404
05/31/05 04:06 PM
05/31/05 04:06 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by J Geoff:
[Linked Image]

Now in this pic the profile does look like Rocco.
I'm picturing the profile shot of Rocco from GF2 when he is taking out Roth at the airport. I have been one of the many who said that it was NOT Rocco, but now looking at these profile shots, Turnbull may be right!

Funny Geoff that you should bring up the second mystery man. last night I watched the scene several times and freeze framed it several times and noticed this second guy. Right after I watched it I PMed Plaw about this mystery 2nd guy. Tessio's bodyguard maybe?

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28405
05/31/05 05:15 PM
05/31/05 05:15 PM
Staten Island / New Jersey
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

IMO, it's definitely Rocco.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28406
05/31/05 05:30 PM
05/31/05 05:30 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Has anyone considered the possibility that it was SUPPOSED to be Rocco but they filmed the scene with a "double"? Maybe Rocco wasn't available that day of filming (i.e. he was taking acting lessons). ohwell

Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28407
05/31/05 05:35 PM
05/31/05 05:35 PM
Don Sicilia Offline
Don Sicilia  Offline

Wow, welcome Mr. Lebo! I echo the sentiments of my compadres here - your book is a must have - in fact, I just got it for my birthday last week (although I've been meaning to buy it for years!) Hopefully, it won't take me so long to buy your revised version! smile

Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28408
05/31/05 09:01 PM
05/31/05 09:01 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Now I am convinced that it was Rocco. It makes sense to that he was at the table. Let us remember that he was brought in to replace Paulie, who himself was given some pretty responsible tasks by The Corleones . So if you really think about it, it is not that far fetched that Rocco would be sitting in on this. After all he was, at this point, Clemenza's right hand and protoge.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28409
05/31/05 10:17 PM
05/31/05 10:17 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Don Geoff,

Next time you talk to "Guest 24", ask him who this mystery man is from this thread Trivia: Who Is This Guy Thanks alot smile wink

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28410
05/31/05 10:21 PM
05/31/05 10:21 PM
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

Originally posted by SC:
Has anyone considered the possibility that it was SUPPOSED to be Rocco but they filmed the scene with a "double"? Maybe Rocco wasn't available that day of filming (i.e. he was taking acting lessons). ohwell
There was never any doubt in my mind that it is Rocco.
JMO, YMMV.

Re: Godfather Legacy - Shooting Locations #28411
05/31/05 10:59 PM
05/31/05 10:59 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Another view. This guy definitely is NOT Rocco:

[Linked Image]

A closeup:

[Linked Image]

BTW - watch the scene carefully.... there were a few other "no-names" there (although they weren't sitting at the table). I wouldn't lose any sleep over this - its just an oversight or a mistake or one of those things that simply doesn't have an answer. Coppola isn't God and he's entitled to "make a mistake".

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull