GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 328 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,890
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,327
Posts1,058,665
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Did we all think it would be perfect? #278731
12/02/04 04:34 PM
12/02/04 04:34 PM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline OP
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline OP
Underboss
New Market, MD
With the novel and first two films being damn near perfect, and Part III being a worthy conclusion, perhaps we've set our sights a little too high. I'm about 200 pages into the book, and while it is tedious at times, and head scratch inducing (ie, confusing), I think the book is going pretty well and has picked up its pace where I currently am.

As for Winegardner, perhaps he wasn't the best choice for the book. But you have to admire his changes or expansion of the GF universe. If he was going to simply recycle the same stuff we've seen before, and add nothing new to the universe, then as an author, it wouldn't even be worth writing. While he still manages to recycle some stuff, I think he does a good job bringing new ideas in.

We're always going to be spoiled by the original book and movies. We're always going to expect anything with the GF name on it to be the next masterpiece. Could the book be better? Sure... but at the same time, we have to remembre that it's entertainment, and we're supposed to have fun with it.

My saying is, anything to get me back into the Godfather state of mind is a good thing.

Re: Did we all think it would be perfect? #278732
12/02/04 04:56 PM
12/02/04 04:56 PM
Staten Island / New Jersey
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

Staten Island / New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by DeathByClotheshanger:
With the novel and first two films being damn near perfect, and Part III being a worthy conclusion, perhaps we've set our sights a little too high. I'm about 200 pages into the book, and while it is tedious at times, and head scratch inducing (ie, confusing), I think the book is going pretty well and has picked up its pace where I currently am.

As for Winegardner, perhaps he wasn't the best choice for the book. But you have to admire his changes or expansion of the GF universe. If he was going to simply recycle the same stuff we've seen before, and add nothing new to the universe, then as an author, it wouldn't even be worth writing. While he still manages to recycle some stuff, I think he does a good job bringing new ideas in.

We're always going to be spoiled by the original book and movies. We're always going to expect anything with the GF name on it to be the next masterpiece. Could the book be better? Sure... but at the same time, we have to remembre that it's entertainment, and we're supposed to have fun with it.

My saying is, anything to get me back into the Godfather state of mind is a good thing.
I could have accepted the weak storyline, if he hadn't made most of the characters doing things 'out of character'. There are too many examples of outrageous behavior from people, that would just never happen in GF I And II.

Re: Did we all think it would be perfect? #278733
12/02/04 08:41 PM
12/02/04 08:41 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
Exactally. His weak confusing storylines could have possibly been overlooked if he wouldnt have changes the charaters into alien life forms. Not only Freedo, but Mike, Kay, Clemenza and tom, not to mention countless others took on strange and foreign personalities.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: Did we all think it would be perfect? #278734
12/03/04 02:40 PM
12/03/04 02:40 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Sonny Corleone:
Exactally. His weak confusing storylines could have possibly been overlooked if he wouldnt have changes the charaters into alien life forms. Not only Freedo, but Mike, Kay, Clemenza and tom, not to mention countless others took on strange and foreign personalities.
Even Kay?
In what way?
Don Sonny, don't be ruthless, post some spoiler!

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: Did we all think it would be perfect? #278735
12/03/04 06:30 PM
12/03/04 06:30 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Quote:
With the novel and first two films being damn near perfect...perhaps we've set our sights a little too high.
But then, hasn't the author set his sights too high in thinking he can write a worthy, acceptable and successful expansion on a franchise for which expansion is entirely unnecessary?

Quote:
But don't the original films get you in a good enough mood anyway? If the book is far from perfect (and indeed even you as a supporter claim it has its faults), then why would it be worth reading? If it is no way near the standard of the first two (or three, even) films or Puzo's original novel, then why read it? To entertain? Well, if you want to be entertained, you need not look any further than the original films themselves.

I guess at the end of the day, it all depends on whether you think an already as-close-to-perfection-as-possible film franchise needs an inferior addition. I for one do NOT.

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Did we all think it would be perfect? #278736
12/03/04 06:52 PM
12/03/04 06:52 PM
Baltimore, MD
Don Provalone Offline
Capo
Don Provalone  Offline
Capo
Baltimore, MD
Quote:

DBC - I respect your views, but please do not shed any tears for this guy. The novel and the movie series have become a part of 'Americana' (no offense meant to our non-American board members)and actually belongs to world culture. He knew the risks. It is fair to say that we know the stories better than he and none of us would dare take the liberties that he has taken (i.e., Fredo 'The Fabulous' Corleone - gives a new meaaning to a the phrases 'a made member' and 'underboss' - ).

A task of this kind has a binary outcome - either it will be magnificent or it will fail. Sure, I applaude his courage and the right to share his voice with the world. But bottom line - nobody asked him to change what was already embraced.

If you see venom spewing from our key boards, it is only because we 'love' the Godfather. No one means Winegardner any ill will - we are simply saying that he violated the Hippocratic Oath - Do No Harm.

"People who are not serious, should not be taken seriously"
Re: Did we all think it would be perfect? #278737
12/05/04 11:32 PM
12/05/04 11:32 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
Quote:
Originally posted by JustMe:
Even Kay?
In what way?
Don Sonny, don't be ruthless, post some spoiler!
SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING [After joking between themselves about the woods, things being made of of wood, some shit like that]
" Soon Michael and Kay began making out in the dark[of the movie threater] like kids..."Behold," Kay whispered, grabbing his cock. "Wood.""(51) :rolleyes:

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull